PDA

View Full Version : Duxford

Thomas coupling
22nd Apr 2015, 09:06
Are the displays currently planned for this season (next month) worth attending?

The Member
22nd Apr 2015, 11:51
23rd-24th – VE Day Anniversary Airshow (http://www.iwm.org.uk/exhibitions/iwm-duxford/air-shows), IWM Duxford, Cambridgeshire (SATNAV: CB22 4QR) – The VE Day Anniversary Air Show pays tribute to the men, women and children who endured six years of conflict on the fighting fronts and the Home Front of the Second World War. Our flying display honours the Allied forces, and their aircraft, from across the world, which contributed towards Victory in Europe. Across the museum, we remember the fortitude of the British people on the Home Front and evoke the spirit of celebration and weary relief with which they marked VE Day. Join us as we commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day and the people who made victory possible

Wander00
22nd Apr 2015, 12:02
Never been to a Duxford event that wasn't worth seeing, even if last year I had to watch the two Lancasters from Sawston roundabout because until this year Friends of Duxford could not get their discount when booking on line. Now they can. Thanks for the change, Duxford

treadigraph
22nd Apr 2015, 12:11
Flying Legends, 11th and 12th July. If you like jets it's not for you, but if you like piston power en masse, don't miss it!

Thomas coupling
22nd Apr 2015, 16:50
Thanks gentlemen. Are the airshows different each time or just repeats? I'm stuck for time and can only pick one of them.

Thanks in advance

TC

DHfan
23rd Apr 2015, 14:04
The airshows often tend to have a theme, such as VE Day, so choose one that suits your main interests.

Some years we'll go to two or three displays although not for a few years now, sometimes only one but we never miss Flying Legends.

etimegev
23rd Apr 2015, 21:41
Did a trip to Duxford today - first one since I emigrated 20 odd years ago. Most impressed with the layout and exhibits. I was also treated to a Spitfire firing up and taking to the air and a practice air display by a couple of ????

Well worth the time, effort and cash!

Thomas coupling
27th Apr 2015, 13:34
Radio 2 this morning - something about one of the collectors donating a Spitfire to Duxford? Who will own and fly this now then?

pmills575
27th Apr 2015, 15:32
See the link below for info
Spitfire expected to sell for £2.5m | Western Morning News (http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Spitfire-expected-sell-2-5m/story-26395473-detail/story.html)

DHfan
27th Apr 2015, 15:59
The donation of N3200 to the IWM is an extremely generous act by Mr Kaplan.

It could possibly be "bad" news in another way as the IWM don't generally fly their aircraft. Several have arrived in the past in airworthy condition, never to fly again.
I can't say they're wrong as presumably budgets, responsibility to preserve and even operational requirements affect decisions but it would be a shame after such an amazing restoration to airworthiness.

Terry McCassey
28th Apr 2015, 10:30
DHfan - looks like the aircraft is up for auction on July 19th and the proceeds will go the IWM so I imagine the Spitfire ought to remain airworthy with it's new and very lucky owner. . . .

DaveReidUK
28th Apr 2015, 13:35
DHfan - looks like the aircraft is up for auction on July 19th and the proceeds will go the IWM so I imagine the Spitfire ought to remain airworthy with it's new and very lucky owner. . . .Two different aircraft, as per the article linked in post #9.

One (P9374) being auctioned, with the proceeds to the RAFBF (not the IWM).

The other (N3200) donated to the IWM. That's the one that there's concern about its continuing preservation in airworthy condition.

Terry McCassey
29th Apr 2015, 13:34
A senior moment - thanks Dave for the correction . . .

WHBM
5th May 2015, 17:10
we never miss Flying Legends.
Quite so !

I believe that the large USAF WW2 museum is being refurbished, and is closed for the year. It's quite a significant proportion of the total exhibits so there's a lesser static experience for a while. What has happened to the aircraft inside ?

VictorGolf
5th May 2015, 17:23
By and large they have been redistributed around the site. The B-17,B-24, P-51 and SR-71 are now all in Airspace.

DHfan
5th May 2015, 17:34
If anything it could be a better experience.
The USAF museum is so crowded with exhibits it's quite difficult to see some of the aircraft.
On the other hand, Airspace was pretty full already...

etimegev
6th May 2015, 16:26
When I was there in April all the USAF exhibits seemed to be still in the building but gathering a great deal of dust as the contractors worked around them. Can't see how they could get anything else into Airspace.

GeeRam
7th May 2015, 12:08
When I was there in April all the USAF exhibits seemed to be still in the building but gathering a great deal of dust as the contractors worked around them. Can't see how they could get anything else into Airspace.

SR-71, B-17 and B-24 now sitting in Airspace

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8798/17334914231_67413395be_b.jpg

If IWM have any sense, they will tow out the B-17 and B-24 onto the flight line for Flying Legends......

Which means it won't happen :rolleyes:

etimegev
7th May 2015, 15:59
Ahh! That makes sense. On 23 Apr there was the Victor K1A sitting in the naughty corner there. Has that been taken outside again?