PDA

View Full Version : Aston Down

jetslut
21st Apr 2015, 16:16
Being a son of the West Country, I grew up in the 60's early 70's watching the 'Reds' practising their hooliganism in the Gnats from Kemble, my school reports reflected those longing glances from classroom to (what seemed then), permanently azure skies. Comments such as "Would do far better if he concentrated more on what's happening within the classroom that without", but I digress.

Often passing Aston Down in those days, I have vague memories of seeing 'mothballed' aircraft parked on the western apron, not a clue what they were but was hoping that perhaps someone can shed some light.
It could be the onset of Alzheimer's or some other occasion that I'm confusing with, it's just the memory seems so vivid.

JS

Linedog
21st Apr 2015, 19:53
More info here Aston Down - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Down)

Yellowjack99
21st Apr 2015, 22:50
I'm a member of the Gliding Club there and did some research at English Heritage archives in Swindon last summer. The UK aerial survey photos of the late 40s show many many aircraft parked up and being broken up after the war, and older members of the Club tell tales of the same. Walking in the locations it doesn't take long to come across recognisable if mangled small bits of aircraft.

I did post a couple of the photos on the Clubs Facebook page if you manage to find it, copyright English Heritage though.

aw ditor
22nd Apr 2015, 07:11
ISTR it was an RLG for CFS/Rissy' in the 60s'?

A.D.

BEagle
22nd Apr 2015, 07:59
It was indeed an RLG for Hell-on-the-Hill!

When I was doing my basic flying training on the JP3 at The Towers, during one session my new B2 QFI announced; "OK, take me to Aston Down for some circuits!".

I'd never heard of the place before, so fished out my local area map to try and find it. "WTF are you doing?", queried my QFI. "Looking for Aston Down, Sir", was my reply. "Look - it's OVER THERE, you dimwit", he said, pointing at an aerodrome in the distance.

"But Sir, that's BARKSTON HEATH!"
"Err.....!"

:\

NutLoose
22nd Apr 2015, 20:28
The May edition of Flypast has an article on the airworthy Tiffie rebuild and it says it was held in store at 20MU Aston Down in 47 until it was transferred to the Indian Airforce along with her sisters, May 48

bvcu
23rd Apr 2015, 08:30
during my time at boscombe in the 80's our spare engines were stored there.

binbrook
23rd Apr 2015, 11:51
When I dropped my instructor off there in 1955 to collect a Vampire there was a row of what I think were Tempest IIs parked in the open with 'balloon fabric' covers over the engines. The hangars might have been interesting but I didn't even get the chance to shut down.