PDA

View Full Version : Air Clues Spring 2015 : Now Available

CoffmanStarter
21st Apr 2015, 12:40
For those interested ... Issue 15 is now available ...

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/6547C11A_5056_A318_A8E29A8B2A7F8407.pdf

Best ...

Coff

glad rag
21st Apr 2015, 14:28
There's some really good stuff in this issue, blast from the past, however, rocks :ooh:

Fitter2
21st Apr 2015, 16:59
I see my (very) old friend Winco Spry is concerned about the collision risk with HAND gliders.

While hang-glider pilots are just as concerned, a bit of balsa can't do much harm to a Typhoon, can it?

(Proof reading services available at low cost)

vintage ATCO
21st Apr 2015, 19:33
Thanks, always enjoy reading Air Clues. However, aren't the bold paragraph headings in the yellow box on page 28 "Altimetry System Error" QFE/QNH transposed? And I thought QNH assumes International Standard Atmosphere. The pressure corrected for temperature (and used by meteorologists) is QFF.

When I were a lad we use to read the pressure from a Kew pattern barometer and apply corrections to get QFE/QNH. Occasionally we had to calculate QFF for the Met Office and had to take into account OAT.

Haven't done altimetry for years, Need to lie down now.

CoffmanStarter
21st Apr 2015, 19:54
That's a bit embarrassing :eek:

Along with the wrong TLA for 'Flight Technical Error' on the diagram page 29

John Eacott
21st Apr 2015, 21:59
Nearly as embarrassing as the Blast from the Past consistently spelling hangar with an e.

:p

MPN11
22nd Apr 2015, 10:13
I found the article on ATCOs at Leeming retaining currency rather interesting. It was always a problem in the days when we had NCO Local Controllers who couldn't work in any other position, so the rest of Tower never got a chance to control up there unless an NCO went on leave.

I got badly burned at Tengah on that, when I found myself in Local after an absence of about 12 months ... a very busy day, and within an hour I completely lost the 'picture'. IIRC I had about 8-10 in the circuit, and had to ask everyone to just fly round the circuit pattern while I worked out who was who.

OC Flying* wanted my head on a plate for that one, but fortunately SATCO convinced him that it was 'justifiable incompetence' due to lack of practice!

* Subsequently an ACM