PDA

View Full Version : Tablet Yoke Mount

londonblue
20th Apr 2015, 12:06
I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand tablet to run something like SkyDemon in the plane. I'm looking at a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 or 4 since I want one with a built in GPS rather than an iPad where unless I get one that takes a SIM card I don't get GPS.

My problem is that the Samsungs come in 3 sizes, 7", 8" and 10". I think the 10" will be too big, but don't know if the 7" would be too small.

My kids both have 7" Samsungs, and my wife has an iPad mini. The Samsungs are slightly smaller than the iPad mini, and I think they would also be too small for my preference. However, is the iPad mini about the same size as the 8" Samsung (in which case it would be perfect)?

Then we get onto the question of yoke mounts. I can find ones for 7" tablets, but not 8" ones. Does anyone know if it is possible to find a mount that fits an 8" since that is my preference?

banditb6
21st Apr 2015, 08:11
Personally i use the Samsung tab 4 8" and find it to be excellent, not too big for it to be in the way but big enough to view everything and clearly.

I know you mention yoke mount but thought this was worth a mention , I use it on aircraft with a stick and it never drops off (suction or magnet part) doesn't vibrate making the screen hard to read and you can out it in any position you like! Cant rate it highly enough. Phone Holder for Car Windshield | Cell Phone Windshield Mount | magicMOUNT window | by Scosche (http://www.scosche.com/mmwindow)

londonblue
21st Apr 2015, 09:56
Thanks Bandit. Can I ask, out of interest, where you mount yours?

Cusco
21st Apr 2015, 11:16
I use a second hand 7 inch Nexus (2012) mounted on a dedicated mount made by Brodit (£30 ish).

It is on very low profile ball mount that allows it to rotate through 360 deg from portrait to landscape and also tilts through about 15 degrees, which nicely allow adjustment to stop sun reflections.

It is excellent and through the industry standard four mount holes it fits onto an old Garmin pilot 3 yoke mount I had lying around so it nicely fits on the yoke.

I bought it online from a company called mobilefun dot co dot uk who have a massive range of Brodit and other products to fit all makes and models of tablets and an extremely rapid helpline to allow you to get the correct one (different Nexuses are different thicknesses.)

Certainly worth a look:

If I knew how to post photos on here I'd post a pic, but alas.....

n5296s
21st Apr 2015, 17:48
I'm very happy with the way I have it arranged. Can't post a link, but g00gle 'n5296s yoke' and it's the first hit.

BackPacker
21st Apr 2015, 18:23
For any type of mount, I always go to RAM mounts. They have a modular system for literally anything that you may want to mount on anything else. Including decent swivel mounts and all sorts of extensions.

http://www.rammount.com/

The combinations are endless but they've got a pretty good wizard on the site which will help you find the right combination of mount parts that form the solution for your problem.

banditb6
23rd Apr 2015, 19:30
Yeah just underneath the dv window on a bubble canopy aircraft.