PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 Update problems

P.Pilcher
19th Apr 2015, 14:14
Has anybody else had any trouble with the latest batch of Win 7 updates?

Home Premium on my laptop updated normally, but when I repeated the process on my desktop using Win 7 Ultimate, the O.S got trashed. The system was unable to install all the updates for some reason and when I got the OS running at last in its partially updated state the bar at the bottom of the screen had a completely changed appearance, I had no sound drivers and no networking facilities thus no internet access at all. Fortunately, I never scrubbed XP off my other hard drive so by changing over the plugs I have a viable OS on which I am writing this. No banking to be done on this machine though!

P.P.

Saab Dastard
19th Apr 2015, 16:57
No problems on 4 PCs running Win 7 Pro.

Did you allow any hardware drivers to be updated by Windows update? That's a recipe for disaster in my experience.

SD

TWT
19th Apr 2015, 20:46
Can't you rollback to the restore point that is created when updates are downloaded ?Just did mine on a Win7 Pro,no problems.

P.Pilcher
20th Apr 2015, 20:56
Oh no - first thing I tried. There are no restore points at all - all those have been deleted as well. It is almost as though some form of virus got in on top of Win update.

Thanks for your comment Saab. I have had problems before by updating hardware drivers - these were all original.

If my original Win 7 disk will not repair the system then it is a case of re-formatting and starting again I suppose. At least they can't do this to XP any more as they are no longer updating it!

P.P.

Capn Bloggs
21st Apr 2015, 06:22
Something nasty went out from Windows Update a few days ago. KB3045999 wouldn't install. I couldn't run some Java stuff, updated Java and still no joy. After a bit of effort, Acronis got me back to pre-that bad update. I then waited for a couple of days and lo and behold, the total size of the update changed, then changed again. I then re-updated and all was fine.

Only happened on one of my machines though!

Ancient Observer
21st Apr 2015, 13:04
My 7 home premium appears to be fine, and happy with the updates.

Gsxr600
21st Apr 2015, 14:17
P.P.

oddly enough XP is still updated via Windows Update even though it was supposed to be switched off. I think its just not supposed to be receiving any new updates, but pretty sure Ive seen the odd new update aswell since the switch off!!

cherokeephil
2nd May 2015, 19:24
P.Pilcher

If it's any consolation, have not updated my laptop since 2013 and it is running beautifully with no probs. Updates generally clog up your system with unnecessary information which then fills up your hard drive, next thing you know you have a crash

sorry to hear of the prob, best thing would be wipe your computer and restore to factory condition

Booglebox
3rd May 2015, 13:23
If it's any consolation, have not updated my laptop since 2013 and it is running beautifully with no probs. Updates generally clog up your system with unnecessary information which then fills up your hard drive, next thing you know you have a crash

I'm starting to empathise a little bit with my old buddy Mix... after reading that I started twitching uncontrollably and frothing slightly at the mouth.

Coffin Dodger
3rd May 2015, 19:01
Bought a new laptop last week running Win 8.1 so decided it was maybe time to allow updates on older Win 7 lappy (turned off auto update back in Feb since it always slowed it to a crawl several times a week while I was trying to work).:mad:

The best part of two and a half hours later on a reasonably fast connection, it announced 41462 files had been changed/installed/configured. All those in just two months!!

No apparent problems afterwards though, touch wood.

P.Pilcher
4th May 2015, 15:18
Well, since I started this thread, I have done nothing except run the win defender, avast and other updates available. My network now works beautifully again, I don't have problems trying to access the "my documents folder" being locked and not unlockable and as my computer operates behind my ISP's protection, I am keeping my fingers crossed. I have done nothing to repair my win 7 disc yet, I can access its file system using XP and that "my documents" folder remains locked, nomatter what I try!

P.P.

cherokeephil
4th May 2015, 23:47
"Booglebox"

Plain English would be good, thanks in advance:D