PDA

View Full Version : Now, where did we put those RN Harriers?

Courtney Mil
19th Apr 2015, 00:53
Not the RAF ones, just the ones that won the last Falklands War. Because...

Argentina launches lawsuit against Falkland oil drillers - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32354222)

AGS Man
19th Apr 2015, 06:10
CM
I believe theres a quite a few used for ground handling at Culdrose.
At least they're only launching a law suit rather than launching something a bit more deadly!

chopper2004
19th Apr 2015, 07:15
Not sure how long these court cases run, perhaps by the time anything comes to fruition depending on dodgy lawyers etc etc :D , the F-35 will be embarked on QE and be setting sail with a modest battlegroup

Cheers

dat581
19th Apr 2015, 08:51
Shouldn't a Type 45 or two take care of anything the Arigies can put in the air?

Archimedes
19th Apr 2015, 08:54
Not the RAF ones just the ones that won the last Falklands War. Because...

Argentina launches lawsuit against Falkland oil drillers - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32354222)

*cough* 1(F) GR3s came in handy too...

Maj Gen Julian Thompson. I was Commander of the 3rd Commando Brigade in the Falklands. In his presentation, CAS said that his squadron helped to turn the tide at Goose Green. I can tell him that it did turn the tide. 2PARA were stuck on a forward slope, in daylight, being engaged by 35 mm AAA at 2000 metres range, something to which they had absolutely no answer. Suddenly, like cavalry to the rescue out of the sky, came three Harriers which promptly took out those guns and turned the tide of the battle. There is a tale behind that too. We had previously been supported by CAS’s squadron on exercise in Norway and we had a very high opinion of what they could do. While we were on our way south, I turned to my primary FAC, who was an RAF Phantom back-seater on a ground tour, and told him that I needed No 1 Sqn. He said that I would never get them. I asked why and he replied that they simply couldn’t get there. Thank God you did Peter, because you really did pull the fat out of the fire for us, for which I’d like to say thank you, very much indeed.

(RAF Historical Society Journal, vol 30, 2003 - transcript of seminar on Corporate).

CoffmanStarter
19th Apr 2015, 09:02
Courtney ...

Don't worry ... should there be any need for 'unpleasantness' we can do what we do best in the UK these days ... outsource the job to India and their SHAR's :oh:

Minnie Burner
19th Apr 2015, 09:27
LINK:
Culdrose trains flight deck teams for future carriers | Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2015/february/19/150219-culdrose-jets)

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/~/media/royal%20navy%20responsive/images/news/where%20we%20are/air%20stations/culdrose/150219%20culdrose%20jets/150219-culdrose-jets-6.jpg?mh=447&mw=980&thn=0

BEagle
19th Apr 2015, 10:04
Not just the excellent SHAR2 (Good morning, Sharkey!), but perhaps also Vulcan XH558 might find itself back in its old role once this year's air display season is over?

Even XM655 and XL426, if the government had the money and RR could sort out the engines?

Pontius Navigator
19th Apr 2015, 13:22
Better C17, MOAB, Voyager and a Sqn of Typhoons

The longest fighter sweep in history of you see what I mean :)

Roadster280
19th Apr 2015, 13:48
How would a Black Buck mission look in 2015? Of course the idea is not to lose the islands in the first place now, and even if that happened, Tomahawk or Harpoon (naval type) attack may well be preferred, but I'm curious as to what it would look like in the modern age.

I know there have been threads on this before, but the Tristar & VC10 have gone, and there are options of Tornado or Typhoon for attack (I would say bombing, but I guess missiles might be appropriate too).

I assume the Voyager can carry & dispense more fuel than the Victors, but then the attack aircraft is much different to the Vulcan. Nowhere near as many bombs, but lots of different options.

The Typhoon can be supersonic to get there and get back more quickly, but the tankers aren't. Indeed is that a correct statement re the Typhoon with a war-load of ground attack munitions? Typhoon fully bombed up, long range attack, what would be the optimum speed? Could you reasonably use more than one aircraft?

Just curious, and certainly not looking for anything other than public domain info.

Hempy
19th Apr 2015, 14:37
Going through the court system they could expect a verdict sometime in the 2020's. X-Wings vs Tie Fighters :zzz:

Bevo
19th Apr 2015, 17:29
Argentina has begun legal proceedings against three British and two US companies for drilling oil near the Falkland Islands. So now they want to start a fight with both countries: would be an interesting joint venture. But then not many folks are suggesting their government is all that smart.

Analysts suggested Argentina would have little joy in the courts.

"The Argentines will lose," Malcolm Bracken at Redmayne Bentley told the BBC. "They have no jurisdiction - the UN settled the matter in 1982."

In fact, he said the country's current position would prove counterproductive. "All they're doing is handing any possible benefit that Argentina may have had from the oil boom in the south Atlantic to Chile. "There'd be an awful lot of logistic support needed for drilling that simply isn't available in the Falklands. They'd need a port somewhere and that's likely to be near Chile rather than Argentina, so they're cutting their own nose off to spite their face."

Fareastdriver
19th Apr 2015, 18:35
Plus the fact that all the rousterbouts, gophers and humpers and dumpers will now not come from Argentina.

ShotOne
19th Apr 2015, 18:59
The Argentinians don't have a great track record in that field. The Argentine Navy had one of its sail training ships, the Libertad, impounded by the country's creditors in Ghana. Good luck to them if thats the road they want to go down.

In terms of reinforcement, we are massively better placed than we were in 1982. The Voyager fleet could position combat aircraft there far more rapidly than the Navy ever could.

Fishtailed
19th Apr 2015, 22:02
In terms of reinforcement, we are massively better placed than we were in 1982.

Words fail me.

Courtney Mil
19th Apr 2015, 22:53
In terms of reinforcement, we are massively better placed than we were in 1982.

Words fail me.

Well, in terms of speed, the Voyager fleet would certainly shift lots of troops, aircraft and supplies to MPA a lot faster than a fleet of ships could. Having a land base there allows us to do that. That's why we built the airfield. So ShotOne makes a good point.

In '82, we had no airfield there so we had to take the slower option of taking the floating runway with the only jets it could carry and moving all our fighting men and logistics by sea. Things are different now. That's not to say that HMS Ocean and her friends wouldn't be bulk carriers to back up and augment the initial air deployment.

camelspyyder
19th Apr 2015, 23:50
An airbridge to the Falklands? Will not their 24 shiny new Gripens possibly make that a little awkward?

Surplus
20th Apr 2015, 00:50
An airbridge to the Falklands? Will not their 24 shiny new Gripens possibly make that a little awkward?

But we've got our aircraft equipped carriers to provide CAP- er, hang on...

Bigbux
20th Apr 2015, 10:04
But we've got our aircraft equipped carriers to provide CAP- er, hang on...

Why would you need a constant sea-based CAP? Isn't it the point that things have moved on? A type 45 gives you early warning and a first line surface to air layer, ashore you have FS3 Rapier (to be replaced by CAMM -L) and a well-found airbase with Typhoon. Not to mention what you can stuff out of submarine's launch tube nowadays.

Rhino power
20th Apr 2015, 14:05

Possibly, if they actually had any... :}

-RP

Marcantilan
20th Apr 2015, 14:46
Bring the carrier, they are starting a lawsuit! Really?

In any case, a SHAR flying cost per hour is around US$ 5.000 and a good UK based law firm will charge you US$ 750 per hour.

mr fish
20th Apr 2015, 20:42
idle thought...could the SHARS (given dire need) be bought back to service?

surely its possible given what IRAN has achieved in the face of longterm sanctions with her fleet of tomcats and phantoms....not to mention the helo and multi engine types.

FISH.

Marcantilan
20th Apr 2015, 21:10
Languishing in Arizona, our once-mighty fleet of Harriers... sold for the price of just ONE of their US-made replacements | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2153741/Languishing-Arizona-mighty-fleet-Harriers--sold-price-just-ONE-US-replacements.html)

You will need Handy Manny first...

Courtney Mil
20th Apr 2015, 21:29
Thank you for the bite, Marcantilan. And for doing the maths on the costs.

But it has raised an interesting point about reinforcement of The Falklands. I feel better about it.

camelspyyder
21st Apr 2015, 01:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelspyyder
Possibly, if they actually had any... :}

Which will available in the South Atlantic first?

Argie Gripens or UK CV-borne F35?

They only ordered theirs last week but I bet they're ready first. :)

DITYIWAHP
21st Apr 2015, 02:20
So how is it that no one notices that a UK company going to profit from arming an enemy? Maybe we should ask BAe Systems to build a deliberate flaw in the landing gear, just in case... you know.

skydiver69
21st Apr 2015, 08:09
Which will available in the South Atlantic first?

Argie Gripens or UK CV-borne F35?

They only ordered theirs last week but I bet they're ready first.

They haven't ordered any yet and the chances of them being allowed to buy those aircraft which have a substantial number of British or European components is virtually nil.

ShotOne
21st Apr 2015, 08:24
I hope they wouldn't embargo the ejection seats. A golden opportunity to serve our national interest, engage in product placement and arrange follow-on order all in one.