PDA

View Full Version : Getting started in Asia, Clues and tips please!

LowLevelAviator
17th Apr 2015, 18:21
Dear fellow PPRUNErs,

I hold my CPL/IR and for some reasons haven't started working yet.
Lately I have started looking at my options away from my country and South Asia and Far East really excites me, those are the places I have always wanted to live and fly in them.
Does anyone have any tips or leads on how to get started in Philippines or Indonesia or any other country around there?
I'm sure there are a lot of people here who would really appreciate some useful information from you lovely people.

P.S. Please don't say susi air, cause they changed requirements to 750 hours TT. :ugh:

eclipse245
21st Apr 2015, 21:13
Same boat my friend. Fresh out of flight school with a CPL, Multi IFR and 220+ hours.

Looking to get out of Canada ideally to skip the "ramp wait" and go for a more adventurous lifestyle.

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

I'm willing to travel wherever if that's what it takes.

Thanks in advance.

Black Crow
21st Apr 2015, 23:01
You are not going to get very far in Asia being an FO, an expat FO none the less. There are plenty of locals to fill the bill.

LowLevelAviator
22nd Apr 2015, 04:00
Thanks for your answer Black Crow, but I'm not talking about FO, it's far away from my mind at this stage. What I am asking is better to be said this way,
"Does anyone has any leads on how can someone not from That side of Asia, get any position as a Flight Instructor, small charter pilot, Air Taxi pilot, etc." I'm looking at my options in a "more hands-on flying" environment.

Roti Canai
22nd Apr 2015, 09:05
Not sure were your Home town is but maybe better to get something there or nearby first and retry later with some more experience and hours.

Black Crow
23rd Apr 2015, 12:57
"Does anyone has any leads on how can someone not from That side of Asia, get any position as a Flight Instructor, small charter pilot, Air Taxi pilot, etc." I'm looking at my options in a "more hands-on flying" environment.

Without experience you are simply not marketable. There are locals doing that kind of work as well, and the local will always be hired before you.

One thing to remember about expat flying in Asia, "you're relevant until you are not".

LowLevelAviator
23rd Apr 2015, 19:29
Thanks everyone.
To those who said get some experience in my home country, I must say, unfortunately General Aviation is quiet dead in here and there are only couple of airlines operating here, and the only way to get in is if you have some really strong connections, so yeah, ain't possible at all.
By the way thanks everyone, and this does not mean I'd stop looking at fulfilling my dream, even if it takes couple of more years.

Cheers