PDA

View Full Version : IAS vs Mach philosophy

A.FLOOR
14th Apr 2015, 12:45
Can anyone explain why Boeing has chosen to use IAS over Mach in it's MCP design. Above the crossover altitude, in the high speed, high altitude regime, why, when opening the speed window is the default IAS?

wiggy
14th Apr 2015, 17:34
One explanation I've heard is that it's to keep things simple in the case of an emergency descent. By defaulting to an IAS you avoid the risk of accidentally descending down to lower levels at your cruise level Mach No and busting Vmo on the way down!

No doubt the truth is somewhat different, and is out there!

BBK
14th Apr 2015, 20:09
One reason could be an emergency descent where it's suspected, or even confirmed, that the aircraft has sustained structural damage. If you descend in Mach then as Wiggy says you'd end with a very high IAS. Perhaps not good in that situation!

Interested to hear any other ideas?

RTO
14th Apr 2015, 21:37
Can anyone explain why Boeing has chosen to use IAS over Mach in it's MCP design. Above the crossover altitude, in the high speed, high altitude regime, why, when opening the speed window is the default IAS?
Which Boeing is this?

stilton
15th Apr 2015, 06:18
Its certainly the case on the 757 / 767.

Winnerhofer
15th Apr 2015, 07:30
By T.S.
You want consistent behavior; when the pilot takes the same action the display system should respond in the same way, otherwise you get into situational awareness issues.
IAS is a better default than Mach because it's never wrong, just sometimes not optimal.
Having it open to Mach all the time would be confusing as hell below crossover altitude because nobody thinks in Mach down there.

wiggy
15th Apr 2015, 10:13
Its certainly the case on the 757 / 767.

RTO

I'll add the 744 (unless there's been a change) and 777 (unless there's been a very very recent change!) to that list.

latetonite
16th Apr 2015, 09:20
During take off and approach, when you are likely to fly with the MCP, I take it you do not want to fly with reference to Mach Nr.

Derfred
18th Apr 2015, 11:49
Doesn't seem to cause any issues on the 737, where it defaults to Mach above the crossover and IAS below.