PDA

View Full Version : Part 61 Instrument Rating

Seiran
14th Apr 2015, 04:19
Hello all,

Just a bit of confusion going on with my licence and privileges. I have IAP 2D and 3D on my licence however on my flight test I only have done an ILS and an RNAV.

Part 61.680 subsection (5) states that:
(5) The holder of an instrument rating is authorised to conduct an instrument approach operation in an aircraft using a procedure of a particular kind only if the holder has:
(a) completed training in the conduct of instrument approach operations using the procedure; and
(b) demonstrated, to a person mentioned in subregulation (6), his or her competence in the conduct of instrument approach operations using the procedure.

Does the "procedure" mentioned here refer to a 2D or 3D procedure, an azimuth or CDI procedure or each procedure individually, NDB, VOR, DGA etc? There is no reference in the Part 61 regulation.

Going over to the Flight Crew Licencing Procedures Manual;
Part 10.3.1
Under Part 61 there is no differentiation with respect to grade of Instrument Rating ie there
are no command or co-pilot grades issued. The Instrument Rating will only differ between
holders on the basis of the endorsements they hold on their respective ratings.
Instrument approach privileges are not derived from the navigation aid but are given on the
basis of the design of the approach, being either 2 dimensional or 3 dimensional. The 3
dimensional approach differs in that it provides final approach guidance in the vertical
dimension in addition to lateral guidance.
So a holder of 2 dimensional instrument approach endorsement (2D) can fly any 2D
approach irrespective of the type of navigation aid signal being used to derive position
information.

I am getting mixed interpretations from different Pilots as to whether or not I am allowed to conduct VOR approaches, DGA, or NDB approaches.

I am very confused and any help would be appreciated as to whether or not I need to fork out more money to be able to do all kinds of approaches.

Seiran
14th Apr 2015, 04:22
Obviously since I am not current for an NDB/azimuth guidance operation I imagine I would have to do a proficiency check or something but considering the above am I allowed to do VOR approach or DGA using CDI guidance?

LeadSled
14th Apr 2015, 04:27
Seiran,
Nobody on pprune can give you a ruling, Part 61 is a complex and contradictory mess.
Get a formal interpretation from CASA, and get the answer in writing.
Then, if there is any dispute in the future, you have something to use as evidence in any administrative or criminal action by anybody in CASA who disputes the formal CASA written advice you have received.
Remember, IT MUST BE IN WRITING!!!
Tootle pip!!

Seiran
14th Apr 2015, 04:35
Just emailed CLARC I will make sure to save their reply! But on a slightly un related note say if your 90 currency has passed by, how do you become recurrent again? A proficiency check or just a dual flight with an instructor to do the approaches?

Tankengine
14th Apr 2015, 05:30
Why not just you doing it in the aircraft in VMC?:confused:

Duck Pilot
14th Apr 2015, 06:36
Also If you haven't flown IFR for more than 6 months you need to do a dual check ride with an instructor, or an IPC. I believe it also the same for a PIFA.

It confusing I know....

uncopilot
15th Apr 2015, 02:18
G'day Duck,

I asked the same question to CASA Licensing at the time Part 61 became law. I wanted to know if I could fly a VOR (in actual IMC) considering on my CAR5 MECIR I had NDB, RNAV, ILS & DGA, but not VOR. The answer was a lengthy well worded easy to understand reply. The fundamental part of the reply is this;

Transition:
I take it that the pilot holds a part 61 instrument rating with multi-engine aeroplane instrument endorsement, IAP 2D and IAP 3D instrument endorsements. The pilot is therefore authorised to conduct IFR operations in single and multi-engine aeroplanes and conduct instrument approach operations using 2D and 3D systems.

The pilot has already demonstrated competency conducting the following kinds of instrument approach procedures—NDB, RNAV/GNSS, DGA and ILS. Therefore, the pilot can conduct any of those kinds of procedures.

The pilot has not demonstrated competency conducting a VOR approach operation at any stage in the past. Therefore s/he would have to complete training and be assessed as competency conducting a VOR approach.

You have already written the answer in your question;

Part 61.680 subsection (5) states that:

(a) completed training in the conduct of instrument approach operations using the procedure; and

IE you need training in that specific approach operation using the procedure (VOR) before you can conduct it.

Hope that helps!