PDA

View Full Version : Restricted Privileges? - FI(A) RP

sinn
12th Apr 2015, 21:27
Good evening,

For quite a long time I am a quiet reader of PPRuNe now. I always appreciate the discussions in this forum. Recently I received my FI licence 😊.
Now, the FI licence is restricted for the first 100hrs, I am unsure about my privileges.

FCL.910.FI says
(a) An FI shall have his/her privileges limited to conducting flight instruction under the supervision of an FI for the same category of aircraft nominated by the ATO for this purpose, in the following cases:
(1) for the issue of the PPL, SPL, BPL and LAPL;
(2) in all integrated courses at PPL level, in case of aeroplanes and helicopters;
(3) for class and type ratings for single-pilot, single-engine aircraft, class and group extensions in the case of balloons and class extensions in the case of sailplanes;
(4) for the night, towing or aerobatic ratings.
(b) While conducting training under supervision, in accordance with (a), the FI shall not have the privilege to authorise student pilots to conduct first solo flights and first solo cross-country flights.[...]

How is "supervision" defined? Does it mean the supervisor has to be present at the flight school for each flight? (No solos or xcountries)

If someone with a valid licence wants to do some training, can I log the time as instructing time?

If a pilot hasn't done 3 landings last 90days (no passengers rule) can I (as a FI) sit next to him?

Thanks in advance :confused::)

RTN11
12th Apr 2015, 23:37
The question of how you define supervision comes up again and again, and is really open to interpretation. Obviously if another FI is at the field they could be deemed to be supervising you, but has anyone actually told them they're meant to be? They could be totallly unaware they're meant to be supervising anything. If someone is at home half an hour drive away, but contactable by phone and well aware that they have a supervising responsibility, is that better? I'd say it probably is.

On the other two questions, yes and yes.

sinn
13th Apr 2015, 13:07
Thank you for your reply. That's great to hear, where do I find the official regulations about my last two questions?

Is there something besides the EU 1178 document regarding FI rights?

Level Attitude
13th Apr 2015, 22:58
where do I find the official regulations about my last two questions? Q3
If a pilot hasn't done 3 landings last 90days (no passengers rule) can I (as a FI) sit next to him?FCL.060 Recent experience

(b) Aeroplanes, helicopters, powered-lift, airships and sailplanes. A pilot shall not operate an aircraft in commercial air transport or carrying passengers:

(1) as PIC or co-pilot unless he/she has carried out, in the preceding 90 days, at least 3 take-offs, approaches and landings in an aircraft of the same type or class or an FFS representing that type or class. The 3 take-offs and landingsIf you are sitting next to them as an Instructor then you will be PIC and they will be PUT.

Q2
If someone with a valid licence wants to do some training, can I log the time as instructing time?Depends whether you are just along for the ride, as a passenger, or whether you are PIC and providing instruction
FCL.905.FI FI — Privileges and conditions
The privileges of an FI are to conduct flight instruction for the issue, revalidation or renewal of:

(a) a PPL, SPL, BPL and LAPL in the appropriate aircraft category;

(b) class and type ratings for single-pilot, single-engine aircraft, ……….You cannot be using your privilege (a) as they already have a lifetime Licence; so you must be using your privilege (b) assuming that all and any Class Rating Instruction could be used towards Rating revalidation.

A new FI having to ask about their own privileges :ugh:
EASA is too complicated - yes
Poorly taught FI course - probably

Ex Oggie
14th Apr 2015, 09:04
A new FI having to ask about their own privileges
EASA is too complicated - yes
Poorly taught FI course - probably

Not thoroughly examined? - maybe :hmm: