PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy Journalism at its worst?

Ken Borough
12th Apr 2015, 07:23
A Qantas A330 returned to Sydney today but the Sydney Morning Herald has it totally wrong. I know it's Sunday but that's not an excuse for incorrectly reporting the basic information.

Qantas jet forced into mid-air return (http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/qantas-jet-forced-into-midair-return-20150412-1mjdet.html)

Qantas 787
12th Apr 2015, 07:51
Well nonews.com.au has it as well...........must be quoting the same AAP source rather than thier own journos.

It seems that anything involving Qantas must involve an A380.........

Pinky the pilot
12th Apr 2015, 08:07
Be thankful they didn't refer to it as a Boeing A380.:ugh:

Arnold E
12th Apr 2015, 08:37
Surely the incident is the thing of interest? who gives a rats if it is an "Airbus 777" or a "Boeing Z330"?

Planet Basher
12th Apr 2015, 09:25
Journalism, a trade where the practicioners are trained to expertly report on subjects they know nothing about.

Compylot
12th Apr 2015, 12:05
Oh me! me! me! me!

Is it Geoffrey Thomas? Is it? Is it?

No?

Oh :{

Well I'm sure... being amongst the apex of aviation expertise we can tut tut at yet another poorly worded and factually incorrect literary error.

So, below, in it's entirety, I reproduce said journalistic piece taken directly from Ken Borough's link.

Yes, in it's entirety, verbatim.

A Qantas jet bound for Perth has been forced to return to Sydney Airport after a safety light turned on mid-air.

The Airbus A330 took off soon after 11am but was back on the tarmac by 12.30pm after an indicator light showed a possible issue with the rear cargo doors, a Qantas spokesman said.

"Engineers are inspecting the aircraft. There is no evidence at this stage of a problem," he said.

Passengers will be moved to another flight due to depart Sunday afternoon, he said.

AAP

Gentlemen.

I am at a loss for words.

My mind is scrambled trying to interpret the sloppy journalism displayed here.

Methinks it has something to do with the thronomister?

Please Ken, enlighten those of us who aren't so knowledgeable as yourself and point out the "sloppy journalism" that has so enraged you?

Keg
12th Apr 2015, 12:50
For the idiots out there, the original article has been changed. It was originally published with a photo of an A380 and the general article said A380 also. It's only taken 6+ hours but their error has obviously been pointed out to them.

Compylot
12th Apr 2015, 13:01
My god!!

Keg is what you are saying true?

The original article had a picture of an A380 and NOT an A330?

What has journalism come to in this country???

At least we can take solace in the idea that perhaps our concerted internet campaign has in fact had an influence.

Thank god we didn't have to make a change.org petition!

Snakecharma
12th Apr 2015, 13:15
The news.com.au website still has it as an A380 in the text and pictures.

Compylot
12th Apr 2015, 13:59
Once again Kate's Sunday morning was shattered by the howls of a toddler tantrum demanding breakfast and Octonauts as her husband snored blissfully unaware beside her. With a quick jab into his ribs before leaving the warmth of their bed, she made her way begrudgingly into the kitchen to prepare the Weetbix.

As she squinted into her instant coffee trying to ignore the mess and drown out the merry sounds of abc 4 kids she spied the new Galaxy tablet they had received for free when her husband had signed up for a news.com subscription.

Thankful for the distraction she unlocked the screen and began to browse the news.

Top of the agenda was a small article, accompanied by a picture, of a Qantas aircraft having troubles and making an emergency landing (or so she gathered, I mean any time an aircraft returns it's an emergency isn't it?)

Scrolling further she discovered the benefits of a paleo diet and why the anti vaccination movement might just have a point.

Later that evening, as her husband sat watching Gold Coast Cops, she remembered the news article on the emergency landing and knowing he liked anything to do with planes grabbed the tablet and navigated to the article.....and paused. Something wasn't quite right?

What was it?

Staring intently at the picture headlining the article she realised, that wasn't the aircraft she saw this morning! The photo before her now was of a less bulbous nose, it had winglets and it certainly didn't have two decks!

Kate knew from her frequent trips to Bali with Jetstar that the aircraft she was now staring at wasn't the same plane they had tried to pass off that morning!

Or was it? Perhaps she was just tired after a busy weekend?

Tossing the tablet into her husband's lap she lay down, clutching her head wondering if she really was going mad...