PDA

View Full Version : FI Refresher Seminars

Happy Wanderer
10th Apr 2015, 15:35
Trying to book to attend one in the next few weeks. On-Track Aviation at EGBW is most local to me, but I can't do the April dates. Any particular recommendations based on past experiences would be useful :ok:

Many thanks,
HW

essouira
10th Apr 2015, 20:26
I was recommended a seminar in Shoreham. (have a look at earlier posts in this forum titled "Pooley's Seminar"). I am going next week + will report back on how it goes but this will probably be too late for you !

Happy Wanderer
30th Apr 2015, 15:26
Just to feedback that I attended an FI Refresher Seminar at Pooleys at Shoreham this week and found the two days extremely useful and enjoyable. I chose Pooleys as group sizes are small (10 this week) which is generally a lot less than you'll find at other provider's seminars and made for a much more conducive, dare I say intimate, and an engaging learning experience, at least in my view.

Recommended.

HW

stranotipo
30th Apr 2015, 20:20
Is possible to do them outside of uk?

Same for assessment of competence?

Sorry new to the caa k so I am little bit careful....

Thx

essouira
2nd May 2015, 14:15
I was hesitant about booking the Pooley's seminar at Shoreham as I couldn't find any feedback on previous seminars so I promised to report back to the Forum once I had attended. It was a useful couple of days (and especially good on the EASA changes). There was a varied programme with knowledgeable presenters and plenty of time for questions. It was good to be working in a small group and I have brought away a whole bunch of material for further reference. I think it offers good value.

Pull what
3rd May 2015, 22:01
The weakness of these seminars is that some people are re validating after not having instructed for 20 years. What they need is to know is what has changed in that 20 years but that information doesnt seem to be readily available. The ones I have attended as an observer I thought were padded out with unnecessary waffle.

One presenter was talking about aerobatic instruction to 28 instructors, most of whom will never do aerobatic instruction

Happy Wanderer
3rd May 2015, 23:10
Well the opening session at the Pooley's seminar I attended last week brought everyone up to speed in EASA-land, both from an FI and an RTF-to-ATO perspective. Impossible to cover everything in the time available of course, but a good mix of in-house and external presenters (e.g. NATS) covered a lot of ground over the two days. The A of C provides the real test though - no hiding from that after a long lay-off.

HW

PSF2J
13th May 2015, 17:44
Just completed the AOPA seminar at High Wycombe, with David Scouller, Geoff Prout, Mike Bagshaw, Tim Orchard, and Charlie Brown. One word to sum up the whole thing: OUTSTANDING.

Well worth the time and money.

Thanks to John Pett for the organising too!

essouira
13th May 2015, 19:37
Maybe instructors thinking about their revalidation should read the posts in this forum. Many of us found our seminars really useful and it looks as if both Pooleys seminars in Shoreham and the Aopa seminar mentioned above get good feedback here.

stranotipo
14th May 2015, 09:15
Sorry to reiterate the question but, I could not get a straight answer from the caa uk.

Would be possible to attend a seminar in an ATO not in UK?

Furthermore: could I do the assessment of competence with a non CAA UK EXAMINER?

Thank you very much for your help.

Stranotipo

Whopity
14th May 2015, 15:17
I could not get a straight answer from the caa uk. Why does that not surprise me!

You can attend an approved EASA FI seminar in any State

You can complete the AoC with any EASA FIE subject to their compliance with the EASA Examiner Differences Document (http://easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/Examiner%20Differences%20Document_version_04_2014.pdf), Pages 90-91 for UK

stranotipo
14th May 2015, 15:27
@Whopity:

thank you very much for your answer. It does match my previous experience and understandinf go of this matter but, I am being extra cautious with CAA UK: I really had some weird answers from them and sometimes strange and difficult interpretations that made me extra paranoid!

thx for your help