PDA

View Full Version : Flying at night with FAA PPL

philippevd
10th Apr 2015, 13:01
I couldn't find any info on this online: does anyone know if I'm allowed to fly VFR at night in Europe on the basis of my stand-alone FAA PPL? I have about 20 hours of VFR night flying in the US.

Thanks!

BackPacker
10th Apr 2015, 16:53
In principle, yes, but there are some caveats.

Your FAA PPL allows you to fly an N-reg worldwide, but is also valid for flight on a G-reg (per the ANO - although honestly I don't know if that provision still exists under EASA). If you want to fly any other reg, you need to follow the validation rules for that specific country.

Furthermore, you need to be current. Three landings at night in the last 90 days to carry passengers.

Then there are specific country rules. For instance the Netherlands forbids NVFR completely. All flying at night is done IFR, which requires an IR. The only exception are things like HEMS and police helicopters, and they operate under a specific permission.

TheOddOne
10th Apr 2015, 18:02
Furthermore, you need to be current. Three landings at night in the last 90 days to carry passengers.

With all the upheaval of EASA and SERA, we've still got radically different rules everywhere, even places that are so close to one another with similar conditions.

In the UK, to carry passengers at night, you need to have done 3 takeoffs and landings in the preceding 90 days, only one of which needs to have been at night.

Then there's the confusion surrounding IFR and qualifications required...

TOO

BackPacker
12th Apr 2015, 15:32
True. The FAA requirement is three out of three at night, while JAR-FCL was one out of three. I have not checked the EASA requirements, but I'll take your word that it's one out of three as well.

Level Attitude
12th Apr 2015, 20:27
True. The FAA requirement is three out of three at night, while JAR-FCL was one out of three. I have not checked the EASA requirements, but I'll take your word that it's one out of three as well.
EASA require 1 out of 3. That is all a pilot with an EASA qualification would need.

However someone relying on their FAA qualification(s) must have valid FAA qualification(s). If the FAA require 3 out of 3 in order to be valid then, surely, that is what the pilot must have?

Mach Jump
13th Apr 2015, 01:50
However someone relying on their FAA qualification(s) must have valid FAA qualification(s). If the FAA require 3 out of 3 in order to be valid then, surely, that is what the pilot must have?

Yes.

MJ:ok:

custardpsc
13th Apr 2015, 04:41
Depends on country and reg. If N reg then, yes if the country allows. If not N reg then your licence will likely be valid day VFR only. Country/national restrictions apply as mentioned above, so expect to have to read a few AIP... . Passenger carrying currency will be FAA and requires 3 FULL STOP landings 1 hr after sunset/1 hr before sunrise in previous 90 days.

ChickenHouse
13th Apr 2015, 09:24
How do you distinguish full stop landings from touch&gos, as the log will only state number of landings?

custardpsc
13th Apr 2015, 11:51
I would have written '3 full stop landings' on the relevant line in my logbook on the night that I did them....