PDA

View Full Version : GIV crash at KBED -- report released

OFBSLF
8th Apr 2015, 21:14
I read the following in a Boston Globe article on the report:

Scrutiny in the wake of the crash focused on the plane’s gust lock, a mechanism on several Gulfstream models which locks a plane’s elevators, ailerons and rudder in place to prevent wind damage while parked outdoors. Engaging the gust lock, which is controlled by a red lever to the right of the thrust lever in the Gulfstream IV cockpit, is also supposed to restrict the plane’s power -- limiting its ability to take off.

But in the wake of the crash, Gulfstream issued advisories to pilots warning that takeoff power might be possible in a G-IV, even with the gust lock engaged.

The advisories also urged pilots to disengage the gust lock before starting the plane’s engines, and to check flight controls before beginning their taxi towards takeoff.

But a review of the plane’s data recorder revealed that such checks had been performed in full prior to take off only twice in the previous 175 flights, and were not completed prior to the crash.

Full text is here: NTSB reports reveal Hanscom crash?s tragic last moments before seven people perished - Metro - The Boston Globe (http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/04/08/ntsb-reports-reveal-hanscom-crash-tragic-last-moments-before-seven-people-perished/zGGFJ2cEHJpd7nqlFrXoEM/story.html)

As a lowly SLF, I'm shocked that the pilots would routinely not check that the controls are free prior to flight. Isn't that a standard check on all aircraft?

Jet Jockey A4
8th Apr 2015, 21:41
WOW if true that's pretty sad.

We always check our flight controls.

MungoP
9th Apr 2015, 01:01
I'm impressed by the fact that this information is stored over such a protracted period.
A combined experience of almost 30,000 hrs and they don't perform a simple 'full & free' check... I'd say they'd been very lucky up to that point.

strake
9th Apr 2015, 06:54
That does indeed read pretty bad. After so many years flying, I would have thought the basic check of 'free controls' would be so automatic it would be almost impossible not to do.

Ispahan
9th Apr 2015, 08:23
"But a review of the plane’s data recorder revealed that such checks had been performed in full prior to takeoff only twice in its previous 175 flights, and were not completed prior to the crash"

:bored:

mutt
10th Apr 2015, 15:55
tested positive for ethanol in his blood, but at the equivalent of .035 percent blood alcohol, he was below the legal flying limit of 0.04 percent.

Isn't that kinda high considering the time that they spent on the ground?

galaxy flyer
10th Apr 2015, 16:07
That's what I was thinking, Mutt.

GF

PSF2J
11th Apr 2015, 17:55
ethanol the body naturally produces as it decomposes, and has been known to be mentioned in post-mortems before, but not contributed as a factor. He was under the limit. End of.

I'm more impressed the FDR/CVR recorded the last 175 flights and they were able to check each one for flight control checks.....its amazing what they record on what we do.

I am still amazed they didn't do a full-and-free, surely thats natural instinct.

deefer dog
13th Apr 2015, 01:07
What went wrong with the protection system to prevent TO with gust lock engaged, how could TO thrust be selected, and how did a DFDR record the data of the last 175 departures?

Beats me.

Old Boeing Driver
13th Apr 2015, 01:40
They had auto throttles selected and I "think" the system will give rated power even if the levers do not advance past the stop with the gust lock engaged.

Gulfstream made a supplemental warning after this crash about this.

FLIGHT CREW OPERATIONAL INFORMATION
TO: All Gulfstream Operators
SUBJECT: Flight Controls (ATA 27) – Gust Lock System
Gulfstream issued Maintenance and Operations Letter (MOL) ALL-MOL-14-0015 on June 13, 2014,
which reminded operators of the importance of adhering to Airplane Flight Manual (AFM) procedures
to confirm flight control integrity and freedom of movement. The procedures direct flight crews to
ensure the gust lock is released prior to engine start (not applicable for G650, which does not have a
gust lock system), and that all flight controls are free to move through their full travel prior to taxi and
during subsequent ground movement.
While a throttle interlock is incorporated in the design of the gust lock system, if proper unlock
procedures are not followed, movement of the throttle to a position capable of providing sufficient
engine power for autothrottle engagement and takeoff power may be possible for GIV models.
Throttle movement is not an absolute indicator of the gust lock status for any Gulfstream model. The
freedom of flight control movement is the ultimate indicator the gust lock is fully released for all
Gulfstream models.
As mentioned in the previous MOL, flight crews are reminded to perform the following as set forth in
the applicable AFM procedures for each model aircraft:
 Ensure the gust lock is OFF prior to starting engines (not applicable for G650)
 Check all flight controls for freedom and correct movement prior to taxi/takeoff
 Confirm the elevators are free during the takeoff roll
If you have questions or comments regarding this communication, please contact Customer Support at
800-810-GULF (4853) or 912-965-4178, by fax at 912-965-4184, or by electronic mail at
[email protected] (%74%65%63%68%6e%69%63%61%6c%2e%6f%70%65%72%61%74%69%6f%6e%7 3%40%67%75%6c%66%73%74%72%65%61%6d%2e%63%6f%6d).

67cooper
13th Apr 2015, 03:05
The throttles are mechanically linked to the engines on a G-IV, same with the flight controls and surfaces.

stilton
14th Apr 2015, 09:12
No question this crew made a terrible mistake but that gust lock design
is seriously flawed.

Smilin_Ed
14th Apr 2015, 22:14
It is really unbelievable that any certifying authority would pass on a system where the gust-lock control says the lock is free but it really isn't. There is a lot of blame to go around and it starts with the manufacturer, the certifying authority, the people who actually bought the system, and the pilots. :ugh:

deefer dog
14th Apr 2015, 23:56
Yes, and for an airplane that has been certified for 30 years it is incredible that the flaw was not identified, and that it took a tragedy before operators were informed that it is indeed possible to get TO thrust set on a system that was designed, certified and built to make it impossible.

This could spell some serious sh1t for Gulfstream. I would not like to own shares in whichever company insures them.

exlatccatsa
15th Apr 2015, 02:05
shades of G~KF at Sumburgh almost 36 years ago.

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/1-1981%20G-BEKF.pdf
It should never have happened again!