PDA

View Full Version : Touchdown, then car on runway ahead!

jolihokistix
6th Apr 2015, 12:51
Touch down, then GO round!

JAL plane aborts landing after car spotted on runway at Tokushima airport ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion (http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/jal-plane-makes-emergency-takeoff-after-car-spotted-on-runway-at-tokushima-airport)

White Knight
6th Apr 2015, 13:18
And the news here is?

jolihokistix
6th Apr 2015, 13:30
Well done Captain!

Not so well done, others.

Basil
6th Apr 2015, 14:33
And the news here is?
Probably that the landing isn't complete until you turn off the runway ;)

Mine was on t/o - we continued and he vacated - with hindsight I should have stopped.

Loose rivets
6th Apr 2015, 14:46
1970 Naples. Heat haze. Given the go. Sometime about V1 a fuel bowser appears out of the haze. No chance of stopping, but we'll just get behind it if it doesn't stop. It didn't, but then a further bowser appeared, hooked to the first. With an extra notch of flap that dear little 1-11 hopped over the problem.

The thing is, not a word was said either then, or later. Fun days. Sort of.

Haraka
6th Apr 2015, 15:54
Not in the same league of size, but years ago (1968) at Kidlington, four of us were in a Cherokee 140. LHS was a lad doing his first cross country, RHS instructor ( ex- Hurricanes, Swifts etc.), two more of us studes squashed in the boot.
As can be imagined, take off acceleration was pretty glacial and , just as were were finally approaching lift-off and going over a hump in the grass runway, there suddenly appeared a tractor and gang mower, crossing dead ahead and horribly close.

Instructor calmly announces " I have control",
He then rapidly rotated the beast and we literally ballooned over the tractor to settle down back again on terra firma some yards further on the other side.

" You have control - continue"

And that was that.

JustAnotherPoorSlob
6th Apr 2015, 16:54
Also not in the same league, but I had a wonderful experience with a Blimp some (15?) years ago. A blimp was directly south of the runway and requested clearance to depart south (granted) just as I was on final to land. Let's just say that when a blimp turns, it has a very wide turning circle and the controller didn't understand which way they intended to turn to depart.

Got a nice "thank you" note from the NASA people for my Aviation Safety Reporting System report.

kcockayne
6th Apr 2015, 17:20
Long time ago, at Rennes.
Cleared take off 29 (in English). Just after I started the roll, heard a French light a/c report turning final 11 from a right base & get cleared to land (in French).
Decided that a good look out & early right turn might be prudent !
Just as well,; about 300' on the climb out MS880 appeared about 10 feet lower in my ten o'clock 20 yards away, opposite direction.
I could literally see the whites of the pilot's eyes (soul occupant).
Didn't say anything as, on the approach to land (1 hr. previously), I had been instructed to join on a left base to 29 only to see a French Air Force ND262 coming Downwind Left for the same runway , straight at me ! (No communications on the radio).
"Is the Nord 262 downwind positioning to final 11?", I asked.
"Affirmative", was the reply !
"I'll make a right turn & position number 2", I ventured. No reply.
I didn't think that separation was that Tower controller's strong point !

Station_Calling
6th Apr 2015, 21:48
And the news here is?

Because with MLG touch down very shortly afterwards would be reverser deployed, after which a go around is a no no.

You think there's no problem with a car on an active runway?

thing
6th Apr 2015, 22:45
Happened to me as I was in the flare at Kirkbride, a Landrover towing a trailer decided to dawdle across the runway about 50 metres in front of me. I could see the driver quite clearly and he didn't even look, had no idea I was there. There was one little skip of the tyres as I 'applied full power in a brisk manner'. Now on the plate it does say 'Centre of the runway is a crossing point
for occasional HGV traffic' but I still stupidly expected that maybe anyone driving across might look first. Obviously not.

onetrack
7th Apr 2015, 00:36
Ya know, this problem just wouldn't have happened, if those tight bean counters at JAL hadn't deleted the Boeing 767 horn option, just to save $85 per aircraft. :8

jolihokistix
9th Apr 2015, 03:56
Under J law it was officially classified as a 'Serious Incident', for what that is worth.

ShyTorque
9th Apr 2015, 07:19
Early 90s, I was instructing in a Bulldog, my student flying. Hazy conditions. We were waiting to depart from our RAF grass airfield. The circuit pattern was full (five aircraft) and so ATC told us to line up after the landing Chipmunk and wait. As the Chipmunk cleared the runway to the right, we were cleared to take off, which we did in short order.

As we approached flying speed, a previously unseen and unheard glider appeared directly above the cockpit and landed about fifty yards ahead of us.

I took control and quickly realised we couldn't stop and would hit it from behind if I tried. I was able to turn left and with the left wheel still on the grass, got the Bulldog's right wing over the left wingtip of the glider.

The glider pilot was taking part in a cross country competition and had run out of lift. He had a radio but didn't bother to use it and cut into a busy circuit pattern of five aircraft and landed over us, despite having a choice of four other landing strips and the full 3,000 foot width of the grass airfield to use. He could just as easily have landed alongside the duty runway.

He told ATC we were all.at fault because gliders have priority over powered aircraft.

jolihokistix
9th Apr 2015, 07:53
Lovely story Shy Torque. Many thanks.