PDA

View Full Version : WW2 AIRCREW DEPARTURES

LowNSlow
5th Apr 2015, 00:44
My Dad (Gwyn "Snowy" Jenkins) aged 95 has been diagnosed with lung cancer. I would like him to have some recognition for his service in the RAF:

1939-1940 - 151 Sqn airframe fitter, bombed out of North Weald, moved to Stapleford Tawney
1940-1941 - 51 Sqn airframe fitter, Wyton
1941 - early 1944 - airframe fitter, Prince Edward Island Canada (why would you leave!!!!)
mid 1944 - early 1945 - 158 sqn Halifax III flight engineer (36 ops, 10 ops on Friday 13th)
early 1945 - mid 1945 - 158 sqn Stirling V flight engineer UK - Karachi

mid 1945 - retirement - supporting society as a teacher.

Any advice on getting support (not financial) for funeral from RAFA etc apppreciated

Old-Duffer
5th Apr 2015, 05:37
All the usual advice really.

Approach RBL, RAFA and the museum at Elvington re a visit to Friday 13th.

RAFA or RBL can supply a flag to drape the coffin.

Is there a squadron association for 158? If so involve/advise them.

Any links with the local ATC squadron?

Do you want/does he want to donate any memorabilia to a museum or library.

Is he still 'with it' - no disrespect intended, but his awareness might make a difference as to how you handle the situation.

What have the medics said regarding timescales, palliative treatment and the progress of the illness and the likely side effects of treatment. by this, I mean he may have been diagnosed with lung cancer but the symptoms being displayed might be reasonably masked at present.

Has he got a bucket list, as this might make his life fairly fulfilling. If you can persuade him, has he recorded his experiences for posterity.

Just some thoughts.

Old Duffer

LowNSlow
12th Apr 2015, 15:42
Old Duffer,

He never had much to do with the RAFA but I will definitely approach them for a flag for the coffin.

I think Dad is one of the few remaining members of 158 sqn but I will be informing the squadron association once I've got a better idea of his life expectancy which the medics are being surprisingly reticent in quantifying. I suppose it is difficult given his age but there was a general nod of agreement when I suggested that he may see his 70th wedding anniversary in July but that he is highly unlikely to see his 95th birthday in October.

In terms of lucidity he's pretty much all there. He watches the news and comments on the events etc but can comfortably watch reruns as his short term memory span is about 3 minutes.

He's written down a lot of his experiences throughout the war so that's well covered.

Wander00
12th Apr 2015, 17:05
LNS - you will find that most funeral directors have a Union Flag. If you can get local RAFA to turn up with standards that would be great

Good Luck

W

Danny42C
12th Apr 2015, 20:55
LowNSlow,

Wish him the best of luck (I might not be far behind him), and please accept all my sympathy for you and your family in the sad time ahead.

You say: "He's written down a lot of his experiences throughout the war so that's well covered".......The "Gaining a Pilots' Brevet in WW2" Thread would welcome them with open arms.

"........And plenty of top rudder on the corners !"

Danny42C.

victor tango
14th Apr 2015, 17:23
Lownslow
Something wrong with the email address you sent me.....never mind.

Go to War Memorials Trust with info like your OP.
Based on that, they will advise you.
Let me know how you got on.

Bonkin
14th Apr 2015, 20:13
I saw your post and wanted to share these. I live not too far from the old airfield at Lisset and I think it is a fantastic memorial.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i439/Bonkin32/DSC_1476.jpg

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i439/Bonkin32/Merge.jpg