PDA

View Full Version : New car park 'tax'.

vctenderness
3rd Apr 2015, 14:20
I'm searching for car parking at Gatwick for June. I have a number of quotes but there is now a 'mandatory airport access charge' of £6 added to the cost.

Has anyone seen this before? I haven't and use the car parks regularly the last time being last month.

Who is charging this and why?

DaveReidUK
3rd Apr 2015, 14:44
AFAIK, Gatwick has had a £3 arrival and departure charge for meet-and-greet parking for the last year or so.

Or are you talking about the MSCPs adjacent to the terminals ?

DaveReidUK
6th Apr 2015, 15:59
And answer came there none ...

Groucho
6th Apr 2015, 16:43
Charges from 2013:

Forecourt
£3 per movement, i.e. £6 for a meet and greet
Multi-storey car park
£1.30 per movement (up to 10 mins)
£2.00 per movement (10 – 20 mins)
Longer than 20 minutes and regular tariff will apply

bingofuel
6th Apr 2015, 17:15
It is a strange business that deems it appropriate to charge its customers to enter and leave the business premises, or to surcharge people who use public transport to come to the business premises by way of bus and taxi levys.

I have always been surprised that these charges do not receive greater comments and discussion.

I will start, blatant rip off from airport operators who prefer to run shopping centres for a captive audience rather than promote speedy check in and access to air travel. It can be faster to drive or go by train on some routes in the UK.

vctenderness
6th Apr 2015, 17:58
Sorry for delay in replying but I am talking about off airport parking. I use several companies and they all seem to now have the £6 charge.

str12
17th Apr 2015, 14:14
The primary source of revenue for at least one London Airport, is, by a long way, car parking.

They are in fact a Car Park with a railway / airport / hotels attached to them.

Phileas Fogg
17th Apr 2015, 14:34
For LGW park up beside Salfords Rail Station and take the train in/out

vctenderness
17th Apr 2015, 15:48
What for three weeks?

Phileas Fogg
18th Apr 2015, 05:33
Or for convenience how about two one-way hire cars?

Try a hire car search engine to establish the best price ... Often cheaper than paying airport parking ... Particularly three weeks of it.

minstermineman
25th Apr 2015, 21:10
Try looking on here ...

https://www.justpark.com/ (https://www.justpark.com/http://)

I have used it several times - car is safely 'off site' and I get driven to the terminal and picked up on my return.

rethymnon
26th Apr 2015, 13:17
Try booking through AA if you are a member. I've used it for both Gatwick and Stansted and been happy with the result. They give you a range of options and it's up to you to balance price and convenience.

Do agree thouigh that this is a racket. Even dropping off a friend or family member costs unless you leave them at a remote car park to take the bus in. And if there is a queue to exit at the terminal, the cost is jaw-dropping.

Trinity 09L
26th Apr 2015, 17:23
If you ask a non London hackney carriage to collect you at Queens terminal they have to pay the car park fee of £3 on your behalf, & also remove their licensed plates to avoid capture on cctv and a further fine. Of course a "black" cab can refuse to take you any where other than London, so a sort of penalty on those that do not wish that service. :sad:

Capt Scribble
28th Apr 2015, 11:46
Parked at LGW S term long term car park in Jan 15, no extra charge shown then.