PDA

View Full Version : Retirement.....what next?

mopardave
2nd Apr 2015, 22:45
Gents, I'm curious about how people deal with the trauma/joy of retirement? How did you feel when you walked off the base for the last time? I've just retired from the emergency services with a heavy heart....I didn't hate my job......I loved it. I say this because it must surely impact on your feelings post retirement. Right now

How did you feel gents......did you do a cartwheel or did you think "oh sh*t.....what have I done?!" I feel a little numb.
MD:confused:

Lima Juliet
2nd Apr 2015, 23:55
I'm quite looking forward to it actually. I've got lots of voluntary work planned that hopefully just pays a bit of expenses (as long as I actually pay off the mortgage then I should have enough to feed, water and light the house).

As an ex fire fighter that lurks on the aviation forum, then why don't you do something like this - Airfield Volunteer Fire Service - AVFS - Event Fire Cover - fire cover for the Shuttleworth Collection, Old Warden - fire safety training - fire engines - fire appliances - First Aid - bedfordshire (http://www.avfs.org/main.htm)

Or maybe a bit of 'first responder' stuff in the local community?

Enjoy your retirement, mate! :ok:

LJ

thing
3rd Apr 2015, 00:37
FWIW I walked off the base for the last time at 39. I'm guessing that is a little younger than you are now. What is past is done, always look forward to what is to come. Don't hang on to the past because it plays no part in your future; keep the memories for sure but they play no part in the rest of your life.

I'm 59 now and although it's nice to reminisce on fora like this I wouldn't recognise the person I was when I left twenty years ago. Times change and you have to change with them, either that or hang on to the person that you no longer are and become a caricature. The past is a safe place to hide but the future requires a little more bravery.

Good luck, it's a bright world out there so grab it and make the best.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
3rd Apr 2015, 01:16
Find a way to pass all you have learned on to the next generation.

But don't force-feed them. Brevity and timing give the most impact.

Hydromet
3rd Apr 2015, 02:56
I undertook some formal training in my up-till-then hobby, a couple of years before I retired, and also gained some training qualifications. Then, on my last day at work, I was offered, out of the blue, a short-term contract for some interesting work.

The most satisfying things, for me, have been training newcomers to my profession - I was approached by a college to do one day's work a week - and working almost full time at my former hobby and becoming reasonably proficient. Mind you, I'd hate to have to rely on either for my living, but they provide reasonable pocket money.

Training young adults, I found, is great. Mostly, they are more motivated than school students, you don't have to treat them like children and they are often doing interesting things at work, which helps keep you in touch with what's happening. When you see them succeed, you can say to yourself "I helped him/her do that."

Old-Duffer
3rd Apr 2015, 05:33
Prior Preparation!

O-D

etimegev
3rd Apr 2015, 06:23
Voluntary work and then more voluntary work. Keeps your hand in and makes use of your knowledge and attributes which can be passed on to future generations.

But be warned....if you really loved your job then, for at least the next 20 years you will have dreams when you find yourself back in the job and you know in your dream that you ought not to be there!

Tiger_mate
3rd Apr 2015, 06:44
I think that post retirement peace of mind is in direct correlation with the financial aspects of your pension. If nothing else because that dictates whether you need to continue on a crusade to find work. I did 37 years and retired last November aged 55 on a PAS pension and consider myself to be a very fortunate chap. I had the opportunity to return to my old job on ADC terms and did not apply for it; mainly because I could see how 40% taxation and increases in NI contributions allied to no HTD made the prospect unviable. I don't consider myself shallow for decisions driven on finance for the alternative is to engage in the never ending list of enjoyable things in life. Quite frankly there are not enough hours in the day and I am far too busy to reminisce or read RAF News. I make an exception for a few minutes Ppruning. My mission is to reap the pension for longer than it took me to earn it!

SimonK
3rd Apr 2015, 06:50
Leaving the mob was the best {work} decision I've made....and joining it was a very close second.

Don't be scared.....there's a whole world of opportunity out there!

dctyke
3rd Apr 2015, 07:11
Retired at 55, towed out of the base and never returned. Seven years down the line without getting another job and still loving life. Big garden, two Labs, ducks, chickens and self sufficient on veg. Walks on the moors and along the coast and a wife of 40 years to love it all with. Saddens me to see how the RAF seems to get more like any other 'job' every day......... I miss the days of the 70s 80s 90s but they are long gone in every way.

Edit..... Do like the 21st of each month :-)

1.3VStall
3rd Apr 2015, 07:19
Best decision I ever made in my life was to join the RAF and the second best decision I made was to leave 28 years later. Had a great time, went to lots of interesting places and made lasting friendships. I enjoy going to various reunions every year and reliving the memories with old mates. I would do the same if I had my time over again (although I would definitely not join what's left of the RAF I remember today).

Since I left I have had a number of well-paid, enjoyable jobs and I am now comfortable fully retired and enjoying the freedom. SWMBO and I have now lived in the same village for nearly 20 years (after many years of a 2/3-year posting cycle) and we have put down roots as well as getting involved in a number of local organisations.

So, the bottom line is look back with affection on what you did and now get stuck into civilian life with relish. As long as you have good health you'll enjoy it!

radar101
3rd Apr 2015, 07:30
If you loved your job - as I did - it can be difficult. Hence you need to plan: I've resurrected an old hobby, I lead walks for the local University of the Third Age (U3A) and volunteer at a local National Trust (NT) property - not to mention long holidays all over the world!!

Last year, while checking tickets at the NT property I recognised one of my ex students - an E-3D pilot. "I bet you are missing your radar" quoth he. After 3 years retirement I could actually say "no, I rarely think about it - but I still read pprune!"

Get stuck in to things!!

thing
3rd Apr 2015, 09:12
I lead walks for the local University of the Third Age

I'll second U3A. Great organisation and people.

NutLoose
3rd Apr 2015, 09:14
Can you not take on part time work doing similar or teach part time something similar, there must be a calling out there for your skill set which will keep you in the loop sort of.

Hangarshuffle
3rd Apr 2015, 09:39
What nutloose said. At 50 you are way too young to rap in work- you'll end up haunting prune!!
You sound as though you have the skill set for training others. Second career with hours that suit you sir?

teeteringhead
3rd Apr 2015, 09:55
Find a way to pass all you have learned on to the next generation. And one of the best ways of doing that is with the Air Cadet Organisation.........:ok:
http://www.624vgs.co.uk/wpimages/wp1285e331_05_06.jpg

RHKAAF
3rd Apr 2015, 10:30
Done all the voluntary and community stuff for the last 15 years. Now it is time to emigrate. Hope to re-locate to Canada in the next 12 months.
Got to keep trying something new. I hear it is a bit chilly in Ottawa, but new place, new friends etc.
Loved the service and many happy memories of the " Old Days ":O:O:O

NutLoose
3rd Apr 2015, 10:31
Dave, I don't know what you did last, but further to my post this will show things are still available

Emergency services | RoADAR (http://www.roadar.org/drivers/emergency-services.htm)

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/Retired-Emergency-Service-Driver-Trainers-3775635.S.190996478?_mSplash=1

Google retired "whatever" jobs etc and you will be surprised at the opportunities that may be out there.

Four Types
3rd Apr 2015, 12:17
Left the RAF just under 2 years ago after almost 35 years and never looked back since. I have gone from strength to strength and am now a qualified tour guide for 3 facilities. After dinner speaking, lecturing and even on the radio! Just decide what you WANT to do and go for it, full time hobbyist! My wife now moans that I am always busy!!....even writing my life story for when the grandchildren ask me 'Wot did you do in the war Grandad?' ...110 000 words and I have just turned 42 yrs old ...you will be amazed at how much fun this is. Make the most of it as this 2 years has flown by!

Failed_Scopie
3rd Apr 2015, 12:31
The Cadet Forces are an excellent way of enthusing the next generation, not just for military service but for life; I am seriously thinking of transferring my commission to the cadets in order to do this (as a parent, I understand the value), although my preference would probably for the ATC as opposed to the ACF...

Tiger_mate
3rd Apr 2015, 12:33
Four types: you left 2 years ago after 35 years but are now 42. You joined when you were 5 years old then?

Rossian
3rd Apr 2015, 12:40
......give yourself time to think.

If I were to ask you to reply instinctively, no umming and ahhing to the question "What do you want to do more than anything else in the world, NOW" what would the answer be? You might surprise yourself!

I did ask a hard bitten Ozzie business man that question and his reply was "I want to stand on the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem" straight out, no messing. When I recovered from my surprise and asked him why, his reply was that all three of the world's monotheistic religions wanted to be there and he wanted to see if he could "feel" what it was that drew them there.

If there's a pause of a few seconds followed by a "Weeeelll...." you're not going to hear the true feeling.

BTW there's lots of other good advice above - some of which I followed.....

The Ancient Mariner

Melchett01
3rd Apr 2015, 13:50
Tiger_mate Four types: you left 2 years ago after 35 years but are now 42. You joined when you were 5 years old then?

Or might it be he has done 110,000 words and has only just reached 42 in the autobiography rather than in life? I know new recruits seem to be getting younger every year...

sharpend
3rd Apr 2015, 14:11
I left in 2003 after 39 years. I think I should have left 3 years earlier!

Actually what do pilots do when they retire? They go flying of course! I bought an ex RAF aeroplane and still fly it. Trouble is I now pay to fly, not Her Majesty, but at least I fly when I want to, not when the RAF wants me to. And I only fly when the weather is nice!

Moreover, I am now far busier than when I was in paid service. There are millions of things one can do, some have been mentioned. For myself, I write, I am active in several Clubs, I fly, I am a Justice of the Peace (quite interesting that!). No pipe & slippers for me.

In all, I don't regret leaving. I had a ball, but time to move on.

Melchett01
3rd Apr 2015, 14:33
Sharpend,

Am I correct in thinking being a JP isn't permitted whilst still serving? I know a MOD civil servant who combines the 2, and it's something I've occasionally considered doing, but thought it would have to wait until HM no longer required my services.

The Old Fat One
3rd Apr 2015, 14:43
Some good posts above...this I think is excellent.

I think that post retirement peace of mind is in direct correlation with the financial aspects of your pension. If nothing else because that dictates whether you need to continue on a crusade to find work. I did 37 years and retired last November aged 55 on a PAS pension and consider myself to be a very fortunate chap. I had the opportunity to return to my old job on ADC terms and did not apply for it; mainly because I could see how 40% taxation and increases in NI contributions allied to no HTD made the prospect unviable. I don't consider myself shallow for decisions driven on finance for the alternative is to engage in the never ending list of enjoyable things in life. Quite frankly there are not enough hours in the day and I am far too busy to reminisce or read RAF News. I make an exception for a few minutes Ppruning. My mission is to reap the pension for longer than it took me to earn it!

Having financial security in retirement is absolutely key to having a happy retirement for 99% of us. You will be amazed at how far your money goes, if your retire debtless.

At 58 I still work and I'm still adding to my families wealth (in fact I'm just kicking off my third career), but It's my choice entirely. In 2011 I spent the whole year travelling and being outdoors...it was immense!!

You can't do stuff like that if you are worried about the pennies.

Step 1 Make yourself financially secure (no debt to service).
Step 2 Spend your days doing whatever floats your boat.

Back in 2011 I met many, many people from all walks of life (and that in itself was a buzz). I was often asked "what's retirement like then?".

My answer was always the same..."you know that feeling you get at about four o'clock on a Friday afternoon - when you are retired you feel like that every moment of everyday."

langleybaston
3rd Apr 2015, 15:18
As a civilian Met Man, I found the handing in my various passes and "whatever my civvy RAF-style ID was called" was emasculating.

Interestingly [I hope] I belonged to a group of like-minded RAF and Army officers who all retired within a year or so of me. On our get-togethers, we first said that "nothing short of £100,000 cash down, plus salary, would get us back in harness for a year". Next year we said "nothing would get us back!"

Nearly 18 years away from it, pension is good, and days are full. BBQ to dust off soon.

Tigwas
3rd Apr 2015, 15:56
I understand crab@SAAvn wants to run a Fish and Chip shop - he will make a good profit as he will only need to buy the Fish!

On a serious note try being a Magistrate - its seriously good!

4mastacker
3rd Apr 2015, 17:06
I have never stepped foot on an RAF Station since I retired from the Service in 2002. For me, it was a case of the past is history, look forward to the future in civilian employment.

After I started receiving the State Pension, I joined a canal preservation group as a volunteer and last week I qualified as a 360 digger driver/operator. The group has been awarded large HLF grant to restore a flight of locks, so there is more than enough to do to keep me occupied and active for the next few years. Sitting in an armchair reflecting on days-gone-by is not an option for me.

YellaRednGrey
3rd Apr 2015, 19:21
I retired at 55 and have never looked back since the barrier came down behind me. A quote from a good friend, "The retirement clock has no hands!". A very true statement and I've also come to realise that an alarm clock is an optional accessory! You've got one life - live it!!

2Planks
3rd Apr 2015, 19:34
Have a plan (and make sure its financially viable) and look forward not back - limit the reunions etc. They are fine to meet old mates but not a reason to exist.

3 winters in the Alps now and still looking forward to next season.....

Lima Juliet
3rd Apr 2015, 20:31
I've just retired from the emergency services with a heavy heart....I didn't hate my job......I loved it.

The clue to what Morpardave did until recently is in his first post. Hence my suggestion of getting into the voluntary fire fighting scene for small airfields like Old Warden.

LJ

PS. All good advice from all so far :ok:

Janda
3rd Apr 2015, 22:26
I left the RAF just over 20 years ago. It wasn't my decision but one brought on by peace breaking out and the down sizing of a number of NATO forces. Having served for just under 24 years got a small pension and of course a gratuity. Luckily the RNZAF was looking for someone with my skills and offered me a job. Came to NZ on a 5 year contract with all expenses paid. Got a 5 year extension but decided just before my 50th birthday to pull the plug and hand back my uniform. That was 12 years ago and I have not missed being in uniform at all.

Since I left I have done quite a number of different jobs ranging from International Relations with NZ Customs to contract work with the Electoral Commission. My income is very much down on what it was when I left the RAF but what I earn with periodical work combined with my RAF pension I still maintain a good lifestyle. Of course I can only do that because all debt has been settled and I do not owe anyone a cent.

When not working I have a productive garden and chooks to look after. I also volunteer at the local museum.

Whilst I did not want to leave the RAF in 1994 it was perhaps the best thing that could have happened. It allowed me the opportunity to try a new country and experience new things. I have also missed out on what appears to have been quite a turbulent 20 years in the British Defence Forces.

gooneydog
3rd Apr 2015, 23:12
Did not fly a jet till 48 yrs. First real paying job. Forced to retire from Part 121 at 60 and went back to part 135. Then recovered my Part 121 position when the rules changed and flew up to the morning of my 65th. Went back again to Part 135 until a detached retina mandated my retirement

Moved to Vancouver Island in retirement and am loving every minute of life with no schedule

Genstabler
3rd Apr 2015, 23:20
As I approached the prospect of retirement after being a soldier for all my adult life I was full of foreboding. I left at 57 and in the event it all worked out fine.
After 34 years, provided you are free of debt, the pension is enough to live comfortably on, though without extravagance, and there is no need to commute or be shat on from above. I became involved in voluntary work with the RBL and ABF but avoided reunions while staying in contact with a few close Service friends, mostly ex aviators. I have been a community first responder, a wonderful voluntary job for an ex-service person, for the last 12 years and have now attended over 70 medical emergencies. Nowadays it is not often that I attend a patient older than I am. Though otherwise healthy I had a brief brush with cancer (please have your PSA checked regularly) but had surgery and can now pee and function fairly normally. I live in God's own country on the edge of the N York Moors with the lovely WRAF girl I married 45 years ago. I am proud of all my children, one of whom is a RAF pilot. I am very fortunate. I am very content. I am never bored.
Don't be afraid of retirement. Don't harbour regrets. Don't be rash. Don't pay higher rate tax. Live a good life.
Retirement is wonderful and as icing on the cake I get my free TV licence in a couple of years!

Surplus
3rd Apr 2015, 23:37
I retired at 55, I don't wear a watch and only set the alarm when I'm going out fishing in my boat.

I'm glad I retired when I did, I have 37 years of memories to keep me going. I don't miss the Hi-Viz vests, 'elf and safety' and 0700 FOD plod, after the sweeper has already cleaned the apron, to 'improve morale and cohesion' between the aircrew and maintainers. (To my mind, the best way to do that is put a barrel of beer on @ Friday knockoff.)

I do miss the people, the 'can do' attitude of the military, the deployments and getting attack criteria on an unsuspecting sub.

A wise man once told me that you'll know when it's time to retire, in my case, he was right.

Courtney Mil
4th Apr 2015, 08:32
I don't know how I ever found time to go to work! Left on redundancy at rather short notice, bought a house and found a part-time job with a famous University, got married, loads of diving trips. After our parents passed on we had few full-time ties to the UK so we sold up and moved to the South of France. Been here a year now and have never looked back.

There are so many options. As has been said, occasional dreams about still being in the Service, but that's more common than many realise.

If I were bored, there are a thousand things I could do. It's not hard to stay occupied. Then there's always the "Honey Do" list.

There is nothing to fear.:ok:

kintyred
4th Apr 2015, 09:43
It's really heartening, but not all surprising to hear these many stories of a happy retirement. Mine was sprung on me a few years ago but I was already beginning to think of leaving. I now know that I had a misguided sense of duty to continue until the bitter end. I can honesty say that that the last couple of years have been the best of my life.
It's truly liberating not to have the obligation of work and the initial feelings of guilt at doing precisely what I please each and every day have long since vanished. I had a fantastic 30 years in the Service but that was a different life and I have moved on. Embrace retirement as soon as you can afford it (and you'll need far less money than you think). You're only here once!!!

thing
4th Apr 2015, 10:36
Embrace retirement as soon as you can afford it (and you'll need far less money than you think).

Very true. It's already been mentioned but if you are debt free then you would be surprised at how little money you need. Money can't buy time, and time is a limited commodity for all of us. Make the most of your allotment.

MPN11
4th Apr 2015, 10:57
I actually stopped "working" in 1993, on that August day (16th?) when the redundancy letters were handed out. My COS handed me the letter with the good news that my application had been accepted, and I handed COS a leave pass which conveniently covered the remaining months until my final day in the RAF :cool:

There then followed a few months as a house husband, and facing the first big challenge in those early days - choosing what to wear every morning! It took more than a decade to feel comfortable wearing anything blue :ooh:

At the beginning of 1994, now officially a civilian, I took on as planned a part-time job as an RAF Sport Secretary and embarked on a house-hunting exercise in anticipation of my wife's redundancy (she had to wait until the 2nd Tranche, as she was far more valuable to the RAF than I had been). And then we moved out of her Quarter and into our 'retirement home'. At which point, in addition to my 2/3 week 'job', we got involved with local politics (obviously not permitted whilst serving). In between sorting out our new home, my 'job' and political activity, over the next few years my leisure contracted to a vanishing point on the horizon ... I found myself busy 6-7 days a week!! I think the same, in one way or another, tends to happen with most Service guys who retire - they end up far busier than they ever were, and the frequent comment is "How could I find time to do all this and go to work as well?"

Eventually I cried "enough" and downsized the job commitment, which gave me at least a couple of days off most weeks, and in 2000 we started going on holidays!! We had hardly ever bothered over the previous 20 years, not only because of the difficulty getting leave at the same time but also due to my 'time off for sport'!

After 11 years of seemingly non-stop activity, I 'retired' again, and we moved to Jersey ... a bit like Courtney Mil, no family ties in UK any more. Apart from about 6 weeks working for RBL during Poppy Appeal, we now avoiding falling into the voluntary trap again! Instead, we plan/do more and more holidays to make up for all those years we missed ... and that takes a lot of time to research the most economical way of doing it in comfort! Recent years/miles flown ... 2012/25,000, 2013/16,000, 2014/28,000 ... and 2015 already has 41,510 miles already flown or booked :D

Now please excuse me, I need to get back to researching a couple of warm-climate holidays for next winter :cool:

Four Types
4th Apr 2015, 11:18
For Tiger Mate....as I said, I am 110K words into the 'book' and just reached 42....13 years left to write about. As for my real age, I am as old as I feel but younger than my teeth!

Surplus
4th Apr 2015, 12:45
I know several officers who needed to have wisdom teeth inserted. Seriously though, if you've got your finances sorted and you're not going to suddenly develop a jet-setting, playboy lifestyle, then as several eminent posters have already said, you don't need a lot of money to retire. But I wouldn't have swapped my time in the forces for anything.

MPN11
4th Apr 2015, 14:26
Seriously though, if you've got your finances sorted and you're not going to suddenly develop a jet-setting, playboy lifestyle, then as several eminent posters have already said, you don't need a lot of money to retire.

And that underlined bit is the critical aspect. I am eternally grateful that I started saving early, investing wisely [most of the time] and generally planning ahead. Strangely, I was effectively forced into that as a Fg Off, paying the mortgage on my parents' retirement home whilst at the same time paying OMQ rent, supporting Wife #1 and bringing up 2 smalls. "Skint" was my middle name for years ;)

The "Earning Years" are often less than half of our time on the Planet ... make best use of them, and then the charmingly called "Later Years" can be pleasurable, instead of endless worry.

Elastoboy
4th Apr 2015, 16:07
Anyone who retires from a long career where; structure, teamwork, leadership, technical savvi and discipline are prevalent - Military / First Responders / Law Enforcement etc. they are extremely desired and sort after by industry as a whole!
These skills and abilities are ones that you cannot teach except be being immersed in them for a long time.
Seriously, if anyone with this type of background was to approach a commercial organization for "looking for something to do" they will do everything in their power to cater to your needs and desires - short weeks / type of role / offer flexibility etc.

Best of Luck - Just remember you are wanted and needed for your second career, whatever that my be!

STANDTO
4th Apr 2015, 17:39
I only served a short time in the RAF and so never found time to dislike it, nor what my career might have looked like. Last week I reached my 25 yrs point in the police. I love the job, but there is so much more I want to do. I've some outside business interests - managing a hugely talented young singer, helping with my daughters fashion business, supercars, and hopefully an airshow in 2016 or 2017. But the big one is to build a distillery - a proper one. Its a massive one, but whether I choose to go at 50 in 3 yrs time, or stick out the remaining five until my full 30 years, at least I'm enjoying everything!

There are some days though, that I do wake up and wonder what it would be like to think "Hmmm, I've nothing to do today......."

The Old Fat One
5th Apr 2015, 08:46
There are some days though, that I do wake up and wonder what it would be like to think "Hmmm, I've nothing to do today......."

If you flick through the posts above you'll find those who have "successfully" retired, never wake up thinking that.

But you sound like you have a ton to do yet...and that's just as cool. GL with it all.

Al R
5th Apr 2015, 11:20
As maxims go, "When you're about to breathe your last, will your final thought be 'Bugger, I wish I had worked harder for the boss and less time with (insert 'x' here)'" has to be up there. Financial security is vital, but try not to look at everything in terms of financial success or failure.

Retirement is like a Norway det. You leave the warmth and comfort of a sauna and throw yourself into a snowdrift - scary and invigorating (but you're only here once). I think back and never realised that my time 'in' was only a means to an end. I found it hard to see perspective, I found it hard to even find the time to consider life outside the goldfish bowl.

As you get older, you realise you make mistakes and that as the years pass, time cannot undo those. Don't make the mistake of wishing you had done something differently, something that you really wanted to and something that you could realistically have done.. but didn't have the courage to.

There are transition phases that we all experience in life, but hardly any of us recognise them until much later. We bought a sea facing bolt hole a few miles from the Gower very recently, it might not be the slowdown but it's certainly the start. Accumulating wealth is one thing, but realise that you save for a reason - know when to shift from accumulation to decumulation.

Plan!!!

BEagle
5th Apr 2015, 14:10
Question for the Old Guard. Assuming you live in the UK, what happens to your monthly RAF pension when you reach 65 and are entitled to a State Pension, bus pass etc.? Does it reduce at all?

For example, if the RAF pension is 'X' and the State Pension is 'Y', does the RAF pension reduce to 'X-Y' or do you actually receive 'X+Y' from a grateful nation? Or, at a later date, 'X+nY' if you elect to delay your state pension a while in order to receive a better one?

Banquerre-free terminology in the answer, please!

The only thing I remember from my retirement resettlement briefing was how disappointed I was with Aldershot, where it was held. I'd expected the 'Home of the British Army' to be immaculate, with manicured grass lawns, white painted kerbstones and an overall air of spit and polish about the place. With ramrod-straight Sergeant Majors reminiscent of Richard Attenborough's RSM Lauderdale from Guns of Batasi keeping unfortunate squaddies on their toes..... But it wasn't - it was a shabby, uninspiring dump. Which sadly confirmed my rather jaundiced opinion concerning the way things were heading in the UK Armed Forces.

Al R
5th Apr 2015, 14:14
x+y

Assuming there's enough money being generated to pay it of course. The g'ment cut the rate for deferring the state pension from 10.4 to 5.8% pa. Hardly worth it.

BEagle
5th Apr 2015, 14:24
Thanks, Al R!

Although according to the latest edition of Which?, 'Anyone who is eligible for the state pension before April 2016 can benefit from an attractive annual rise of 10.4% for each year they defer it'.

Whereas if you qualify after April 2016, the annual increase will fall to a less attractive 5.8%.

Hence those currently aged 64 could still benefit from the better rate if they defer before reaching 65?

Al R
5th Apr 2015, 14:35
You're absolutely right, I forgot that lead in - I thought it had already started. I think that deferring the pension at aged 65+ is probably a risk too far. The increase is minuscule whereas you can do something worthwhile with the cash for that extra year or so in the meantime. What would I consider doing?

If I didn't need it, and I'm assuming that if I'm considering deferring it, I don't, I'd consider taking it. I'd then consider chucking it into a cheap as chips personal pension (if I had relevant UK earnings to justify it), getting a minimum of 20% tax relief (up to £3600 gross for even a non UK tax payer) and (hopefully) getting some investment growth on top of that.

Then, as someone with a defined benefit pension of the size that most of us have, I'd consider the pros and cons of taking it with practically no controls (tax free cash and the balance drawn at marginal rate or kept and bequeathed if it isn't needed).

You could (conceivably - nothing guaranteed) invest in cash funds and still beat the 5.8%. If I died before aged 75 (from April 6 onwards), it would be left to my partner or the local dog's home free of tax and not lost to George Osborne. If I died after aged 75 it gets taxed. Best I spend it then!

Haraka
5th Apr 2015, 15:40
Beags,
Got there last November . They add your State Pension on to your Service Pension, then tax the combined income together, deducting the tax total in one lump each month off of your RAF Pension.

Genstabler
5th Apr 2015, 16:17
Service pension and state pension are both taxable income. Combined, with no other income, I live comfortably and don't pay higher rate tax. Bus pass is useful. Free TV licence will be nice. Unfortunately daughter is about to get married so that will make a sizeable dent in the Genstabler finances next year!

Biggus
5th Apr 2015, 16:46
Genstabler,

Check your PMs.

Genstabler
5th Apr 2015, 18:02
Biggus,
Ditto!

Tengah Type
5th Apr 2015, 22:25
Al R

Taking the OAP at 65 would have led me to pay 40% tax on it, as I was still working as an RAF (CC) Reservist and also getting a full Service Pension.

I now get 131.2% OAP at 20% tax.

I can live on that, as BBQ wine can be had for £1 a bottle down here, and also the sights on the beach can be quite attractive in the summer.

Bratman91
5th Apr 2015, 23:47
It's an old truth that very few people say on their deathbed, "I wish that I had worked for longer". Every day is a weekend for retirees.

Surplus
5th Apr 2015, 23:52
Quote:
If you flick through the posts above you'll find those who have "successfully" retired, never wake up thinking that.

There's a world of difference in waking up and thinking, 'what have I got to do today' and 'what do I want to do today'. In my opinion, that is the very essence of retirement.

Hydromet
6th Apr 2015, 02:25
So true, Surplus. I've always been an early riser, but it's so much easier when you don't have to.

Likewise with work. Now that I work full time at what used to be my hobby, I try to make sure that I can always say 'Don't want to, today', but rarely do I say it unless there's something else that I want to do.

Al R
6th Apr 2015, 07:35
Tengah,

Good on you, I hope you enjoy the wine and the sights in absolutely any order you want. There are lots of options (we forget inverse commutation too, of 05 - which can be useful if you don't need the money too much, are in poor health and have a much younger partner who would benefit from an extended income stream).

Me though, if I was a 40% payer at 65, I'd opt for "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush", take the state money as soon as possible and go for 40% tax relief. I suppose a lot would rest on my health, my view of investment growth, inflation, regulation and legislative change, my personal and financial circumstances and those of my partner. I'm glad it's worked out for you.

Not to be overlooked either, an AFPS scheme member can allocate part (max 37%?) of their pension to a dependant. In return for an immediately lower pension, a nominated dependant (younger partner etc) can receive a higher pension when they die. Nothing in life is free, the actuaries sharpen their quills and many factors determine the amount of your dependent's pension in return for that which you have given up. But it might be estate planning-wise and tax advantageous for some.

In keeping with new civvy legislation, I wonder if '15 allows you to pass that to any beneficiary though, I wonder of voxpop could help. A useful estate planning tool, especially if benefit crystalisation event guidance can work in your favour. AFPS 15 offers the chance of commuting income at state retirement age for yet another lump sum if that's preferable too.

Enough with pensions already.. it's bank holiday! Enjoy the beach Tengah, Happy Easter and Happy Pension 'Freedom' Day everyone.. ;)

Edit: The reason for announcing cutting the state pension age from next year is all too clear. Many basic rate tax payers will become higher rate tax payers when they plunder their personal pensions this year and next. Many would have liked to defer their state pension for a higher later income - and the net result would be to minimise the tax to be paid in the year when they liquidate their pension savings. But cutting the state pension deferral rate, effectively, neuters the benefit of doing so. Fiendishly clever, despicably efficient - and it highlights what pension 'freedom' really is all about. Raising money.

The Old Fat One
6th Apr 2015, 19:55
and it highlights what pension 'freedom' really is all about. Raising money.

Normally I'd be right up there with a cynical put-down to, but I'm not so sure here. Aside from a philosophical desire to give people a real choice in how they utilize their life-long savings (with emphasis on "their"), there is a massive need to reverse the colossal "zero-pension" trend in this country.

For all sorts of reasons, the overwhelming majority of young earners in today's society don't have a pension (very few of them have property either). This has simply got to be fixed, and whilst today's measures will have virtually no impact on the problem, they are a long-overdue step in the right direction.

Both pension and the property market need massive, and sustained, surgery or this country has no future.

P6 Driver
7th Apr 2015, 07:39
I'm not intending to try it out but from one news report, I gathered that should an eligible person "cash in" their pension for the maximum lump sum and subsequently blow the lot by the age of 70 (for example), they would still be able to claim a means tested benefit/pension.

It doesn't sound right, so did I get the wrong end of the stick?

Sandy Parts
7th Apr 2015, 08:13
P6Driver - I understand that is the case and indeed, given it is their lump sum/pension savings they have accrued, what they choose to do with it is up to them. They are no different than the less well prepared/fortunate who didn't have that money saved in the first place. I also understand the State Pension is not means tested (although you need to qualify by paying NI for 33 years for the full amount). The means testing comes under the Pension Credit part of the payment, designed to help those not able to survive on the State Pension they receive. Re the earlier question about service and State pension being X+Y, I think there is a bit of jiggery pokery re the SERPS element so in fact you get X+Y-Z where if you didn't have the service pension you'd get Y+Z?
My old man discovered this on his State pension age and wasn't best pleased!!

Al R
7th Apr 2015, 08:14
P6,

From last year, there was a concerted drive within g'ment to regard the basic state pension as a right and not a benefit, because it has been earned to varying degrees by people paying National Insurance Contributions. It'll be a different matter for various other means tested benefits. DWP rolled out guidance a couple of weeks ago, warning that if you blow it, don't come crying to us.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/417473/pension-flexibilities-dwp-benefits.pdf

I see that Nicola Sturgeon has been arguing again, this morning, that as life expectancy north of the border is lower, Scotland will be exempt from increases in the state pension age. Fair enough. Given that life expectancy for military retirees is generally lower too, should they also be exempt. Coming soon - a personalised retirement age, based on the results of a DNA and contingent on you wearing a gym/sports tracker..

TOFU,

Yes, to a point. Accrued money attributable to tax relief should be ring fenced. The rest, well.. why not cash some of it in if that's what you want? Given the number of silver surfers around here, I'm expecting to see lots more 3 year old Merc SLs on the roads this summer. Just as soon as the cruise has been completed of course. Notwithstanding that, it's the next scandal of course!

P6 Driver
7th Apr 2015, 08:25
Sandy Parts & Al R,

Thank you for taking the time to clarify that for me, gents.

sharpend
7th Apr 2015, 16:04
Sharpend,

Am I correct in thinking being a JP isn't permitted whilst still serving? I know a MOD civil servant who combines the 2, and it's something I've occasionally considered doing, but thought it would have to wait until HM no longer required my services.

Yes, it is permitted. I sit with a serving Colonel

mopardave
7th Apr 2015, 19:53
Gents

many thanks for your input.....you've come up with some real pearls of wisdom........and I mean some real pearls of wisdom!!! I'm only 50 so I can't imagine I'll be twiddling my thumbs for too long. I want to put something back into society if that doesn't sound cheesy......I mentored in the Fire Service (both formally and informally!) so I'd love to help those less fortunate than I am. Either that, or somehow try to get involved in aviation one way or another.......I'm not a million miles from the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington so that might be something to consider. It's only been 8 days so it sort of feels like I'm on leave, but I keep waiting for some kind of emotional melt down but I haven't had time for that yet.......I'm too busy!

Thanks again gents.

MD:ok:

SARF
7th Apr 2015, 20:02
If your near the coast the RNLI can always use ex service experience

Willard Whyte
7th Apr 2015, 22:11
Approaching 50 and enjoying my second career. Beard grown, no bull**** tolerated, (another) final salary pension, lots of holidays, freedom to retire any time from now until I'm 70, although in reality shortly after my mortgage is paid off and my sons' (10 & 7 yrs old) uni' fees are covered.

Of my 1990 - 2012 time inside on balance I enjoyed about 3/4, but I don't miss much about it any more.

kintyred
7th Apr 2015, 23:07
Mopardave,

I think you've answered your own question with the last comment of your post!
And believe me, it won't change! Enjoy your retirement!:D

O-P
8th Apr 2015, 00:18
I left after 23 years, and not a moment to soon. I enjoyed most of the time I spent in, not all of it. But, I'm glad I joined.

I left, and never looked back. If I'm honest, I don't actually enjoy flying anymore either.

The RAF (Fast Jets), is for young men and you will know when it's no-longer worth the effort. I'm having a great life on the 'outside', enjoy it!

Tengah Type
8th Apr 2015, 21:52
Al R

The money lost in defering the OAP, allowing for 40% Tax, is regained in about 7 years at 131.2% with 20% Tax. Rather than my financially incontinent ex-wife spending it, I am now halfway to getting it back, and all for me!

It depends how optimistic you are about your future. I personally hope to equal my Great Grandfather who retired from the Wiltshire Police, at 50, as an Inspector and claimed 46 years full pension.

mopardave
8th Apr 2015, 21:59
Mopardave,

I think you've answered your own question with the last comment of your post!
And believe me, it won't change! Enjoy your retirement!

LOL Kintyred............why hadn't that occurred to me?! You're absolutely right mate.......I haven't bloody stopped thanks to Mrs MD......she's a lucky girl!:ok:

Thud_and_Blunder
8th Apr 2015, 22:49
For those of us who were always paid to do their hobby, 'work' is never a burden. I've just turned 60, so sadly no more single-pilot public-transport for me - I really miss the police, air-ambo and lighthouse support stuff.

However, after a brief (2 year) interlude with my previous (excellent) employer in their training office, teaching multi-engine and IR, I have now found my way into my ideal way of life. Mon-Fri, starting at 9 and never finishing after 5 (unless massive amounts of overtime are paid), I get paid for flying modern light twin helis at <30 feet around the delightful UK countryside. Managed 4 hours 50 minutes today - no paperwork, no secondary duties - bliss!

Who needs to retire when you can have this much fun and have people throw money at you?

Thomas coupling
9th Apr 2015, 08:23
Interesting comments by some.
Mopardrive - retiring @ 50 cannot be good for anyone - mentally, that is. You are far far too young to do sweet FA @ 50. Every single person I have met who has 'tried' to retire @ 50 has found life "challenging" to say the least. Great for the first 'X' years but they all tell me that after that they are struggling to stay sharp...if that is the right description. Yes of course it's great fun doing very little daily, answering to no-one, tinkering with your hobby, charity, interests but the common thread with all of them is that they miss the daily 'challenges' that work brought, the interaction with other humans on a professional basis, the problems that needed resolving and so on. OF course there is a time to say goodbye to all that, even for filthy rich people, but 50 is ridiculous - you become a nuisance not a nicety.
Willard: With a 7 year old, you are going to be working until you are 65 then???

I guess there is no 'ideal' age to retire. Each to their own, but I would suggest that there is a 'minimum' age to retire and in this modern age of medicine and welfare - 50 is way way too young assuming you have 20+ years of healthy time ahead of you.............
As they say: "One Life - Live It"!
Thud: You seem to have struck gold. We have a roughly similar background but now I am driving a desk in aviation rather than flying one! Enjoy!

MPN11
9th Apr 2015, 09:28
As one who 'retired' at 50, I have no complaints about the last 20 years.
Busy enough, without being told what to do on a daily basis.
Sufficient intellectual stimulation to defer senility for a while.
Enough free time/cash to indulge my/our interests.

I think the biggest positive was having the freedom to choose what to do each day, juggling the mix of desires and essentials and ensuring the week's "To Do" list was completed in a timely manner ... and not having to worry too much if things slipped to right a bit. Although looking at this desk, awash with various pieces of paper and a fairly long "To Do", I may be slacking a bit - I shall have to speak to myself sternly.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th Apr 2015, 09:38
I shifted to occasional, part-time work at 45, and am completely retired at 52. I have too much to do to have time for work!

I guess the key question is, do you know what you will do with your time? If you do, you should be trying to 'retire', i.e. achieve future financial security, as fast as possible. I achieved this by building my own house, learning the skills as I went along. Personally, I knew what I would do after my working life was over when I was 18, but I guess most don't.

Tiger_mate
9th Apr 2015, 11:21
I think that one vital ingredient in the fulfilment that retirement has to offer comes long before you actually retire. I am aware of people; often high fliers in the command chain, who if you take the military away from them, nothing remains. These people will find their retirement date an impossible hurdle to navigate. Upon my own retirement, a good friend emailed me with these comments: "Welcome to the rank of all ex-officers"; and whilst those who know me well reckon that I stopped being 'military' some time ago, I have the rest of my life to juggle the many interests and hobbies that I have accumulated other the years. ..... and the comments about mental as well as physical challenges are valid. I was rubbish at languages at school, yet found over the years picking up colloquial verbal language very easy. I am now going to embark on academic Russian; for no other reason than... I can! .... and I am going to visit some of those countries that have thus far have been on a forbidden list. I have already done Cuba for example.

Genstabler
9th Apr 2015, 15:05
One important consideration for the recently retired couple is to allow each other their own space. My significant other has her own snug to which she can retire, eat chocolate and watch some of her medical programmes on TV while I watch manly adventure things downstairs.

AED24
9th Apr 2015, 17:33
Thomas coupling, you argue strongly that ‘retiring @ 50 cannot be good for anyone.’ If that is what you feel is necessary in order to achieve mental stimulation or feel some sense of purpose, then good luck Sir! I retired from the RAF two and a half years ago at age 55 and have no desire to seek paid employment. Now pursuing educational, charitable and social activities the major challenge is how to select and achieve chosen purposes whilst balancing the limited time available. Struggling to stay sharp? I don’t think so….

Sorry if this sounds a little punchy, it must be time for the medication....

MPN11
9th Apr 2015, 18:48
One important consideration for the recently retired couple is to allow each other their own space. My significant other has her own snug to which she can retire, eat chocolate and watch some of her medical programmes on TV while I watch manly adventure things downstairs.
Good call on that one! We both have our own 'work room', and batter our iDevices in isolation [occasionally posting links to each other by email ;)] ... and we sit side-by-side at the big iDevice when there are matters of joint concern, like holiday planning.

In each other's face all the time demands a very high level of compatibility!

(Incidentally, I think that may have been the first post that mentioned the OH's perspective on proceedings. ;)

Wader2
9th Apr 2015, 18:59
Keeping occupied is no problem. The problem is Mrs Wader envisages the end result but pays no attention to how the project may be achieved. Then, when work is in progress she will either change her mind or load the next job.

After building a number of decorative walls around raised flower beds came the utility room enlargement project. Before that was complete came the new garage door, a new front door, a new door in place of one of the garage doors, then lining a 'blind wall' with insulation, and presently dry walling her conservatory.

Note it is HER garden, HER utility room, HER front door, HER conservatory.

Now if you were single or newly divorced THEN you would have a problem.

For pin money I have a regular job as a Poll Clerk, steady work, once every couple of years :) and also as an exam invigilator. You would be surprised how many organisations need invigilators.

Courtney Mil
9th Apr 2015, 19:55
In response to some of the later posts.

I have a few big projects on the go - stuff I want to do. The lovely Mrs C has thousands of her own. Therefore we are never bored. Quite often, Mrs C wants stuff done on her projects right now. No problem, we'll do that stuff today. It's not a problem. Our time is our own.

kintyred
9th Apr 2015, 21:00
- retiring @ 50 cannot be good for anyone - mentally, that is. You are far far too young to do sweet FA @ 50.

Thomas Coupling! Those two statements are not linked in any way! I retired at 51 and have never felt so mentally stimulated since I was at Uni. I won't go into detail about how I spend my day but rest assured that from the moment I get up (at a time of my choosing) to moment I turn out the light my brain is active and happily engaged on a variety of tasks. I simply stopped paid employment at 51 and no longer had to deal with the brain-dead mental pygmies who seemed determined to thwart best practice in my chosen profession. Believe me, working is not the secret to mental wellbeing!!!

The Old Fat One
9th Apr 2015, 22:05
retiring @ 50 cannot be good for anyone

absolutely, totally agree...

I retired at 47 and that was way too late.

PPRuNeUser0139
9th Apr 2015, 22:14
Our time is our own.
That's it in a nutshell.. No more reports to write with the deadline looming, no more meetings in MB, no more niff naff - our time is ours to fill as we wish.
How many times have I heard a retiree say - "How on earth did I find the time to work..?" - I've said it myself.
The one thing I found difficult to calculate before we moved here was working out if we'd have enough income to live here in the way we want to live. In the end I needn't have worried.
This week saw us out on our terrace for the first time this year having an apéro in the evening sunshine.. can't put a price on that..:ok:

mopardave
9th Apr 2015, 22:19
Mopardrive - retiring @ 50 cannot be good for anyone - mentally, that is. You are far far too young to do sweet FA @ 50

hmmmmm...........I don't remember saying I was going to do "sweet FA"..........Mrs MD wouldn't let me get away with that......but thanks for the input TC.

Hydromet
10th Apr 2015, 02:44
I'd always planned to retire at 57 - it seemed like a good age, and circumstances conspired to make it very convenient. However, I looked on it as starting a new career, and found it helpful to maintain a regular routine - being in the workshop by 0830, an hour for lunch and knock off at 1700. The difference is, if something else is more attractive, I'll do it. I guess I work at enjoying my retirement.

reynoldsno1
10th Apr 2015, 04:04
I have about 18 months to go to retirement. Five years ago, I started thinking about it, but couldn't imagine what it would be like; now, I can't really wait.
I have been told that, if you are in a relationship, it will tend to become "bigger" - fortunately Mrsr1 & I are very good friends.

Tiger_mate
10th Apr 2015, 09:01
A very cheeky Mrs TM hung up a sign depicting:

Retirement
Twice as much husband
Half as much income

Which thankfully, is technically incorrect. ..... and besides which, she is at work and I am enjoying the sunshine :ok:

Oh look at the time. Tea & toast at ten! The only thing about the Army that ever impressed me.

Wander00
10th Apr 2015, 09:14
"For better, or for worse", but not necessarily for lunch every day!

P6 Driver
10th Apr 2015, 09:51
This is one of the more interesting threads I've come across on here for a while. My job ended last week due to health reasons so I find myself in a semi-retired state in my late 50's. It's so new that I can't bring myself to call my status "retired" yet.

Mrs P6 retired about five years ago so she has developed a good routine while I've been at work Mon-Fri, so now I'm developing my own, around hers so that we have our own space and don't tread on each others turf.

I've had three months off work before it ended so I've had time to think things through and mentally plan ahead. Finance is the main thing that came to mind and once I'd worked out how that would come together, the rest seems quite easy.

Watching TV and being hooked on the Jeremy Kyle Show is not an option to consider, but as an alternative, I suspect that we're about to have the tidiest garden on the planet and some of those jobs around the house that I've been putting off will finally be sorted. It just seems strange right now that I have so much time to make decisions about.

Whether I look into part-time work in the future depends on whether I get bored I suppose but for now, life seems to have a bright future for me.

BANANASBANANAS
10th Apr 2015, 10:06
I left HM Forces over 20 years ago and am now approaching the last few years of my commercial flying career.

I enjoyed my time in Auntie Betty's Flying Club immensely but am very glad I left when I did. Similarly, I have enjoyed working for 4 very different airlines around the world for the last 20+ years.

I got married quite late and my wife is not from UK so we shall be settling down on our little piece of SE Asian real estate in a few years time with nice views over the Andaman Sea and all day to do pretty much whatever we want to do - together or independently.

The point I would make is that, financially, it makes sense for me to struggle on past 60 to get a much bigger retirement pot with less time to spend it and therefore a much greater annual 'income' but our currency is not the $, it is time together. And provided we can pay our bills with a little left over each month we will be extremely happy.

I am looking at permanent retirement in a couple of years at age 55.

Mickj3
10th Apr 2015, 10:22
By accident I got sidetracked into genealogy trying to find out something for my brother. I can recommend it to anyone, its really good fun tracing your family and some of the discoveries are eye opening. Both "ancestry" and "findmypast" occasionally run free access periods which will allow you to try out the system before committing to a subscription. Guaranteed to keep you busy.

chopd95
10th Apr 2015, 11:31
Agree totally with all the positive stuff here. The great thing is that time is one's own to make the best of. Just back from a full month away in Vietnam and Oz (partner's son lives in Hunter Valley ) utterly amazing trip - couldn't have done that a while ago!

bspatz
10th Apr 2015, 11:38
I am about to retire and have made a list of jobs that I need to do, Mrs BS has also helpfully made a list for me but unfortunately there are no jobs that appear on both lists!

teeteringhead
10th Apr 2015, 11:55
"For better, or for worse", but not necessarily for lunch every day! Got that from Milady Teeters once.

We were living in a fairly spacious quarter ;) but me in a busy job so didn't get back between (early) breakfast and (late) supper. Well - not normally.

Had a couple of appointments cancelled one day, so went home to sneak into kitchen to make a sarnie. Surprised by Milady:

MT: What are you doing here?

Moi: I live here! I'm making a sarnie for lunch!

roll of drums .....

MT: I married you for better and for worse - but NOT for lunch!! :=

Danny42C
10th Apr 2015, 17:11
Tengah Type (#72),

Regarding your personal hopes to equal your Great Grandfather's 46 years' Pension: I've clocked up 43 and going strong ! (Must have had far more in pension - in cash terms - than ever I drew pay in 23 years "peace[?]time" RAF service). :ok: No increment for the 5 years in war, of course (the idea was that you were just doing your patriotic duty - doesn't count for pension).

Cheers, Danny.

PS: mopardave - we meet again ! Congratulations on starting this magnificent Thread ! D.

Pontius Navigator
10th Apr 2015, 19:13
In the not to distant past, before the Resettlement system change, Lloyds, Cox a d Kings, ran a financial seminar. It was led by a chap Alan Green something and he had plenty of pearls.

Once you had bought the missus a conservatory . . .

Did you need two cars . . . Maybe a new job came with a car

Mess bill . . .

Running a car to work . . .

Paying less tax . . .

By the time he had gone through the list it was a considerable saving and he has proven pretty accurate. Your money does go further and stretch to cruises at times to suit you.

mopardave
10th Apr 2015, 21:04
......and let's not forget, you just don't know what's around the corner! Out for a walk with the lovely Mrs MD the other night.......nothing unusual in that. I was left rocked and reeling when I bumped into someone I hadn't seen to speak to for 18 months or so. A very fit, former local business man.......possibly 60 years old, but no more than that. Within moments of striking up a conversation with him, I had the sickening realisation that all was not well. It didn't take a doctor to tell me this guy was in the early stages of Alzheimers.......subsequently confirmed to me by someone in the know.

Yup, life's a bloody lottery! One life......maybe it's time to live it!!

Sorry gents.....slight (heavy) thread drift there!
MD:ok:

Tengah Type
10th Apr 2015, 21:25
Danny42C

Congratulations on 43 yrs pension - next target has got to be 50 yrs. Then I will try to equal that. But that will still only be the same as my working time " in blue ".

Thomas coupling
10th Apr 2015, 23:22
I kept seeing occasionally, a sign in cars' rear windows stating:

ONE LIFE...LIVE IT.

Then one day, not too long ago, I saw this:

One life...live it (on the front windscreen) and on the back window:

ONE WIFE...LIVID.

To each of you practicing retirees: live long and prosper ;)

Pontius Navigator
11th Apr 2015, 10:18
But think of #2 (or more) wife, married at 54/22, she could draw the widows pension until hubby was equivalent of 125 or more.

Not sure what the latest rules on remarrying are but you 50 year old on PA are hot properties.

Tengah Type
12th Apr 2015, 00:23
PN

The plan was to die in bed with my 18 year old second wife on my 105th Birthday. I would have then had 50 years pension, and she should be good for at least another 50 yrs as well. 100 yrs pension - that will teach the b******* for not promoting me!!!!

Chances of finding an 18 year old when I am 105 on a Spec Aircrew pension??

Al R
12th Apr 2015, 06:07
There's a spring chicken/toy boy/fair use clause in '05 contributions, I'm not sure about '15 but it'll be in there too I'll be bound. If your spouse, civil partner or eligible partner is more than twelve years younger than you, their pension is reduced by 2.5% for every year over twelve years he or she is younger than you (subject to a max of 50%).

Onceapilot
12th Apr 2015, 07:18
Al R

Can you please give a little more info on this quote from you in your post #60?

"AFPS 15 offers the chance of commuting income at state retirement age for yet another lump sum if that's preferable too."

Thanks

OAP

BEagle
12th Apr 2015, 07:36

Perhaps in Atlanta, GA........:E ??

charliegolf
12th Apr 2015, 08:00

Bankok, but have a check south of the equator before you commit!

CG

Al R
12th Apr 2015, 08:22
OAP

If you leave before 60, your '15 benefit is an EDP stream, which only becomes a pension in payment at your state retirement age. At that point, you can convert up to 25% into a lump sum. It won't be much for most reading this.

If you don't serve until 60, your accrued deferred '15 benefits have already been quietly linked to the state retirement age anyway. So, preserved '15 benefits will be shifted to the right automatically if (when?!) state retirement age also shifts to the right.

Top of page 11: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/403164/20131112_FAQs_V140.pdf

Interesting(ish) for those retiring to the Channel Islands: Guernsey has recently raised its state retirement age to 70 (as well as other measures).

http://www.gov.gg/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=94029&p=0

Tengah Type
12th Apr 2015, 09:17
BEagle

Thanks for that, I nearly choked on my breakfast cereal laughing.

The 18 year old would probably be the great grand daughter.

OKOC
12th Apr 2015, 10:05
I retired (PVR'd) at 58 years old and did not a lot for 6 months. Then the boredom arrived. I decided to go back to part-time paid work:

1. As a Registration Officer Ceremonies (ROC) for local Council. This involves marrying people, Civil Ceremonies etc. £10 per hour + 45p/mile. Great job and you can work as little as you want. It is mainly weekends though. You see all walks of life and the need for attention to detail and time awareness (just like RAF), as you may be doing 3 weddings 2 hours apart.

2. Seasonal but again great fun--invigilating exams at a local Independent school £10 again. Keeps you young and in touch with young adults-even though they see me as a fossil!

3. Playing on the AIM -- but beware it is Cowboy Country--do your own research and don't gamble the farm!

Good Luck all-just a few ideas of what I do--hope it helps someone.

PM if you need more info.

Pontius Navigator
12th Apr 2015, 17:46
Tengah, don't you have to be wed to your bimbo before you retire? Maybe find a 12 year old in some sand pit. She would be every so grateful though you might have to abstain for the first 4 years :}

mopardave
12th Apr 2015, 20:46
Maybe find a 12 year old in some sand pit. She would be every so grateful though you might have to abstain for the first 4 years

PN.....I would have spat my tea out had I not already done so thanks to cg:

Bankok, but have a check south of the equator before you commit!

I suspect we're speaking from experience here gents? Cheeky......very cheeky!!! ;)

MD

Willard Whyte
12th Apr 2015, 21:54
Maybe find a 12 year old in some sand pit. She would be every so grateful though you might have to abstain for the first 4 year

Sand pit prophet seemed to think 9 years of age was an acceptable lower limit.

O-P
13th Apr 2015, 01:17
I left the RAF aged 41, worked on my own projects 'till 45. Quit the rat-race and retired.

My wife still works, her choice. I never wish to work for anyone else again...I was forced to work with enough.....we'll leave that though.

I'm more than happy looking after our little girl (My wife is only 7 years younger than me, and is not from SE Asia), and restoring my collection of classic cars. I have a 64 Mustang and a 67 E-Type on the lifts at the moment. When they are finished (about 10 weeks) they'll join the other 12 in the barn. I don't sell them.

MPN11
13th Apr 2015, 08:50
Interesting(ish) for those retiring to the Channel Islands: Guernsey has recently raised its state retirement age to 70 (as well as other measures).

http://www.gov.gg/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=94029&p=0

In that context, Guernsey now has a shrinking population [due largely to emigration] which makes it even harder to fund the burden of the aged.

Tengah Type
14th Apr 2015, 06:47
CG #108

From visual demonstrations, in the old Bugis Street and in Patpong, the result of the full mod looks pretty convincing. However I do not have any "Hands On" experience to confirm.

PN #112

A couple of years ago my divorce lawyer informed me that the law had changed, and my ex had to be given 50% of my Occupational Pension, and that if she remarried the new husband was entitled to 50% of that!! So, I guess the same applies to me.

"12 year old from the sand pit" sounds a bit too close to Gary Glitter territory to me.