PDA

View Full Version : Medicals

BigEndBob
2nd Apr 2015, 21:35
In view of recent events, could there be less AME's available to do medicals if they have to take on more responsibility for signing off potentially unstable pilots, seeing as EASA seems to removing the CAA input.

Would it not be a good idea for the medical to be done by the AME but also backed up by a section of the medical form that has to be signed by the Pilots' GP to say that the tick box section has been truthfully filled in.

It has always seemed strange to rely on the honesty of a pilot to answer truthfully, knowing he could be ending his career.

Or are there higher forces at work to pass certain pilots.

Whopity
3rd Apr 2015, 07:53
Over the years, I have seen my AME since about 1974; I have no idea who my GP is and I am sure he has no idea who I am. I'd rather keep it that way!

condor17
4th Apr 2015, 08:19
Whopity , that used to be the case ..... but now AMEs seem to be retiring quicker than I can find them . And GPs are now looking younger ...

rgds condor

P.S. Just found out prescriptions have been free for a couple of years !

Whopity
4th Apr 2015, 17:36
And GPs are now looking younger ...As I have never seen mine, I wouldn't know!

BigEndBob
8th Apr 2015, 20:03
With more responsibility being pushed in AME's direction, how many will give up.
Imagine a situation where AME's have to insure themselves against passing someone off that might have a funny turn and it comes back on the AME.
Seen a suggestion that medical costs could increase to pay for insurance so that AME's cover themselves.
Won't AME start demanding access to a persons medical records?
What if government start selling to appropriate bodies has as been recently put forward.