PDA

View Full Version : Glenforsa Airfield

The Original GF
2nd Apr 2015, 15:57
As from 13:30 today Glenforsa Airfield Mull is now operated by The Glenforsa Hotel.
www.glenforsaairfield.com (http://www.glenforsaairfield.com)

OGF

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Apr 2015, 16:12
Hip hip hurray !

I shall have to find an excuse to visit again soon.

G

Johnm
2nd Apr 2015, 16:41
That's very good news for a long list of reasons!

SFCC
2nd Apr 2015, 19:49
Thank Christ for that.
Common sense will now prevail.

Congrats Brendan, Alison and Stella

Sir George Cayley
2nd Apr 2015, 21:38
Just occasionally good things happen to good people. This is one of those moments :ok:

SGC

maxred
2nd Apr 2015, 22:11
Nice one Brendan....

India Four Two
2nd Apr 2015, 22:45
I've never been to Glenforsa and I probably never will, but I am absolutely delighted to hear of this development. I've followed the Oban and Glenforsa sagas with interest and a sense of foreboding.

Can someone explain how things were turned around at Glenforsa and how common sense prevailed?

Sleeve Wing
2nd Apr 2015, 23:03
Brilliant news. Just sickening listening to all the previous infantile bickering.

Good luck with it, Brendan and Alison.

I'll have to pay a return visit now.

:)

flybymike
2nd Apr 2015, 23:27
It's not clear from the website page whether PPR is still to be obtained via Oban?

thing
3rd Apr 2015, 00:54
Congrats Brendan, Alison and Stella

They got lager there now?

piperboy84
3rd Apr 2015, 02:40
Oh goody gum drops. The Maule back into Glenforsa for a cracking lunch and a lie down on the grass after to take in the breathtaking beauty of god's own country. Ye cannae beat it.

The Original GF
3rd Apr 2015, 06:54
Please PPR the hotel 01680 300 377 or [email protected]
More details at Isle of Mull_ Glenforsa Hotel (http://www.glenforsa.com)

OGF

gasax
3rd Apr 2015, 07:09
Perhaps there is a God!

Excellent news and a victory for common sense in the land of the loonies.

xrayalpha
3rd Apr 2015, 07:54
Welcome to the mad world of airfield ops!

maxred
3rd Apr 2015, 08:16
I take it you get to keep DH under TUPE:uhoh:

Rod1
3rd Apr 2015, 08:31
Brilliant news.

Rod1

Cusco
3rd Apr 2015, 09:35
I really have no excuse to put off visiting any longer. ;)

Good news OGF and team.

cusco

uniandpilot
3rd Apr 2015, 11:45
A bit off topic, but how hard is it for a person in the UK to open a private airfield like the one in the link

misterling
3rd Apr 2015, 13:29
Best news I have heard for ages.

maxred
3rd Apr 2015, 18:08
A bit off topic, but how hard is it for a person in the UK to open a private airfield like the one in the link

Very....It should be relatively simple, but.....

NIMBYS, planning in local council, 28 day rule ( not sure if this is still in force mind you), access, when you go try and get an appropriate piece of land, well lots of natural restrictions arrive out of no where. Drainage, trees, wind turbines, a willing farmer, who will make more out of a wind turbine installation:ugh:

the list goes on, but, there are small jewels who have broken through, and if sought out, are superb to fly into. I have been looking for a long time for a suitable venue, and nothing has ever come up. That made any financial sense:confused:

The Original GF
5th Apr 2015, 14:56
First of all, thank you everybody for your good wishes. Any interest in a bush flying course at Glenforsa in June?
Bush Air Information
Legendary South African Bush Pilot CC Pocock will be conducting Advanced Bush & Mountain Pilot Proficiency Courses for those who are interested.
This is an advanced flying course with emphasis on bush and mountain flying techniques and procedures.
Guaranteed to make any pilot much SAFER, more PROFICIENT & SKILLED! Reducing the accident risk, particularly short field, low level and mountain flying accidents.
All Advanced Flying Courses are conducted by Bush Air owner "CC" Milne Pocock. CC is a highly experienced and professional bush, stunt & test pilot with thousands of hours of bush and mountain flying and "off airport" operations. He is one of the most experienced bush pilots in the world and Southern Africa's most knowledgeable and experienced bush & mountain flying instructor. He has trained hundreds of pilots from 40 hours to over 10,000 hours, PPL to ATPL, civilian and military. Courses are available in South Africa, USA and various other countries throughout the year.
The main objective of this course is to greatly improve overall pilot proficiency, safety, confidence and skill and reducing aircraft accidents, particularly short field, low level and mountain flying accidents.
From the start, emphasis is placed on correcting common pilot weaknesses such as bad takeoff, approach and landing techniques. You will discover areas within the airplane's performance envelope you never thought possible through a proper intensive familiarization and test flight. Learn how to consistently "grease" all landings and how to obtain maximum performance from your aircraft.
All pilots, PPL to ATPL & instructors can benefit from attending this course. You can attend the course with virtually any type of aircraft, from microlight to multi-engine turbine. If you own your own aircraft, it is recommended that you attend the course with it as you want to become proficient with the aircraft you most frequently fly. Pilots and owners of high performance aircraft and in particular high performance tail draggers can greatly benefit from this course.
Even if you never intend to fly in the remote bush or mountains, the techniques and procedures you will learn during this course is guaranteed to make you a much more proficient, confident, safer and skilled pilot in general every day flying.
The course is held over three full days and includes 5-6 hours of flying. This is more than sufficient time for you to successfully and safely learn all the basic techniques and procedures to improve your flying ability. Over 450 pilots have already successfully completed the course.
OGF

carltonm
10th Apr 2015, 10:23
Flew into Glenforsa yesterday. Weather was fantastic and the airfield is in very good condition.
Very friendly welcome and great food, support your local airfield.
Wish Brendan all success.

India Four Two
10th Apr 2015, 23:42
I am amused to see that the Council website doesn't mention the change in status of Glenforsa ;)

Note: Only Argyll and Bute Council Staff can authorise use of the Aerodrome. Aircraft are to remain within the runway confines when taxing to/from the parking area

Air Travel and Plane Timetables | Argyll and Bute Council (http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/air-travel-and-plane-timetables)

The Original GF
13th Apr 2015, 15:30
"I am amused to see that the Council website doesn't mention the change in status of Glenforsa"

Now fixed.

OGF

Russell Gulch
13th Apr 2015, 21:33
Do get on it Brendan ;):

"Glenforsa Airfield is operated by The Glenforsa Hotel Mull Aircraft."

Which aircraft is that then...a modified Mew Gull (sp)? :cool:

The Original GF
19th Apr 2015, 08:11
"Get on it Brendan"

Runway Mown Check
Signage Replaced Check
Fencing Renewed. Check
20+ A/C Checked In. Check
Council Typos checked. Er no.

OGF

Russell Gulch
19th Apr 2015, 21:24
Good on yer, and best wishes!:ok:

C172Navigator
23rd Apr 2015, 14:02
Flew in for dinner last night. Airfield looking great. Landing fee only £10 and that allows you to come and go all day. Good food too! ;)