PDA

View Full Version : So, how well are we doing?

Adrift
2nd Apr 2015, 13:50
Cathay Pacific 2014 profit: remaining slightly ahead. Seismic change needed but seemingly unlikely | CAPA - Centre for Aviation (http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/cathay-pacific-2014-profit-remaining-slightly-ahead-seismic-change-needed-but-seemingly-unlikely-214703)

CCA
3rd Apr 2015, 02:57
Looks like the chickens will finally come home to roost, CX has always had the advantage of the prime location in Asia and possibly the world requiring no particular skill to make tremendous amounts of money, and now as competition grows and Hong Kong begins to lose it's hub status being bypassed direct to China with the point to point model, it now finds itself having to actually work for once, but the only thing they know how to do is cut costs, they've never invested in a future that was inevitable because that's too long a game plan requiring long term employee investment.
I mean look at all this new rubbish with our lean ethos touch points, selling our own airline to our employees small minded rubbish that will get CX nowhere by trying to invest in the future without spending money.

Just paint the planes with big huge billboard style writing ffs simple big and bold advertising that gets the airline visible like Emirates and most other airlines trying to expand in foreign lands, EK has had to invest in a bloody desert to ensure its future, they know they had to make their own foot hold early before it was too late.

I fear CX had missed the boat things will get leaner and leaner until Hong Kong is no longer the hub it could have been look at the slow uptake of the 3rd runway, China absorbs the mantle and with it goes CX to be bought by Air China I guess.

Yonosoy Marinero
3rd Apr 2015, 06:09
I particularly like the table:

Turnover (from 2013 to 2014) +5.5%
Profit margin +0.4%

And then:

Profit to shareholders and earning per share: +20%
Dividend per share: +63%

Should I add:
Employee profit share: +0%

At this rate, shouldn't the shareholders be flying the damn planes?

Arfur Dent
3rd Apr 2015, 06:11
If you have a highly paid Department that researches and specifies exactly how much fuel to 'hedge' in a year and they come up with a $117 MILLION US DOLLAR loss, you'd think the CEO would be a bit offside. Not a bit of it. 'Hedging stabilises the operational costs so we know what we're dealing with.' Really?? The Chinese don't hedge for some reason and are taking full advantage of fuel costing something like half of what CX geniuses have paid/are paying. The Chinese are pretty good businessmen but not as clever as our lot who would lose face if they stopped hedging in this unpredictable world. So we continue gambling with Company money in order to have some idea of what our fuel costs will be.
There must be a loss figure directly attributable to hedging that indicates "STOP HEDGING" at least until the market settles down.