PDA

View Full Version : EK Staff Survey email...

170to5
1st Apr 2015, 11:39
Wow...I have to say, I didn't think we'd get anything like that!

Now I will make myself absolutely clear, I'm pretty dubious about there being any real improvements (maybe a few new SVP positions to manage the managers'manager better) but at least it wasn't another SOP change!

Kapitanleutnant
1st Apr 2015, 11:54
I hope everyone notices this sentence: "And more importantly, we have to invest in you".

Translated: "Even though you should get 16 weeks bonus, we will only give 4 weeks as we will be investing in you by investing more money into the company's growth".

Just sayin'…

Kap

CaptainChipotle
1st Apr 2015, 13:22
It's all words. I only believe in actions.

Show me enough days off to recover from my flights to enjoy my life
Show me 75-80hrs/month threshold
Show me flexibility within the rostering system with less constraints
Show me ALL of my leave
Show me appropriate costs of living salary increases not in the realm of .5%
Show me the appropriate level of profit share when we post record profits

AND I'll show you a place I'm excited to show up to work.

I know the list is exhaustive, and I'm dreaming... You don't have to tell me.

Schnowzer
1st Apr 2015, 13:22
Wouldn't it be nice for them just to publish the survey questions and the results distribution?

CAT3A
1st Apr 2015, 13:29
I thought they will share the results of the survey with us.
Probably too embarrassing !!M

ChillinInTheDesert
1st Apr 2015, 13:56
Don't have access to my email, what have they announced?

sluggums
1st Apr 2015, 14:36
Nothing, just the same spin and BS...

clear to land
1st Apr 2015, 15:27
Well as he has supplied his email address, maybe rational, non-emotive well constructed emails saying what we say to each other but sent to him will add fuel to the fire. Remember that it all comes down to the bottom line to the Company. Most of the changes we want would be 'cost neutral' to them but their profits will actually go up with an engaged workforce. If they get this from enough sources maybe they will actually think it's their idea-and we may get change? Nothing ventured nothing gained??

glofish
1st Apr 2015, 15:37
Dear EK Spin Doctor

Can't you see that you just made matters worse?

These things do take time – so your patience is appreciated. To sustain our growth and increase our fan base, we have to invest in more aircraft, routes, technology, and facilities. And more importantly, we have to invest in you.

The situation is 'time critical', if by any chance you would know what this our daily business means, and you have not much time left.
Our patience is futile, it's your reaction time that matters.

You can invest as much as you want, we don't need investment, we need divestment of unsustainable workload and less of your hollow written cr@p.
We need better working conditions, less fatigue and a better managerial environment.

So better invest in yourself, in your people skills, not only in your bonus.
And please divest two or three of the main management culprits, they are well known and believe us, it would give the company the dearly needed instant boost! Just as an adequate bonus and raise.

Your silence was not nice, but i preferred it over that toxic letter.

TangoUniform
1st Apr 2015, 16:36
The letter, to me, basically said they would be working within HR to make life better. Great, how does HR affect our working conditions on a daily/monthly/yearly basis? HR seems to have zero control over those that make decisions on our behalf. You think HR will be able to control an EVP? They think that making a few changes within HR will make everyone happy and sing kumbaya. How about making some major changes within Operations, both within Flight and Service Delivery. Never happen. I will predict that ZERO changes within our group will take place.

flaphandlemover
1st Apr 2015, 18:44
come on guys....

as you can see it took EK 4 month (or was it more) to phrase the disastrous results into a bloomy not so bad answer.

What a crab again....

In the fleet wash up we are being lied at by deputy muppets that have no answer to questions and telling us

" do you really think anyone brings your complain up to the higher management? "

Why even bother to go to the wash up....

Nothing in the survey, they wouldn't know of....

easy fixes.... ohh sorry too late... we lost already over 300 Pilots... we can't even bring the hours down... as we don't have enough pilots...

EK has lost it and we are going down.... (not yet in flames) but they are working on it..

Emma Royds
1st Apr 2015, 18:53
That email would make any political PR spin doctor proud.

It had very little substance and it's no different to a political party in crisis with their PR department issuing a press statement to buy them more time. The results were an embarrassment to the company, which is why we will never know the actual results, as they promised. That is even more reason why such an email is not acceptable and especially so when it has taken them months to respond.

As the old adage goes - 'actions speak louder than words'.

SOPS
1st Apr 2015, 23:24
'Increase our fan base'......?!?.....I assume they realise they are an airline, not a rock band.

fatbus
2nd Apr 2015, 02:19
300 pilots gone ? Since what date?

flaphandlemover
2nd Apr 2015, 03:58
The 300 pilot nr comes from the HR lady, that has recently resigned...
She finally answers questions correctly and she said attrition rate is 9-10%....

Don't shoot the messanger, but the 300 pilot nr was
counted from beginning of the year.

After the profit share anouncement we will loose a whole lot more.....

And FA's are leaving like never before.

But EK is working actively on improvements..
Hang in there....

Things are getting better...
100 hours and min days off with a max of 3 days in a row. Dh to duty and bunktime not counted for...
:ugh::ugh::ugh:

170to5
2nd Apr 2015, 06:45
flap

was this HR lady sat in front of you telling you this, or is it from third hand accounts based on what this HR lady's husband was telling his mate, who works for the contractor whose workers were talking to her while they repaint her office?

I believe the numbers but I can't believe that someone from HR sat in front of people and told them!

jidder
2nd Apr 2015, 07:26
:mad:

More BS in the latest email from " The Lazy Pilot Hater "

How many times have these guys lied ? Overtime threshold, leave, housing and roster:ugh: Have they no shame, especially in such a culture of loosing face?

It's been said before and it still stands.... Actions speak louder than words!

Without integrity they are nothing.

J:E

170to5
2nd Apr 2015, 07:28
Ah, there we go...number two in this limited edition series of emails, this time from our own XSCASO (Executive Supreme Commander - Air and Space Ops)...

Who'll start us for ten?!

Any word on the disciplinary measure to be meted out for suggesting improvements?

jidder
2nd Apr 2015, 07:41
Maximum flying hours .....
Restricted leave..............
Removed from roster bid.
Office meeting on day off.
No profit share...............
No self cert on sickness...

opps, what did we do wrong? :=

J :E

alwayzinit
2nd Apr 2015, 08:18
This, IMHO, is a direct result of the Survey debrief that the 9th floor received after the results came in.
Step 1, to show what an enlightened management team you are you must engage with your work force.
Step 2, ask for feed back.
Step 3, analyze any feed back objectively and act accordingly.

Sadly, steps 1-3 require the ability to accept that a) there is a problem and b) beating those still here will only make the situation worse.

I believe that if there is not a completely off the scale re-alignment of T+Cs
crewing the schedule will be the least of the problems that will land on AAR's desk.

fatbus
2nd Apr 2015, 11:17
EK will never fail! The titanic will never sink!

ekwhistleblower
2nd Apr 2015, 11:44
When it is perceived, rightly or wrongly, there is a fear culture within an airline cultivated by those at the top, who is going to provide honest feedback? The Employee Survey clearly provided a few surprising answers so a few were fired from HR and now the top of the company says it wants to listen. I remember well the last time the top of the company engaged directly with the work force, it was not pretty.

The only way they will get realistic feedback is by creating an anonymous reporting structure but to do so would lose control of the answer. I know we have been recruiting because I see the newbies around EGHQ but for some reason the seniority list is not expanding at the same rate. This will continue until there are no penalties for providing the answer the top does not want to hear.

My feedback would be simple. All the employees want is to be trusted to do their jobs without unnecessary interference from those above. Butt out and let your experts do their jobs both on the aircraft and in the offices. Realise that petty rules instigated on the whim of an individual, to the detriment of the work force as a whole, are an abuse of power.

Great leaders wear their power lighty and trust those they have employed to do their jobs to the best of their ability. They have a multiplier effect and move an entire organisation forward with great strides. Petty dictators sap the energy from their employees and are detrimental to the organisation's goals. If you are in a position of power and see your influence ebbing away, along with the work force, you must decide which type of leadership role you have assumed and change if it is not working.

Asking for feedback has to be a positive step forward but please give us a confidential feedback system with the contributors protected from retribution rather than a portal link directly from our company profile. Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you! I for one would be happy to provide constructive feedback given the chance.

MrMachfivepointfive
2nd Apr 2015, 12:23
Blowie... Truer words have rarely been posted in this forum. I am tempted to cut and paste into AAR's feedback form or into a mail to the new - and very silent - ex- Paypal SVP-HR.

thefoxandfirkin
2nd Apr 2015, 12:48
The communication was sent out on 1st April. Now what does that tell you... :}

nolimitholdem
2nd Apr 2015, 12:54
EK will never fail! The titanic will never sink!

I do recognize the sarcasm, just wanted to underscore it by reminding that all empires crumble and fail eventually. And the collapses tend be sudden, unexpected, and spectacular.

I have no doubt that EK is about to announce some crazy massive profit for the financial year. And somehow that just brings to mind the completely out-of-touch emperors of Rome boasting about the eternality of the Empire, while the hordes are right at the gates.

WAKE UP in the bouncy castle! Stop sniffing the sweet scent of each other's own BS and realize that the company is far more vulnerable than it appears. It's already incredible how quickly things have declined in a short period of time.

SOPS
2nd Apr 2015, 13:35
IMHO the problem is they thought they were being very clever, stretching the elastic band further and further. 92 hours a month, unavailable leave, no credit for the leave you could get, no credit for ground duties, constant fear culture and confetti like warning letters, a warped sickness policy....I could go on ....however I think they have stretched the elastic to the point it will no longer spring back, and now things are critical.

Nikita81
2nd Apr 2015, 16:55
just wanted to underscore it by reminding that all empires crumble and fail eventually. And the collapses tend be sudden, unexpected, and spectacular.

...And somehow that just brings to mind the completely out-of-touch emperors of Rome boasting about the eternality of the Empire, while the hordes are right at the gates.

I told them this, almost word by word, in their faces. I wrote it in my warning appeal letter. Anoma Manuel (DVP Outstations) has it, you can ask her. :}

Nikita81
2nd Apr 2015, 22:14
A little contribution to this topic.

I have decided to stop writing the blog, but it's like they love me so much they can't live without me, so they fired a very close friend of mine for writing a comment on my blog post on Facebook just to draw my attention again.

So, here it is.

https://donotflyemirates.wordpress.com/2015/04/02/survey-on-emirates-employees-satisfaction-results/

puff m'call
3rd Apr 2015, 12:49
Just stop going to the wash up, I have.
Just leave before it starts, I can't listen to the lies either, so just leave.
They might get the message then!!!

sluggums
3rd Apr 2015, 13:37
That's exactly what I've been doing for the last 4 years...

Am NOT Sure
3rd Apr 2015, 20:35
Amen to that LR 3

Mrs Mangels
3rd Apr 2015, 23:31
I'm sorry, all I heard was blah blah blah, bull**** bull**** bull****, blah blah, HR is listening, blah blah, we value you :yuk: blah blah, crap on, crap on, yeah, whatever. Thats about when I stopped reading and hit delete.
Don't forget, we are less than 10% of the workforce, 5% if you extend the arms. 13000 responses, thats 130, (according to them) at best, pilots griping. 130 out of 3700, hey, they must be happy as Larry!!!!!!
It's a numbers game, and we are a minority. Unfortunately, don't wish for much.
Throw the masses a few dirhams in the atrium, and they'll think its Christmas come early.
Got the t-shirt.
:ugh:

alwayzinit
4th Apr 2015, 08:44
Mrs M, your analysis of the percentages is spot on and IMHO that is how the 9th floor ostriches will read it.

Sadly for them though the whole idea of an Airline is to fly, something that is not easy to achieve without those to perform that task.

Without the "Lazy Pilots" all you have is another desert with aircraft parked on it.

Interesting times ahead............................

SOPS
4th Apr 2015, 09:34
It's a pity more people did not fill in the survey, but once again, 'the rule by fear factor' took over. I had more than one person admit to me they did not fill in the survey because the reared the repercussions.

CamelRustler
4th Apr 2015, 10:00
I think you meant to say feared. But the other word works too.

SOPS
4th Apr 2015, 10:21
Yes, I meant feared.:ok:

harry the cod
4th Apr 2015, 10:45
14000 had the balls to do so. I guess the same group of doom mongers will avoid the offer from EVP to contact him too?

Now is as good a chance as any to write in. Use it or lose it ladies and gents. You can write on here all you like, it will achieve little. Or, you can do something constructive and likely to directly effect your quality of life by writing in to those that may change something. They know we're a demotivated workforce and they are short of front line staff, pilots, engineers and cabin crew. If you don't voice it now, don't come complaining on here next year when all the dust has settled.

This is as good a chance as we're going to get in this Company. Believe me!

Harry

CAYNINE
4th Apr 2015, 11:59
I think that's the point though Harry, the dust will settle and nothing will change....

glofish
4th Apr 2015, 12:26
harry

It's the pigeons on the town square syndrome:

Something has to be done and someone claps their hands. The pigeons all fly up, circle and then land again in a different spot. Nothing has changed but their position. The only inconvenience is that by flying up every one dropped a cr@p and spoilt the town square even more.

They promise a "workshop" and want to implement what we might contribute to their mail-link. That's the clapping to make the managers fly up and cr@p.
They then ask for time. That's the circling.
Then they promise to implement some changes to improve the situation. That's the landing in a different spot by the same managers who will act exactly the same as before.
The only difference is that they now feel entitled to, because there was a "workshop".

They know exactly what they ought to do. The "workshop" being a loud and clear signal that nothing will be done or changed. They will try to sit it out and hope for some crisis somewhere in this sad world to be able to pick up the pieces of shattered careers, dreams and a lot of sitting on huge debts.
The only difference is that the moment where they themselves might live through a bitter crisis is coming closer and closer.

In the meantime they will continue to tell the nude emperor that he wears a beautiful suit.

(addendum: what really would have to be done is a FIRST STEP by EK, without asking or any kind of workshi....op. It needs a sign of bona fide, something we all really miss and what they know.
How about a "cost neutral" measure by taking away the useless 'not more than 5 days/7days off rule for planning and swapping, even with keeping the total flight hours. As we can't get all our leave, some none at all for more than 11 months, this might mitigate some family problems. That IS COST NEUTRAL and at least myself would take this as a tiny little white hankey in the developing war with the company. - - - I know, won't happen, someone would lose his ugly face .... At least it's a suggestion, isn't it?)

SOPS
4th Apr 2015, 12:47
And at the risk of more people telling me to go away, sitting on the beach, with the dogs is a nice place to watch how all this will unfold.

harry the cod
4th Apr 2015, 19:14
SOPS

Funnily, I too was on the beach today, sans dogs. I guess the big difference is that you will not be getting up to report 23 minutes before the official report time tomorrow. Or, 11 hours later, spend 48 minutes pointing out Fujairah to our 'fans' for the fifth time as they miss their connections. Nor will you be doing your recurrent sim next month without credit for the 3 days, no doubt conveniently rostered in another month exceeding 92 hours with several departures around 2am.

It's little wonder you left. But I am surprised how attached you still are to these discussions.

Harry

Nikita81
4th Apr 2015, 20:27
But I am surprised how attached you still are to these discussions.

People have memory and it sometimes hunts them. They also get attached to things. They also have emotions. This is why you can't treat them like garbage and brutally abuse them and get rid of them without consequences. Everyone knows that, except...

glofish
5th Apr 2015, 14:14
In view of surveys and moods, today's publications are almost a real time satyre:

First there comes the offer to apply for the position of ADCP Boeing and right after the mail offering free health checks ....

Says it all for anyone applying at the moment. ;)

SOPS
5th Apr 2015, 14:33
How many CP, DCP, ACDP do you need?

Wizofoz
5th Apr 2015, 14:40
First there comes the offer to apply for the position of ADCP Boeing

Have another read of that one- you'll notice they weren't offering the position to YOU (or me)- wrong passport.......

lospilotos
8th Apr 2015, 10:02
In The Unmentionable/Nicole Kidman vs. some women's lib organisation debacle, The Unmentionable is quoted saying:

"The airline said that in a recent independent employee opinion survey, 93 percent said they are proud to work at [airline removed] and the overall employee engagement score of 76 percent was 18 percent better than that of the global average."

So, letīs see the numbers for EK...

knifedge
15th Apr 2015, 08:21
As said before,

Show me enough days off to recover from my flights to enjoy my life with the family.
Show me 75-80hrs/month threshold, so We get back what it's been taken away.
Show me flexibility within the rostering system with less constraints, at zero cost.
Show me ALL of my leave as We have been told when We joined.
Show me appropriate costs of living salary increases.
Show me the appropriate level of profit share when we post record profits.
Show me adequate accommodation policies.

AND I'll show you a place I'm excited to show up to work; This would make it attractive again as it was 10 years ago...

All We need is the life back to keep our families happy to live in Dubai, and keep ourselves motivated to work here and recommend friends to join us. The best recruiting tool could be your own people...