PDA

View Full Version : Do you know what it is yet

dragartist
31st Mar 2015, 20:14
A while back there was a thread similar. Can't find it. Please suggest a merge.
Took this photo today. I found it interesting anyway. No clues yet. Oh it is Mil A/C related and in the UK
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w35/dragartist1/IMG_0370%20resize%20crop_zps9zxsbnpu.jpg

Drag

ShyTorque
31st Mar 2015, 20:22
It's a "polyvalent" particle separator, as fitted to protect the intakes of turbine engines. Often fitted to helicopters, the Puma being the first UK military recipient, in the late 1970s.

John Eacott
31st Mar 2015, 20:25
Centrisep particle separator.

Sand filter, particle separator, internal design of each tube swirls the incoming air and centrifugal force throws impurities out of the airflow that goes on through to the compressor of the turbine.

CoffmanStarter
31st Mar 2015, 20:29
Heat Exchanger Inlet Panel ?

dragartist
31st Mar 2015, 20:32
Almost but not quite, certainly swirly thingys but not propulsion.

I remember the Puma sand filters but not the plastic moulded inserts.

John Eacott
31st Mar 2015, 20:46
Almost but not quite, certainly swirly thingys but not propulsion.

I remember the Puma sand filters but not the plastic moulded inserts.

Maybe you didn't read the earlier replies? Here's a couple of photos to explain how the particle separator works:

http://atomictoasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Donaldson-Strata-Tube.jpg

dragartist
31st Mar 2015, 20:55
OK John, They appear to be particle separators to prevent the ingress of sand /dust. (the stuff my boy was covered in when he returned from Bastion)I could not work out where the dust goes. I just did not expect to see this type of device in this application. I could not see what was on the other side of the panel. perhaps there was some type of collection chamber.

It was meant to be a bit of fun.

Anyone know the aircraft type?

I was playing with cyclones back in 1978 (not aircraft) and also investigating the use of them now to remove sediment from fluids.

CoffmanStarter
31st Mar 2015, 21:01
Good fun Drag ...

I think I've got it ... It's almost a helicopter and almost an aeroplane :)

dragartist
31st Mar 2015, 21:23
Almost got it Coff,
I just thought it was quite novel, like many of the features on this air vehicle.
When I first saw these things I thought they may be adjustable like punkah louvers. The vanes are fixed. I did not know if they had some EMC role. Did they come out of the Melksham design stable? Do they feature on any other air vehicle.

barnstormer1968
31st Mar 2015, 21:39
There is one just like this on one of the exhibits in the helicopter museum in Weston Super Mare.
If only I could remember which one...........

XV666
31st Mar 2015, 21:50
V22 Osprey, particle separator for one of the auxiliary intakes for cooling. Probably avionics or similar.

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/107992646-marine-corps-v-22-osprey-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=qmyHCDCtZMWvzzP3UTEriDf%2fDOMbMag1Fne3az2PROAGmsZggWFehPyk TPPUjn7N

dragartist
31st Mar 2015, 22:03
Spot on Heli, I was invited to Mildenhall to look over these things today. Great bunch of guys at 7th SOS, let us climb all over inside and out and take pictures.
The coffee was not up to much!!
What I could not work out was where the dust finished up or was ejected. I expected to see some by pass duct outlet from a plenum. I could not find the fan.
I was fascinated by the blade fold mechanism. Another interesting thing for me was the amount of electric cable running between the frames. Also the lack of hydraulic oil and fuel leaks. Lacked the smell I had expected.

ShyTorque
31st Mar 2015, 22:11
I remember the Puma sand filters but not the plastic moulded inserts.Well, that's exactly how they worked - I used to teach the subject on the Puma OCU. The particles were blown overboard by P2 air.

Looks like the HC2 still has them, but the "bin lid" blanking covers are fitted in this photo. The HC1 originally had movable "bullets" which moved, also powered by P2 air, when the system was switched on, blocking the direct intake. This forced air to enter the intakes via the polyvalent panels.

File:Aerospatiale SA330 Puma HC1 1 (3758170908).jpg - Wikimedia Commons (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Aerospatiale_SA330_Puma_HC1_1_%283758170908%29.jpg)

Edit: The separator panels / complete modules are double skinned. The end of the tubes go straight through both panels. The outer shell of the particle separator terminates inside the compartment formed by the two panels. If you look at the larger of the two diagrams above, posted by John Eacott, you might notice the "O" ring where the separator fits into a hole in the inner panel.

NutLoose
31st Mar 2015, 22:21
Seem to remember the HC1 version when first used in Norway icing up, the bullet promptly motored back and the engine then sucked the said ice through :E

ShyTorque
31st Mar 2015, 22:27
Nutty, I think that's when the "bin lids" were permanently fitted. This increased engine fuel flow to "even more horrendous".

Danny42C
1st Apr 2015, 00:25
My pills come in foil "leaves" which look just like that. Each has its own personality: Atorvastatin comes out with the velocity of a rifle bullet, can easily carry the length of my 30ft lounge unless restrained.

Just thought I'd mention it.

D.

NutLoose
1st Apr 2015, 01:47
Shy Torque, when you look at the Puma and Chinook air filters, I often wonder if a WW2 design would have worked both cheaper and as effectively, it was designed, built and test flown ( to address a problem with the Typhoon ) in under 10 hours!

see

Cecil Lewis Cowdrey - David Cowdrey (http://davidcowdrey.webs.com/cecillewiscowdrey.htm)

"Hawker Typhoons and Tempests were then operating from temporary landing strips on the Normandy beachhead and the Napier Sabre II engines were suffering from excessive wear due to the dust carried up by the propellers from the landing strip during take off.
A ‘Momentum’ type air cleaner was then designed by Mr Cecil Cowdrey and Mr Bonar, which operated on the deflection principle and was produced in large numbers in Luton and flown directly to the Squadrons operating in France. It had a filtering capacity of 96% and prolonged the life of the engine many times over, without seriously affecting the power output."

CoffmanStarter
1st Apr 2015, 08:42
Great pic Drag :ok:

I bet with your background you'll have plenty of weird and wonderful stuff to keep us amused ;)

barnstormer1968
1st Apr 2015, 09:26
Gyrocopter or Edgley Optica (sp)?

Hempy
1st Apr 2015, 10:00
V-22 Osprey

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/igor113/15886453/451924/451924_800.jpg

LowObservable
1st Apr 2015, 12:20
That's also how your Dyson works... and this is why the V-22 needs good particle separators, even on the avionics bays.

http://breakingdefense.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2012/07/v-22dust.jpg

dragartist
1st Apr 2015, 19:20
I did not imagine what was posted as a bit of fun would turn into such a debate. Interesting none the less. Thanks for the info on the Typhoon Nutty. Cowdrey is my kind of man. Lots of things we never know.
Thanks for posting the picture of the latest Puma Shy, good to see some of the stuff I designed back in 1982 are still going on the latest version. One of those things started life at 22.00 hrs one night as a insulation block from the Hangar extension roof. by 02.00 it had been fettled into a shape with the biggest bastard file I could find and by 06.00 the following morning plans had been drawn up to make the real thing at the Arsenal. The parts were test flown within a couple of weeks. they would not let me loose on the nose door seal, hence the black tape still remains.
Drag

ValMORNA
1st Apr 2015, 20:31
Danny,

I agree re the Atorvastatin tablets, but my wife's Dyson vac manages to find them eventually.

barnstormer1968
1st Apr 2015, 22:06
As an aside about tablets, whether in a flat strip or one of those pharmacist made blister packs.

The trick is to place the strip upside down over a small tumbler and press the meds out from the bottom of the strip into the tumbler, not from the bottom upwards into the open.

That's how I was trained to give meds :)