PDA

View Full Version : ADS-B Gleaning Information from CASA

Dick Smith
29th Mar 2015, 21:38
In the Regulation Impact Statement (“RIS”) that was prepared by CASA for the mandatory introduction of ADS-B, I note that it makes a number of statements.

Firstly, it states that for flights across Australia:

one airline estimates the improvement in time efficiency to be between 6 and 15 minutes …which represents an approximate time reduction of between 3% and 9%

The paper goes on to state,

If there was to be a 5% fuel improvement affecting 10% of their fleet this would equate to an annual saving of $23.8m

Can anyone advise if there has been any measurable fuel saving by direct tracking since the mandatory introduction of ADS-B?

In the same RIS, the heading under, “Table 4: Annualised ADS-B benefit” states that general aviation will get an $8.26 million fuel efficiency benefit as CASA claims there will be a 10% saving in fuel because of ADS-B.

Does anyone in GA know of a situation where there has been a measurable saving in fuel because of ADS-B?

It should be noted that the RIS says that the fitment costs of ADS-B for aircraft larger than 5,700kgs will enjoy with an estimated $12 million but – wait for this – the cost to fit the ADS-B to small aircraft will be $38 million. Can anyone advise if there has been any measurable savings since the ADS-B mandate? From my inquiries to my contacts at the major airlines, I am told there have been no savings at all.

Dick Smith
30th Mar 2015, 04:45
Silence Amazing!

Hempy
30th Mar 2015, 05:12
Bloody pilots, so resistant to change...

dubbleyew eight
30th Mar 2015, 09:17
I still haven't found an ADSB transponder that could even be fitted to my aircraft.
so I don't have one.

I think ADSB is wonderful.
in concert with all the other nonsense they (the great "they" at work again) 've come up with it has meant that no one is flying.
That means that I have a wonderful flying environment.
No other bugger in the sky and with no transponder almost no one is aware that I'm out there flying.

Australia's skies have never been better!!!!!

Capn Bloggs
30th Mar 2015, 10:30
Greatest thing since sliced bread. :ok:

CaptainMidnight
30th Mar 2015, 21:54
Greatest thing since sliced bread.Totally agree :ok:

Old Akro
30th Mar 2015, 23:51
Dick

From your experience when you were associated with CASA, is there an audit process that investigates whether expected savings occur? In the private world, most companies would have a process of reviewing major capital expenditure to see if the forecasts on which the expenditure was based were correct.

Frank Arouet
31st Mar 2015, 00:03
do you mean a cost benefit analysis?

Now there's something CAsA should contemplate.

Blockla
1st Apr 2015, 07:14
Yeah never any dodgy maths in aviation assumptions. $100M saving per annum by introducing NAS if I recall?

The name is Porter
1st Apr 2015, 07:39
I'm tipping that ADSB is making some Controller's work life a whole lot easier, I'm also tipping that not a lot of track shortening is happening due exclusively to ADSB.

CaptainMidnight
1st Apr 2015, 08:33
Reduced lateral/longitudinal separation standards now, thanks to ADS-B.

Does that qualify for "track shortening"?

The name is Porter
1st Apr 2015, 10:04
That's what I said.