PDA

View Full Version : KLM Super G Constellations

B314
28th Mar 2015, 22:30
In 1958 on this date, to this half hour I landed on the island of Santa Maria (LPAZ) on board a KLM Super G Constellation. I was 3 at the time and was about to spend 10 wonderful years living in the Azores. I wonder if there's any way of finding out which exact aircraft registration it may have been and it's eventual fate? I've tried Googling various search terms but to no avail.
Any information or suggestions gratefully received.

pppdrive
28th Mar 2015, 23:25
Having been in the same position as yourself, I wrote to both the airline concerned and ATC at departure and arrival airports. Never heard back from the airline, but ATC replied saying the info was available but would be in their archives. Another pleading letter and the information was sent back to me. Fantastic service from ATC guys/gals.

SpringHeeledJack
29th Mar 2015, 07:20
Might I suggest putting this in the 'History&Nostalgia' forum, as there are some really avid and knowledgeable posters therein. Alternatively, as it's KLM, they have a strong presence at the Aviodrome museum at Lelyestad https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviodrome and might well have historical records there ?

B314
31st Mar 2015, 00:59
Thanks pppdrive and SpringHeeledJack for your replies. I will contact ATC at LPAZ should I have no luck at the History & Nostalgia Forum which is where I should have placed my enquiry in the 1st place if only I had remembered!

B314
31st Mar 2015, 01:09
On the 28th March 1958 at approx 21.20 hours local I landed on the island of Santa Maria in the Azores on board a KLM Super G Constellation. I was 3 at the time and was about to spend 10 wonderful years living in the Azores. I wonder if there's any way of finding out which exact aircraft registration it may have been and it's eventual fate? I've tried Googling various search terms but to no avail.

Any information or suggestions gratefully received (and no my memory isn't that good I established the arrival time from a KLM schedule applicable at the time!)

Spooky 2
31st Mar 2015, 10:19
Are you sure it was a G model and not an H as KLM operated several H models.

B314
31st Mar 2015, 13:26
Oops. I've tried recalling where I got the notion it was and I can only put it down to looking at so many pictures and info that the term stuck. On reflection did they ever use Super G's? I'll bow to your knowledge Spooky 2 assume it wasn't, all other details though I am certain of.

Jhieminga
31st Mar 2015, 13:36
A quick google shows that KLM used the L-1049C and L-1049G versions. The H variant was a convertible pax/freighter version, I don't think that KLM used these, but I could be wrong and my books are at home...:8

Brit312
31st Mar 2015, 14:22
checking with Stringfellows book on the Lockheed Constellation it would seem that KLM operated 1049C, 1049E, 1049G, 1049H, , but whether all at the same time I cannot tell

Spooky 2
31st Mar 2015, 19:05
Well I flew for Flying Tigers back in the 60's and they bought or leased to former KLM 1049H aircraft. They were configured for pax at that time but may have been converted to freight later after I had left. They were a little unique in that the had a radio operators station right behind that Capt. seat. Must have been one of the last airliners configured that way.

I know one of these crashed on takeoff out of Mesa, AZ after it had left FTL. Killed all the crew onboard. Not sure about the other one.

I think the ship numbers were 515 and 516??

washoutt
6th Apr 2015, 07:57
In 1958, my sister and I as 12 years old flew to Caracas on KLM via Santa Maria, albeit in early July. The aircraft was a Super Constellation Super G, with the registration PH-LKF "Phoenix". End Augustus we returned to Holland also on if I remember correctly, the same aircraft. I think the return was via Sal Island, but I'm not sure of that. I do remember, that we had to make an unscheduled stop at Barbados and before landing, fuel was dumped through the valves just inboard of the ailerons. A long white contrail was visible. Just like a jet, I thought!
Maybe KLM sheduled the same aircraft on the same routes, perhaps someone can shed more light on this.

B314
9th Apr 2015, 00:43
Washout,
It’s interesting what Registration letters can lead to. I Googled PH-LKF and after some searching found a website where all the KLM Connies were listed. It answered part of my initial enquiry about the eventual fate of “my” aircraft in that it was scrapped at Amsterdam as it seems were all the Dutch Connies but I also found a link on Youtube to PH – LKF which I include below. You can see the name “Phoenix” about 36 seconds into the film. I note Salt Island was a destination although I can find no mention of an airport there so I wonder where the aircraft did land.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wGvfMVqxBg (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wGvfMVqxBg)
Whilst my flight on KLM in 1958 was beyong my earliest memories I do recall flying on a TWA Super Constellation (Super G Jetstream) Flt 904 out of Santa Maria in September 1960. My memories are of the thundering engines, the morning sunshine coming through the cabin windows, the green cabin partition curtain swaying slightly during the flight and as I was 5 and wearing short trousers complaining to my mother about the prickly seats!.
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

DaveReidUK
9th Apr 2015, 06:56
I note Salt Island was a destination although I can find no mention of an airport there so I wonder where the aircraft did land. Sounds like a reference to Sal Island (Portuguese for salt), Cape Verde.

washoutt
9th Apr 2015, 08:12
You're right, it was Sal, not Salt Island. What a beautiful YouTube, with the "Phoenix" flying away. Brings back memories.

B314
10th Apr 2015, 01:41
And you did indeed call it Sal Island in your answer washoutt, I went by the KLM 1957 timetable which refers to it as Salt Island and assumed it was the island in the BVI. Thanks to you and DaveReidUK for the clarification. The irony is that I learnt Portuguese and still recall some of it but would never have made the connection with the Cape Verde Islands!