PDA

View Full Version : Jubilee Flypast - The real story

Lima Juliet
8th Jun 2002, 08:52
Just read the whole Jubilee Flypast Thread and noticed an unanswered question:

Q. Why no Harriers?

A. A single engine Harrier with those ridiculous intakes glides like a brick after losing a donk at the 280kts IAS the flypast was flown at. I believe that the Big Cheese quite correctly assessed the risk too high especially after the GR7's engine failure record.

Point of interest: Eurofighter had to rely on an F3 to get him to the correct 2nm spacing due to no RADAR and A/A TACAN. British Waste-a-space wasted a massive PR opportunity to try to "impress" any interested customers by putting up the untidy black jet with a 43 Sqn emblem on the fin, a Spin-Chute attached to the back and a couple of nasty Sidewinders (Even the F3s were carrying ASRAAM when they took off from Coningsby).
A good job it's supposed to be replacing the F3 at Coningsby in a year's time?! I sense another "Blue Circle Radar" fiasco , anyone got any griff on the progress of ECR90?

LJ
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Man-on-the-fence
8th Jun 2002, 09:32
As I understand it the "Black Jet" was never supposed to have a Radar installed as it is the aerodynamic test aircrat. Its also one of the first Prototypes, how many of those have you seen with Radar?

Happy to be corrected though.

wub
8th Jun 2002, 12:46
LJ

I believe BWOS has taken delivery of around 20 production radars, now called CAPTOR and not ECR-90. So there are actually more radars than aircraft at the moment