PDA

View Full Version : Glasses how do you cope?

Gunner B12
8th Jun 2002, 07:02
Well I finally found out I need glasses and had the tests and got them made. Only problem is, when I got them I felt more dangerous driving with them than without.

I needed progressive lenses or bifocals, I went for progressive. The problem is when I look to the side, everything goes blurred way worse than I previously experienced. Of course I was told I had to get used to them and that I had to turn my head more, but I could only move my eyes 15-20 degrees away from directly ahead before things started to go out of focus again and I can't turn my head far enough to see clearly what is approaching from the right.

I have taken them back and told them they will have to come up with something better. I was wondering if anybody else would care to share thier experiences with the first time they needed glasses. Is this the norm? Will I get used to them? is there such a thing as bifocal contact lenses?

:( :( :(

By the way I haven't even dared risking flying in them!

:( :( :(

Check 6
8th Jun 2002, 08:43
You have a disadvantage in the you require bifocals as your first eye glasses.

I have been wearing eye glasses for 40+ years (since 6th grade), and went to progressive lenses about five years ago.

Progressives do take a few months to get used to. You must be patient and hang in there. Again, patience is the operative word.

Yes, there are bifocal contact lenses. Go to a reputable-experienced optomotrist.

:D :D :D

777AV8R
10th Jun 2002, 19:16
I have been wearing progressive lenses for a number of years. Yes, they take about a month of steady wearing to get used to. But once you get the 'hang' of them, they are excellent. I wear for distance and close vision.

I have several pairs, a great set of progressives that are tinted with the same amber Serengetti color...I wear them all the time and are very easy on the eyes...as well as a great color for flying.

Best of luck!

Gunner B12
14th Jun 2002, 05:45
Got a new pair last night. Turns out the first pair had been made wrong, I spotted a comment on the computer which said "remake due to wrong PD and height". Don't know what that means but these are a damn sight better.

:) :) :)

Check 6
14th Jun 2002, 08:02
Gunner B12, I would estimate that 1/3 of the progressive lens I have purchased are defective. Because of the changes in my eyes, I purchase new lenses annually. I notice it right away of course, after wearing glasses for 40+ years.

The young "know-it-all" clerks always say, try them for a few days first. I do not fall for that any more. When I first put them on if they do not look right, I give them back on the spot.

:D :D :D

Whirlybird
14th Jun 2002, 18:51
If anyone from the UK is reading this, the CAA don't allow progressive/bifocal contact lenses. They do allow varifocal glasses, but don't recommend them. I didn't like them either, mainly because as a helicopter pilot, flying into confined areas, you need to be able to judge distance fairly precisely. Bifocals are OK; work out where you want the close-up bit; I prefer just a tiny bit on the inside; some people like them halfway.