PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada seafood?

MG23
26th Mar 2015, 05:18
Is it just me, or does the business class meal on Air Canada transatlantic flights always include a seafood starter? I was thinking of buying my girlfriend an upgrade as she hates the increasingly small cattle cages in the back for long-haul flights, but she has a seafood allergy (not just eating it, but being near it), so it would be bad if we get the same meals I have on previous flights. I looked on their website and it didn't say they always do, but the example menu they showed there included... lobster and scallops.

Dash8driver1312
26th Mar 2015, 08:40
MG, best thing to do is contact the company via customer relations, they don't want to make anyone go anaphylactic for lots of reasons!

You'll find they are there to help, after all...

highflyer40
26th Mar 2015, 09:09
Give me a break!! Allergic to being "near" seafood!? Tell her to never leave the house then, she must be to delicate to live in the real world.

mixture
26th Mar 2015, 10:38
I was thinking of buying my girlfriend an upgrade as she hates the increasingly small cattle cages in the back for long-haul flights

So you normally ride up front and your girlfriend has a ticket down the back ? :eek:

As Dash8driver1312 said. Contact the company and put in a SPML request for both you and your girlfriend. Job done.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't touch seafood on an airline anyway, allergy or not... :cool:

S.o.S.
26th Mar 2015, 14:23
highflyer40 Harsh and unwarranted words. If you cannot contribute then say nothing. I won't have rudeness in my forum. You are served an Infraction Notice = a Yellow Card.

MG23
26th Mar 2015, 15:03
So you normally ride up front and your girlfriend has a ticket down the back ? :eek:

LOL. No, I'm normally up front on business trips, but settle for the back on personal trips unless I can get a free upgrade... sadly, I lost my Aeroplan status last year, so don't get those any more :(.

Yeah, I checked their customer contact info on the web site, but they only have a phone number for 9-5 weekdays, and no email. Have to see if I can find a time to call them.

cavortingcheetah
26th Mar 2015, 15:27
I think you've discovered an extraordinarily good excuse for not buying your girl friend an upgrade, much as you might want to. Perhaps though you could offer to buy her a whole row for herself in economy thereby ensuring that she can stretch her gorgeous body out in slumber land while you suffer the pangs of unrequited love, lobster and potential food poisoning in business. It almost goes without saying that you slum it down the back from time to time in order to ply her with the liquid stuff and reassure her that you were not eating oysters with a hostess or should I say stewardess? One never knows these days what people want to be called.

Incidentally and by way of a tangent, if there are to be yellow cards, which is a very sporting idea, then may we the players, have a relative ground rule please?
I dug the following out from the usual orifice and would appreciate further guidance before I inadvertently transgress.
Thank you.

(In most tournaments, the accumulation of a certain number of yellow cards over several matches results in disqualification of the offending player for a certain number of subsequent matches, the exact number of cards and matches varying by jurisdiction. In the UEFA Champions League, for instance, accumulating two yellow cards in a stage of the tournament will lead to a one-game suspension. In such situations players have been known to deliberately incur a second booking in a tournament when the following game is of little importance, deliberately resetting their yellow card tally to zero for subsequent games. However, while technically within the laws of the game, this is considered unsportsmanlike conduct, and UEFA has launched an investigation resulting in fines or suspensions.)

Edited to include the Business Class International menu from my usual airline:

Enjoy a special dinner prepared by a Dutch top chef* and served on tableware created by Dutch designer Marcel Wanders. You create your own dinner from the options available:

Choice of cold starter or vegetarian soup.
Choice of several main dishes, tailored for the time of day.
Choice of several desserts, including pie, fresh fruit and a selection of cheeses, accompanied by a glass of port or dessert wine.

I don't remember seafood as being a usual addition anywhere although the people do seem to love smoked salmon even if it is farmed and full of disease.
I certainly wouldn't eat seafood on any airliner at any time anywhere.

S.o.S.
26th Mar 2015, 22:04
cavortingcheetah you are also a cheekycheetah! :=

Briefly - and I stress that Mods do not have to justify their decisions and I was told that most clearly by the esteemed TightSlot. I was told that the simplest is to ban a user from the forum for a period days - my choice of how many days. I have used that sanction.

My fellow Mods who have served long and hard at the sharp end (like supervising the threads of MH370 and, currently, GW9525) they all tell me to just Ban and, if pushed, Ban the miscreant from the entire site in perpetuity. They do not use Infractions.

I have chosen to use the 'Infraction Notice' as it is termed in the Moderator's arsenal, as I know that transgressions are in shades of grey (ahem :rolleyes:). Thus far, the single Yellow card has worked. If you want to find out what happens if it does not - try your luck. :E

cavortingcheetah
27th Mar 2015, 06:40
S.o.S.

No particular cheekiness was intended, merely a polite request for clarification of a new and much appreciated ground rule. Civility and ground rules do, after all, form part of the base line of good CRM. It's kind of you to be so forthcoming and I'm sure that your card system will be much appreciated as a worthy and sportsmanlike successor system to that of your most illustrious predecessor. As a long time poster on these erudite pages; I have absolutely no wish to push any boundaries and many thanks to you for taking the time to respond. It has always been completely understood that Mods have to justify nothing and after reading through the MH370/GW9525 threads the necessity for that authority become apparent.
Please excuse the digression from the thread and so back on point. Reading through the link provided below would appear to imply that Air Canada disavow themselves of any liability for allergies caused by nuts and seafood in any of their menus. By extension therefore, the girl friend is in 'danger' in any class of travel on that airline although logic would indicate that this would be less so back with the riff raff.

aircanada.com - Travel Info - Special Meals (http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/onboard/dining/specialmeals.html)

ExXB
27th Mar 2015, 09:41
but she has a seafood allergy (not just eating it, but being near it)
Call the airline's reservations number and advise them of the allergy once booked. Air Canada, and other airlines, have procedures in place to deal with these situations. Calling customer service may, or may not, be as effective.

With peanuts other passengers are requested not to open peanut packages or consume brought on food that include them.

Edited to add: Make sure she has her 'epi-pen' when she travels. They are not subject to the liquids restrictions.

mixture
27th Mar 2015, 11:17
It's kind of you to be so forthcoming and I'm sure that your card system will be much appreciated as a worthy and sportsmanlike successor system to that of your most illustrious predecessor. As a long time poster on these erudite pages......

Is that chocolate on the end of your nose cavortingcheetah ? :E

Heathrow Harry
27th Mar 2015, 17:35
It's a brave passenger who eats seafood on any flight TBH