PDA

View Full Version : Foul Weather Moves of LYNX helo at sea

DK_Flyboy
25th Mar 2015, 10:34
Hello,

I wonder if I can find someone in here, which knows about UK aviation and procedures?

I know there is a procedure and limitations as to LYNX "Moving by hand with Hand-Operated nylon Lashings and Chocks" in the Royal Navy described in BRd 766, 2510 "Moving Aircraft Under Lashings (Foul Weather Moves)". Could someone tell me, if you can use the normally used nylon lashings or if you need special/longer lashings to use that procedure at sea?

Kind regards
:-)

Pheasant
25th Mar 2015, 13:59
As far as I am aware there is only one length of nylon lashing used in the RN.

rugmuncher
25th Mar 2015, 15:39
They use the same regular Nylon lashings, but the move is done under "Rolling lashings", where the lashing stays clipped to the cab and the deck and payed out as the cab is moved.

The lashings are manned by the lashing rating and locked if the moved is stopped.

david parry
25th Mar 2015, 16:02
Dodgy in foul weather, as the fisheads, who are the lashing numbers on small ships, are hanging on for dear life,in fear of going over the side, or into the nets, so keeping the parrafin pidgeon, secure whilst you are steering, and your oppo is in the cab on the brakes, is not their priority;) From one who has ended up in the nets, when the OOW has decided it was time to do manoeuvres:= The flight will secure the cab, with chain storm lashings and cradle , when she goes into the hangar

rugmuncher
25th Mar 2015, 16:09
Dave, sounds more like the Sea-King procedure.

On a Lynx flight the lads do the lashings, there is nobody in the cab as there are no brakes.

If the ship looks like it is going to deviate from the the course set after permission is granted from the OOW, then the move is stopped and the M1 would be straight on the blower to the bridge with a few choice words.

The new "manglers" help keep the front end relatively secure, but running lashings is a very useful method and practice as a team is very worthwhile.

david parry
25th Mar 2015, 16:19
Sorry , it was a Wasp:rolleyes:

rugmuncher
25th Mar 2015, 16:25
No worries Dave, :ok:

BTW, it wan't just the fish-heads hanging over the side throwing up their guts, I lost a lot of good breakfasts on some trips up north!

:yuk:

Hangarshuffle
25th Mar 2015, 17:34
DK
Use the standard nylon lashings. Not withstanding what others have said I always paid the nylon in/out via the guy who was on the end of the lashing that was attached to the flight deck. The fixed "little end" of the lashing attached to the helicopter. That way you can observe the payer outer(s) so much easier and they don't actually have to move along with the helicopter as it moves (less chance of being ran over or crushed).

You also have a sort of gatherre-inner on the lashings as well, so for a straight forward push into the hangar - you will have 4 guys paying out with the lashing as it moves towards the hangar, and four guys gathering in as it moves towards the hangar. 8 lashings in total, plus two chock men moving in close proximity (called "chocks in hand"), plus the one guy on the steering arm, or EN mechanical handler. Plus the move director who is in sole charge and maybe a few safety numbers watching out for him. Possibly plus the brakeman in the aircraft.

A shout of "stop" and its brakes on, chocks in, click lashing shut.
And repeat the process, and repeat until you are in and safe.

Very manpower intensive, has to be done in a calm controlled manner and allow time for briefing-not that commonly done and I only ever did a few over the many years. But it will be prang free if you follow the 766 procedure!

DK_Flyboy
26th Mar 2015, 05:39
Thank to so much, Gent's :ok: