PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia Airlines A330 hard landing at YMML

smiling monkey
25th Mar 2015, 07:14
From the ATSB (http://atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2015/aair/ao-2015-032.aspx) website;

The ATSB is investigating a severe hard-landing occurrence involving a Malaysian Airlines, Airbus A330 aircraft, registered 9M-MTA that occurred at Melbourne Airport, Victoria on 14 March 2015. The aircraft was operating a regular public transport service from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to Melbourne. There were no injuries reported as a result of the occurrence.

The investigation is continuing and will examine the circumstances of the occurrence, including analysis of recorded flight and other data, interviewing the flight crew and gathering and analysing additional information as necessary.

According to the Avherald (http://www.avherald.com/h?article=483abb30&opt=0), the aircraft has been on the ground for the last 10 days. Anyone with photos?

wheels_down
25th Mar 2015, 08:35
The increase in incidents occurring over the last 12-24 months in the region is starting to become alarming.

AirAsia had a stuff up at Sydney the other week, Tiger went below MSA again recently, the overnight events in Europe, AirAsia's problems late December…..

The trend appears to be getting worse? Well thats the talk amongst conversations I have had with Australian Pilots recently….Concerned about some of these Asian LCC's and their Standards.

*Lancer*
25th Mar 2015, 09:49
Malaysian is not a LCC, reports haven't been released about any of the other occurrences, and Europe is not in Asia :rolleyes:

wateroff
25th Mar 2015, 10:51
We are reaching a Training vs Experience crossover. ...... Training (box ticking) standards are falling as is the general experience level. The osmosis effect of learning from the ''experienced' guys is all but gone, and the training in most airlines these days is governed by cost. More of these accidents/incidents are inevitable. The circle of incidents will spread from from the less governed, lower cost based airlines, and filter out to the first world. Where are we in 10/20/30 years? Playing a game of chance......

Hempy
25th Mar 2015, 10:57
I used to think that the 'computerised cockpit' sans pilots would never float. That there needs to be a brain capable of making tough decisions (VOZ at YMIA..) I would never fly in the cabin without a grey headed gentleman wearing 4 bars on his shoulders and exuding competence..

Now I think I'd rather a computer flying than some of these guys, tbh. Or maybe take the bus.

The name is Porter
25th Mar 2015, 11:08
We'll all be rooned...........

Snakecharma
25th Mar 2015, 12:32
It happened the other day when it was blowing 45 kts plus on 34 with a sigmet for severe turbulence below 5 grand.

Blew all the tyres supposedly and now awaiting some undercarriage components.

Easy enough to do but bad luck for the crew nonetheless

Centaurus
25th Mar 2015, 13:46
Reminded me of an Air Asia (X?) A330 arrival into Melbourne about a year ago. F/O on command training. I did his 737 type rating ten years earlier. Active runway at Melbourne was 34 with strong winds down the runway. The trainee captain elected instead to take a 30 knot crosswind component on 27 using the ILS. His excuse was less track miles to touch-down.

The real reason I suspected, not discussed due loss of face, being 34 didn't have an ILS and he liked to remain coupled to an ILS all the way until 200 feet. It is called automation dependency and a common trait nowadays.

eternity
25th Mar 2015, 16:00
Automation Dependancy is real and it is happening......to everyone.

I came from bush flying, and slowly worked my way up the greasy pole.

Now, flying a bus for an asian airline I can DEFINATELY tell you my flying skills are going down and my Dependancy on automation is increasing.

When Asiana crash their 777 in SFO with 1 million km vis. all the western world said "that's because they never do visual approaches, they need to do more". But most airlines in Asia said "that proves that visual approaches are dangerous, the pilots should not do them".

So now, I can't do visual approaches, the closest I can get to it is hand fly raw data from a max 45 degree intercept of the localiser. Wow.....lucky me.

If we are flying out of somewhere (not China) we might hand fly up to cruise altitude. That's it. That's all the manual flying I get to do. And I have to 'fight' to get that opportunity.
That's because I'm an old bushy that believes in actually flying th plane.
The younger ones that don't have the bush and turboprop experience from (due being cadets) will 'fight' to not have to do it.

So their automation Dependancy is already a well established cancer, and mine is (sadly) growing by the day.

FO Cokebottle
25th Mar 2015, 17:00
Centaurus and eternity.....

Being somewhat old school myself and being out and about for a while, I can vouch for you both on your observations and comments regarding flying skills and certain attitudes towards same.

Roller Merlin
25th Mar 2015, 22:47
And a mentality of "blame the LAST LINE OF DEFENCE - the PILOT", when an increasing volume of latent causes are thrown at them by management - fatigue, aircraft carrying broken systems, poor rosters, time pressures, lower experienced FO "support" - all in the chase for a lower cost ticket and bigger bonuses.

Centaurus
26th Mar 2015, 00:59
So their automation Dependancy is already a well established cancer,

The problem is it is not only automation dependency that is such an insidious factor but the woolly thinking that is seemingly ingrained in the technical training regime of some cultures. I shake my head at the stories I hear from respected friends who fly overseas. I recently talked to a very experienced Australian 777 Korean Air captain some time back.

He gave his new Korean F/O (around 500 hours TT) a leg. ATIS showed CAVOK with crosswind 15 knots at destination. Captain got the F/O to brief him on what steps he would take to conduct the crosswind landing. F/O gave concise word perfect briefing about technique he would use, including the fact the crosswind was from the left and how he would use rudder and aileron to counter the left crosswind during the flare.

During final it was obvious the crosswind had abated and only a slight wind now straight down the runway. The F/O stayed coupled to the ILS all the way down, but at the flare and to the utter surprise of the captain, the F/O kicked on the rudder and lowered a wing and nearly went off to one side. The captain took over almost too late to prevent this debacle but managed to recover and got the 777 straight again.

During the "discussion" that took place while taxiing, the captain asked the F/O what the hell he was up to when there was no crosswind. The F/O replied that he had flown the aircraft exactly as he had previously briefed and that it wasn't his fault if the ATIS was wrong...:ugh: Words failed the captain who thought he had seen it all in this carrier.

Oakape
26th Mar 2015, 01:19
It also gets exciting when they roll in left aileron with a cross-wind from the right. I got the impression he thought he was driving a car! (I want the nose to go to the left to align with the runway, so I need to steer left). I believe he had a couple of thousand hours.

Going Nowhere
26th Mar 2015, 01:55
9M-MTA ? FlightAware (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/9MMTA)

Looks like it's on the way home for further repairs.

UnderneathTheRadar
26th Mar 2015, 02:08
Looks like it's on the way home for further repairs.

I was about to wonder why it's going via Darwin then noticed it's planned at 10,000, flying at FL180. Must be a lot of repairs still needed.....

LeeJoyce
26th Mar 2015, 04:03
this was sitting on the new golf bays

they had a heap of tyres they put on it from what i saw

Ex FSO GRIFFO
26th Mar 2015, 07:53
Here 'Tis....

https://twitter.com/PlaneTalking/status/580902958717485056?t=1&cn=cmVjb3NfbmV0d29ya19kaWdlc3RfYWI%3D&sig=b9d188fac4813526f8787b7a3db07a50e97b7217&al=1&refsrc=email&iid=47e3f923b4af40d08438f5e599e3e02e&autoactions=1427354970&uid=1237416026&nid=244+1852+20150323

Taking the 'Scenic Route'....

Tee Emm
26th Mar 2015, 11:58
It happened the other day when it was blowing 45 kts plus on 34 with a sigmet for severe turbulence below 5 grand.

ATC must have witnessed the final approach and landing and landing roll. Anyone from ATC care to describe what actually happened leading up to the assault landing on 34? Was it a High/low/unstable approach/flared high/flared too late/burst all tyres on touch down/burst tyres only during landing run. Did the pilot taxi in or was the aircraft towed from the runway? Don't be coy about these things. Other crews could learn from this experience but only if someone forgets political correctness and describes how it happened...

If it had been an Australian operator incident the pundits would be rushing in to describe what they saw...

lurker999
26th Mar 2015, 13:14
wondered why there was an MAS 330 parked at YPDN this arvo.

Stone_cold
26th Mar 2015, 15:48
Wheels down , curious as to where Tiger went below MSA again ?

MASTEMA
27th Mar 2015, 10:59
Wheels down

You single out Air Asia, Tiger Oz and German Wings, and declare;

The increase in incidents occurring over the last 12-24 months in the region is starting to become alarming

That is a big region!

Concerned about some of these Asian LCC's and their Standards.

One out of three ain't bad!

James4th
29th Mar 2015, 05:42
I am afraid this is a world wide problem. From teaching in the Sim and on the line in every continent except South America over the last 25 years I have watched the slow slide of experience leave our profession to be replaced by MCPL qualified pilots of around 2-300 hours who have never flown bush, mountain, instructed, charter or anything else. This insidious degradation of experience is a killer as, unfortunately, we will see in the not too distant future unless more experienced pilots are hired and a lot more money spent on airline training.

This of course is not possible where there is no GA base from which to choose your pilots. With the huge growth in Asia I see no other option than to hire more expat pilots to stiffen the ranks, let the the young F/Os stay longer in the RHS, spend a lot more money on training of MCPL pilots on the line ..... and that means many many hours and a lot more expenditure.

Is this going to happen? I think we all know the answer.

James4th
29th Mar 2015, 05:46
And I forgot to mention HAND FLYING!!!

Do more hand flying (repeat endlessly forever.)

Especially up to Transition and from Transition to landing. I know this is banned by a lot of airlines. WHEN WILL THEY BLOODY LEARN!!!!!! The evidence is staring them in the face.

Do more hand flying (repeat endlessly forever)

Jimmy.