PDA

View Full Version : Ooops! No more flightdeck selfies?

Farrell
24th Mar 2015, 03:42
Positioning Of Captain?s Personal Camera Caused Near Crash Of U.K. A330 | Defense content from Aviation Week (http://aviationweek.com/defense/positioning-captain-s-personal-camera-caused-near-crash-uk-a330)

Buster Hyman
24th Mar 2015, 05:54
Thank God he didn't put his wallet down!

Tourist
24th Mar 2015, 06:00
Thankfully, the Captains personal integrity led him to come forward and own up immediately thus halting an incredibly costly and embarrassing grounding.....
......oh, wait.

Mil-26Man
24th Mar 2015, 06:50
http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/533921-voyager-plummets-merged.html

Simplythebeast
24th Mar 2015, 07:19
That's what happens when you have a loose Canon in the cockpit. (Or was it a Nikon?)

Mil-26Man
24th Mar 2015, 07:20
Didn't all the detail of this AvWeek story come out in the MAA's initial report from a year ago?

P6 Driver
24th Mar 2015, 12:20
Were the photos any good after all that fuss?

Tourist
24th Mar 2015, 12:33
There were no photos........

........and then there were!

ShotOne
24th Mar 2015, 13:05
Judge for yourself, p6 they're in the report; mi26 kindly posted the link. But they're not selfies.

Tourist
24th Mar 2015, 15:14
No SAM, in a "7.5 G loop", the camera would be pressed into your lap, not upwards from where it can fall.

It is a simple basic tenet of a loop that the g forces increase and decrease, but always in the same direction.

In conclusion, you are talking hoop.

Old-Duffer
24th Mar 2015, 15:38
Tourist,

Perhaps Sam is trying to claim it was an inverted loop????!!!!!

O-D

Bob Viking
24th Mar 2015, 15:39
I feel certain you are quite correct in your assertion however you missed the most glaring error of all.

7.5G. In an F3?!

You have got to be fricking kidding me!

BV:rolleyes:

Tourist
24th Mar 2015, 15:46
I've been accused of bullying the weak before, but even I feel bad about pointing out the weaknesses of the F3.
No challenge to it.

Bob Viking
24th Mar 2015, 17:04
I'm just waiting for someone who knows my background to suggest this is a pot/kettle situation.

BV:O

Stuff
24th Mar 2015, 17:47
Oh I don't know, you could probably get 7.5G out of the Hawk 115.

Your other type... not so much.

Bob Viking
24th Mar 2015, 17:59
The former...definitely.

The latter...maybe for a very brief spell.

BV;)

Bob Viking
24th Mar 2015, 18:26
I think he was taking issue with your statement that the camera fell back into your hands at the bottom of a loop. At no stage during a sustained positive G manouevre would it have floated away from your hands.

However if you were to have said that it fell out when you were inverted and then plopped back into your lap when you rolled erect that is a different matter.

If you wish to stand by your original post that is fine. It just comes across a little like the Iraqi Information Minister who stated there were no infidels in Iraq.

I can see the point you were trying to make but it was just poorly executed!

As for the 7.53G?! I'll take your word for it.

BV:ok:

MSOCS
24th Mar 2015, 19:15
I was once chatting in the bar with a very nice chap (old, bold test pilot) who told a great tale of when he was once carrying an analogue 'g' meter to his private aircraft after taking it out of its box. En-route, he walked down a few steps then jumped the last two and carried on to his aircraft. On arriving to fit the device he was very surprised to see the 'g' meter reading upwards of 10g so went back to the steps and repeated the jump. Suffice it to say he spent a while - looking like a right twerp (his words!) - while he tried to get as high a reading as possible! He claimed that he "pulled" almost 15g at one point.....albeit for a nanosecond!

Oddly, he mentioned nothing about the 'g' meter floating out of his hands! :E

Tourist
24th Mar 2015, 19:19
In another thread you accused me of trying to make you look stupid SAM.

Whilst this is undoubtedly true, I feel that my efforts are distinctly amateur, a dim glow compared the searing light of your own efforts.....

jonw66
24th Mar 2015, 20:25
Good day to avoid Cromer or Norfolk for that matter by the sound of it. :O

LowObservable
25th Mar 2015, 13:38
That's what happens when you have a loose Canon in the cockpit.

Boom boom!

http://www.theartsdesk.com/sites/default/files/Prom_59_Basil_Brush.jpg

Actually, putting an Olympus in the F3 was exactly what it needed.