PDA

View Full Version : airline seats being dumped en masse ?

BNEA320
24th Mar 2015, 00:12
it appears that the public aren't buying airline seats in any great number to anywhere at the moment.

Air Asia last week was doing $67 one way from Australia to ports beyond KUL like Langkawi, Penang etc. ($67 is basically the taxes)

Scoot dumping seats to SIN from $139 (OOL/SIN) in school holidays.

Even trans-tasman is being dumped.

eg. BNE/DUD/BNE in ski season for $330 return. (add $50 for checked baggage)

+ $1000 return fares to Europe.

All of these prices include taxes & charges.

& yes, for some of these deals there maybe only a dozen seats per flight, but it's not good to be continually selling loss leaders as public then thinks this is the benchmark & won't book until fares approach these sort of levels.

Talking to a few travel agents, they say they are doing lots of costings, but very few people are paying or in the case of a package, putting down a deposit. They both said that many people are waiting til it gets cheaper to book/pay.

Any cheaper & airlines will be closing down.

PoppaJo
24th Mar 2015, 00:18
Hawaii prices have tanked also, Jetstar offers $500-$600 return flights most weeks on sales.

Got an email last week from AirNZ offering Australia-USA for $900 return.

Great time to Explore the world!

BNEA320
24th Mar 2015, 01:10
apart from residential real estate in cities, there seems to be no consumer confidence out there at present.

Seems to be a race to the bottom, where everyone wants things cheaper, but everyone also likes to be paid. Doesn't work.

Everyone seems to be trying to give stuff away & the opposition seems to think they need to do the same.

waren9
24th Mar 2015, 06:29
somewhat at odds with airnz then?

apparently keeping the 767's for now. a mate on them tells me they're keeping them for a while yet.

they wouldnt be doing that if they didnt have work for them.

wheels_down
24th Mar 2015, 07:35
United and American are looking at launching USA-NZ flights. If that happens, there goes NZ's profitability.

BNEA320
24th Mar 2015, 07:41
yeh strange that QF haven't launched a 787 onto AKL/LAX with J*.

NZ have up to 3 x 777's AKL/LAX.

waren9
24th Mar 2015, 08:45
maybe jq bought the wrong 787 for akl-lax?

if there was any money that route, qf would have kept the 330 on it?

BNEA320
24th Mar 2015, 08:57
NZ appear to be making money on it.

Why else would UA & AA be looking at it ?

standard unit
24th Mar 2015, 09:07
if there was any money that route, qf would have kept the 330 on it?

They were making money on it.

The aircraft were redeployed so that Joyce's could take part in a pissing contest with Borghetti.

We all know how that went :ugh:

PPRuNeUser0198
24th Mar 2015, 10:55
They were making money on it.

Can you back this up with data, or is this your opinion?

Tosspott
24th Mar 2015, 11:33
Remember 2008 and then the Trillions of dollars of money printing.Maybe reality is starting to kick in.

standard unit
24th Mar 2015, 11:39
Can you back this up with data, or is this your opinion?

I was told by one of the senior managers in AKL that he had been told by Lesley Grant that the reason the aircraft were going to operate domestically was because they could make "more" money doing so.

The inference being they were chasing greater returns despite AKL-LAX-AKL being in the black.

Australopithecus
24th Mar 2015, 13:41
In general, is it not true that four departures per day will yield more profit than two? Especially four segments of four hours compared to a couple of 11 hour sectors with higher fuel costs per mile/km/parsec?

That said, I have no doubt that the 330 made money on the route. When QF abandoned AKL they also jettisoned a host of loyal FF members. Those customers will only be won back, if ever, at high cost. It was an idealogical (as opposed to just plain logical) move. In 45 years doing this I have seen some pretty dumb management moves. Robbing International to engage in a domestic pissing contest was one of the most pig-ignorant.

Every time that I fly a half load PER-MEL I wonder who is playing at The Met. Or The Gardens. Or if I should renew my subscription to "The New Yorker"?

Getting back to the initial premise of a silent seat sale: Many anecdotal indicators* show that the spending brakes have been hit hard. I have two car dealers ringing daily about specific new cars that I saw five weeks ago. That can't be good. This morning the line up at security was exactly one person long. Usually it is fifty or so.

*Some people collect stamps. I collect bad news. Judge accordingly.

BNEA320
26th Mar 2015, 03:18
inbox this am, full of more incredible airfare deals. Yes they may only be 5 seats per flight at loss leader fares, (eg. $67 one way to KUL & beyond inc all taxes) but the stream is constant.

All govts & the media, need to be talking up the economy & boost consumer confidence FAST !!!

BP2197
26th Mar 2015, 11:54
Profit = Revenue - Cost

If we accept this and that there is limited ability to differentiate to add significantly enhanced revenue, the only option is to reduce cost.

If we want to maintain our wage levels, then we had better be pretty jolly good (read efficient and productive) at what we do.

To do this, we need the best, most reliable processes and should be constantly trying to change them to make them better. Do we do this or are we stuck in the "we've always done it this way" mentality.

Our job security is up to us - we, the every day employees need to be the leaders and all drive the cost down.

PPRuNeUser0198
27th Mar 2015, 02:42
Whilst driving the lowest cASK possible, is absolutely critical to margin improvement, it is also important to explore new revenue opportunities. This is where, and why, ancillary revenue, is so fundamentally important to the success or most low cost airlines.

Driving up fares does little. The LCC demographic is price sensitive. There is no yield play within cabins.

You should encourage your cabin crew behind the door, to actively pursue inflight revenue as aggressively as possible. In Australia, this is not front-of-mind, but is in other countries, and operators.

cavemanzk
28th Mar 2015, 04:03
somewhat at odds with airnz then?

apparently keeping the 767's for now. a mate on them tells me they're keeping them for a while yet.

they wouldnt be doing that if they didnt have work for them.

Word on the block is the 763s are about to get an refit and product upgrade, they last had AVOD Installed about 5 years ago.

BNEA320
29th Mar 2015, 01:45
guess many airlines are now trying to hedge their future fuel costs at todays prices as much as possible, without the hedging costing them too much.

BNEA320
31st Mar 2015, 04:14
JQ now dumping OOL-SYD-MEL/CHC flights in ski season from $191 to $235 return !!!

Take out taxes & they are not netting much on these flights.

Where will it end ?

A race to the bottom.

Things must be rough out there for airlines catering for the leisure traveller & for those airlines, who's regular pax are deciding whether to have a flying holiday or not ?

PPRuNeUser0198
1st Apr 2015, 21:22
A race to the bottom.

Not really. This is yield management at play. Stimulating demand. Advertising, get people online. Fare might be gone, next fare affordable, purchase.

Then additional extraction of ancillary revenue e.g. hotels, transfers, food and beverage, baggage etc.

Normal practice this far out by all airlines.

BNEA320
1st Apr 2015, 22:38
Quote:
A race to the bottom. Not really. This is yield management at play. Stimulating demand. Advertising, get people online. Fare might be gone, next fare affordable, purchase.

Then additional extraction of ancillary revenue e.g. hotels, transfers, food and beverage, baggage etc.

Normal practice this far out by all airlines.

>>>>>>

not not for peak season Xmas holidays. This is a sign that forward bookings are well behind expectations. Normally a big % of people are now booked for Xmas school holidays & by all reports they have enquired, but not much money is changing hands (agents/wholesalers-we talk to them all the time)

Rather than dump seats, the airlines should be packaging with tour operators.

Most legacy carriers get very little of the hotel, transfers, food & beverage, baggage etc. whereas LCC's are good at this.

We now have QF, VA, FJ, DL, UA, NZ all dumping seats to LAX in big numbers.

Group of us want to go to USA in early JAN. If wait til 12JAN can get return for under $1k & we're talking reasonable numbers, close to 40.

We might have to split between flights/airlines, but sure beats going subload.

PPRuNeUser0198
2nd Apr 2015, 02:19
Forward booking flat. So stimulate demand by discounting. Once one carrier does it, others follow to remain competitive.

You're not correct about legacy not making money on ancillary. There is money in it. This is why legacy airlines typically have package options in-house, versus using third-party wholesalers. But they will partner with some, paying them commission, and gaining the yield on the fare and other incomes, as they wholesaler will push the airline to the customer, and package the hotel from their inventory.

Airlines are in the business to transport people from A - B. If they have interest in wholesaling, they do package with tour operators. And most do it in different ways. Even the LCC's do it.

Airlines don't discount to loose. They discount to stimulate. Extract revenues through other means. This is yield management. Fare mix is key. Patronage is key.

BNEA320
2nd Apr 2015, 04:01
nope, it's all going pear shaped.

Just saw AUD$1000 inc return BNE or SYD/LAX departing late Dec or early JAN, coming home well before kids start school.

Scary things was there were lots of seats (hundreds, spread over a week) at these prices.

Maybe short duration sale, but panic has set in already.

Marketing people at some of these airlines, need to sharpen their act.

waren9
2nd Apr 2015, 04:40
We now have QF, VA, FJ, DL, UA, NZ all dumping seats to LAX in big numbers.

air nz syd-lax return 12th jan 2016 over $2100aud

50% discount for group booking? dont think so

BNEA320
2nd Apr 2015, 04:47
$1000 return is on direct flights, not on flights via the the land of the long bleck cloud !!!

Who's talking about group seats ?

Group seats are never the cheapest.

The more seats you buy, the higher the price of each on average.

waren9
2nd Apr 2015, 05:02
airnz dont do syd lax direct. akl lax is similar pricing

it was you who mentioned group seats

and looking at virgins site, i cant see anything anywhere near $1k return for those dates

PPRuNeUser0198
2nd Apr 2015, 05:17
Each market has different booking curves. This is closely monitored. There may be seats, but these will diminish once uptake grows. Fare classes / types change on a regular basis. Sometimes daily.

Consumer demand is variable. This is stimulation. Not loss making. By the end of it, there will be sufficient yield strong fares sold.

There is a lot of capacity today. This needs to be rationalised. Depends on who goes first.

There is no panic my friend.

BNEA320
2nd Apr 2015, 06:29
actually NZ does do SYD/LAX direct (direct means same aircraft; it does not mean same as nonstop)

No, we didn't mention groups.

& didn't say it was on Virgin site, it was Helloworld site, so no posting ****e.

There are still hundreds of peak season departures to LAX under $1100. Peak season for departures is up to 15JAN.

No T-Vasis, you don't seem to understand yield management at all.

You don't sell seats at $1000 in peak season, unless things are desperate, otherwise the public out there will think this is a normal type of fare & not book til they see it again.

Very scary !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

waren9
2nd Apr 2015, 07:03
despite all your word twisting, still not seeing a airnz lax return for anything like $1k?

BNEA320
2nd Apr 2015, 08:28
look harder but not on kiwi site

PPRuNeUser0198
2nd Apr 2015, 11:26
otherwise the public out there will think this is a normal type of fare & not book til they see it again.

I don't agree. And they won't see it again.

I think I have an idea, since I did it for an airline for a few years successfully.

It is stimulation due to flat demand, over capacity, and aggressive competition. That is it. You'll see.

BNEA320
3rd Apr 2015, 01:24
prior to VA/DL starting SYD/LAX/SYD in late 2007, standard peak season fares to LAX were $3300 on QF. Even airline of last resort UA managed to get $2500.

YIELD MANAGEMENT 101
Never ever drop the airfare in peak season to stupid levels, when you should be able to fill aircraft at high yielding fares.

Heard there may have been a mistake yesterday with the $1000 fares & stupidly like sheep, other airlines followed. (it seems kids fares may have been entered for adults)

Now punters will ask, when will the peak season fares be $1000 again or they go into airline websites & organise them to send out email airfare alerts for $1000 fares in peak season, which will never happen again (unless we have more pilot suicides or another SEP11)

Water Wings
3rd Apr 2015, 02:53
actually NZ does do SYD/LAX direct (direct means same aircraft; it does not mean same as nonstop
Few things wrong with your statement. The industry accepted term for direct is usually taken as meaning the same flight number continues through multiple stops. Change of gauge is common on direct flights. In the USA, United used to be a good example of an airline offering all sorts of direct flights (they show up higher in many booking engines than connecting flights) with not only a change of aircraft but a often a change of gauge at an intermediate point (737 to 747 etc).

As for NZ doing SYD/LAX "direct," LAX is predominately the realm of the 77W these days and the connecting SYD flights for the evening services are 104/704 or 118/718 which is usually a 772, the 763 or A320 also been common and the 77W the least used of all types. Different flight number, different type....not really meeting the industry accepted term of direct.

BNEA320
3rd Apr 2015, 23:51
OK point taken, but you can say SYD/LAX is direct on NZ when 777 all the way.

eg.

NZ118/NZ102

or

NZ104/NZ006

& yes at certain times of the year, SYD/AKL could be operated by different aircraft. Not sure if a 772 can do AKL/LAX with a full load, so maybe sometimes SYD/AKL maybe a 772 & AKL/LAX would be a 773.

Before QF flew BNE/LAX nonstop, the flight used to go BNE/AKL/LAX (did it myself around 2003 think it was) & yes it was the same flight number all the way.

Just read an article on Australia's massive housing bubble & if I had a big mortgage or any mortgage, I'd probably wouldn't be booking flights anywhere either.

Is all this going to lead to airline failures within next 12 months ?

CurtainTwitcher
4th Apr 2015, 00:16
Just read an article on Australia's massive housing bubble & if I had a big mortgage or any mortgage, I'd probably wouldn't be booking flights anywhere either.

Interest payments as a percentage of income by household have been declining for a while.

http://www.rba.gov.au/chart-pack/images/5-6-household-sector/6tl-hhfin-small.gif?accessed=2015-04-04-10-58-32
source: RBA: Chart Pack-Household Sector (http://www.rba.gov.au/chart-pack/household-sector.html)

Many in the housing market are debt free or have small balances. It is only the new entrants or those with high LV ratio's that have been affected by the rise in house prices. Many have been completely unaffected, except by an increase in their equity.

It is a drawing a long bow to attribute falling airfares to this to rising houseprices. Correlation does not equal causation. You may wish to consider the possibility that falling interest rates leads to over-capacity (cheap debt ---> expansion) in many industries, including aviation.

OverRun
6th Apr 2015, 14:32
I think BNEA320 might be on the mark here. The Easter weekend papers were full of very deep discount fares. I just checked SYD-LAX return for Jan 2016, and VA are $1145 and QF $1245. For adult fares.

PPRuNeUser0198
6th Apr 2015, 22:56
The number of discounted seats will be minimal. This is interest stimulation. Forward bookings are likely lower than forecast. The airline(s) are stimulating the market to get traction. This isn't the first time deep discounts have been offered in peak periods.

BNEA320
8th Apr 2015, 03:57
nope there are plenty of loss leader seats.

Looked at one date in January & stopped counting at 50.

Pinky the pilot
8th Apr 2015, 07:48
This thread certainly makes for interesting reading. As for seats being dumped; here in Australia yes, but what is happening in Japan makes me wonder.

I'm headed back there in late May for another glorious three months of Glider Towing and booked and paid for the whole trip there and back in early March. For the return trip in late August, all economy seats out of Chitose for Haneda were already booked!:eek: Five months in advance.:ooh:

And there was only one Business class seat left. So I really had no choice but to take it.:(

The fact that it was only an extra $AUD100 softened the blow a bit!:D

Anyway, I get reimbursed when I get there so no great problem

PoppaJo
8th Apr 2015, 11:40
Just now I booked a return to MEL-LAX on AirNz for $790 for August!

Including taxes! It's on the website and bookable if you don't believe me!

What is going on!

AEROMEDIC
9th Apr 2015, 04:04
Most posts seem to refer to economy. Any info from anyone about business and first or is it broadly based?

BNEA320
10th Apr 2015, 02:50
now there are $999 return fares (including taxes) from both BNE & SYD to LAX departing from 10JAN, which means could do 2 weeks in USA & still get back before kids go back to school January 27 or 28.

Why are airlines doing this ? & we're not talking just a few seats here.

Many bus class types don't pay their own fares, so these aren't as price sensitive.

BNEA320
12th Apr 2015, 08:10
Is this due to the fuel price drop and the economics of the market changing?think it's due to lack of confidence. Gina Hancock said yesterday we're fast becoming the Greece of the south.

BNEA320
16th Apr 2015, 06:34
at loss leader prices

SCOOT $139 OOL/SIN ONE WAY

CEBU PACIFIC $199 RETURN SYD/MNL/SYD

all taxes included, but no food, drinks or checked baggage, but no that much extra.

eg. SCOOT 20kgs checked baggage & basic meal & drink $34.

Take out the $55 OZ departure taxes & security charges & not left with much !!!!!!!!!!!

PoppaJo
16th Apr 2015, 07:06
Singaporeans have no experience whatsoever in running low-cost carriers, and I don't expect they ever will. Tiger and Jetstar Asia have been poorly managed business that have together lost over $1 Billion.

Singapore clearly have demonstrated they will bail out Tiger at any cost, they have thrown hundreds of millions at failed ideas. Funding losses does not seem to be a problem so I'd expect Scoots losses wouldn't be an issue over the next decade, until the money dries up.

Id expect Scoot to head down a similar road as Tiger and bleed millions every year, just you watch, they will never hold the 20 787s on order.

The fact that Scoot is re routing its Gold Coast flights via Sydney says it all really.

CurtainTwitcher
16th Apr 2015, 07:23
And how precisely are you going to get back?

I just did a dummy Scoot return trip (OOL-SIN-OOL) and the return price is (all figures AUD) $562 ($139 +$239) (+20Kg baggage + hot meal each way). I'm only at stage 2 of the booking, but already I can "upgrade" my hot meal to a premium (+$4 each leg available online only). I could also have included a 2nd carry on bag (+$30 each leg).

To go further through the process, I am required to actually start the booking with real names. No doubt in further stages of the 5 step process I could choose such things as a blanket, seat allocation, exits rows - each for a modest fee, but they all add up. I'm sure there is a credit card surcharge somewhere in there too, probably I'd discover it after investing a lot of time to make it through the web maze.

The price ($139 for Scoot) you quote is taken out of context, you are indeed quoting a loss-leader - but only for a single component of a bundle system that you must purchase, usually a return trip + bags at minimum. You need to look at what most passengers would actually be required to do, not quote just a single component of an integrated bundle. The marketing trick here is to only show you an artificially cheap component that in essence cannot be purchased as a standalone item.

Further, there is the "moment of truth" after the shopping holiday at the airport when you have busted you 20Kg baggage allowance and they literally can charge you an arm and leg to get the rest of the booty home. I'm sure there are lots of other gotcha's embedded in there for unsuspecting travellers, all fixable by handing over your Credit Card.

Look at the total cost, not individual items.

BNEA320
17th Apr 2015, 01:34
plenty of $139 fares each way.

Plus talking to people flying over to SIN, it seems many are travelling very light, so many may not need any checked baggage & buying clothes etc in SIN.

Some said they were only going as it was $139 each way.

There's talk around that either Air Asia X, Scoot or Cebu Pacific might start flying the Tasman, although would have thought it unlikely that Scoot would do it, being owned by SQ.

If any did, they would really thrown the cat amongst the pidgeons.

Cebu has something like 436 seats on their A330's, which means their costs per seat must be very low.

CurtainTwitcher
17th Apr 2015, 05:15
BNEA320, you began & titled this thread with a question airline seats being dumped en masse ?

Here is what you posted first #1 (http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/558629-airline-seats-being-dumped-en-masse.html#post8913281)
it appears that the public aren't buying airline seats in any great number to anywhere at the moment.

Air Asia last week was doing $67 one way from Australia to ports beyond KUL like Langkawi, Penang etc. ($67 is basically the taxes)

Scoot dumping seats to SIN from $139 (OOL/SIN) in school holidays.

You appear to determine to prove this your your assertion,as a foregone conclusion. This technique is "positivism", and it one that lawyers would use to advance their clients interests, not to genuinely attempt to get towards an objective truth. A defendants lawyer is not required to assist in convicting his client, fair enough.

Scientific enquiry on the other hand is generally accepted as falsification - if I can't disprove something, with all the evidence in hand, then it must be considered provisionally true until more evidence is found, but I must continue to search for evidence that disproves my theory.

However, you appear to entirely to discount any evidence, even your own [Cebu has something like 436 seats on their A330's, which means their costs per seat must be very low] to the contrary. Your right, their cost base are much lower as they pack 45% more seats compared traditional carriers. Does this provide evidence that they are dumping seats because there are no customers?

As I indicated in post above, the web headline fare is a lowball marketing technique to stimulate interest. Why would airlines, particularly a LCC want to do this? Probably because Google & fare comparison sites rank by price. The only way to get the customer to click through is to at the top of the list as the lowest price. Once you have been taken to the airlines website, it is much more difficult to do comparisons between carriers once all the restrictions & hurdles are added.

Mobile phone & internet companies do exactly the same thing with their contracts. Companies are carried by a wholesale base carrier (eg Virgin carried on the Optus network) resell virtually identical services - phone calls, SMS's & data. Yet they make it exceedingly difficult to do a direct comparison. There are a myriad of other things that happen behind the scenes (technical support, data priority etc). The end of the day most get an identical service, yet have paid different prices for this item. That's down to the skill of marketing department, to reap as much as they can from the market for an identical product.

Can you directly compare the "value" of each of the 436 seats on an Cebu A330 (http://www.seatmaestro.com/airplanes-seat-maps/cebu-pacific-air-airbus-a330.html) (Cebu Pacific presents the world's most cramped long haul A330 (http://www.seatmaestro.com/airplanes-seat-maps/cebu-pacific-air-airbus-a330.html) ) vs each of the 400 seats on a Scoot B772 (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Scoot_Airlines/Scoot_Airlines_Boeing_777-200ER.php) for 16 hours of travel?

Can you compare the "value" of customer support of each LCC when your aircraft breaks down and you may be left on your own? For the most part LCC's will do only the bare legal minimum. LCC push all the risk they can back onto their customers, fair enough, as long as the customer understands. Some simply refuse to refund their customers money for cancelled flights (AirAsia X stalls on flight refunds for cancelled Adelaide to Kuala Lumpur route (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-12/air-asia-stalls-on-flight-refunds-for-cancelled-adelaide-route/6307922)).

Yes, there will be some incredibly price sensitive customers who will spend days trawling websites to get one way fares, go without food and water & carry 7kg of hand luggage to a foreign destination as one of 436 passengers. But really, is the bulk of the experience for travellers, especially families who cannot split up for different flights?

The limited evidence you have presented thus far fails to make your case in my opinion. You seem to only see the evidence that suits your argument, and ignore anything else. This is not to discount that you may actually be correct, however ignoring evidence that doesn't suit your arguments simply doesn't make it go away.

BNEA320
17th Apr 2015, 07:30
$999 return to lax from bne for peak season departures from 10 jan Extended.

According to airline rep sales at these prices are very slow.

Am thinking flights will be cut next or airlines will start failing left right & centre.

It looks like being a very rough 2015 for many airlines.

BNEA320
18th Apr 2015, 07:32
poppa said

The fact that Scoot is re routing its Gold Coast flights via Sydney says it all really.

>>

only 2 flights per week are SIN/SYD/OOL & they are on brand new 789's, as are all SYD flights.

Got back today on TZ & virtually no difference between TZ & JQ.

Curtaintswitch said

>>

Further, there is the "moment of truth" after the shopping holiday at the airport when you have busted you 20Kg baggage allowance and they literally can charge you an arm and leg to get the rest of the booty home. I'm sure there are lots of other gotcha's embedded in there for unsuspecting travellers, all fixable by handing over your Credit Card.

Look at the total cost, not individual items.

>>

yep & total cost is vastly less than any legacy carrier. Every airline these days legacy, LCC or ULCC, will hit you with excess baggage charges & don't think TZ charges are higher than anyone else.

People will always pay ($139 + $34) x 2 sooner than they will pay $346. Why it sounds cheaper.

1a sound asleep
18th Apr 2015, 10:57
https://scontent-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/t31.0-8/11140778_10155467916630323_129431368251000017_o.jpg

BNEA320
19th Apr 2015, 03:08
$799 is just plain stupid marketing by the kiwis (bestjet is former strategic/Air Australia's CEO's wife we believe)

If people will pay $799, they'll pay $999 including some ground content, either car &/or accom.

Or even $1499 with $700 ground content.

All these low fares create a benchmark in the average punters mind & they'll hold off booking in future, until similar type of fare appears.

1a sound asleep
19th Apr 2015, 07:07
$799 is just plain stupid marketing by the kiwis

It's desperation. Since the AUD has gone down 20-25% its made holidaying in the USA more expensive for Australians and as a result there are a lot of empty seats down the back.

Secondly the Australian economy isn't positive and people are not spending the way they were 2 years ago. All those FIFO workers that now have no work have no money for the Disney trips.

The same discounts can be found on flights to the UK and Europe.

Pinky the pilot
19th Apr 2015, 08:03
So what is going to eventually happen in this apparent race to the bottom?

Yet another Airline going belly up or what?:confused:

waren9
19th Apr 2015, 15:19
given that websites address, is that $799usd?

1a sound asleep
19th Apr 2015, 17:31
given that websites address, is that $799usd?

AUD
Bestjet.com is 100% Australian
Fortitude Valley, QLD, 4006

I have also seen Return Flights SYD-LHR for $1289 for next month
(via Delhi each direction)

There are plenty of heavily discounted seats even next month

http://i60.tinypic.com/ncjeb8.jpg

BNEA320
19th Apr 2015, 22:08
no AUD$799.

It's not exclusive to them. Sure they might have discounted it 1 or 2%.

BNEA320
25th Apr 2015, 03:31
VA are matching BNE & SYD/LAX rtn for AUD$999 inc tax & now also offering MEL/LAX rtn for $50 more.

Truckloads of seats for departure from 10 January onwards.

How is govt going to restore consumer confidence ?

mikedreamer787
25th Apr 2015, 06:20
Sounds like a crisis.

The Chinese word for 'crisis' is a combination of two words - danger+opportunity.

I suggest that you take note of the latter word and profit from it. ;)

BNEA320
27th Apr 2015, 00:04
when you have big travel groups taking only $99 deposit on Xmas fare specials, with balance 10 weeks out, you know things are very VERY slow in booking land.

Usually any specials these days are book now, pay(in full) now.

BNEA320
4th May 2015, 06:36
BNE/DUD/BNE for only $336 return inc 23kgs checked for most of ski season from late July to mid Sep.

Exhibition Week in BNE based around Exhibition Wed (12AUG) which is a public holiday is busiest week for skiers ex BNE, far busier than school holidays, according to a number of BNE ski shops, as many families go then, as often more reliable snow, than in school holidays.

Some schools seem to have 1 or 2 sports days that week, so kids miss stuff all school.

Counted 140 seats at above fare spread over the 4 flights prior to 12AUG. This is a significant number, average of 35/flight, or about 1/4 of all economy seats. We've studied, airline sales events, both domestic & international, as part of a business plan for an airline & most other sales events we've checked out have from 2 to 9 seats at cheapest fare.

BNEA320
8th May 2015, 00:00
SYD/MNL on Cebu Pacific now from AUD$149 & AUD$110 MNL/SYD

1a sound asleep
8th May 2015, 12:50
SYD-LAX Return Business class $4999. WAS $7500 SAVE $2500

http://i59.tinypic.com/20igrjs.jpg

cavemanzk
8th May 2015, 23:32
BNE/DUD/BNE for only $336 return inc 23kgs checked for most of ski season from late July to mid Sep.

DUD is an struggling International route, in fact its lost most of its NZ/VA flights to ZQN. Hence the sale fare.

DUD is an hole of an airport that is in an paddock 30 minutes south of Dunedin City. It's an 2-3hour wintry drive to Queenstown, hardly an premium route.

BNEA320
9th May 2015, 00:55
yep DUD is nothing special(it is closest int port to ZQN), but point is loads are awful on many routes & so yield managers do what they all seem to do, dump seats, which leads other to do same. Vicious circle.

BNEA320
9th May 2015, 00:59
1a sound asleep

no such thing as one bus class fare. QF probably has 1/2 dozen, with a huge range of prices.

Cheapest is probably a companion fare or has lots of restrictions, like dates can be used, change fees etc.

Dearest, is use wherever you like, with virtually no restrictions.

BNEA320
11th May 2015, 03:17
more seats just dumped for departures from 12JAN from BNE & SYD but not MEL this time.

It continues