PDA

View Full Version : Flying clubs around London

plerbl
23rd Mar 2015, 18:27
Hi guys,

There is an old thread but I was looking for an update on this.
Anyone know a good flying club near London? [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-42108.html)

I'm a 24y old guy from across the channel. I just moved to London, and I recently got my EASA PPL licence in the US.

Any advice with regards to which flying club to join? My choice would be based on distance from London (using public transport ^^ ), cost of flying and social atmosphere in the club.

Bonus question: I'm planning to take ~3h of lessons to get used to the UK airspace ( as opposed to USA). Would it be worth wile to get an extra type-rating at the same time? (I have trained in PA28-161 so maybe get rated for PA28-181 or possibly to an Archer )

Best and thank you,

thing
23rd Mar 2015, 19:02
Can't comment on London clubs but you might as well get differences training on the Arrow, you will clobber retract and wobbly prop at the same time.

Jetblu
23rd Mar 2015, 19:26
I concur with what Thing said. You have PA28 experience so go for the Piper Arrow and kill two birds with one stone. ie Variable pitch prop and retractable undercarriage.

You can't go far wrong with Stapleford Flight Centre to fulfil all your requirements under one umbrella. Good luck. :ok:

Flying Lawyer
23rd Mar 2015, 23:04
My choice would be based on distance from London (using public transport), cost of flying and social atmosphere in the club.

The West London Aero Club (http://www.wlac.co.uk/wlac/) is a long established club (50+ years) with a good reputation and a friendly social atmosphere.
Probably the best clubhouse in the country.

Grass airfield (I believe the biggest in the UK) with 3 runways.
No home landing fees. *

Frequent trains from London to Maidenhead - journey time about 35 mins.
I think there may be buses to the airfield but it's just a short taxi ride - about 3 miles.

I have trained in PA28-161 so maybe get rated for PA28-181 or possibly to an Archer.They have all three.

I'm not a member but I've been there many times over the years as a guest and have always been impressed and enjoyed the experience.

* Watch out for that when comparing prices.
And also whether the prices quoted include VAT.

smarthawke
24th Mar 2015, 20:45
I might have misread something, but a PA28-181 is an Archer (PA28-161 = Warrior).

Flying Lawyer
24th Mar 2015, 23:14
You didn't.

Although plerbl said "maybe get rated for PA28-181 or possibly to an Archer" I assumed what he meant was 'possibly to an Arrow' because, as you say, a PA28-181 and an Archer are the same aircraft.

Either way, the WLAC fleet includes PA28-161 (Warrior), PA28-181 (Archer) and PA28 180R (Arrow).

Sir George Cayley
25th Mar 2015, 22:09
Oh, it's Flying Clubs around London.

Not flying clubs around London - which would be a bit silly! Snort:rolleyes:

SGC