PDA

View Full Version : "Ready for Test" certificate - is it really needed

xrayalpha
22nd Mar 2015, 15:43
Hi,

Our C42 microlight instructor holds a UK-CAA issued EASA SEP, and a UK microlight instructor's rating. He does not hold a NPPL.

He has been instructing for nine years on his light aircraft licence, which last year became an EASA SEP.

Usually, he revalidates his light aircraft licence by test.

But it seems that, with EASA, he now needs a Ready for Test certificate from a RTF or ATO before he can sit the test. So, since he does 4-500 hours a year on a C42, and an instructor flight test on microlights every two years, but does no light aircraft flying - does this mean he will have to do a "test"at an RTF or ATO, so they can issue a certificate so he can then do a TEST.

That would then mean TWO tests instead of one.

Help please. The CAA web site has lots of old stuff.

caa web page link: http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2701&pageid=15220

Pete O'Tewbe
22nd Mar 2015, 15:59
If he is "revalidating" the rating i.e. it has not lapsed, involvement of an ATO is not required, hence no need for the "ready for test" certificate. He can therefore present himself to a suitably qualified FE/CRE for a proficiency check.

In the link you provided, the "ready for test" certificate is required for renewals i.e. the rating has lapsed, where the applicant's refresher training requirements have to be assessed and fulfilled under the auspices of an ATO culminating in the issue of such a certificate prior to undertaking the proficiency check.

As an aside, the CAA's use of the term "ready for test" certificate in this context is, in my opinion, incorrect as tests refer to the demonstration of skills for the initial issue of a licence or a rating. It would be more correct for the CAA to refer to a "ready for check" certificate.

xrayalpha
22nd Mar 2015, 16:05
Thanks Pete,

Do you know what form he should fill out then for the examiner/CAA?

Or do they just, like with the NPPL, sign a revalidation page?

And is there a fee?

Pete O'Tewbe
22nd Mar 2015, 16:19
I am a rotary examiner so feel that I am on slightly shaky ground with regard to fixed-wing forms.

Nothwithstanding, I believe that a form SRG 1157 may be required for a revalidation where no action is required by the CAA.

You may hear mention of the forms SRG 1119B and SRG 1119C. These appear to be required for revalidations and renewals respectively only if the examiner is unable to sign the licence revalidation page. Under these circumstances, it seems an SRG 2199 may also be required.

I hope a more knowledgeable fixed-wing examiner may be able to confirm or rubbish the above.

Assuming that there is no impediment to the examiner signing the applicant's revalidation page, there is no fee due to the CAA as no licencing action is being carried out by the Authority.

Whopity
22nd Mar 2015, 16:26
It would be more correct for the CAA to refer to a "ready for check" certificate. Its actually called a "Course Completion Certificate" SRG 1119D (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1119Denabled.pdf) for which no training or "test" is mandated. Only the Certificate is required for the Proficiency Check to be completed for a Renewal, not a Revalidation.
Do you know what form he should fill out then for the examiner/CAA?
SRG1157 for a Class Rating Prof Check (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1157Issue05.pdf)
Or do they just, like with the NPPL, sign a revalidation page?
That is part of the processAnd is there a fee? That is up to the Examiner, most need to earn a living and/or pay their overheads, £80-£100 is about the norm

Level Attitude
22nd Mar 2015, 20:50
Our C42 microlight instructor holds a UK-CAA issued EASA SEP, and a UK microlight instructor's rating. He does not hold a NPPL.

He has been instructing for nine years on his light aircraft licence, which last year became an EASA SEP.You have used poor terminology.
(What was his previously held "light aircraft licence"?)

"UK-CAA issued EASA SEP"
I assume you mean a UK-CAA issued EASA PPL (valid for life) on which there is an SEP Rating (valid for 2 years).

CAA Website – EASA PPL

An EASA PPL cannot contain national ratings such as SLMG, SSEA, Microlight class ratings, Microlight (Assistant) Flying Instructor ratings or IMC ratings. In order to have national ratings, the pilot must also have either a full national UK PPL or an NPPL, as appropriate for the rating desired. However, the UK Air Navigation Order allows microlights to be flown by EASA PPL or LAPL holders with a valid SEP(land) rating providing that suitable differences training is signed in the holder's log book by a suitable instructor.Provided certain requirements are met, the UK CAA gives SEP Rating holders the privilege to fly Microlights.

However, to Instruct on Microlights a valid Microlight Instructor Rating is required. From the above it seems these cannot be added on to an EASA PPL. What is your 'Instructor's Microlight Instructor Rating attached to? Do they also hold a UK PPL?

- - - - -
Prior to expiry an SEP Rating can be Revalidated anytime by Proficiency Check with an Examiner. If within 3 months of expiry then 'new' Rating will be valid for two years from end of month of 'old' Rating expiry date (rather than end of month Check was passed in).

After expiry, an SEP Rating can be Renewed by attending an ATO/RF to assess any training needs, receiving confirmation that any training deemed necessary has been completed and then passing a Proficiency Check with an Examiner.

A lot of (most?) schools will have an Examiner working with/for them and it could be that someone just takes the Check and, if they pass, then the 'Course Completion Certificate' gets signed then - if they fail then the flight becomes a training flight and included in the 'training required' element.

Currently hours flown in a Microlight do not count towards the requirements to Revalidate an SEP "by Experience" but I understand EASA has been requested to consider any flight in a single engine 3-axis aircraft to count.

So it may be that, in the future, your Instructor will not have to take a Proficiency Check in an SEP again.

Whopity
23rd Mar 2015, 08:52
However, to Instruct on Microlights a valid Microlight Instructor Rating is required. From the above it seems these cannot be added on to an EASA PPL. What is your 'Instructor's Microlight Instructor Rating attached to? Do they also hold a UK PPL? I suspect not, as Microlight Instructor ratings were no different to a UK Instructor rating, they just contained a "limitation" and may well have been transferred to an EASA licence. Nothing would surprise me.