pzu
21st Mar 2015, 17:55
Any suggestions for routine/general housekeeping on an iMac :confused:

Thanks in advance

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

mixture
21st Mar 2015, 18:12
pzu,

Polish the screen with a lint-free cloth and shake the food remnants from the crevices on your keyboard, if you want some extra fun, get yourself a can of compressed air from an electronics shop... just either make double sure its an invertible can or keep an eye on yourself and don't invert a non-invertible can. :cool:

Are there any specific issues that lead you to the conclusion you need to do some housekeeping or just the general desire to do something ?

Strictly speaking, as Apple OS X is a BSD derivative, you don’t really need to do housekeeping per-se (i.e you don't need to worry about stuff like defragging or bloated registries like you would on a Windows box).

However there are a few things you should do once in a while :

(1) Make sure your house is in order … i.e. make sure your backups are running as you expect them to, make sure all your software is up to date (i.e. run all system and software updates in the App Store, update all non-App Store apps such as Adobe and Web Browsers, update browser plugins such as Flash)

(2) Go into Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility, select your disk drive, and choose “repair disk permissions” under the “first aid” tab.

(3) If you’re the type who’s in the habit of shutting down or sleeping their machine at night (or you’re using a laptop), then you can run the manually run the periodic maintenance scripts :
- Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal
- Type “sudo periodic daily weekly monthly” (without the quote marks)
- The password is your password

(4) If you are using FileVault encryption and have not restarted or shutdown in a while (i.e. only sleep), then shutdown or restart your Mac. This will enable the system to reclaim unused space previously used by FileVault.

ExXB
21st Mar 2015, 18:23
As an alternate to (3), shut down your Mac and restart holding down the shift key. the iMac will boot into safe mode and do all the maintanence scripts. Reboot without the shift key following this.

Mac the Knife
22nd Mar 2015, 10:21
And don't forget your backups!

Easiest for Mac owners is to buy a Time Capsule or Airport Time Capsule'

Yes, they're a bit expensive but what price peace of mind?

Mac

;)

(you can of course use any good USB external drive)

jimjim1
24th Mar 2015, 08:19
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/moan-zone/1967d1074861717-men-women-explained-gearslut-imac.jpg