PDA

View Full Version : Only Flying Fairey Gannet Left in the World Finds Home in Western Wisconsin

India Four Two
20th Mar 2015, 20:03
Nice report on Gannet T5 XT752:

Only Flying Fairey Gannet Left in the World Finds Home in Western Wisconsin | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul (http://kstp.com/article/stories/s3740698.shtml)

Kitbag
20th Mar 2015, 21:42
Good to see even if it is 1000s of miles away. Not too sure that the claim in the first paragraph about it being Britain's first nuclear bomber is true though. Don't think it was capable of lifting the first weapons.

India Four Two
20th Mar 2015, 22:04
Kitbag,

I thought the same thing. Presumably they are talking about nuclear depth bombs.

The Boss at my UAS was an ex-Shackleton captain. He used to say "Even a near miss would do!"

I might try to go to one of those shows, to see it. It was a feature of my teenage years, since I lived under one of the approaches at White Waltham.

Capot
20th Mar 2015, 23:26
In thinking of the size and weight of nuclear weapons, don't forget that Britain's Royal Artillery - among others - had 8" Howitzers that fired a tactical nuclear shell, in about the same period. I cannot remember what it weighed, but sure as hell it was only 8" diameter.

The 5.5" shells of the 3 5.5s I was in charge of weighed 80lbs (and could be delivered over 18,000 yards range), but the nuclear shell may have had a higher weight per unit of volume.

In any case, I'm sure a Gannet could have carried one, although in a self-immolating mission.

CNH
20th Mar 2015, 23:49
"The first British plane with nuclear capabilities flew during The Cold War; it’s called the Fairey Gannet and was used to fight the Russians."

In one word: bollocks.

ICT_SLB
21st Mar 2015, 04:14
There used to be a "Depth Bomb, Nuclear" on display at Priddy's Hard (before it got reworked and downgraded to "Explosion!"). It was not particularly large and could have been easily carried in a Gannet.

Kitbag
21st Mar 2015, 17:18
Blue Danube was the first deployed weapon; at 24 ft long it had to wait until the V bombers arrived.

Gannet may have had the capability of carrying NDBs, but it was nowhere near the first as these weapons weren't deployed until the late 50's, early 60's.

gileraguy
21st Mar 2015, 19:54
Magnificent thread drift!

Don't spoil the magnificent achievement and passion of this guy with negativity and pedantry, or are you so insecure hat you must demonstrate your inferiority complex at every opportunity?

Kitbag
21st Mar 2015, 21:54
My hat is secure thank you, and in no way did I wish to denigrate the achievement of the team responsible for the Gannet in the US.

Let it end

India Four Two
22nd Mar 2015, 03:30
Back to the Gannet, XT 752's home page:

XT752 - The Worlds Last Flying T5 Fairey Gannet (http://faireygannetxt752.com/)

The News page is interesting - particularly the information about stolen spares in the UK.

chevvron
22nd Mar 2015, 13:34
It's the unique noise they made. My parent's home in Chesham, Bucks was frequently overflown by test flights out of White Waltham; you could hear them coming several minutes before they came into view.

barit1
23rd Mar 2015, 01:50
When GE and (i believe) Pratt were exploring open-rotor fans about 30 years ago, they leased a Gannet - maybe this one - the obtain some baseline noise data.

The engineer's complaint: "You heard it coming half-a-galaxy away!" :eek:

ICT_SLB
23rd Mar 2015, 04:19
It was Boeing that leased a Gannet to investigate contra-props and their efficiency. According to a Boeing Advanced Design Engineer I talked to, they had to stop flying when they ran out of useable tyres!

India Four Two
23rd Mar 2015, 04:44
The engineer's complaint: "You heard it coming half-a-galaxy away!"

Good job he never heard the Rotodyne, which was being tested at White Waltham at the same time as the Gannets. Staggeringly noisy due to the tip-jets. It never would have been acceptable for city centre use.

John Eacott
23rd Mar 2015, 06:01
In thinking of the size and weight of nuclear weapons, don't forget that Britain's Royal Artillery - among others - had 8" Howitzers that fired a tactical nuclear shell, in about the same period. I cannot remember what it weighed, but sure as hell it was only 8" diameter.

The 5.5" shells of the 3 5.5s I was in charge of weighed 80lbs (and could be delivered over 18,000 yards range), but the nuclear shell may have had a higher weight per unit of volume.

In any case, I'm sure a Gannet could have carried one, although in a self-immolating mission.

The NDB (nuclear depth bomb) was known as the 600lb bomb, for obvious reasons.

If you think the Gannet was on a "self immolating mission", think how we felt in the Sea King/Wessex/Wasp :ooh:

http://www.dawlish.com/content/27/Royal-Navy-Wasp_Helicopter-25776.jpg

I did a night trip in the back of Gannet XL500 off the Ark. I reckon it was the only navy FW that slowed down off the end of the cat :p

joy ride
23rd Mar 2015, 07:57
Thanks for that news report IFT, but shame they did not allow us to hear its sound. Having never heard one in the flesh I can imagine a trip over to Wisconsin sometime!

RedhillPhil
23rd Mar 2015, 22:47
I remember reading a F.A.A. pilot's recollections of flying the Gannet. He described it as the finest converter of Avcat to noise ever built.

India Four Two
23rd Mar 2015, 23:42
If you think the Gannet was on a "self immolating mission", think how we felt in the Sea King/Wessex/Wasp :ooh:

Nice picture, John.

I'm wondering if you had an emergency release button or if that was strictly verboten!

India Four Two
23rd Mar 2015, 23:46
I've just remembered a very good article about a night-time double-engine failure in a Gannet. That would grab your attention. :eek:

See here:Published Articles (http://www.aeroclocks.com/Catalog_pages/Published.htm)

Martin the Martian
27th Mar 2015, 10:32
The Gannet used for prop trials in the US was AEW.3 XL482. It is now living in retirement at the Pima Air Museum.

And don't forget that there is an active Gannet restoration to flight project ongoing at St. Athan:

Horizon Aircraft Services - Home (http://www.horizonaircraft.co.uk/)

Wander00
27th Mar 2015, 11:52
The guys out of the Gannet night - later on in the late 60s Lofty Nash was my flight commander on 360. Lovely guy, sadly now gone I believe

PAXboy
27th Mar 2015, 12:37
I do like how, in his enthusiasm, Odone says;
"She's quite unique," Pilot Harry Odone said. "Out of all of them, she's the granddaddy. She's the longest serving Gannet in the world. Quite an amazing article to have. I'm very proud of her."

Wageslave
27th Mar 2015, 16:50
Well, he says she's "quite unique" too. :ugh:

He's obviously not a man with much ability in language.

PPRuNeUser0139
29th Mar 2015, 12:49
Just checked the logbook.. did 4hr10 in XL 482 guesting with 849 over a v enjoyable 3 days away in Aalborg.:ok: in 1978...:eek:

markstott
13th Sep 2015, 13:18
This restoration is coming on well with relatively few jobs outstanding. The propellers are they main problem as we are waiting for their return form servicing and can't do the next phase of testing without an engine start. I gather the propellers are quite important.

markstott
2nd Jan 2016, 17:32
XL500 update
At the risk of repeating my last post, for those interested we hope to get Gannet XL500 flying this year. Wings are on (and fold) and all control rods refurbished and fitted. The major jobs are all done apart from the propeller overhaul which is, now, in progress with Deltair in Portsmouth.
There are still an inevitable number of small jobs to do but these are being completed in the next two months we hope.

We will keep you posted as progress is made. There should be updates on the Horizon aircraft website and also on facebook as we complete the task list. This has been a very long restoration!

BEagle
2nd Jan 2016, 19:44
Very best of luck! Having lived in Somerset in the '50s and '60s, the growl of the Gannet will certainly bring back memories to me.

It'd be great if the old girl is up and running in time for the FNHT Supporters' Day at VLN on 14th May, but I guess that'd be rather an optimistic hope?

Nige321
4th Jun 2020, 18:10
An old thread, I know...

So what did happen with Harry Odone and the Gannet??
Where is it now?

DaveReidUK
4th Jun 2020, 20:52
Reportedly hasn't flown for 4-5 years.

Nige321
5th Jun 2020, 09:02
Reportedly hasn't flown for 4-5 years.
As far as I can find out it was under restoration at StAthan, seems perhaps the money ran out and it's now sitting in the South Wales Aviation Museum...
Shame, it was getting close to flying...

DHfan
5th Jun 2020, 09:27
Isn't that a different Gannet?
I think I've read recently there's a problem with overhauling the propellers, I can't remember if it was ability, financial or both.

Jhieminga
5th Jun 2020, 09:32
The flyer (now probably ex-flyer) in the US is XT752, which was on the FAA register as N752XT. The one in Wales that has been under restoration to fly for some time now is XL500.