PDA

View Full Version : FAA tailwheel in europe

PrivateAviator
19th Mar 2015, 15:09
Hi guys

as per title,I need to get an FAA tailwheel rating in europe,since I'll be flying a N- registered plane across europe and can't use my national licence/rating.

does anyone know a CFI that could do it in europe?

many thanks

G

Pilot DAR
19th Mar 2015, 15:16
PM Genghis the Engineer, he might know something about this, as it could relate to England, anyway...

S-Works
19th Mar 2015, 15:20
Ifitaunboeing on here is an FAA Master CFI and an all round nice chap who I am sure would be able to help you out.

Ghengis is not an FAA CFI to my knowledge he is just a UK/EASA CRI.

Mark 1
19th Mar 2015, 15:53
The endorsement has to be signed by an FAA certified flight instructor under part 61.31
There are a few exemptions though:

If you have tailwheel experience prior to the 1991 cut-off then no endorsement is required.
If you should happen to have a tail-skid rather than tailwheel, you are also technically exempt.
I believe the FAA also occasionally grant authorisations if you have significant tailwheel experience under another licence authority. Contact a FSDO for advice on this.

Otherwise you need to find a CFI who is also tailwheel authorised. Maybe you could combine it with a BFR.

OpenCirrus619
19th Mar 2015, 18:10
I did an FAA BFR over here (SE England), a couple of years ago, with a chap called George Capon - since I did it in a Super Cub I also got the tailwheel signed off.

It was a couple of years ago, so I don't have current contact details - though, I believe, he may be on the AOPA UK Instructor Committee (so they may be able to put you in touch).

OC619

PrivateAviator
20th Mar 2015, 10:36
Thanks guys for the info.

anything around italy/france/austria/switzerland/southern germany?

G

9 lives
20th Mar 2015, 10:53
PM Piper Classique...

Genghis the Engineer
20th Mar 2015, 23:28
Ifitaunboeing on here is an FAA Master CFI and an all round nice chap who I am sure would be able to help you out.

Ghengis is not an FAA CFI to my knowledge he is just a UK/EASA CRI.

True enough, although I do do some instructing in a club where our CFI is also an FAA CFI. However, he and I have both been looking for a tailwheel trainer we can use recently, and not finding something suitable for our needs - so I still can't help.

Thanks for thinking of me anyhow.

G

piperboy84
21st Mar 2015, 01:36
I would have been happy to have done a TW endorsement in my Scottish based TW Maule had I not failed my FAA CFI checkride this past Monday
f&&k, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, MF, MF, MF

Next time

Sam Rutherford
21st Mar 2015, 17:31
Not sure this is helpful, but there's a guy in Belgium who does FAA tailwheel checkouts...

PBY
21st Mar 2015, 18:35
Hi, I could do it for you, as long as you have an airplane to do it on.

Mickey Kaye
22nd Mar 2015, 10:47
Lewis Kennington who lives in the Yorkshire area is able to do it

Home - NorthernCFI (http://northerncfi.moonfruit.com)

He does quite a lot of this sort of thing. He also doesn't charge any rip of prices either. He also more than happy to travel anywhere for little more than costs.