PDA

View Full Version : B737-800 Windows

Wander00
17th Mar 2015, 19:17
Hmm, hope this is an OK question. Flew back to France courtesy of Ryanair this afternoon - nice landing, thanks guys. however, question is this - I was in seat row 11 and was surprised to see a window next to seat 11E but not 11A. Is there really a different number of windows on one side from the other. If so, why?

longer ron
18th Mar 2015, 05:20
Cannot say for sure but knowing Ryanair - they probably squeezed an extra couple of rows of seats in and displaced something useful that used to be that position :)

rgds LR

Been Accounting
18th Mar 2015, 06:06
air conditioning riser?

DaveReidUK
18th Mar 2015, 08:17
air conditioning riser?Yes. All 737s from the -300 onwards have one or more missing windows where the A/C ducts go up to the cabin ceiling.

Readily seen on this -400 cutaway:

http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/media/civilaviation1949-2006cutaways/images/7818/boeing-737-400-cutaway.jpg

philbky
18th Mar 2015, 09:05
The ducts being on the port side only presumably indicates the air conditioning is driven from the port engine.

DaveReidUK
18th Mar 2015, 09:51
The ducts being on the port side only presumably indicates the air conditioning is driven from the port engine.I believe the aftmost duct shown has a corresponding one on the starboard side, where there is a single missing window on the -800 (two on the -400).

Groundloop
18th Mar 2015, 09:51
The ducts being on the port side only presumably indicates the air conditioning is driven from the port engine.

Not so - that was one of the factors that lead to the Kegworth crew shutting down the wrong engine. They smelt smoke on the flightdeck and thought it was only supplied by one engine - so shut that engine down. On later 737s, including the -400 (not covered in their conversion training), both engines supply the air conditioning packs.

Wander00
18th Mar 2015, 10:15
The volume and quality of information on this site never ceases to amaze me, from a post about a lost flyer leading to a mass of information on the mission and the crew to the response to my "simple" window question. Many thanks all.

W

Shaggy Sheep Driver
18th Mar 2015, 16:04
Many years ago I was on a Lufthansa 737 Istambul to Manchester via Frankfurt and had booked a window seat. It was on the RH side near the front - and there was no window! The disadvantage of a non-aisle seat without the compensating view! The flight on its first leg was lightly booked, so I moved seats.

On arrival at Frankfurt I took my ticket to the Lufthansa desk and asked for a window seat, as originally requested.

"This ticket is for a window seat".

"The seat enjoys no window. Please change it!"

They did and I got a 'proper' window seat for the second leg of the journey which was as well, for that leg was full so the 'move seat' option wasn't possible.

JW411
18th Mar 2015, 17:00
Does longer ron have anything else to add to the discussion?

evansb
18th Mar 2015, 19:00
http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b477/gumpjr_bucket/Qantas_Boeing_737-800_PER_Koch-1.jpg

longer ron
18th Mar 2015, 21:03
Does longer ron have anything else to add to the discussion?

Yes - I have flown Ryanair .... Once LOL :)

The a/c and crew were excellent :) - the website and company ethos was nightmarish ; )

With a 'special' car hire price that was costlier than self booking :)

But I booked this particular flight to Shannon because it was an excuse to fly over the old flying boat base and also visit by car :)

Closely followed by 2 fast boat trips to Skellig Michael :)

rgds LR