PDA

View Full Version : Plane down Lake Eyre North?

Desert Flower
17th Mar 2015, 08:24
Just heard a C208 up near YMRE (Marree) talking to another aircraft which was apparently around Lake Eyre North & saying there would be a helicopter heading out to him/them soon.

DF.

Ultralights
17th Mar 2015, 09:23
is there water in Lake Eyre North? if i remember from a recent satellite photo, it looked like some water from the Alice springs floods made it to the north lake? if so, could be a sticky muddy situation.

Desert Flower
17th Mar 2015, 10:19
I think there is, but not sure. Anyway, apparently there are/were two people stranded after aircraft problems. The first chopper that was sent out to rescue them broke down, & now there's another one on the way. A fun day was had by all by the sound of it - not!

DF.

onetrack
17th Mar 2015, 12:13
The ABC (Australia) has picked up on the story.

Five stranded at Lake Eyre after two aircraft incidents (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-17/five-stranded-at-sas-lake-eyre-after-two-aircraft-incidents/6327578)

Desert Flower
17th Mar 2015, 12:28
The good old lake strikes again! I can still vividly remember the day (29-7-90) the C210 (XAG) went into it, & all the angst the stupid pilot of it caused me.

DF.

gerry111
17th Mar 2015, 15:20
Please relax, DF.
Trev's got it all in control.
And it's no big deal from the news reports. :)

Old Akro
17th Mar 2015, 22:27
I see news reports say that an aircraft made an emergency landing then the Chopper sent to get everyone itself suffered a mechanical issue and couldn't take off. A third chopper from Moomba was then dispatched and the passengers returned to William Creek. .

The William Creek Facebook page has been posting spectacularly beautiful photos of the lake in recent weeks. I struggle to imagine Trevor on FB, so I'm guessing the photos are from the chief pilot. Its worth a look.

Trevor is quoted in one of the news reports saying the passengers had a " muddy evening and a sticky one". So I guess that part of the lake is in the awful dry, but goop that your feet sink into stage.

Don't know whose aircraft it is. I know Trev spends a lot of money to try and avoid these failures. Sounds like a memorable experience for those involved!

Desert Flower
17th Mar 2015, 22:34
Don't know whose aircraft it is.

I don't either, but with only 2 POB I doubt if it was one of Trev's. But I don't understand why there would have been 3 POB the chopper that was sent out to rescue them - seems a trifle strange?

DF.

onetrack
18th Mar 2015, 01:10
Here's a bit more info from the ABC. It looks like the landing was going O.K. until that nice hardpan turned into goop ... :{
Then it looks like they tried to turn around and fly out of it ... but it only got worse, of course ... :{

Chopper bogged in Lake Eyre during light plane rescue bid (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-18/chopper-bogged-in-lake-eyre-during-light-plane-rescue-bid/6328094?section=sa)

Desert Flower
18th Mar 2015, 02:24
I've only got one thing to say....:ugh:

DF.

Squawk7700
18th Mar 2015, 02:24
Mr Wright said it was by luck that there were no communication problems because search and rescue missions in the area were often hindered by failing satellite systems.

?

Desert Flower
18th Mar 2015, 03:13
Squawk - that sounds like typical trevspeak to me! ;)

DF.

Ultralights
18th Mar 2015, 06:01
satellite phone systems perhaps?

edit, ABC news has updated their story
http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/6329858-3x2-700x467.jpg

Just wait till the next tide and float it off... no problem..

Old Akro
18th Mar 2015, 06:25
I've only got one thing to say....

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Ultralights
18th Mar 2015, 06:35
any idea on the cause of the initial forced landing? if they had enough engine power to try to turn around before getting stuck
:hmm:

Squawk7700
18th Mar 2015, 06:43
Maybe it was a "forced" landing like the Aircan "forced" landing a couple of years back...

Desert Flower
18th Mar 2015, 08:05
Maybe it was "forced" like the PA-28 that put down on Lake Frome years ago because the pilot wanted to know what it felt like to land on a salt lake! :ugh:

DF.

roundsounds
18th Mar 2015, 08:32
I had a guy hire a C172 a few years ago experience "carburettor ice" and land on Lake Frome. It was going well until he tried turning around to take off after the "ice melted". Net result got stuck. Had to fly / drive LAME in with 8.00 tyres and many yards of carpet. Said aircraft flew out a week later.

Captain Nomad
18th Mar 2015, 09:12
Reminds me of a story I heard of an American converting his license some years ago. He was adamant and most concerned that he wanted his float plane endorsement carried over. When quizzed a little further it turns out he was wanting to visit all our 'inland lakes.' That was back when we were in a drought too...! :ooh:

Dangly Bits
18th Mar 2015, 16:22
So it wasn't one of Trev's?

Desert Flower
18th Mar 2015, 21:08
So it wasn't one of Trev's?

Sure doesn't look like anything he has in his fleet. Although knowing Trev, it's a wonder he hasn't decided to buy something like that!

DF.

Ultralights
18th Mar 2015, 22:45
according to sources on facebook, the aircraft is from a group from the sunshine coast in Qld, on a trip to Eyres rock. sunshine coast seaplanes or something... sounds like a fun trip.

Desert Flower
19th Mar 2015, 01:02
on a trip to Eyres rock

Will dills like that in the pack, it's a wonder they didn't try to land on Ayers Rock as well!

DF.

Stanwell
19th Mar 2015, 06:34
That was a file photo from some time back.

Perhaps DF can fill us in on that one.

Desert Flower
19th Mar 2015, 07:39

Are you sure about that?

DF.

Stanwell
19th Mar 2015, 07:55
Erm... no I'm not.
It's just that I felt I'd seen it before.
Anyway, you're the man on the spot - what's the latest?
I also wonder why 3 needed to go out in the LongRanger - were they going to give it a push-start?.

Desert Flower
19th Mar 2015, 08:10
Erm, no I'm not.
It's just that I felt I'd seen it before.
What do you know?

At this stage I know no more than anyone else. I tried ringing Trev a while ago but he's in YBDV. The photo of the Sea-Rey or whatever it is on the ABC website just says Supplied: Trevor Wright - so it may well be an old photo. However I've not seen it before.

DF.

Desert Flower
19th Mar 2015, 08:14
I also wonder how come 3 hopped into the LongRanger to pick them up.

If you go back to post #8 in this thread you will see that I wondered exactly the same thing. Maybe the other two went along to stickybeak & got more than they bargained for!
I also have to question the wisdom of the chopper coming down from Moomba so late at night to pick everyone up.

DF.

Stanwell
19th Mar 2015, 08:20
OK, thanks.

John Eacott
19th Mar 2015, 08:21

Perhaps DF can fill us in on that one.

Well, it's quite clearly shown in this overview of the LongRanger and the SeaRay:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/6328414-3x2-940x627.jpg

Stanwell
19th Mar 2015, 08:25
OK, thanks John.
I couldn't pick it as a SeaRey from that O/H pic. :ok:

Desert Flower
19th Mar 2015, 08:33
Well, it's quite clearly shown in this overview of the LongRanger and the SeaRay:

John I'll take your word for it, but quite frankly I don't know how anyone could make out what the aircraft is from that shot!

DF.

TWT
19th Mar 2015, 10:33
John probably has a very large computer monitor ;)

Desert Flower
19th Mar 2015, 10:54
John probably has a very large computer monitor

It must be absolutely huge then, because even on my desktop monitor which is much bigger than the laptop I still can't make it out!

DF.

Creampuff
19th Mar 2015, 11:01
There's a bleedin' close up picture of the stuck Searey in post 13 of this thread!

What more do you need, DF? :}

Desert Flower
19th Mar 2015, 11:30
There's a bleedin' close up picture of the stuck Searey in post 13 of this thread!

What more do you need, DF?

Creampuff, instead of jumping down my neck why don't you go back & read Stanwell's comment it post #25 where he said That was a file photo from some time back.

DF.

P.S. It has not been on any of the TV channels I watch.

gerry111
19th Mar 2015, 13:00
DF,

So what you're telling us all is that the amphibious aircraft currently stuck on Lake Eyre North isn't perhaps a Searey?

And that it is only a file photo from sometime before?

You quote: "P.S. It has not been on any of the TV channels I watch."

May I commend the ABC to you? :)

You quote: "I tried ringing Trev a while ago but he's in YBDV." My rather ancient Telstra mobile phone worked perfectly when I was at Birdsville about a year ago.

Stanwell
19th Mar 2015, 18:50
Umm...
Gentlemen, can someone who knows something please post and put us out of our misery.
Ta!

p.s. Thanks for your positive contribution, gerry. (no smiley)
At least DF has tried to give us a local's assessment - I should get smarter and just watch ABCTV. (yawn)

TWT
19th Mar 2015, 19:10
Maybe someone who has his number should try calling Trev again :)

Creampuff
19th Mar 2015, 20:24
That was a file photo from some time back.So how many Seareys do you reckon get stuck and photographed in the quagmire of a vast inland lake each year? In rough dozens. :}

I was only poking fun, not "jumping down" anyone's "neck", especially not DF's. If it came out the wrong way, DF, my apologies. :O

The 'file photos' of aircraft stuck out there - which I assume means photos taken 'before the incident the subject of this thread' - were of the carcass of a 210 from circa 2009(?), which is still out there, and of an Airvan from circa 2014(?) which was retrieved.

Valdiviano
19th Mar 2015, 22:14
The pic IS of the aircraft stuck.
The pilot, last year organised and led a circumnavigation of Australia (2 SeaRey, 1 Lake, 1 S Petrel) to raise money for "Make a Wish Foundation". He is very experienced. Bad luck.

Squawk7700
19th Mar 2015, 22:15
So how many Seareys do you reckon get stuck and photographed in the quagmire of a vast inland lake each year? In rough dozens. :}

I was only poking fun, not "jumping down" anyone's "neck", especially not DF's. If it came out the wrong way, DF, my apologies. :O

The 'file photos' of aircraft stuck out there - which I assume means photos taken 'before the incident the subject of this thread' - were of the carcass of a 210 from circa 2009(?), which is still out there, and of an Airvan from circa 2014(?) which was retrieved.

FYI the Airvan was flown out after a replacement engine was fitted. Presumably some tracks were worn by 4x4 to ensure the surface was suitable prior to takeoff.

Old Akro
19th Mar 2015, 23:26
FYI the Airvan was flown out after a replacement engine was fitted. Presumably some tracks were worn by 4x4 to ensure the surface was suitable prior to takeoff.

When I had dinner with the CP & her boss last year they said it was lifted out from the lake by chopper. Maybe it got a new engine at Willian Ck and was then flown to Horsham for full inspection.

I've spent quite a bit of time on salt lakes in that region, including recovering a few 4x4's that broke through the crust. Making tracks with a 4x4 prior to takeoff will make things worse not better. Applying weight to the surface brings up moisture and makes the crust weaker. You can stand on a salt lake and put weight repeatedly on one spot and have the surface turn from hard to quagmire.

None of the lakes in the region have been fully dry for years. Lake Gairdner has the thickest salt crust and the Dry Lakes Racing Assoc has cancelled its event for the last 2 years (might be 3). Things are looking optimistic for speed week this year (next week). Check out their photos on facebook.

First_Principal
19th Mar 2015, 23:38
You quote: "I tried ringing Trev a while ago but he's in YBDV." My rather ancient Telstra mobile phone worked perfectly when I was at Birdsville about a year ago.

Sorry for the non-sequitur here...

It's been my experience that the operability, reliability and effective range of cellphones is generally inversely proportional to their age :*

Perhaps Trev has the latest model?!

FP.

Creampuff
20th Mar 2015, 01:15
[The Airvan] was lifted out from the lake by chopper.Correct. :ok:

spinex
20th Mar 2015, 01:25
Well while we're bringing confusion to thread; shirley there must be some photos of that (airlift)

Creampuff
20th Mar 2015, 01:27
Only 'file photos'! ;)

The name is Porter
20th Mar 2015, 01:32
I was only poking fun, not "jumping down" anyone's "neck", especially not DF's. If it came out the wrong way, DF, my apologies.

How about some of you pansies harden up (not talking to you Creampuff)

Desert Flower
20th Mar 2015, 02:34
You quote: "P.S. It has not been on any of the TV channels I watch."

May I commend the ABC to you?

Well you can, but the only time I watch the ABC is at the very end of the evening news to catch the weather forecast & even then I miss it more often than not because I am watching another channel.

When I said I tried to ring Trev, I was talking about ringing him at YWMC on the landline. I no longer have his mobile number, & I didn't ask the person who answered the phone for it because I could barely understand what she was saying anyway & had to ask her to repeat what she said when she told me where he was.

DF.

Hempy
20th Mar 2015, 04:21
http://prod.static9.net.au/~/media/images/2015/march/18/180315_sacrash_001.ashx?w=603

http://prod.static9.net.au/~/media/images/2015/march/18/180315_sacrash_003.ashx?w=603

http://prod.static9.net.au/~/media/images/2015/march/18/180315_sacrash_s.ashx?w=376

Creampuff
20th Mar 2015, 04:40
http://i59.tinypic.com/11ad79i.jpg

20th Mar 2015, 06:59
Well you can, but the only time I watch the ABC is at the very end of the evening news to catch the weather forecast & even then I miss it more often than not because I am watching another channel.

Are PVRs old fashion?

Desert Flower
20th Mar 2015, 08:17
Are PVRs old fashion?

Don't have one, & have no intention of getting one. Even back in the days of VHS I rarely ever used it, & even then more often than not I never got around to watching something I had recorded.

DF.

gerry111
20th Mar 2015, 14:54
'Stanwell' wrote:

"At least DF has tried to give us a local's assessment - I should just get smarter and watch ABCTV. (yawn)"

Are you sure that DF still lives anywhere near L.C? And how does 'local' knowledge have anything to do with this?

There's a lot of confusion apparently. There's no cheap shot intended to DF as her good natured refuelling service was well appreciated and forever respected.

gerry111
20th Mar 2015, 15:00
'First_Principal'.

I completely agree with you!:)

Stanwell
20th Mar 2015, 18:54
Well, OK gerry,
The last time I flew over Lake Eyre was at FL 200.

It's just that I did spend a deal of time working in the outback.
Hence, I take an interest in what goes on over the border in SA.

Now, if you can help us out with some meaningful info, that would be good...

Creampuff
20th Mar 2015, 21:18
All of the "meaningful info" has already been posted or linked in this thread. To summarise:

A Searey got stuck in the quagmire at Lake Eyre.

A helicopter went to retrieve the POB the Searey.

After arrival on scene, the helicopter suffered problems that meant it could not depart.

Another helicopter retrieved the POB the Searey and the POB the first helicopter.

All POB lived happily ever after.

The Searey and first helicopter weren't the first and won't be the last aircraft to get stuck on Lake Eyre. Info on their retrieval will be posted if and when people with that info are inclined to post it.

Group hug,

Move on.

Stanwell
21st Mar 2015, 05:24
Aah, thanks for that, Creamy.
I can sleep at nights now.
I feel so comfortable just knowing that there are people like you around to tell us
all we need to know. :rolleyes:

p.s. NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG!
Know something about outback logistics, do you?
pps. I do take your point, made earlier, about how many SeaReys does one see resting on Lake Eyre.

Creampuff
21st Mar 2015, 06:29
Know something about outback logistics, do you?Quite a lot.

The Searey owner will be holed up at the nearby Best Western Motor Inn or Hilton, waiting for the lake to fill up. He's probably grabbed a hose and run that across to the lake, to help it fill more quickly.

Once the lake's a foot or so deep - that might take up to a couple of days - he can hitch a ride on a local ski boat or tinnie to get back to the aircraft. He could even buy an inflatable 'lilo' and paddle himself out.

Then he just water taxis to the local marina, tops off the tanks, picks up his gear from the hotel, and off he goes.

The logistics seem simple enough to me.

What more, exactly, are you expecting someone to know and post in this thread, that hasn't been posted already?

Desert Flower
21st Mar 2015, 06:39
Are you sure that DF still lives anywhere near L.C?

I can assure you I most certainly do. And I am still watching & listening! ;) Have been able to help Canberra out on a couple of occasions when someone has forgot to cancel SAR.

There's no cheap shot intended to DF as her good natured refuelling service was well appreciated and forever respected.

Thank you! :) I also spent 7 years as one half of the ARO duties. Being on the spot meant I could see any potential hazards (roos & emus) & deal with them immediately.

DF.

Stanwell
21st Mar 2015, 07:08
Got a chuckle out of that, Creamy.

DF,
Thanks. Keep us posted. :ok:

Pinky the pilot
21st Mar 2015, 10:21
Being on the spot meant I could see any potential hazards (roos & emus) & deal with them immediately.

Ah yes, DF. I believe you used to apply ANO rule 22-250, if I remember correctly!:ooh::}

Actually, didn't I once recommend ANO rule 250-303?:confused::E

gerry111
22nd Mar 2015, 09:53
The second hand carpet hangar at YSBK possibly does have a GA significance...
Perhaps buy a few truck loads and make an artificial RWY on Lake Eyre for the Searey? :p

Desert Flower
22nd Mar 2015, 10:40
The second hand carpet hangar at YSBK possibly does have a GA significance...
Perhaps buy a few truck loads and make an artificial RWY on Lake Eyre for the Searey?

I have a feeling that it would end up the same as what happened on one of the stations up north years ago who used old conveyor belting to make an artificial runway! Although the SeaRey's prop is up high, unlike a PA-28.

DF.

Ultralights
22nd Mar 2015, 11:42
seams like a recovery attempt of the said Searay aircraft failed, aircraft has been destroyed and is set to become yet another salt encrusted island.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10172847_802560979827902_7381422967765940491_n.jpg?oh=e8e833 c8ecaf934c82439456cf98f0e4&oe=55B3DF22&__gda__=1437638472_197f3548d7d19212de1442a1e5b48622

Hi everyone. First of all I'm fine and back at William Creek. Just to let you know the recovery of XWW didn't go to plan. The helicopter had to let it go after it was flying out of control after the initial 5 miles in the sling. As such it landed back in the lake and was that badly damaged on impact and it's now a write off. I have recovered what I can from the site. Will update more pics soon. David

Desert Flower
22nd Mar 2015, 11:49
OMG - what a mess!

DF.

Ultralights
22nd Mar 2015, 12:09
now to just find a way to get out there and get a nice rotax spare engine! opps, am i thinking out aloud again?

Hempy
22nd Mar 2015, 12:16
Would love to have a read of the insurance claim..:ouch::eek:

Ultralights
23rd Mar 2015, 08:25
what if it was the insurance company effecting the recovery?

ForkTailedDrKiller
23rd Mar 2015, 12:48
Looks like a bug that got swatted! :O

Desert Flower
24th Mar 2015, 02:59
The helicopter had to let it go after it was flying out of control after the initial 5 miles in the sling.

Sounds like it wasn't set up properly. It requires a very special preparation, like spoilers on the wings etc, so that the aircraft does not 'fly' while being slung, as well as slinging to keep it in line with the airflow and stop it spinning in the rotor wash. Wonder whose chopper it was?

DF.

spinex
24th Mar 2015, 08:08
No spoilers visible here; real shame.
http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/Carling113/eyre9_zpsdn7sengh.jpg

fencehopper
24th Mar 2015, 10:27
Try slinging it by the tail

Desert Flower
24th Mar 2015, 10:52
No spoilers visible here; real shame.

Whose chopper is it?

DF.

Obidiah
25th Mar 2015, 03:14
Blind man on a galloping horse could've seen that coming. Fling wing pilots not the ideal person to entrust a fix wing sling recovery.;)

Pinky the pilot
25th Mar 2015, 03:39
Just before I started with Douglas Airways in PNG one of the Pilots had a mishap at a very steep strip in the Goilalas (Erume) which resulted in the aircraft, a Bongo van,:ugh: sliding backwards off the strip into a ditch.:eek:

It was eventually retrieved back to Port Moresby at the end of a sling by Helicopter and as I seem to remember it was 'towed' backwards!

Have a vague idea I have a photo of it arriving back at Moresby. I'll have a look in due course.

Stanwell
25th Mar 2015, 03:57
Seems that recovery wasn't well thought out. (Ahem)
After the red faces have paled a bit, it'll be interesting to hear what went on.

Pinky,
Who would go to the trouble and expense of recovering a Bongo van?
A number of people found out that they were best left at the bottom of the nearest convenient ditch.

Pinky the pilot
27th Mar 2015, 03:55
Who would go to the trouble and expense of recovering a Bongo van?
A number of people found out that they were best left at the bottom of the nearest convenient ditch.

Stanwell; The Bongo van was a 300hp model with a fairly low TTAF. Also, from memory, it wasn't actually owned by Douglas Airways but by Dennis Douglas himself! He 'cross hired' it to the company.....sort of.:hmm:

Stanwell
27th Mar 2015, 04:08
OK, thanks Pinky.
300hp in a Bongo van? :D

Aussie Bob
10th Apr 2015, 08:32
Now to become another monument it seems ....
Can't help but feel sorry for the owner.

ABC News (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-10/lake-eyre-plane-crash-resuce-fails/6380664)

Desert Flower
10th Apr 2015, 09:08
Aha, so the truth comes out - it wasn't a FORCED landing at all!

DF.

Ultralights
10th Apr 2015, 11:23
the latest.

Bogged plane at Lake Eyre a monument to bad day in the outback - ABC Rural (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-10/lake-eyre-plane-crash-resuce-fails/6380664)

call it a comedy of misfortune, i call it a comedy of errors.

Desert Flower
10th Apr 2015, 12:32
call it a comedy of misfortune, i call it a comedy of errors.

Exactly!

DF.

TWT
10th Apr 2015, 12:51
Leave nothing but footprints ? Is there any onus on the owner to remove the carcass of the aircraft from the lake ?

Desert Flower
10th Apr 2015, 13:10
Leave nothing but footprints ? Is there any onus on the owner to remove the carcass of the aircraft from the lake ?

I doubt it. The hull of the one that crashed there back in 1994 was just left there to rot.

DF.

sagy34
10th Apr 2015, 13:29
Sometimes (nearly always), these things are best left to professionals:ugh:

onetrack
10th Apr 2015, 13:53
ABC Rural News has done a pretty good interview with the Searey owner and he's thoroughly explained the whole exercise.
The part I find difficult to understand, is why anyone would choose to land for a refuelling, in the middle of an Australian Outback salt lake!
These lakes are treacherous in the extreme, and it's rare to find one that has solid ground under the salt.

Lake Eyre plane crash rescue fails (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-10/lake-eyre-plane-crash-resuce-fails/6380664)

TWT
10th Apr 2015, 13:54
Third link to the exact same article within the space of 8 posts.

havick
11th Apr 2015, 10:11
If you go back to post #8 in this thread you will see that I wondered exactly the same thing. Maybe the other two went along to stickybeak & got more than they bargained for!
I also have to question the wisdom of the chopper coming down from Moomba so late at night to pick everyone up.

DF.

Perhaps because the helicopter that came from Moomba is a dedicated night retrieval machine, NVG equipped with trained crew for said task.

Stanwell
11th Apr 2015, 18:35
The ABC report stated that the helo for the sling-job came down from Kununurra.
That's an awful long way to come..
Nothing closer available?

Old Akro
11th Apr 2015, 22:51
why anyone would choose to land for a refuelling, in the middle of an Australian Outback salt lake!

Sanitised version for the insurance company? there are a lot of airstrips around there. Coober Pedy, Oodnadatta, William Creek, plus numerous station strips including Old Peake which may be very close.

Desert Flower
12th Apr 2015, 04:23
there are a lot of airstrips around there. Coober Pedy, Oodnadatta, William Creek,

Old Akro, if you read the article again you will see where it says they were heading for William Creek, but wasn't sure if he had enough fuel to make it. Even so, I would have thought that there would be a nice stretch of open road nearby which would have been preferable. Unless a road train came along that is! ;)

DF.

rutan around
12th Apr 2015, 10:43
In the ABC interview we learned that the pilot landed well out from the shore.Unfortunately he must not have been aware that salt lakes although they look smooth and lovely and hard in the middle actually dry from the shore and the last place to become hard is the deep middle area. Too many pilots have learned this lesson the hard way. There are hundreds of dry salt lakes scattered across inland Australia. If you are forced to land on one and don't have first hand information about the hardness of the surface land as near as you can to the shore where the shallow mud dries first.

gerry111
12th Apr 2015, 17:02
Goodness, D.F!

If Trev gets in first, there'll be a B Double truck stop across the road from the pub at William Creek! :eek:

Old Akro
13th Apr 2015, 02:35
Old Akro, if you read the article again you will see where it says they were heading for William Creek

DF, you are correct as usual ;)

But on track from Innaminks there is a very, very nice strip at Mungeranie which is about halfway along the 210 nm leg from Innaminka and another station strip on track about halfway between Mungeranie & lake Eyre North. And it looks like there is one at Kulamarina Station about 35nm East of Lake Eyre North. And it looks like there is one adjacent to a well head a few nm North of Lake Eyre North.

I've done many flights in that genera area and the number of strips seemingly in the middle of nowhere always surprises me.

Pinky the pilot
13th Apr 2015, 03:17
I've done many flights in that genera area and the number of strips seemingly in the middle of nowhere always surprises me

My first (real) job after gaining my CPL was flying a C206 based in Moomba back in the late 1980s. I was mainly flying equipment and personnel out to and back from Drilling rigs scattered all over the Cooper Basin.

If there was no established airstrip within about 15 minutes drive from the rig they simply dozed and graded a strip nearby. As a consequence there are many strips scattered over the Cooper basin. I still have somewhere in my filing cabinet a list and co-ordinates of quite a few of these rig strips.

I remember once arriving in the circuit area of a brand new strip next to a drilling rig and having to hold for about 10 minutes whilst the grader finished the strip off. It was with a certain amount of amusement that whilst orbiting overhead I noticed an old strip in the adjacent claypan just over the nearby sand ridge. :D

There were a few salt lakes nearby, one of which from memory had the somewhat amusing name of 'Lake Koolkooltinnie.':D

gerry111
13th Apr 2015, 10:47
I'd been summonsed to the Paupers' Court, Clinton.. :sad:

Ultralights
29th May 2015, 07:46
Finally got it done right... remove wing skins to reduce lift?

sadly roads now closed due rain...

https://scontent-lax1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/11295571_1010627945627883_395552304058832059_n.jpg?oh=afb61c 03e94db3c79231c6e032631dd5&oe=55F8091B

https://scontent-lax1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10325637_1010390805651597_4972061417196691228_n.jpg?oh=49a55 a50fef4b8e105313af98b8ffa92&oe=55EED7AD

https://scontent-lax1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11073466_1010390778984933_7120196168787605142_n.jpg?oh=e437f cab5720eee1b9c0e080d4c69483&oe=55FEFE10

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11070539_1010390498984961_7959844834624698291_n.jpg?oh=c46dd 00e7763cf08119785ab9df24dc4&oe=55F6CC97&__gda__=1441980448_bc6bf1e595ab1124372d6c9a6fa3a80e

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11229414_1010390735651604_1640603604036666843_n.jpg?oh=c642b 007f95eb9193710eae415772159&oe=55C246A9&__gda__=1443201936_b4959e1d175321a54c79a6771c5c6ebf

30th May 2015, 02:30
they simply dozed and graded a strip nearby
Things improved a lot from early on then.

gerry111
1st Jun 2015, 13:21
So is the owner of SeaRey XWW planning to rebuild the aircraft?

Jabawocky
2nd Jun 2015, 01:48
Yes

and a few more characters….

Stanwell
2nd Jun 2015, 15:05
Umm, jack up the builder's plate and slide another airframe under?