PDA

View Full Version : Sygic mapping and Nav for Android

Cameronian
16th Mar 2015, 16:26
Has anybody tried Sygic mapping and navigation for Android and feel disposed to comment upon it, please?

bingofuel had nice things to say about Navmii on another thread and it would be very interesting to know more about it but the idea of Sygic, and needing nothing more than the GPS signal, seems attractive.

papabravowhiskey
16th Mar 2015, 19:40
I bought it to run on a Nexus 5 to replace a stand-alone Garmin GPS that bricked itself. I have used it frequently and it works well. Do not use it on a phone that only has a small amount of RAM - as with Navfree, it will tend to crash frequently on phones that have less than 1GB of RAM. Maps seem to be upgraded annually or thereabouts. Haven't had any real issues with it that I haven't also had with stand-alone GPSs. I went for the worldwide maps version. Overall, it's one less separate electronic item to cart around.

PBW

Cameronian
17th Mar 2015, 01:31
Thanks for that, papabravowhiskey (you've no idea how much it pains me, being a Scot, to put that "e" in your name!!). Which of the "bits" for Sygic did you end up installing on your Nexus and did you make the right choices, now that you have the benefit of hindsight? Navmii gets good press too - what do you think?

papabravowhiskey
17th Mar 2015, 12:42
There is an Irish connection hence the "e" ...

I went for just the basic with world maps. I haven't bothered with real-time traffic info or real-time cameras because I'm a skinflint and don't use mobile data. I was given HUD free, but don't use it.

PBW

Cameronian
23rd Mar 2015, 11:35
Well, I've installed it and it seems to work. I've got the benefit (?) of the premium version for a few days but I don't expect to use it in earnest before that runs out. I don't need the app at all while on the island and I'm not planning to go anywhere else soon. I can always add things later if I want to. My mobile is a Galaxy Y because it's smaller for the pocket so that means the screen isn't huge. It will be interesting to see how it goes with my slowly ageing eyes (or perhaps my arms are just too short). I imagine that the installed POIs will disappear when the premium service lapses so I'll have to find/choose a source of POIs to replace them. Learning to work the app will probably take me a while if I'm not actually using it in anger for now.... Thank you for your help, papabravowhiskey.

boguing
24th Mar 2015, 00:13
I chose Sygic because it was the only gps mapping that offered offline nav when I bought it about three years ago. (My android pad is wifi only).

I really liked it, with a few niggles. In the early days an update occasionally meant a full re-install, and that always seemed to coincide with walking out to the car for a journey. A new interface was launched about six months ago, but I prefer the old one. (Where have I heard that before?).

The mapping accuracy and speed camera info has been faultless to the best of my knowledge. Traffic info also spot on when I've tethered it to a 'phone etc..

Several friends have it 'on my say so', and none have stopped talking to me.