PDA

View Full Version : EASA ATPL HELP!!

victorway
16th Mar 2015, 12:46
HELLO aviators
i have a Canadian cpl/ir, no atpl.
i joined a long distance easa atpl theory program, which is a greek school that has a branch in turkey Istanbul, i have finished all ground school requirements wrote all 14 SCHOOL exams for the recommendation letter.
now im set got my ground theory certificate and all required papers, unfortunately i cant write the official civil aviation exams in turkey because its a non-easa state, so i should write them in Greece. my question is
can i write the exams in any EASA member state, provided that the school agreed already?
is it possible, if yes, do i need a student visa to write the exams at the civil aviation center? provided that im not attending any learning center at the writing state? the reason im asking this, is because i have a valid schengen business visa
thank you very much for your time, your help will be highly appreciated.

MartinCh
16th Mar 2015, 15:25
you should be able to sit exams at another member state, if it's EASA ATO ground school AND the CAA where you'd sit exams, approves it.
I am unsure if there is hard rule wording in FCL/AMC/GM forcing the CAA/NAAs to be OK with it nowadays.

Be aware that the CAA where you sit the theory exams, is the licence issuing state (and thus you are meant to have or transfer medical records to them). Even if you do training/courses elsewhere and have foreign examiner do flight test (doable, needs some forms/briefing for FEs filed).

My ex-student (rotary) was told by TUrkish CAA to simply do the heli licence someplace EAsA and they would then rubberstamp 'convert' to Turkey's system. This was mainly due to no civvy heli school there, but assuming you want to fly for airlines in Turkey, the rubberstamping for Greek CPL, may be similar/same. Do check.

I myself attended UK GS course and sitting exams in Central Europe (convenience/cost)

victorway
16th Mar 2015, 16:05
@martinCH
thank you very much for your information.
im only planning on writing the atpl theory exams, no flying hours
im not looking to convert my license, i just want to get the atpl 14 exams done, mybe in the future when ill have more money.
do i need to contact the CCA of the EU myself or the school will do it?
since i dont want to write then in Greece?
im thinking of France or Czech republic.
thanks

Alex Whittingham
16th Mar 2015, 17:58
You need to check that you have completed an EASA approved groundschool. This may be the case if you are operating under Greek approvals because the Hellenic CAA are in EASA. If the groundschool was operated under Turkish approvals I'm afraid you may find you need to find another course because, as you say, Turkey are not in EASA and a Turkish approved ATO cannot sign you off for EASA exams. If your course is an EASA approved one you can sit your exams in any EASA state, the Greek ATO will simply be asked to confirm that you have satisfactorily completed the approved course.

As to visas, that depends on the State you choose I would think.

victorway
16th Mar 2015, 18:12
@Alex Whittingham
thank you very much for your infos and time.
yes its a Greek school and easa approved whic has a branch in istanbul, but i can not write the exams here in Istanbul since its not an easa state member.
the being said i don't want to write the exams in Greece, i want to go to France or Czech republic.
so since i can write the exams in any easa state, do i personally contact the state and since the dates or the school is responsible for it?

Alex Whittingham
16th Mar 2015, 22:08
Yes, you contact the state. The exam application process should include a point at which your EASA ATO confirms that you have completed an approved course. This may be a signature on paper or an electronic authorisation.

victorway
17th Mar 2015, 22:21
thank you very much for your info and help, i really appreciate it.