PDA

View Full Version : Who is the greatest contributer to world peace?

Fliegenmong
13th Mar 2015, 12:51
Well,it had to be done....

Ancient Mariner
13th Mar 2015, 12:57
If we forget the Vikings, and a few minor episodes, I'd say Norway. We are after all handing out the ever so popular and non-controversial Nobel Peace Prize.
Per

Lonewolf_50
13th Mar 2015, 12:59
Kim Jong Un :p

(Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer)

Tu.114
13th Mar 2015, 13:01
If You define contributing to peace as not being involved in war - probably Switzerland, Andorra, Surinam and the like.

If You do not agree with this definition and prefer "having and using the power to keep a lid on possibly dangerous situations", it looks rather different. History shows that multinational countries tended to blow up in various forms when an authoritarian government loosened its grip: Libya, Syria, Iraq, Yugoslavia, the USSR and others come to mind. So one needs to look at China and - with a fair bit of hesitation - Russia as well.

All a matter of perspective...

joy ride
13th Mar 2015, 13:15
If you mean which individual has saved our bacon, then Bertrand Russell is a worthy candidate.

Katamarino
13th Mar 2015, 13:41
I'd put in a supporting mention for the utility and food industries (gas, electricity, water etc). In much of the developed world things would go to pieces very quickly without these little comforts.

alisoncc
13th Mar 2015, 14:07
Not necessarily Who but What would be the greatest contributor to world peace. A decent plague that wipes out 75% of the worlds population would be a good start. Mankind needs wars to contain population growth. If it were possible to do that without having a war then peace would prevail.

Lonewolf_50
13th Mar 2015, 14:09
Not necessarily Who but What would be the greatest contributor to world peace. A decent plague that wipes out 75% of the worlds population would be a good start. Mankind needs wars to contain population growth. If it were possible to do that without having a war then peace would prevail. Simple answer to that without war.
Stop sending megatons of food to places that have vastly overpopulated the productive capacity of their land. :p (Heartless, to be sure, but it would act as a corrective factor without resort to war).

ChickenHouse
13th Mar 2015, 14:27
I am undecided between HIV and pestilence.

con-pilot
13th Mar 2015, 15:02
McDonalds.

:p

West Coast
13th Mar 2015, 15:20
Not Gertrude

rgbrock1
13th Mar 2015, 15:43
McDonald's, con-pilot? I'm lovin' it. :}

11Fan
13th Mar 2015, 15:45
Contestants to the Miss America Pageant?

They all seem to want that.

Capot
13th Mar 2015, 15:46
I think we can merge two threads here, and nominate Jeremy Clarkson.

tony draper
13th Mar 2015, 15:50
Sam Colt. :rolleyes:

RedhillPhil
13th Mar 2015, 15:53
J. Robert Oppenheimer.

OFSO
13th Mar 2015, 16:29
Tony Blair.

Fantome
13th Mar 2015, 16:33
The term 'world peace' is an oxymoron. Whether it is peace
between warring factions or
the personal peace of mind that evolves from mindfulness and tranquility, it is unattainable unless the fundamental precept is grasped that fighting for anything will always escalate man's aggressive impulses. Needless to say, this tension is rife right round the globe.

Bear in mind that mankind is not born this way. Fearfulness is learned. The response of the fearful is to presuppose that force and coercion must be applied.
All the great minds on this subject have, after examining the causes in exhaustive detail, ever been proponents of the peace that has its wellsprings in love, kindness and respect.

Yet to talk expectantly of some kind of utopia is to be utterly deluded. While the minds of the populace are constantly fed and filled with mindless trivia, there is no hope whatever of even a glimmer of a new age of enlightenment.

Octane
13th Mar 2015, 17:49
I don't understand the question. Please elaborate...

Una Due Tfc
13th Mar 2015, 18:03
Mikhail Kalashnikov

tony draper
13th Mar 2015, 18:41
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/Deaddogbay002/Peace_zps6uqvqkqv.gif (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/Deaddogbay/media/Deaddogbay002/Peace_zps6uqvqkqv.gif.html)

rh200
13th Mar 2015, 21:09
A beautiful and very prophetic picture in a sort of a way Tony.

Maybe that should posted around western societies a bit more as a reminder.

MTOW
13th Mar 2015, 21:22
Drapes' picture wouldn't work in Australia. The people it's directed at (who see themselves as our betters and far more intelligent than we) would see it and complain about those dreadful soldiers fouling the pristine mud with their boots and their blood - and their very presence.

Irony and subtlety is totally lost on such people.

Fantome
13th Mar 2015, 21:40
that's both a sad indictment and a sweeping generalisation , side-stepping the question posed
(also interpreting the painting posted by Drapes narrowly)

Maybe you have very cleverly made these comments to see who rises to the bait and accordingly say you have proven
your point

quoting MTOW from previous posts of his -

I read and can pass over most comments here,

Trying to get away from the name calling and blame game for a moment

rh200
14th Mar 2015, 02:02
The people it's directed at

I would suspect a serious percentage of those would say its a picture made by "warmongers" The very same who like to blame, capitalism, and the US for the worlds woes.

Instead of taking the time to criticize on the foundation of their moral superiority, maybe they should sit back and for once say,"could I be wrong" and what does it actually mean to be human. Maybe they would then gain a better less than Utopian view of human nature than they have, and hence stop blaming a few pieces of the jigsaw puzzle.

MTOW
14th Mar 2015, 02:17
I'm not sure what's outraged you about my comment. Fantome. What I tried to say is that, a bit like the worst possible thing you can say to an angry man (who should take a 'chill pill') is to take said chill pill, the people who should be most grateful to the soldiers who died to give them the great life they live today are all too often the very people who not only can't accept that, but even go so far as to deride and diminish the memory of the men and women who suffered or died to give them that great life.

It's human nature.

Edited to add: I'm putting in for the longest sentence of all time award for that first paragraph.

balsa model
14th Mar 2015, 02:59
Well.. if the worst war is a civil war, then I must propose:
Broadcast Television!
(Keeps them peasants on their couches. :hmm:)

Ascend Charlie
14th Mar 2015, 04:08
The greatest contributor to world peace is ....... BEER!

After a few beers, I start looking for a piece......

parabellum
14th Mar 2015, 04:21
The Romans!

Fliegenmong
14th Mar 2015, 07:04
"The Romans!..What did they ever do fer 'uus'"? :O

ORAC
14th Mar 2015, 07:37
"The Romans!..What did they ever do fer 'uus'"?

Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset.....

.....Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.

Tacitus

Fantome
14th Mar 2015, 10:39
I'm not sure what's outraged you about my comment. Fantome.

no Max . . . . not in the least outraged, enraged or engaged (in subjects that do your head in). I do hear you 5 by 5, now. What threw me a little was misreading that there was an inference that those across the wide brown land who are purblind and quite ignorant as to the social history of war, the cost , and then the fortuitous consequences of not being overrun, that these people can be counted significantly more than 'unrepresentative swill', (to quote Paul Keating , when angry , to the point of outrage.)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
14th Mar 2015, 10:45
http://8.thumbs.scribol.com/4/sites/default/files/images/http-inlinethumb54.webshots.com-20853-2509013820104181437S600x600Q85.jpg

Bet Ukraine wishes they still had them.

Fantome
14th Mar 2015, 11:03
“Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defence against a homicidal maniac. In our time political speech and writing are largely the defence of the indefensible. But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought. All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting. Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidarity to pure wind.

War against a foreign country only happens when the moneyed classes think they are going to profit from it. Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. (On the manipulation of language for political ends.)

We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men. If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act.”

George Orwell, 1984

ORAC
14th Mar 2015, 11:17
It is all very well to be "advanced" and "enlightened," to snigger at Colonel Blimp and proclaim your emancipation from all traditional loyalties, but a time comes when the sand of the desert is sodden red and what have I done for thee, England, my England?

As I was brought up in this tradition myself I can recognise it under strange disguises, and also sympathise with it, for even at its stupidest and most sentimental it is a comelier thing than the shallow self-righteousness of the left-wing intelligentsia.

George Orwell (From a review of Malcolm Muggeridge's "The Thirties", in New English Weekly (25 April 1940)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
14th Mar 2015, 12:12
Of course, if a foreign enemy were to rape 60,000 English girls, there might be some sort of action.
Maybe not even then, these days.

Fubaar
14th Mar 2015, 12:35
Of course, if a foreign enemy were to rape 60,000 English girls, there might be some sort of action.They've got away with doing that to 1400 English girls - in one small city - with damn near no reaction at all, except for the politically correct powers that be scrambling to cover their six and hope it goes away.

As it appears it has.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
14th Mar 2015, 12:43
Oh no it hasn't.

Police Cover-up of Child Sex Abuse in Sheffield 'Bigger Than Rotherham' (http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/03/13/police-cover-up-of-child-sex-abuse-in-sheffield-bigger-than-rotherham/)

victims-blamed-for-child-sex-abuse-as-oxford-council-chief-faces-calls-to-quit-over-exploitation-ring (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/)

Not-single-police-officer-disciplined-failure-investigate-Rochdale-sex-gangs-abused-hundreds-young-girls-over-six-years (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2992893/)

See also Derby Sex Gang, Bristol Sex Gang, Telford Sex Gang, etc, etc, etc.

The Chief Constable of Norfolk reckons it will be 60,000 when it's all uncovered

V2-OMG!
14th Mar 2015, 18:59
World peace? An oxymoron.

Gandhi tried it.
Martin Luther King tried it.
John Lennon tried it.

You know what happened to them.

Fantome
14th Mar 2015, 19:19
http://search-famous-quotations.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/mahatma-gandhi-quotes-1.jpg (http://successimg.com/gandhi-friendship-quotes/)

tony draper
14th Mar 2015, 21:50
I imagine the boots on the ground in Rotherham and other similar places will have been told in no uncertain terms not to annoy the ethnics lest their witch doctor tell em all not to vote for Mr Bloggs who sits on the Police Authority and also you will undoubtedly be accused of racism and your career will be down the tubes.
It's not all PC, when you can order a few thousand voters in one area who they must vote for you have real power.

racedo
15th Mar 2015, 00:30
Page 3 girls.