PDA

View Full Version : Best Pizza

Fliegenmong
13th Mar 2015, 11:03
Mrs Fliegs and I in a can't be bothered mood tonight, ordered Pizza in from a place that one of Jnr Fliegs friends' Mum suggested......Oh dear.......I think I have found the best Pizza ever!!!!.....

Three Kings Pizza | Gourmet Pizza | Order Online | Home Delivery | Dow (http://www.threekingspizza.com/#!menu/cwm7)

Gourmet Seafood....:D

And I suspect I will never try another one of their Pizzas!....that is just soooo good!

Hobo
13th Mar 2015, 11:23
For a few years I nightstopped regularly in various Italian cities when flying for a Big Airline based near Hounslow. The rule was, that in the local crew frequented restaurant, you couldn't order the local pizza, so you couldn't have a Neapolitana in Naples, a Genovais in Genoa, a Torino in Turin etc.

Fliegenmong
13th Mar 2015, 11:26
....I was going to ask why not, but clearly it was a local rule...so then why was it a local rule? It didn't have something to do with it not having baked beans as a topping I sincerely hope!! :eek:

Hobo
13th Mar 2015, 11:40
The very local places we ate at were much frequented by locals, real spit and sawdust places, and, I'll wager, much better Pizzas than on the Gold Coast, they were certainly better than UK ones, with No baked beans and no beetroot either...:E:E

SMT Member
13th Mar 2015, 11:59
Best pizza I ever had was at small mom & pop place in Bergamo. Bergamo in itself is pretty much off the beaten track, this place even more so. All their food was divine, and the pizza's were in a class of their own.

An antipasti, a pizza and 1/2 a red came to something like 15EUR.

Don't know the name of the place, but dump me in Bergamo and I'll find it in a flash.

Have tried the much-hyped Chicago pizza, wasn't impressed.

Fliegenmong
13th Mar 2015, 12:11
Ah....yeah I think I get what you nean now Hobo...my reference to Baked Beans (otherwise known as furballs from Satans own cat) come fom working in Pubs in England, in another lifetime, when serving otherwise rather lovely Lasagne & crisp salad, I would find frequently English folk asking 'Can I 'ave some beans wiff tat guv.?' :rolleyes:

Anyway tonights Pizza was something amazing, if you are a fan of 'Fruits De La Mer'..... and not so much traditional as rather 'fancy', but certainly amazingly good!

"and, I'll wager, much better Pizzas than on the Gold Coast"

You may be surprised Hobo, but there is a huge ex pat Italian community here, and the next suburb over is home to an amazing Italian bakery, cookies pastries, cakes, pizzas, but you're greeted in Italian upon entering, and treated with suspicion if you're not fluent...they get shut down from time to time due rats or whatever, but the significant local Italian populace keeps going back...as do we, locals in the know.....:ok:

joy ride
13th Mar 2015, 12:17
When I was on a band tour in then Yugoslavia in 1984 the open air pizzeria at Obladinski near Rovinj had the best pizzas I have had. It was more than just the pizza, it was set in trees right by the sea, gorgeous women everywhere and a great atmosphere.

darkroomsource
13th Mar 2015, 12:38
The delivery charge from 3-kings is a bit steep.
Is it that good?

cattletruck
13th Mar 2015, 12:42
I think I make the best pizzas, coz I know what's in'em ;).

One of the most interesting pizzas I've had was Japanese pizza made just for us by an ex Honolulu master chef. It was double layered and featured a piscatorial catch.

joy ride
13th Mar 2015, 12:48
We have a great Turkish shop near us with an in-store bakery. Fresh Burek 6 days a week: spinach, cheese and spices in folded over flat bread. Gorgeous when warm from the oven, but does not stay fresh for very long, so I keep some in the freezer for "Pizzafication": add a bit of sauce, cheese, mushrooms etc., and put under the grill for a few minutes; I just had pizzaficated Burek fro brekkies, far taster than any high street pizza shop!

I played a Christmas gig at the Agile Rabbit in Brixton Village Arcade, where there is also Franco Manca, both do great southern Italian style pizzas, about the best pizza in London IMO.

n5296s
13th Mar 2015, 12:54
Pizza Cresci, Cannes. Went there on the way back home from Naples/Napoli, and it was STILL the best.

LGW Vulture
13th Mar 2015, 12:58
For me, best pizzas ever can be found at John's in Greenwich Village and Grimaldi's under the Brooklyn Bridge - oh happy days! :)

13th Mar 2015, 13:06
Thought it was going to be a thread about which derivative is the best pizza, not where you can get it.

Answer, therefore, is Pizza Capricciosa, with an egg on top. Available in many establishments, some better than others.

MagnusP
13th Mar 2015, 13:08
Oddly enough, I find the simplest pizzas to be the best. Thin base, a scraping of sugo, some very fresh mozzarella, and a few rocket or basil leaves sprinkled over just before serving. MrsP makes them on a heavy ceramic pizza stone. The other one I now have every year on hols is in a restaurant in Lazise by Lake Garda. Walnut and gorgonzola. Fantastic!

kms901
13th Mar 2015, 13:08
Best pizza in the world ? Definitely from here:

Lo Scacciapensieri, Pietralunga - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g652043-d4056020-Reviews-Lo_Scacciapensieri-Pietralunga_Province_of_Perugia_Umbria.html)

My nephews say it is the best, so how can I argue !

Vercingetorix
13th Mar 2015, 14:05
In Varrazze, Liguria, Italy and also in Cafe Leona, Vigan, Philippines.

Yum,

joy ride
13th Mar 2015, 14:12
According to Pizza Franco Manca's web site pizza originated in Greece.
According to me pizza is always best when the ingredients are fresh and local, therefore wherever the best tomatoes, black olives and wheat grow the pizza will be best. To me that means the best are from around the Mediterranean.

Lonewolf_50
13th Mar 2015, 14:16
Pizza Vera
in Bella Napoli
pizza margherita

VPN AMERICAS - Vera Pizza Napoletana (http://americas.pizzanapoletana.org/)
These folks have the right idea. The closest to a no kidding Naples pizza I've had in the US lately is in San Antonio, Texas, at this place.
Dough Pizzeria (http://www.doughpizzeria.com/)

@ LGW VUlture: Grimaldi's isn't bad. :ok: I think they beat Lombardi's by about one RCH.
EDIT:
@ joy ride
According to the folks in Naples, Italy, they invented the Pizza Margherita as a dish to impress an Austrian empress ... which is the origin of pizza as we know it today. The tomatoes from the Campania region are a cut above most from other places. I think that adds to the distinctive flavor.

Hobo
13th Mar 2015, 14:42
You may be surprised Hobo, but there is a huge ex pat Italian community here,

No surprise fliegs I've spent a lot of time in Oz, all over, including a 4 month drive round the edge and up the middle, but mainly in SEQLD - although very little Gold Coast stuff. One of the delights of OZ, is the multicultural food.
there is a place in Sunshine Beach where the Italian cook/owner, sings Opera all evening - delightful, and good food too!:ok:

dazdaz1
13th Mar 2015, 16:48
I agree with mixture, an abomination to the pallet, and a rip off to the wallet. Basically it's cheese on toast (with add ons) on pastry. Give me an Indian take away any time.

Further, the pizza is food (originally) made by people in Italy who were not financial well off, and now we pay big bucks!! Same with pasta, added tomatoes and some minced beef and a few herbs, what a rip off? Or there again I might not be trendy. But I'm no mug when spending my money.

joy ride
13th Mar 2015, 16:56
Lonewolf, I had always been led to believe that pizza originated in Naples. I just looked at Franco Manca's site and they have changed it, and the little section about origins/history has gone, dammit! FM's owners are from southern Italy so their statement that pizza originated in ancient Greece would not appear to suffer from any possible bias caused by national pride! My guess is that simple local ingredients might have been put together in a pizzarish fashion way back in antiquity, and perhaps originated in multiple places at about the same time.

rgbrock1
13th Mar 2015, 17:00
Pepi's Pizza in New Haven in the Satanic state of Connecticut. Hands down the best Pizza in the North East, USA. New York notwithstanding. :ok:

beaufort1
13th Mar 2015, 17:13
I like the way the French do pizzas, nice thin crisp base, and my favourite has to be 'Saint Jacques', queen scallops, mussels, calamari, shrimp. :ok:

er340790
13th Mar 2015, 18:39
Wife's family are Italian and she has always maintained that the best pizza comes from NAPLES. Something to do with the way 'the super-fresh-a ingredients are put onto a super-thin-a base and cooked in about 90 seconds flat in a super-hot-a traditional pizza oven....'

'Yes dear, well my Safeway's frozen pizza takes 90 seconds in the microwave too!'

Who's the c**t?!! :E

hiflymk3
13th Mar 2015, 18:48
Fortes, (yes THAT family) in Hastings best pizzas I've ever had, authentic grub and very friendly. :)

izod tester
13th Mar 2015, 19:37
Since Naples was originally the Greek Neapolis - the new town which developed after the original Greek settlement at Cuma - it is entirely possible that Pizza originated in Greece and came to Italy via the Greek settlements there. I liked the Capricciosa prepared at Il Cerbero on the road between Arco Felice and Licola Mare. But most of the Pizza places in the area were great provided they used wood fired ovens.

Rossian
13th Mar 2015, 20:28
......depending on when you're talking about - the best pizzeria in that area was Sirena's in Arco Felice.

They also did "croquette" which were balls of mashed potato with a finger of mozzarella in the middle then rolled in egg and breadcrumbs before deep frying. Bite in and melty cheese oozed out of it - fantastic. Happy days.

The Ancient Mariner

cdtaylor_nats
14th Mar 2015, 00:28
They don't have the Scottish version - cheese and tomato on an absorbant base (red coloured cheddar mind none of that natural stuff) and deep fried

SOPS
14th Mar 2015, 00:53
Real Pizza, DSO Dubai....it's the best

421dog
14th Mar 2015, 03:08
Papa Del's party pleaser (kcmi) with everything.

It weighs 14 pounds and is like thick crust crack.

I agree, though, that the super thin wood fired real thing is pften really well done in France.

con-pilot
14th Mar 2015, 03:32
As we are discussing pizzas from all over the world, it is impossible to select the best.

However, if they are cooked in a wood fired oven, that pizza, no matter the toppings, are on the 'best' list.

But let me tell you something, some of the pizza places mentioned here, I'm writing down just in case. :ok:

AnAussieNut
14th Mar 2015, 03:57
Slightly off topic but this made me laugh.:ok:

Francis predicts he won't be pope for long, says he misses pizza.

Francis predicts he won't be pope for long, says he misses pizza - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/francis-predicts-he-wont-be-pope-for-long-says-he-misses-pizza/)

Cheers

Paul

Lonewolf_50
16th Mar 2015, 14:36
Pepi's Pizza in New Haven in the Satanic state of Connecticut. Hands down the best Pizza in the North East, USA. New York notwithstanding.
RG, been there, good Pizza, but not the best ever.

Since Naples was originally the Greek Neapolis - the new town which developed after the original Greek settlement at Cuma - it is entirely possible that Pizza originated in Greece and came to Italy via the Greek settlements there. I liked the Capricciosa prepared at Il Cerbero on the road between Arco Felice and Licola Mare. But most of the Pizza places in the area were great provided they used wood fired ovens.
Cerbero .... aah, the memories. Not the best pizza in Naples area, but as you say, pretty darned good. That road was an interesting drive, to say the least. (Via Domiziana aka SS 7?)

@ Rossian: yes indeed, fine pizza to be had there. Wow, how many years has it been since I was knocking about near Bella Napoli? Nearly Two Score?????

joy ride: could be.

joy ride
16th Mar 2015, 15:12
Something to be aware of: many high street pizza outlets, like (ahem) Pizza H(small wooden building)t now use "Analog Cheese TM". Google it if you like, avoid it like the plague!

I like a bit of Mature Cheddar on any pizza I make to give a punchier cheesiness. Sometimes I get it starting to brown nicely, then add more and cook it till just sweating, to get "raw" and "cooked" together!

chevvron
16th Mar 2015, 16:21
There's a pizzaria in the main square of Piano di Sorrento, about 2 miles west of Sorrento itself, which does a divine pizza. We'd hardly taken a sip of our wine before it was delivered to our table.
You can do pizza making courses there too www.golearnto.com

MadsDad
16th Mar 2015, 16:32
Just for Pizza lovers everywhere (and I am not one of them) a bit of news. Someone (from Padua, so Italian at least) has invented a vending machine that makes a pizza from scratch. In three minutes apparently. Upsetting the locals down in Naples it is:-

Dough! Vending machine that makes pizza from scratch angers Italian purists | Life and style | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/13/dough-vending-machine-pizza-italy-padua-engineer)

Seldomfitforpurpose
16th Mar 2015, 16:39
I remember being more than a bit drunk one night in the Embassy Suites in San Diego and ordered a room service large pizza as I was clearly very hungry!

When asked what toppings I foolishly said a bit of everything are received a large pizza with something like 20 different toppings on................unsurprisingly it was feckin awful :\

Pinky the pilot
17th Mar 2015, 04:37
A long time ago someone on these boards posted recipe for a pizza using Pita bread as the base.

I printed it off; still have it somewhere, and the Lady formerly known as Mrs Pinky tried making them from that recipe. She pronounced it far better than one bought from the local shop:ooh:, and still makes them on occasion.

bcgallacher
17th Mar 2015, 09:52
The only place I have ever seen a square pizza was in a place near the Tunis Hilton - they also served excellent crepes. How's that for a totally inconsequential post ?

Fliegenmong
17th Mar 2015, 11:23
I remember now I have made these more than once.....

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/cauliflower-pizza-crusts/

A bit of feckin' around but you can fashion a pizza base out of a Cauliflower....susbstitute rice even......and there;s a few cups of daily veggies right there! :ok:

Rossian
17th Mar 2015, 11:46
.....in this world that are "just right" and you don't want to bugger about with them. And pizza is one of those things. A cauliflower pizza base is just WRONG on so many counts it ain't true. A 14lb pizza mentioned above - why?? that's in the same obscene category as the "six pound fully loaded ham sandwich" shown here in the past.

The blessed Elizabieth David had it right a long time ago (I think she was quoting someone even earlier) "faites simple" ie take good ingredients, treat them with respect, don't mess with them and you'll end up with a sublime final product.

The Ancient Mariner

Fliegenmong
17th Mar 2015, 11:55
Meh.....you'd be surprised at a cauliflower pizza base.....as with using cauliflower as a rice substitute, a dead easy way of upping a lot of veggiie content, cover that base with your favourite toppings...or smother the 'rice' with a curry.....of course rice and flour are a lot cheaper than heads of cauliflower...and there is the mucking about prepping it...

meadowrun
17th Mar 2015, 12:39
Someone mentioned square pizza.
Little Caesars in the States with their square, deep-dish,wrapped in 3 1/2 ft. of bacon with bacon on top as well currently on offer.
Have not tried. Not in the States.

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/bigfrog104.com/files/2015/02/Bacon-Wrapped-Crust-Deep-Deep-Dish-Pizza-630x344.png