PDA

View Full Version : "Who is the biggest threat to world peace?"

Gertrude the Wombat
13th Mar 2015, 00:03
Not that many years ago pretty well anyone from most parts of the world would have unhesitatingly answered "the US of A".

Not quite such an easy question to answer, now, is it. Things change, don't they.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
13th Mar 2015, 00:05
Political Correctness.

rh200
13th Mar 2015, 00:46
Well I could say the USA, in sort of way it is, but at this immediate point in time, Obama.

So why could I say the USA, even though I am very pro Yank? Its simple, human nature is well understood on a mass scale. The Yanks have set themselves up as the hyperpower, and frankly thats been good for the world.

But their failure to get their act together lately means that the inevitable power struggle to fill the void is taking place, and we are starting to head into a very dangerous place.

The question isn't about now, its where are we going to be in 50 years, 100 years, 200 hundred years, and how are we going to get there. The last part is the problematic one.

It would be best if could avoid any major conflicts, we have for the past half a century or so, but history and statistics says thats unlikely. But the key to that in a practical sense is having a single top dog. hence a top dog that doesn't interfere too much is preferable to ones that will.

If we have multiple top dogs, then the inevitable will happen. Hence where back to its being the Yanks fault:E

Windy Militant
13th Mar 2015, 01:28
Jeremy Clarkson.

6000PIC
13th Mar 2015, 01:44
Religion , in ALL it`s forms.

meadowrun
13th Mar 2015, 02:30
Humans.

Is there a prize?

con-pilot
13th Mar 2015, 02:51
Jeremy Clarkson.

:D:D:D...................

Stinky McFin
13th Mar 2015, 04:27
The threat to world peace is Not Jeremy, but the BBC!

You don't want to Pi55 off 350 million fans now do you! That would upset world peace an armed force of that size!

Or in the case of the BBC, Yes, we can pi55 of anyone we like because we are the BBC and stuff the license fee payers opinions!

Ascend Charlie
13th Mar 2015, 05:08
The religion of peace.

Any other extreme religion-believers.

Individual ratbags thinking they can improve the world by causing death and woe.

The mongrels who cold-call at mid-day, 4pm and 7pm to tell me I can save money by changing my provider for electricity, or telephone, or insurance, or religion.

Did I mention religion? No? OK, religion is the biggest problem today.

wdew
13th Mar 2015, 05:10
Sorry guys but there is only one religion that is threatening world peace.

VH-UFO
13th Mar 2015, 05:12
I'm with you Charlie, religion, all types.

rh200
13th Mar 2015, 05:45
Considering last century and the death toll of various types, you could say atheism. Which is sad coming from and atheist.

TunaBum
13th Mar 2015, 06:03
I'm afraid I agree with you Fox..... religious tolerance...

MTOW
13th Mar 2015, 06:23
I have to agree with rh200's original post. The USA, under Barak Obama's misnamed rule, isn't maintaining or delivering what both friends and enemies expected of it. The friends are dismayed the enemies are emboldened. ISIS (or whatever you call it) would not rate a mention if the USA today was what the USA once was. They would have been stomped on, if not by the US, then by one of its proxies, or starved of funds (or both). There'd be many, particularly of the Left, (and too many Western Europeans, who've been taking a free ride on the USA's shirttails for almost 70 years now and hating the USA for it).

Instead, Barak Obama has turned the USA into something else, and that change has caused everything. And for the worse. It might be a case of the road to hell is paved with good intentions, but whatever it is, it's a road to hell and bodes no good for any of us for the immediate future.

MTOW
13th Mar 2015, 07:47
This cartoon, from the Fremont Tribune in Nebraska four days ago, more or less mirrors my comments above.

If Obama Were President In 1941: Japan Is A Tiny Country? ? Conservative Hideout 2.0 (http://conservativehideout.com/2015/03/08/if-obama-were-president-in-1941-japan-is-a-tiny-country/)

I'd be guessing that the Freemont Tribune isn't a fan of the Anointed One.

parabellum
13th Mar 2015, 08:44
Not that many years ago pretty well anyone from most parts of the world would have unhesitatingly answered "the US of A".

I call Bull Shine on that, you might have and some of your mates, but that is all. Your dislike of all things USA is well documented here Gertrude. Cheap shots like that don't enhance your argument.

tony draper
13th Mar 2015, 08:54
“Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us.”
:ooh:

chuks
13th Mar 2015, 09:03
Islamists from Mars! Maw, git my shotgun!

joy ride
13th Mar 2015, 10:04
Nothing divides humanity more than religion.
Monty Python's Life of Brian shows how it works:

as soon as the public decide that Brian is their messiah they swamp him, he runs off dropping his gourd and leaving a sandal.

One group of followers immediately decides the Gourd is a sign and must be followed, the others decide to follow The Sandal, a schism is set up and a fight instantly breaks out.

Christianity, Islam and Judaism have common origins and stories yet people chose to interpret them in different ways and start smiting each other.

The Bible is full of smiting, weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Hydromet
13th Mar 2015, 10:12
The Bible is full of smiting, weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Sounds like hell!

ChickenHouse
13th Mar 2015, 10:46
Biggest thread?

Definitely the most famous political nudging approach.

Without understanding the holistics, politicians nudge whole nations and regions into certain exigency without any vent so that some of these kettles must explode.

Espada III
13th Mar 2015, 11:36
The biggest threat to world peace is lack of true democracy and accountability. Even in democratic countries, it is clear that politicians do not represent what the vast majority of the people want. It is likely that well over 50% of the population of any country will agree on how to deal with most basic issues - and yet the politicians seem incapable of understanding that - so splinter parties get set up (UKIP, SNP etc) who deliberately try to separate their 'followers'. You end up with a mess which can only be sorted by a strong person who takes over - and that means fighting.

Similarly, in religion, opportunistic preachers (from all religions) entice the vulnerable who do not know any better towards a more extreme narrow minded view of the world and you end up with war.

Put the two together and you have a recipe for chaos.

Don't blame religion, blame the nutters who are out for what they can get in terms of power and wealth. If you wish to follow a religion, then you must listen to a wide variety of teachers/preachers before deciding for yourself how to practice that religion. More knowledge leads to less extremism. I have found this out personally.

Rossian
13th Mar 2015, 12:43
....and a fair amount of "begetting" I seem to remember, just can't remember which book......

The Ancient Mariner

panda-k-bear
13th Mar 2015, 13:17

No, Gertrude. No they wouldn't. Your LibDem credentials give you very narrow view of 'the world'. Most would have said the USA was keeping the peace. So please, stop making up 'facts'.

Stanwell
13th Mar 2015, 13:21
"... out for what they can get in terms of power and wealth."
The name of a certain international media proprietor springs to mind.

Keef
13th Mar 2015, 13:48
Definitely NOT the US of A. While the various US politicians don't always get it right (what politician does?), the US has a long track record of stabilising (or attempting to stabilise) places where minorities and terrorists etc have tried to take over.

Sometimes commercial interests get in on the act, and it all goes wrong - but that's human nature and politics.

Nor is it "religion" - you may as well say "mankind". Religions are a way for humans to relate to their creator - who most certainly did not create us all to destroy his creation. We can (and in here, often do) argue about which religion has got it more right or more wrong, but that's theology not politics.

I could make a case for the problem being "politics", with vast armies of little men trying to pretend they are bigger than they really are, and hence making "land grabs" using politics as their tool. Look, for example, at Adolf Hitler, Pol Pot, various Kims, Mugabe...

I have over the years acquired a deep mistrust of politicians who point the finger at others, rather than saying what they plan to do to solve the problems (looks like most UK parties at the moment).

And, of course, in some places the devious politicians use religion as their disguise. Examples come to mind of leaders who claim to be "religious" but don't follow the precepts of their religion. Sometimes they go completely mad and end up like ISIL (or whatever it calls itself this week), Boko Haram, etc.

The cure is proper, working democracy where the off-topic politicians get thrown out of office. Sadly, that's by no means universal.

Short answer therefore: "us".

Lonewolf_50
13th Mar 2015, 14:07
Walt Kelly, in Pogo:
"We have met the enemy and he is us."

As to religion being a threat.
That is a subset of the threat posed by ideology.
Not all ideologies are religious, but the threat ideologies make to peace and freedom is an outgrowth of a few things. Two that stand out are

How mobs and aggregates work differently from individuals
The phenomenon of the True Believer

But the real threat remains population growth, regardless of what ideology tries to harness it. We continue to get in one another's way.
20 years ago the NATO standard threat briefing, with the Wall down, was the future threats were most likely in the NATO Southern Region, due to
Population growth
Migration
Water disputes
Resource/economic imbalance.
Long standing cultural/political fault lines being aggrivated

That brief remains true and has in a lot of ways come true.

The same goes for other regions of the world.

beaufort1
13th Mar 2015, 14:35
A virus.

I wonder what they'll disturb whilst digging up the plague pits on the Bedlam site in London for this cross rail project.

Katamarino
13th Mar 2015, 14:36
Reading the title of the thread, and then seeing who posted it, I was expecting a veiled attempt at USA bashing before I even opened the thread :D Having lived here for quite some time now, it's very obvious that he doesn't have any idea what he's talking about when he goes off on one about those bloody Americans. I would hope he makes an effort to inform himself a little more when playing politics, but thankfully politics at that lowly level doesn't have any meaningful power to affect anything :}

Keef and Lonewolf hit the nail on the head. No matter who might seem the greatest threat to world peace today, or what we do to combat them, something else will always spring up. A large proportion of the world's population just want to argue, fight, and disagree; almost just for the sake of doing so. Rather like Gertrude's ill-informed rants and my willingness to take cheap shots back :p

The greatest threat to world peace are humans, just because of who we are. The more crowded things become, the worse it is likely to get.

Lonewolf_50
13th Mar 2015, 16:03
I doubt that in Viet Nam (http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/asia-pacific/vietnam/150310/it-turns-out-communist-vietnam-loves-capitalism-more-than-united-states)people consider the US a threat to world peace. Sorta weird, but also sorta makes sense.

I don't think a virus will be a threat to world peace, since the dead know peace. A can make for a lot of dead people.

ehwatezedoing
13th Mar 2015, 16:23
I don't think a virus will be a threat to world peace, since the dead know peace.

Ah yes, but a sure social chaos will happen while everything we take for granted take the dive....

I saw that on this TV show "Walking dead" so it must be true :p

Mr Optimistic
13th Mar 2015, 16:32
The Eurovision Song Contest: it must convince our enemies that we are flacid numpties.

OFSO
13th Mar 2015, 17:30
Tony Blair.

obgraham
13th Mar 2015, 17:51
The question here is mis-stated.

It is not "who" but rather "what" is the greatest threat to world peace.

And the answer quite simply is The Human Penis.

All the misadventures arise from one fellow claiming his is bigger/better/more functional than the next, and demanding the right to demonstrate such.

toffeez
13th Mar 2015, 18:21
Talking of Vlad, where is he?
Been out of sight for a week now.

er340790
13th Mar 2015, 18:29
Short answer therefore: "us".

NO!!! "YOU LOT!!!"

(I am perfect..... and so are all those who follow me!)

Kill! Persecute! Etc etc etc :E

james ozzie
13th Mar 2015, 19:59
If I may proffer "what" instead of "who", it must surely be the AK47 and availability of ammunition. While it is a fine weapon, its ease of manufacture and widespread distribution has wrought untold misery across Africa and the Middle East and continues to be the centrepiece of all conflicts, ably assisted by the RPG.

The enabling technology for any 2 bit miscreant to "be somebody".

Windy Militant
13th Mar 2015, 20:13
So as far as I can make out it will be an AK 47 toting Jeremy Clarkson after he's been infected by a Martian Islamist Virus from the Bedlam pit they're digging up for Cross rail!
Didn't they already make a film about this starring
Bernard Quatermass!:rolleyes:

ian16th
14th Mar 2015, 10:14
Talking of Vlad, where is he?
Been out of sight for a week now. On paternity leave?

Vladimir Putin's 'girlfriend has given birth' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/vladimir-putin/11471579/Vladimir-Putins-girlfriend-has-given-birth.html)

Wyler
14th Mar 2015, 10:44
Increasing Population and technology growth.
Can't have both.

cockney steve
14th Mar 2015, 11:11
Vladimir Putin's 'girlfriend has given birth' - Telegraph

I always wondered whence came the term "Vlad the impaler"
guess I know now. :}

Ogre
16th Mar 2015, 03:09
If the searching of my luggage and subsequent questions from the border protection lot the last time I flew internationally was anything to go by the answer is probably "Me".

However, I would suggest that the "meedja" have a hand in this, if the coverage of IS atrocities and hard words from world leaders were only reported locally the world would be a safer place. By giving everyone and his dog the opportunity to publish their thoughts and deeds so they are viewable by millions (from celebrity gameshows to youtube clips of youths mugging grannies) we have been made painfully aware of how much hate and violence there is in the world. Therefore we feel threatened / indignant / willing to step in and give them a piece of our mind and the circle goes on

Mechta
16th Mar 2015, 11:30
In answer to the original question:

Psychopaths with massive egos, and the voting/selection procedures which allow them into positions of power.

hifly787
19th Mar 2015, 06:19
Well, yesterday Obama's blamed George W for the whole mess. And there you have it. In a nutshell.

rh200
19th Mar 2015, 06:57
Well, yesterday Obama's blamed George W for the whole mess. And there you have it. In a nutshell.

Don't see what any of it has to do with George. he F$%ked with two countries, both of which where better afterwards than before by the time he left office.

Syria, nothing to do with W,
Egypt nothing to do with W,
"Insert destabilized country" here, nothing to do with W.

Iraqi they where told not to pull troops, long slow process, stabilization 101. Nope not Obama.

PacWest
19th Mar 2015, 07:07
hifly

Actually Obama did not blame George W Bush. He blamed TONY BLAIR and, G.W. Bush.

Islamic State: Tony Blair to BLAME for rise of jihadist terror group, US president claims | World | News | Daily Express (http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/564774/Tony-Blair-to-BLAME-for-rise-of-Islamic-State-Obama-claims)

:rolleyes:

Hempy
19th Mar 2015, 08:04
Project for the New American Century (https://web.archive.org/web/20130609155055/http://www.newamericancentury.org/statementofprinciples.htm)

Making the world a better place :rolleyes:

Signatories to Statement of Principles

Elliott Abrams
Gary Bauer
William J. Bennett
John Ellis "Jeb" Bush
Dick Cheney
Eliot A. Cohen
Midge Decter
Paula Dobriansky
Steve Forbes
Aaron Friedberg
Francis Fukuyama
Frank Gaffney
Fred C. Ikle
Donald Kagan
Zalmay Khalilzad
I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby
Norman Podhoretz
J. Danforth Quayle
Peter W. Rodman
Stephen P. Rosen
Henry S. Rowen
Donald Rumsfeld
Vin Weber
George Weigel
Paul Wolfowitz

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Mar 2015, 08:06
*Gasp!*

Not Tony-Blair-The-Middle-East-Peace-Envoy? Say it isn't so.....

Stanwell
19th Mar 2015, 08:25
Thanks for that, Hempy.
I guess that answers the OP's question - and a couple of mine.

cavortingcheetah
19th Mar 2015, 08:53
OP question.
From yesterday=Bibi.

Hempy
19th Mar 2015, 10:55
OP question.
From yesterday=Bibi.
Now be careful saying stuff like that, you be accused of being anti-Semitic..

A Clean Break: A New Strategy for Securing the Realm is a policy document that was prepared in 1996 by a study group led by Richard Perle for Benjamin Netanyahu, the Prime Minister of Israel. The report explained a new approach to solving Israel's security problems in the Middle East with an emphasis on "Western values". It has since been criticized for advocating an aggressive new policy including the removal of Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq, and the containment of Syria by engaging in proxy warfare and highlighting their possession of "weapons of mass destruction".

Interestingly Mr Perle was a core member of aforementioned PNAC. What a tangled web we weave...

cavortingcheetah
19th Mar 2015, 12:36
Antisemitism today is what homosexuality was a few years ago; permitted in private between consenting adults. Or is it? Anyway being a jolly old homosexual has nothing to do with a belief that just possibly Bibi's foreign policy Palestinian denial pogrom coupled with shanty towns for settlers has nothing to do with being a selective anti-Semite and more to do with power, personality, pissing off Obama and Likud.
Anyway and by way of an addendum, it is a convenient myth, much encouraged in certain quarters, that not being exactly supportive of Israeli foreign policy is the same thing as being a Jew hating Nazi.
Nothing could be further from the truth and nor am I a homosexual.

Bronx
19th Mar 2015, 15:42
it is a convenient myth, much encouraged in certain quarters, that not being exactly supportive of Israeli foreign policy is the same thing as being a Jew hating Nazi.

SOP in some JB quarters.

Much encouraged internationally by the Israeli government PR machine and their vociferous supporters in some other countries especially the US.

The Professor
19th Mar 2015, 16:30
The biggest threat to world peace?

The coming collapse of the greenback.
The resultant ending of the petrodollar system.
The end of US dollar hegemony and the consequent marginalizing of the western banking system and the BIS.

Every geo political play going on right now is related to the above. The western elite were given free reign over global finance by writing the rules in Bretton Woods.

The status quo has been maintained since but several major changes have taken place that will upset the apple cart for the western world.

We live in interesting times.

cavortingcheetah
19th Mar 2015, 17:01
So that would be the Chairman of the Federal Reserve at the appropriate time in history to come?

Ancient Observer
19th Mar 2015, 18:25
The biggest threat to world peace??

Farting on a commuter train.

Lonewolf_50
19th Mar 2015, 19:03
The chairman no longer has the leverage he once had, in a global sense.

Rosevidney1
19th Mar 2015, 21:36
Meddling do-gooders!

mickjoebill
19th Mar 2015, 23:45
Given his way would this Islamist leader support womens rights and freedom of the press?

Journalist shuts down interview after man says it?s beneath him to be interviewed by a woman (http://www.dailylife.com.au/dl-people/dl-entertainment/journalist-shuts-down-interview-after-man-says-it8217s-beneath-him-to-be-interviewed-by-a-woman-20150309-13yqgz.html)

Mickjoebill

rh200
20th Mar 2015, 00:58
Given his way would this Islamist leader support womens rights and freedom of the press?

Does it matter? Is it not his right to have his views, the basis of multiculturalism.:p

Romeo Oscar Golf
20th Mar 2015, 03:40
ISLAM...........in all its twisted forms

Hempy
20th Mar 2015, 04:32
Morons, in all their twisted forms

2pjxPR36qFU

Aviaservice
20th Mar 2015, 08:35
Jen Psaki :p