PDA

View Full Version : Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP

ricardian
12th Mar 2015, 16:26
Fantasy author Terry Pratchett has died aged 66 after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31858156)

MadsDad
12th Mar 2015, 16:34
Bugger.

Stuff the rest of the controversies. I think I shall just retreat to the corner and cry for a bit.

PM

Blacksheep
12th Mar 2015, 16:38
"Oh Dear. Is it that time already?"

"YES, SIR TERRY. I'M AFRAID IT IS."

RIP Great Word Wizard. We're going to miss you.

Lots. :(

Andy_S
12th Mar 2015, 16:41
I’m saddened and surprised by this news. His Alzheimer’s diagnosis was well known, and he’d been quite open about it, but he was still writing as recently as last year which doesn’t suggest a man incapacitated by the disease.RIP.

Riccal
12th Mar 2015, 16:48
Nothing could incapacitate Terry Pratchett. Brought magic and humour into my world and was a wonderful, wonderful human being.
I cant see that I will anticipate any book again as much as I used to anticipate the annual Discworld or Tiffany Aching.
Hes off to see the Pictsies - scrivens !!!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th Mar 2015, 16:55
I was lucky enough to have a chat with him at a book signing in Bath a few years back - simply delightfully madcap!
I shall raise a glass tonight. RIP

G-CPTN
12th Mar 2015, 17:15
Apparently, TP has just completed a new book - due out in September.

Farrell
12th Mar 2015, 17:46
Death speaking in capital letters.

Utter genius!

ricardian
12th Mar 2015, 17:52
My favourite quote:
"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING." said Death. "JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.”
Good Omens

joy ride
12th Mar 2015, 18:07
Very sad, he was clever, inventive and so witty. He was also a keen astronomer and music lover. I did a couple of performances in Chippenham with Sir Terry there all evening, enjoying the spectacle over a few beers.

He was a guest at our "Fig and Date Fayre" and adapted some of our daft games (like our Fig and Spoon Race/ his Stick and Bucket Race) for his stories, with our blessing. Having entertained the great entertainer gives me and all the lads great pride, and now great sorrow at the loss of such a genial and relaxed chronicler of life and all its absurdities. RIP.

Rather be Gardening
12th Mar 2015, 18:50
My favourite author. He brought so much laughter and enjoyment to people. A true genius and a very special person.

Blues&twos
12th Mar 2015, 19:01
Such a shame. Fantastic books, brilliant imagination. Both my daughters grew up to the Discworld stories being read to them by me at bedtime. Genuinely sad!

Lon More
12th Mar 2015, 20:06
based on his book, full length film

Wyrd Sisters ( Discworld ) - YouTube

VP959
12th Mar 2015, 20:07
I'm deeply saddened by his death, but will admit to having had a wry smile at the four tweets apparently sent from his twitter account shortly afterwards. Somehow they managed to convey the spirit of his passing better than any of the usual obituarys.

Windy Militant
12th Mar 2015, 20:35
A sad day today, just got back to work after attending a collegues funeral and the first thing I heard on the radio was the sad news that Sir Terry had gone as well.:{

Gertrude the Wombat
12th Mar 2015, 21:33
"I DON'T USUALLY DO THIS ... BUT CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH?"

(Not mine, seen on Twitter.)

cornish-stormrider
12th Mar 2015, 21:48
Is it selfish of me to say.......

But you cannot go, I wanted more books.!

I shall indeed miss the great man
I would hoist a malt tonight but I am at work so will do so in the morning

EDDNHopper
12th Mar 2015, 21:51
Very sad. Wyrd Sisters was the first Pratchett book I read (if I remember correctly), and I find most of his novels outright witty and funny. Not so much his latest works, but the witches have always been a good read, and Going Postal and Thief of Time etc. etc, and Small Gods in particular.

Mr Chips
13th Mar 2015, 01:09
He took us to a different world, and for that I will be forever grateful.

RIP Sir Terry

MagnusP
13th Mar 2015, 09:22
I was reading The Wee Free Men (yet again) when I heard the news. Much sadness. Less than two years after his friend, and another of my favourite authors, Iain Banks; the world is an emptier place without them.

ArthurR
13th Mar 2015, 10:56
Sad to hear that P Terry has left, I have all his books. He has taken a library of unwritten books with him.

Gertrude the Wombat
13th Mar 2015, 11:51
He has taken a library of unwritten books with him.
Nah, they're all in L-space somewhere ...

Buster Hyman
13th Mar 2015, 12:09
He can go & murder a Curry with Death. Great imagination...wish I could write like him.

Evanelpus
13th Mar 2015, 12:14
A brilliant author whose final act was to take that t:mad:t Clarkson off the front pages of the newspapers.

RIP TP

TURIN
13th Mar 2015, 12:49
Evanelpus. :D:D:D:D:D

He went with his cat curled up on the bed apparently. I can just imagine Death giving it a friendly pat on his way out.:)

Octopussy2
13th Mar 2015, 13:59
"Good Omens" and "Mort" are some of my favourite books ever. That's a brilliant tweet Gertrude - thanks for posting it.

I went through a phase of never travelling without a Pratchett book, because if I woke up feeling miserable and lonely, it was guaranteed to make me smile. Time to re-start that, I think.

TURIN
13th Mar 2015, 14:14
The (ahem) BBC did a good version of Good Omens on Radio Four over Christmas.

BBC R4 Good Omens (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04knt4h)

Not currently available on the iplayer but I'm sure it will be repeated soon enough.

MagnusP
13th Mar 2015, 15:13
Well, as I'm in the middle of "Wee Free Men", I'll read the whole Tiffany/Feegle series and then go back to the Colour of Magic and start again. I think that all I've missed is the Science of Discworld books. Recommended?

ArthurR
14th Mar 2015, 10:18
Yes Magnus its interesting. Just read that a Petition has started for DEATH to bring Pratchett back, I think that T.P. would have been amused by that.

ORAC
14th Mar 2015, 10:42
Terry Pratchett: More than 6,000 sign petition asking Death to give Discworld author back (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/sir-terry-pratchett-dead-thousands-appeal-to-death-to-give-him-back-10105642.html)

Thousands of fans of the great fantasy author Sir Terry Pratchett have signed a petition to bring him back from the dead.

The Discworld author, who died aged 66 after a long battle with early onset Alzheimer’s, featured the character ‘Death’ in almost all of his 40 Discworld novels. Pratchett’s Death was not your stereotypical Grim Reaper, but was instead an irreverent portrayal who – featuring heavily in 1987 novel Mort –had a fondness for cats, enjoyed curry and spoke LIKE THIS.

A change.org petition (https://www.change.org/p/death-bring-back-terry-pratchett) has been signed by more than 6,600 supporters since it launched last night. The petition’s founder, Tom Pride, set it up “because Terry Pratchett said ‘There are times in life when people must know when not to let go.’” Referring to the recent suspension of the BBC’s Top Gear presenter and a petition for his reinstatement, Pride added: “If there is any justice in the world, this petition will beat Jeremy Clarkson's. So it won’t.”.

Signatories paid tribute to the author, with many quoting from Pratchett’s famous comments about death and dying.

“Terry Pratchett turned Death from a figure of hate into a much loved and sometimes welcomed character. No-one else cared about you Death. You owe him!” Iain Sutherland.

“Signed it simply because he would appreciated the silliness of the news of the past 48hrs,” wrote Anthony Walton.

“No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away,” remarked J C Melia.

In Mort the title character – who is hired as Death’s assistant – tries to cheat death by bringing back his girlfriend. But Death says: NO-ONE GETS PARDONED FOR LIVING.

radar101
14th Mar 2015, 17:20
Now up to 23,560

I've just signed

TURIN
3rd Apr 2015, 21:02
For those who missed it at Christmas. Good Omens is being re run on (ahem) BBC Radio 4 from Monday.

Good Omens (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04knt4h)

Gertrude the Wombat
3rd Apr 2015, 22:06
Re-reading, got as far as Eric. So far I've found something in each book that I don't remember from previous readings.

Blues&twos
4th Apr 2015, 10:45
Terry Pratchett mural: Painter tells story behind cult east London street art - London - News - London Evening Standard (http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/terry-pratchett-mural-painter-tells-story-behind-cult-east-london-street-art-10154551.html)