PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy Tab S to Linux Mint?

rans6andrew
12th Mar 2015, 14:54
I want to move some video files from my Galaxy S3 mobile phone (Android 4. something) to my Galaxy Tab S tablet (also Android 4. something else, it upgraded to the latest version last evening) via the USB connection and a Linux Mint desktop machine. The first part of the job went OK, I connected the S3 to the desktop machine, navigated to the drives and clicked the Android option and all of the stuff on the phone appeared in folder on the desktop. Clicking down further I found the files and "copy"ed them into a folder on the desktop machine. All good, they are in .mp4 format but I found a player and installed it to the desktop and they play nicely.

The second part of the job didn't go so well. When connected the Tab S to the desktop machine there is some sort of block on the files appearing. I still get the Android drive and it mounts OK but no files appear. A timer shows for some time and then quits........

I remember when previously connecting the tablet to a PC (running winXP) that it went away and found a driver to install before it would talk to the tablet. The phone, running a previous strain of Android didn't need any form of driver on the PC.

Am I completely stuffed?

Rans6.....

Kitbag
12th Mar 2015, 18:24
As you're on Android check out WiFi File Explorer in the Play Store. It is really easy to use as long as you have a wifi router available. I have used it to the files from Android to both Win 8 and Linux Ubuntu.

MG23
12th Mar 2015, 18:35
MTP is a lousy, unreliable, clunky protocol for file transfers. It sucks on Windows, and it sucks even more on Linux. Sometimes it will work fine, other times the phase of the Moon is wrong, and it won't work at all.

I use ES File Explorer, and just copy any files I want to transfer onto a Samba share. That said, I think I'm running an old version as it started asking for permissions I didn't want to give it.

CISTRS
13th Mar 2015, 09:18
Why don't you try using DropBox?

rans6andrew
13th Mar 2015, 22:49
Ta Cistrs, dropbox might be the easiest option.

Rans6............

Patrick Sky
16th Mar 2015, 23:07
I use android apps named "Airdroid" for transfer between computer and phone/tab most of the time. hope it help :)

Ancient Observer
17th Mar 2015, 17:52
I am not advocating this, but Kies is supposed to do that sort of stuff for you.....