PDA

View Full Version : car crash

boxerpilot
12th Mar 2015, 01:05
http://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1735596/two-cathay-pilots-killed-porsche-crash

CokeZero
12th Mar 2015, 01:13
you might have to copy and paste the thread here because unless you have paid for SCMP then it refers you to the subscript fee.

Heliport
12th Mar 2015, 01:26
SCMP report

Two Cathay Pacific pilots killed in Porsche crash in Hong Kong

Two Cathay Pacific pilots were killed in the early hours of this morning when the sports car they were driving in careered off the road, crashed into a flyover and burst into flames.

The men were employed by the airline and were both aged 27 according to a police commander at the scene.

The crash, at 4.40am, occurred on Container Port Road South near Hong Kong's Container Terminal, said Inspector Ma Wai-hung, from New Territories South's special investigation team.

He said the men had been trapped in the blazing wreckage, adding that their bodies were already badly burnt when paramedics arrived at the scene.

Detectives said the pair had spent the hours immediately before the crash chatting with three friends nearby. The accident happened as they drove away, police said.

Ma said a 2.5 metre-long tyre mark was found on the road and that detectives would be trying to determine the car's speed and whether the driver braked abruptly.

"The 2.5m mark is relatively short," he said.

A spokeswoman for Cathay said the airline was investigating the incident but that she could not immediately comment.

Clish
12th Mar 2015, 01:46
RIP ...
But how inconsiderate it is for the media to link a crash to a person's job to get more exposure...

broadband circuit
12th Mar 2015, 02:00
R.I.P.

But how inconsiderate it is for the media to link a crash to a person's job to get more exposure...

Totally agree, we're talking about 2 humans who have left grieving families.

What if the victims had worked for a bank, would the reporter have made the title "Two [enter name of bank here] bankers killed in Porsche crash"?

Obviously the names haven't been released, or they would have been given in the article, so how how does the reporter know who is their employer???

Pure gutter journalism taking sensasionalist advantage of deceased victims.

I'm not a fan of "name & shame", but I suggest everyone goes to the story link, and look at the name of the reporter, which is clearly displayed on the article......

fjouve
12th Mar 2015, 02:32
You are too sensitive to your own world. In fact the SCMP did name the bank when it happened last month....

"Hong Kong father killed in New Zealand crash was Standard Chartered executive"

Clish
12th Mar 2015, 02:43
You are too sensitive to your own world. In fact the SCMP did name the bank when it happened last month....

"Hong Kong father killed in New Zealand crash was Standard Chartered executive"

That is still title grabbing "standard chartered" is still a big company ... IMO if anything, it shouldn't be on the news; and even if it was it should just read "Crash, two dead..." or something like that.

Stanwell
12th Mar 2015, 04:21
Clish,
I can see you'd never make it as a newspaper sub-editor - Best stick to your day job.
Commiserations to the bereaved, BTW.

Clish
12th Mar 2015, 05:57
Noted, but i guess if you are in that business there is only so much respect you can give

Sam Ting Wong
12th Mar 2015, 10:10
Is there any topic, any thing at all in this world, that doesn't make some of you useless sorry retards immediately moaning and complaining about your miserable worthless life???

Two young man DIED and the first thing that comes into your miniscule underdevelopped entitled selfish arrogant joke of a brain is yourself and your ridiculous profession and some paranoid fear of lack of respect.

Pathetic beyond belief.

Stanwell
12th Mar 2015, 10:29
Wooo!
Somebody got out of bed on the wrong side this morning. :*

Cafe City
12th Mar 2015, 10:53
Don't normally agree with you STW but well said.

Give it a rest you 2.

Bronx
12th Mar 2015, 11:16
Stanwell
I can see you'd never make it as a newspaper sub-editor

I'd take that as a compliment.

Yonosoy Marinero
12th Mar 2015, 12:34
That's terrible news.

My thoughts are with the families.

I hope CX finds it in them to go beyond their legal obligations to help the families out, especially if widows and kids are involved.

monster330
12th Mar 2015, 13:21
Regrettably Cathay won't do anymore than they are contractually obligated to.

Yes, first hand experience.

Shame. RIP. Too early.

Stanwell
12th Mar 2015, 15:15
Bronx,
Yeah, there's a point - although I did spend some years in the media myself and I do know the difference between
writing boring copy, attracting people's attention and interest - and a 'beat-up'.

iceman50
12th Mar 2015, 23:57
My condolences to the families.

monster330/Yonosoy Marinero

Unfortunately your comments about the company should do more than they are legally required are ridiculous and just shows how YOU feel about the company. It is a tragic accident. However, it is OUR responsibility to have extra protection for OUR families not Cathay Pacific's. Every other company would react the same way, they are not a charity.

Basil
13th Mar 2015, 00:37
Those young men would have been fourteen years old when I left Cathay.
Bloody Hell! How dreadful for their parents.

mghorient
13th Mar 2015, 02:04
For some reason the Standard had much more detail and you do not need a subscription.:

Pilots' 'drifting' game ends in death - The Standard (http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?we_cat=11&art_id=155135&sid=44064383&con_type=3&d_str=20150313&fc=8)

Flying Lawyer
13th Mar 2015, 03:17
The Standard might have much more detail but the headline is disgraceful.

Police suspect Wong was performing so-called "drifting" - spinning around in a circle with tires screeching - after a video uploaded last night showed a BMW, believed to belong to a friend of the victims, performing a similar stunt seconds before the accident.
Whatever the driver believed to be a friend was doing, what evidence is there that the Porsche driver did the same thing?

when the high-powered Porsche was approaching a roundabout near Container Terminal 8 on Container Port Road, it hit a road divider, becoming airborne for several seconds before slamming into the three-meter-high bridge column and bursting into flames.The Porsche was approaching a roundabout, not drifting.

Nearby CCTV captured the Porsche traveling at a high speed as it slammed into the kerb and was airborne.
No footage of the Porsche drifting.

Pogie
13th Mar 2015, 06:14
A 27 year old kid that lived with his parents owned a Porsche?

xdc9er
13th Mar 2015, 06:48
Why does that surprise you Pogie , it's Hong Kong .

CISTRS
13th Mar 2015, 06:58
A tragedy for all concerned and their families. RIP

Meeting up with KA pilots in the wee small hours, playing dangerous games with expensive cars.
WTF?

RHEINHARD
13th Mar 2015, 07:08
Ah yes. The elephant in the room. Of course he'd done the full Porsche drivers' course in Stuttgart along with the rest of his countrymen ?

White Knight
13th Mar 2015, 10:32
Meanwhile, in Dubai, there are 22 year old cadets here at EK owning not just a Hummer, but a Porsche (insert model) and maybe a Ferrari too...

Sad to hear of the loss of your colleagues...