PDA

View Full Version : Left handed fiddlers

kangaroota
11th Mar 2015, 09:22
Sorry to bother you but this is important.
Have you ever seen a violinist / cellist play with the bow in their left hand?
If they did, wouldn't it be dangerous for the player on their right? Might poke their eye out or something.

Allan Lupton
11th Mar 2015, 09:59
Yes.
James Barton, the second violin in the original Allegri string quartet, plays left-handed. It made possible a much better arrangement of players than normal with first and second violins in front, the viola behind the first violin (on the left as seen by the audience) and the 'cello behind the second violin on the right.
The player needs a left-handed violin as the order of the strings is reversed and the internals are not symmetrical.

I take it the potential danger you allude to is in orchestral playing, and so long as the left-hander sits on the right when sharing a desk with a right-hander, all would be well - so long as there wasn't another desk close on their right.

Duckbutt
11th Mar 2015, 10:19
Sure I read somewhere that Gary Glitter was a left handed fiddler..............

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Mar 2015, 11:05
I take it the potential danger you allude to is in orchestral playing, and so long as the left-hander sits on the right when sharing a desk with a right-hander, all would be well
No it wouldn't, it wouldn't look right. Given how upset conductors can get if the leader doesn't ensure that all bowing is in unison ...

OK for recording CDs perhaps, but not for concerts or televising.