PDA

View Full Version : Clarkson

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Effluent Man
10th Mar 2015, 17:10
Got the bullet according to the BBC. A row with a producer is being given as the reason.

Lon More
10th Mar 2015, 17:16
Fairy Nuff, he should have seen it coming BBC News - Jeremy Clarkson: BBC gave me final warning (http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27266102)

Pontius Navigator
10th Mar 2015, 17:17
Brave producer. :D

Ancient Mariner
10th Mar 2015, 17:20
I wonder who's more important to Top Gear, J. C. or the producer? After watching T.G. Aus and USA my vote is for J.C.
Per

superq7
10th Mar 2015, 17:24
He'll be back, best program on tv imo.

603DX
10th Mar 2015, 17:28
BBC News - Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear host, suspended by BBC after 'fracas' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31824040)

As Eric and Ernie once said, can you say 'fracas' on the air? ;)

ShyTorque
10th Mar 2015, 17:32
Bring back William Woollard!

tony draper
10th Mar 2015, 17:33
He definitely ran foul of the all pervasive BBC fluffiness,he must be worth a few bob now anyway and can write his own ticket.:)
Sooner the BBC is dumped into the dustbin of history the better in my book.

sitigeltfel
10th Mar 2015, 17:36
With the election looming, the BBC will be working to get anyone "off message" out of the way.

Effluent Man
10th Mar 2015, 17:37
I used to be a fan but it definitely did run out of steam. Too many of the features became stale. Chris Goffey anyone? Or the hilarious throwback Quent the Clocker.

Krystal n chips
10th Mar 2015, 18:12
Bet he is back shortly on another channel, not so sure about the co presenters.

That's a valid point really....but as all three have no discernible talent, they could all start working for the minimum wage now couldn't they?

Linedog
10th Mar 2015, 18:18
Clarkson sold hos 30% of the shares in TG to the beeb two weeks ago. He lost his big stick.

SpringHeeledJack
10th Mar 2015, 18:19
I might be incorrect, but isn't the production company owned by JC, so if the BBC have severed Top Gear and/or JC, he can take it to another channel ?

SHJ

cockney steve
10th Mar 2015, 18:19
That's a valid point really....but as all three have no discernible talent,

POT/ KETTLE ? :hmm:

Seldomfitforpurpose
10th Mar 2015, 18:22
POT/ KETTLE ? :hmm:

Absolutely steve, the one you quote is without doubt a classic example of that :D

MG23
10th Mar 2015, 18:23
I guess the BBC tax will be going up, once they lose all that income from Top Gear.

Saintsman
10th Mar 2015, 18:34
Clarkson has done some TV documentaries, including several with a military flavour. By and large they have been very good.

He won't be down and out for long.

Denti
10th Mar 2015, 18:45
Guess he will find work pretty soon somewhere else, and whoever will produce the next show will make quite a bit of money out of it as well.

Just wonder, will the BBC produce the remaining three shows of the current season? After all quite a few viewers around the world paid for that, not everybody gets the beeb easily for free ;)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
10th Mar 2015, 18:54
https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson?just_created=true

The Re-instate Clarkson Petition

sitigeltfel
10th Mar 2015, 18:58
If you want a laugh have a look at the commentators on the Guardian website. The vitriol could give some of the poor dears a coronary.

bnt
10th Mar 2015, 19:02
They could always replace him with Piers Morgan ... :E

superq7
10th Mar 2015, 19:09
Without JC the viewing figures will tank, anyway he's only suspended not sacked.

SilsoeSid
10th Mar 2015, 20:02
https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson?just_created=true
BBC: BRING BACK CLARKSON

We the undersigned petition the BBC to reinstate Jeremy Clarkson.

Freedom to fracas.

3 hours ago Guido Fawkes started this petition

6 minutes ago 17,500 supporters

:ok:

cornish-stormrider
10th Mar 2015, 20:04
Duly signed, childish and irreverent but I enjoy it.

Hunter58
10th Mar 2015, 20:08
Could the possibility exist the said 'producer' was an agent provocateur?

No JC, no TG, or not the one that is being watched all over the world. It would be like Blackadder without Rowan. Or QI without Fry.

G-CPTN
10th Mar 2015, 20:24
If fisticuffs were involved, the Beeb has no alternative.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-03-10/top-gear-series-postponed-after-jeremy-clarkson-punches-producer

Even if the producer is a useless wet lettuce (just saying).

strake
10th Mar 2015, 20:31
I think JC became bored with the whole thing and decided to self-destruct. One presumes May and Hammond have their escape routes planned because, rightly or wrongly, TG is finished for now - unless this is some sort of wind-up.
Not saying it can't be reincarnated again at some later date but to try and step into JC's boots would be beyond ultra-high risk for any presenter. Bit like James Allen taking over from Walker for F1. Allen is stunningly competent but fan emotion meant he didn't stand a chance then.

Economics101
10th Mar 2015, 20:53
The Radio Times report sez JC "aimed" a punch at a producer. Did he his or miss him? I think we should be told.

Rosevidney1
10th Mar 2015, 21:06
I would enjoy the opportunity to rain blows on the Politically Correct bastion that is the BBC.

tony draper
10th Mar 2015, 21:16
A BBC producer? a close miss would get the job done, :rolleyes:
He's probably never had a Miss close to him before.

axefurabz
10th Mar 2015, 21:22
Does anybody in the real world actually give a damn (forgive the soft expletive)?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
10th Mar 2015, 21:30
Even as a non-watcher, yes. It's about the last bastion of non-PC material on TV, and a lot of people I know, including a whole bunch of kids and a few middle-class women, like it a lot for that reason alone.
Once it is gone, you can move the Doomsday Clock another second closer to midnight.

chevvron
10th Mar 2015, 21:33
Never liked him and hated him even more when I read an article he'd written telling how he deliberately runs over and kills, or worse still maims, any wild animal he sees on 'his' road and I mean any; deer, fox, badger, he doesn't give a toss, in fact the bigger the animal, the more 'points' he awards himself.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
10th Mar 2015, 21:34
Top Gear. like it or loath it, is one of, if not THE biggest money spinners for Beeb. Clarkson IS Top Gear.

Is the Beeb that stupid?

P6 Driver
10th Mar 2015, 21:42
In some quarters, no publicity is bad publicity. Is this part of a stunt?

KBPsen
10th Mar 2015, 21:43
The guy's a one-trick dick who's only defended by those who thinks that being a dick is great.

Donkey497
10th Mar 2015, 21:53
What rather disappoints me is the coverage on the Six o'clock News & subsequently repeated on News 24 by the BBC "Entertainment" correspondent that contained little factual information or balance but served mainly to convict and pass sentence based on hearsay, previous contrived situations and severe frothing at the mouth by the proverbial fluffy-huggies.

My how the broadcasting standards have slipped.

Seldomfitforpurpose
10th Mar 2015, 21:55
And he is normally attacked by those not smart enough to make a squillion squid simply by being a dick :p

KBPsen
10th Mar 2015, 22:00
Then he never made a squillion squid (whatever that is) so your argument is as dickish as Clarkson.

Or is your argument that anything that makes a fair buck is just great?

pvmw
10th Mar 2015, 22:01
The guy's a one-trick dick who's only defended by those who thinks that being a dick is great.Did you watch the documentary he did on Operation Chariot? Or possibly the documentary he did on IK Brunel?

No? Thought not. You may not like him, but to dismiss his talent on the basis of the one programme - which he presents extremely successfully, as evinced by the worldwide sales - says more about you than him. And no, I don't particularly like him - I do enjoy watching Top Gear tho'.

Seldomfitforpurpose
10th Mar 2015, 22:21
Or is your argument that anything that makes a fair buck is just great?

I don't like Michael Macintyre, he simply does not make me laugh in any way shape or form but I fully accept the guy is extremely talented and appeals to millions of folk up and down the land.

Its clearly an outlook on life where we differ :ok:

currawong
10th Mar 2015, 22:21
They sack Jeremy Clarkson, yet did not sack Jimmy Saville....

Nice set of standards BBC:D

Shaggy Sheep Driver
10th Mar 2015, 22:26
BBC leftie PC shyte writ large!

Protected by the licence fee they can get away with shooting the biggest earner they have, in the name of PC leftienss.

Time to abolish that tax that is the licence fee, and let this bunch of precious luvvies stand or fall in the open market!

You can't knock success. Unless you are a protected leftie organisation like the BBC!

kms901
10th Mar 2015, 22:32
I was there when he "aimed a punch" at a fellow journo. That time it was definitely justified.

G-CPTN
10th Mar 2015, 22:32
If Mr Clarkson decides to take his services elsewhere (assuming he is permitted to compete - there might be a clause preventing him from so doing), what title do you imagine he would use (and would he take the two stooges with him)?

Interested Passenger
10th Mar 2015, 22:38
all that effort to get the Ferrari The Ferrari , Porsche and Mclaren together, and they cancel the show.

Clarkson already works for the Sun, so moving to Murdock's space station will be the obvious move, and those of us that don't want to make wayne roooney even richer won't be seeing any more top gear, and Dave won't get the repeats.

The other two will go with him, won't miss Hammond, but May's other programs are good.

sad day for petrol heads

Tankertrashnav
10th Mar 2015, 22:51
Just been listening to the Radio 4 News at 10 and they had the bloke who does the voiceover for Clarkson in Farsi for Top Gear, which is apparently very popular in Iran. JC is accorded the status of pop idol there, and even he (the Iranian bloke) is a celeb, basking in Clarkson's reflected glory! In ultra conservative Iran he sometimes has a few problems, such as wondering how to translate the remark "This car's seats were obviously designed for Thai ladyboys" into Farsi and still get away with it! His parting comment was to hope that Clarkson is re-instated, otherwise he is out of a job.

Good luck to Clarkson, I'm no fan of the programme but more power to his elbow for swimming against the tide.

K & C - why are you surprised that people with no talent can be so successful? After all Bob Dylan has had a lifetime career without any!

(Taking cover against incoming ;))

Fox3WheresMyBanana
10th Mar 2015, 23:00
"Look out kid,
It's something you did.
God knows when
But you're doing it again"

By Bob, might as well be about Clarkson

(Subterranean Homesick Blues)

Union Jack
10th Mar 2015, 23:16
Or QI without Fry.

I must have missed the petition supporting this.....

Jack

con-pilot
11th Mar 2015, 01:00
I like Clarkson, despite his constant American bashing, and I like Top Gear.

I really hope he wins this battle.

I’ve also noticed a lot of jealousy from some here, rather shameful if you ask me.

G-CPTN
11th Mar 2015, 01:06
I've just realised that JC is a manifestation of Mr Toad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Toad).

TWT
11th Mar 2015, 01:23
The 'fracas' was about a catering issue in Newcastle,it is alleged in this article:

Jeremy Clarkson suspended: Producer Top Gear host 'hit in fracas' identified as Oisin Tymon - Mirror Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarkson-suspended-producer-top-5309060)

Whatever the reason,throwing punches isn't going to do you any favours.

Loose rivets
11th Mar 2015, 02:08
Then there was Simon Dee.

But Dee's rapid ascent, which saw him move from being the DJ whose voice was the first heard on the floating pirate station Radio Caroline in 1964 to become one of Britain's highest-paid broadcasters, was matched only by the speed of his disappearance from the nation's screens.

After a series of contractual disputes, his shows were dropped by 1970 and, unable to revive his showbiz career, he found a job as a bus driver.

A V-10 supercharged bus, perhaps?

sirwa69
11th Mar 2015, 05:00
Almost 130,000 signatures now

Krystal n chips
11th Mar 2015, 06:24
TTN,

Bit of drift there considering your former occupation.....;)
However, regarding Dylan, I completely agree, Great music / lyrics.....when performed by just about any other artist(s),

"BBC leftie PC shyte writ large!"

Ah, so on that basis, you condone workplace ( alleged ) violence then ?

If, as reported, he was given a final warning and the various grievance procedures have been followed, then if the allegation is proved to be correct, he has only himself to blame. So lets dispense with all this "poor Jeremy, faux sympathy " because it has no validity.

Amazing, and disturbing, to read the support on here for an alleged action, which, in most sectors would mean instant dismissal for gross misconduct.

His column in the ST is in the same formulaic manner as TG ( deceased ). Read one and you've read the lot.

I am surprised nothing was said about his comments regarding Liverpool at short time ago in this respect.

I think we can rule out UKIP however, there's only room for one precious ego in that party after all.

ORAC
11th Mar 2015, 07:12
I see it has now gone from punching someone to "a punch" 0n the BBC news site and being reported on air as "aimed a punch" rather than even "threw a punch"; which can cover anything including lifting a fist in mock anger or just frustration or humour without any intent to hit.

I cannot but have a suspicion that someone has tried to expand a molehill into a mountain, for whatever reason, and a series of backtracks have begun.

charliegolf
11th Mar 2015, 07:13
Does anybody in the real world actually give a damn (forgive the soft expletive)?

Nope!

CG

Simplythebeast
11th Mar 2015, 07:21
Just sack him. He's a ****.

goudie
11th Mar 2015, 07:30
Now that the BBC has cancelled the final shows of this series I can't see them ever re-instating the series, at least not with the present trio. I've enjoyed a few of the shows but the format has become rather boring of late.
As for JC, he has become a parody of himself.

ShyTorque
11th Mar 2015, 07:52

So that's just under 64 million who haven't signed.

SilsoeSid
11th Mar 2015, 08:10
So that's just under 64 million who haven't signed.

Looking to the right if the page, the accurate figure is now, 179,471.

Considering that the UK Govt e-petition site requires a petition to reach 100,000 signatures in order for the issue to be addressed in the Commons, I think that the fact that this 'Clarkson petition' has reached such numbers in only 15 hours shows that he and the show have more support than most would like.

Compared to the votes during the last General Election http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/excel_doc/0020/105725/GE2010-constituency-results-website.xls where the winning candidates achieved only 20,000 votes to become an MP and Plaid Cymru 174,838 votes, Clarkson's 180,000 sounds quite good :ok:

Effluent Man
11th Mar 2015, 08:30
However if you divide that by the 650 constituencies that equates to about 250,which is substantially fewer than The Monster Raving Loony candidate, it is however more than a Lib Dem.

Lon More
11th Mar 2015, 08:36
Having made that much wedge on the basis of being what the Cousins would call a "Good old Boy' he's marketed himself very well.
Unfortunately i went right off him after he advocated stringing piano wire across the road to decapitate bikers who were annoying him. Top Gear is about as relevant to cars as is Andy Pandy.

I'd rather look at Jodie Kidd on The Classic Car Show

http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/jodie_kidd_2006_08_23.jpg

SilsoeSid
11th Mar 2015, 08:41

That's just the kind of sexist attitude Top Gear fans could do without!

tony draper
11th Mar 2015, 08:49
I have found a suitable replacement.
Malla. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaMb-5w-V0Y

VP959
11th Mar 2015, 09:06
I was an avid Top Gear fan for many years, but have to say I stopped watching it when it switched from being a car programme to a vehicle for Clarkson et al to be outrageous.

I've occasionally watched it over the past year or two, but it's now very formulaic and largely a comedy show, not a car programme. The technical inaccuracies when they do mention cars get to be annoying after a while, and whilst being offensive can make someone popular on air for a time, it does wear thin after a while.

I think the best thing to do would be scrap the show, let Clarkson go off and do what he wishes on a different channel (I'm sure he'll find an audience OK) and then for the BBC to introduce a decent car programme, one that is actually about cars, rather than the personalities of the presenters.

There are a stack of issues around cars, performance, real world driving experience, economy, safety, driving related issues like speed limits, learner drivers, etc to make a really good and informative motoring programme. It could be entertaining too, by covering motor sport, or even including some of the real-life incidents that get recorded every day by those with dash cams.

Make it about cars and motoring though, rather than the curious personalities and egos of the presenters

BillHicksRules
11th Mar 2015, 09:25
VP,

So what you are saying is scrap a highly successful entertainment programme that is watched by millions and replace it with a dry, less entertaining programme to compete with the similar types that currently struggle to attract viewers.

Andy_S
11th Mar 2015, 09:27
....but as all three have no discernible talent, they could all start working for the minimum wage now couldn't they?

Love him or loath him (and it’s clear where you stand in this respect) I don’t think you get to be as well known, popular and wealthy as Clarkson without having a modicum of talent.

Never liked him and hated him even more when I read an article he'd written telling how he deliberately runs over and kills, or worse still maims, any wild animal he sees on 'his' road and I mean any; deer, fox, badger, he doesn't give a toss, in fact the bigger the animal, the more 'points' he awards himself.

You do realise that he says these things deliberately to provoke outrage? He loves winding a certain type of person up, and you’ve fallen into the trap.

As regards the ‘fracas’ I’ll reserve judgment until the facts become clearer. I agree with those who have suggested that Top Gear has become formulaic, but as general entertainment I’d still rather watch TG over some of the rubbish churned out on weekend evenings. If the BBC do dispense with his services it will be their loss; TG is a huge moneyspinner for them and it wouldn’t be the same without him. (Although I do get the feeling that there’s a PC lobby at the BBC who would like him out at any cost).

Sallyann1234
11th Mar 2015, 09:45
Well if nothing else, this has been a gift for you guys wanting another stick to beat the BBC.

SilsoeSid
11th Mar 2015, 09:49
There are a stack of issues around cars, performance, real world driving experience, economy, safety, driving related issues like speed limits, learner drivers, etc to make a really good and informative motoring programme. It could be entertaining too, by covering motor sport, or even including some of the real-life incidents that get recorded every day by those with dash cams.

... and there are stacks of programmes out there that already cover those matters, however I can't name any of them because they are simply boring 'flick through' programmes :rolleyes:

Of course, some of us know there's more to Clarkson that just what we see on TG;

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/18/article-2311149-195C86F4000005DC-23_634x681.jpg

Shaggy Sheep Driver
11th Mar 2015, 09:49
Agree with Andy S. TG is highly successful and it didn't get that way by accident. If you (like K&C seems to) think that they are just a bunch of silly tossers being silly on Sunday night TV, explain please the programme's success. If success (and the associated riches) came that easily we'd all do it.

If the PC bias at the Beeb does cause TG, their biggest earner, to be dumped, then the licence fee must go as that would indicate the Beeb is overprotected financially if it considers it can kill off the golden goose on a whim.

SpringHeeledJack
11th Mar 2015, 10:32
Another agreement ;) , TG has become more about the presenters mucking about whilst showing off cars of various hues, compared with previous series and copycats where it was all about the cars, 'petrolhead pure' as it were. Clarkson is an anti-hero of sorts and this appeals to a lot of viewers, although he seems to get a lot of others in a froth with his un-PC observations at times. He's not as stupid as we'd like to imagine and seems to have good intentions (and actions) outside of the screen persona as in the above photo with the soldiers. The media seem to have started with 'fracas', then JC hit the producer (which is assault and serious) and now it seems to be 'tried to throw a punch'...:hmm:

SHJ

Sallyann1234
11th Mar 2015, 10:46
If you (like K&C seems to) think that they are just a bunch of silly tossers being silly on Sunday night TV, explain please the programme's success.
H L Menken explained it long ago:
no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the masses.

The very same reason that "X Voice in the Jungle" is so popular.

A A Gruntpuddock
11th Mar 2015, 10:54
One point I remember from management training is that attacking anyone can only be dealt with is by dismissal.

The only reason that people are suspended until a formal hearing can be convened is so that you are not appearing to prejudge the issue by immediate dismissal.

Presumably this formal procedure has not been held yet so the final outcome cannot be known.

Have to say I haven't watched TG for years but I like his non PC attitude.

MungoP
11th Mar 2015, 11:15
I'm for smacking any BBC management tosser in the mouth.. the whole organization has gone PC crazy.
The fun has gone out of the UK.
Clarkson for PM.

Ancient Mariner
11th Mar 2015, 11:19
If you guys don't want him, we'll take him. We'll find some use for him.
He's big in Vikingland and the upcoming TG live show in Oslo is apparently still on.
Per

sitigeltfel
11th Mar 2015, 11:29
I have yet to see any confirmed statement of what actually happened. The story seems to range from "squaring up", through "punches swung", to contact, either by a slap or punch.

One thing is certain. If physical contact was made he should be out the door (as any employer knows) . It will be interesting to see how many people witnessed the "fracas", and their interpretation of it.

Ancient Mariner
11th Mar 2015, 11:42
We didn't have TV when I reached puberty, playing catch-up.
Per

panda-k-bear
11th Mar 2015, 12:05
Unfortunately i went right off him after he advocated stringing piano wire across the road to decapitate bikers who were annoying him.

Can't you recognise provocation when you see it?

Top Gear is about as relevant to cars as is Andy Pandy.

The cars that most of us can afford, yes. If you want a programme about oil changes and the technicalities of speed cameras, I agree. Seeking advice on perfroming your own services on your car? Don't look here. Want something entertaining and not dry as a bone? Ahhh! Now I see! If you want all of that former stuff, go watch that thing on C5 with Tiff Needell and that lady with the husky voice (how many a day must she be smoking?)

:=:=:= You'll never get on at the Beeb with an attitude like that. The patriarchy has led you into misogynistic ways where you see women as mere objects. Go forth to your diversity training! :=:=:=

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Mar 2015, 12:33
Clarkson for PM.
The only party which would take him would be the kippers, and they won't be supplying the PM any time soon.

Sallyann1234
11th Mar 2015, 12:39
Yes, UKIP would love to have him. But he would soon have to join the list of members they had to discipline or expel for accidentally letting on what they think.

Private jet
11th Mar 2015, 12:57
I suspect that there are people at the BBC who have been itching to get rid of Clarkson for years (regardless of damage to the corporations image & loss of "profit" from TG) and they see this as their chance.
Now that they've freed up some airtime maybe we'll get an extra hour of that beloved BBC product the "One Show", in all it's sycophantic, schmaltzy, do-gooder, politically correct glory. I wish they'd fire Chris Evans (again) plus the other smarmy bloke and that annoying Welsh woman.

p.s I reckon they could get Graham Norton to present Top Gear and finish it off completely!

MungoP
11th Mar 2015, 13:01
This is the one show that gives two fingures to all the PC / peanut helmeted cycle nazi / caravan polluting / speed-bump-camera worshiping / fun crushing bores that are becoming a cancer on all of life's fun throughout the UK.
There are hundreds of hours of tedious PC dominated programming to stultify in if you've drained all the spontaneity and adventure out of your life .. fill your boots..
Clarkson for PM

panda-k-bear
11th Mar 2015, 13:04
I suspect that there are people at the BBC who have been itching to get rid of Clarkson for years (regardless of damage to the corporations image & loss of "profit" from TG) and they see this as their chance.

Yep, Danny Cohen (pox be upon him) for one.

Now that they've freed up some airtime maybe we'll get an extra hour of that beloved BBC product the "One Show", in all it's sycophantic, schmaltzy, do-gooder, politically correct glory. I wish they'd fire Chris Evans (again) plus the other smarmy bloke and that annoying Welsh woman.

But the smarmy bloke is their go-to guy these days. Countryfile and, if I remember rightly, the commentary for that regatta thing down the Thames when Queenie had a birthday. That Welsh woman is just a carbon copy of that Bleakley woman but with a different regional accent, as is the fashion. Certain quarters would ahve it taht they're lining Chris Evans up to replace Clarkson on TG.

Won't that be... nice.

Can't see the followers following if the ginger one takes over...

TURIN
11th Mar 2015, 13:21
Yeah bloody BBC fluffy huggy PC brigade....

Oh wait, which channel was this on?

I have found a suitable replacement.

DaMb-5w-V0Y

Andy_S
11th Mar 2015, 13:21
Certain quarters would ahve it taht they're lining Chris Evans up to replace Clarkson on TG.

Won't that be... nice.

Can't see the followers following if the ginger one takes over...

I find Evans a bit over excitable, but over than that I don't have a huge problem with him. But as a presenter on Top Gear??

What a lot of people miss when talking about TG is that Clarkson and his associates have established a highly successful formula. And a big part of that is the blokey camaraderie between it's three co-presenters. I don't think you could simply parachute Chris Evans into that without seriously disrupting the personal chemistry that currently exists.

Mr Chips
11th Mar 2015, 13:28
If you HAD to replace JC, I can't see a major issue with Chris Evans - massive petrol head, bouncy personality and quite a genius when it comes to TV shows. As far as getting on with the other two, they would need to slightly change the vibe anyway and I'm sure there would be no great issue...

The comments on here about Clarkson and now Evans are only personal opinion, nothing more. Both are very successful, both have massive audiences for their shows...

sitigeltfel
11th Mar 2015, 13:54
If you HAD to replace JC, I can't see a major issue with Chris Evans

There may be some issues between May and Evans, after what he did to his Ferrari 250 GT.....

James drives the Ferrari 250 California (Series 18, Episode 7) - BBC Top Gear (http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/1700728396001)

:eek: :E

om15
11th Mar 2015, 13:58
Much as I admire JC and find him amusing, and agree with comments above about his successful other programmes and documentaries, I feel uneasy with what is coming out.
It is obvious that the BBC (whatever their faults) have exhausted their patience, but may have had no control over the repercussions.
From what news is available at this time it appears that Clarkson hit someone smaller than him because his tea wasn't on the table. If that is the case I can't really get too excited about the outcome.

susier
11th Mar 2015, 14:18
I sit on the fence regarding this chap. I think TG is genius, partly because of the unique dynamic between the three of them coupled with their shared fascination with, and enthusiasm for the topic.

You can't replicate that with someone like Evans who might like cars and know a bit about them, because he will change the entire structure of their relationship. Without JC the show is no more. He is central to it.

In fact you couldn't really get shot of any of them without ruining it.

He is nothing like Savile, because as far as I know, he isn't a devious :mad: but comes across as open in his denunciation of just about every distinct group in the world except for English motorists who don't have caravans.

I am sure that there are elements of belief in some of the catastrophic opinions he expresses but in the main they are probably a big spoof of those who do hold those opinions, for real. The irony is sometimes missed I think. And I say this as a motorcyclist, cyclist and female with a lesbian sister : )

In general I find him very funny and not at all creepy, while even as a small child the idea of having to be in the same room as Jimmy Savile was enough to prevent me writing in with my 'fix it' ideas. He always came across as loathsome and offensive in a very different sense. We just didn't know what was going on in the background.

So I'm not sure on this; it depends what happened. Whatever the outcome I cannot abide the strangeness that is the BBC.

dazdaz1
11th Mar 2015, 14:19
Over dinner last night at a popular London restaurant, a name was mentioned (reliable source) Mike Brewer from the tv series Wheeler Dealers is in the frame.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Mar 2015, 14:22
One wonders if the BBC was in breach of employment legislation regarding meal breaks/provision of meals, and that JC's actions might be attributal to low blood sugar caused by its own failures?
Shades of the Akrotiri Cheese Sarnies.

Ancient Mariner
11th Mar 2015, 14:23
Mike Brewer? That'll be goodbye to TG from me. The guy's a one trick pony, at least in Wheeler Dealers.
Per

G0ULI
11th Mar 2015, 14:27
Fox3

I was going to suggest the exact same thing. Middle aged chap, a bit over weight, smoker (possibly ex), weird working hours, a perfect candidate for the onset of type 2 diabetes. That would explain everything. It wasn't his fault at all!

susier
11th Mar 2015, 14:27
How anyone can suggest he would be a suitable candidate for UKIP is beyond me. I'd never vote tory or UKIP and I probably wouldn't vote for Clarkson either, but to put him in the same box as Farage is insulting. Nobody deserves that.

UKIP is just BNP lite.

G-CPTN
11th Mar 2015, 14:29
Apart from Clarkson (and his sidekicks), what is happening with the multitude of backroom staff who 'produce' TG?
Are they on gardening leave?

I believe that the contract with JC expires at the end of this month and a decision whether to commission a new series was 'expected' - and may now not happen of course, but the supporting staff (and the resources at Dunsfold (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_test_track)) will have to be considered.

That liability must run to £Millions.

FERetd
11th Mar 2015, 14:45
Aaaah, Susier, how are things out there in the far left field?

From your post at 14:18 I thought that you seemed to be a very reasonable and sensible person.

Your post of 14:27 just shot that to pieces.

dazdaz1
11th Mar 2015, 14:49
G-CPTN... "I believe that the contract with JC expires at the end of this month and a decision whether to commission a new series was 'expected' - and may now not happen of course, but the supporting staff (and the resources at Dunsfold) will have to be considered."

Thing is, the people working on the production side of the show are contractually employed for x months. After that they might work in other tv/film productions non BBC. The same with the three presenters. They all have obligations while their contracts are 'live'

ShyTorque
11th Mar 2015, 15:07
F3,

One wonders if the BBC was in breach of employment legislation regarding meal breaks/provision of meals, and that JC's actions might be attributal to low blood sugar caused by its own failures?
Shades of the Akrotiri Cheese Sarnies.

If that was my only reason for giving someone a thump, I'd have been court martialled dozens of times, and possibly hardly ever out of the nick now!

2 sheds
11th Mar 2015, 15:12
Don't you just love the fact that this internal BBC dispute becomes the lead news story - on the BBC, of course!

2 s

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Mar 2015, 15:21
Why send reporters out when you can write about yourself, a topic they are sure everyone is as interested in as they are themselves?

They really are a bunch of ocean-going narcissists.

MungoP
11th Mar 2015, 15:25
Mike brewer ! That irksome little Oik ! I want to kick the sh*t out of him and the TV whenever he puts his fat little face on screen.. and the moment he opens his mouth is when I click off. His long suffering mechanic Ed China is fortunately a show saver and his on screen presence far superior..he might well be acceptable as a replacement.. having said that I don't believe JC CAN be replaced.. he's a huge force and the catalyst for everything the show is made up from.. he's the energy.
If he goes then the show can continue without the Beeb.. the Beeb under the control of it's liberal left wing PC management is becoming unrepresentative of the country Zeitgeist anyway..
Let Top Gear continue to entertain 250 million people world-wide through another medium.

Rob Courtney
11th Mar 2015, 15:35
Don't you just love the fact that this internal BBC dispute becomes the lead news story - on the BBC, of course!

And there you have the real reason, it allows them to bury the fact that the head of the BBC was told to resign by a parliamentary committee on Monday

'Totally Incompetent' BBC Chair Told To Resign (http://news.sky.com/story/1441644/totally-incompetent-bbc-chair-told-to-resign)

Mel Effluent
11th Mar 2015, 15:36
I was amused to see that the headline on the BBC website was "Top Gear: How a monster was born" I thought at first that they were referring to JC, but apparently it's the show!

BBC News - Top Gear: How a monster was born (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31832534)

G-CPTN
11th Mar 2015, 15:58
There's always Tiffany . . .

SilsoeSid
11th Mar 2015, 16:02
Ah, Mike Brewer, nothing against him and seemingly a nice chap having once bumped into him in Banbury. However, his show, Wheeler Dealers' has always struck me as fishy; confirmed at the end of the episode where they did up an MX-5.

The clincher for me was the 'sale' part of the programme that starts at 3:30 in this vid, but the real giveaway is what 'Angie' says during the conversation about cleaning wheels at 4:12 :suspect:

6iBUTfzX9pA

Shaggy Sheep Driver
11th Mar 2015, 16:07
Quote:
If you (like K&C seems to) think that they are just a bunch of silly tossers being silly on Sunday night TV, explain please the programme's success.

That doesn't explain the programme's success. If it's that simple, and you fancy a few mil in your back pocket, you do it. Go on!

susier
11th Mar 2015, 16:45
I'd hesitate to equate not voting tory or UKIP with being far left...probably more centre left, if it matters...but perhaps my stance on UKIP is useful to illustrate the chasm I perceive between JC's and NF's respective attitudes to women, among other things.

One of them is serious about it. That's the difference.

Lon More
11th Mar 2015, 17:15
Frankie Boyle
One of the few things less entertaining than Top Gear is dull snobbery about the sort of people that like Top Gear

sitigeltfel
11th Mar 2015, 17:31
Frankie Boyle

Lon quotes words of wisdom from a clown who makes a living by cracking side splitting jokes about Paralympians and other disabled people.

What a man!

Effluent Man
11th Mar 2015, 17:41
Mmm Non PC selectivity there?

victor tango
11th Mar 2015, 17:55
Did he do this......did he do that.........what happened to get him shelved ???

Why do I get the feeling that this boring :mad: is going to go on longer than the Leverson inquiry into phone hacking ????///

Krystal n chips
11th Mar 2015, 18:02
Quote:

That doesn't explain the programme's success. If it's that simple, and you fancy a few mil in your back pocket, you do it. Go on!

One did think the polite explanation offered was, well, simplistic enough. Alas, not so it would seem, thus, to assist in your lack of comprehension, I have sourced this explanatory link.

Making the correlation could be a shade problematic however.....

Southwark - Brothels and Bear-Baiting | HISTORY (http://www.history.co.uk/study-topics/history-of-london/southwark-brothels-and-bear-baiting)

As for the unlamented presenter, once the little furore has died down, and given his well established persona, which media outlets are going to employ him in a similar capacity, and for how long ?. And if, hopefully, TG vanishes from our screens in it's present "three little boys doing silly japes" format, then he's done the viewing public a big favour.

If TG returns, in a more mature and diverse format, as VP suggested, and this has been proposed before, then better still as it could become a flagship motoring programme.....for everybody to enjoy.

On the positive side, both he and Dave will be able to add to the local pubs profit after May when they console each other about their mutual departures from the public arena due entirely to their own efforts !

Doubles all round !

con-pilot
11th Mar 2015, 18:54
I was amused to see that the headline on the BBC website was "Top Gear: How a monster was born" I thought at first that they were referring to JC, but apparently it's the show!

BBC News - Top Gear: How a monster was born

From the link.

In 2013 Guinness World Records proclaimed that the show was the most widely watched factual TV programme in the world.

I have to believe that Top Gear became the most widely watched TV show in the world is mostly, if not completely, due to Clarkson.

Looks like the BBC cannot stand success if it interferes with their radical Political Correctness.

And lastly, did he hit the guy or not? I’ve seen nothing official from any source stating that Clarkson actually hit anyone, just raised a fist.

Simplythebeast
11th Mar 2015, 19:08
I seem to remember that the last time the BBC had a personality who's celebrity was so great that he became 'untouchable' it all ended in tears.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Mar 2015, 19:15
The petition website is currently down...too many trying to sign I suspect ;)

flydive1
11th Mar 2015, 19:34
If TG returns, in a more mature and diverse format, as VP suggested, and this has been proposed before, then better still as it could become a flagship motoring programme.....for everybody to enjoy.

Then it would be a standard show, similar to hundreds similar ones. No point to watch.

VP959
11th Mar 2015, 19:48
I met JC once, at a formal lunch. He came across as someone who only knew one way to behave, and that was to be rude and obnoxious 90% of the time.

He's a bit like the old "Shock Jocks", in that he's found a way to make a lot of money by being the way he is. I personally don't think he does much acting on the show, what you see is pretty much the way he is in real life.

Having spoken to him for an hour or so, I doubt very much that he comes up with ANY of the content for TG, that's all scripted by people who play to JC's strengths. I doubt that he's had any original ideas for the show at all, he's really just the entertainer who fronts it and acts as the focus for those who love/hate the guy.

I have a subtle admiration for him. He's a hack who accidentally stumbled on a way to use his natural character to make a lot of money. Arguably others have done the same in the past (Chris Evans, for example, except he seems to have buckled under when pressure was applied for him to reform).

TG can survive without him OK. It won't be the same, but the formula would work with a range of different presenters. Whether it's a motoring programme is a moot point, but it is entertaining and makes the BBC a lot of money.

probes
11th Mar 2015, 19:54
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03228/Matt2_3228859a.jpg

Shaggy Sheep Driver
11th Mar 2015, 19:58
Why do you say "he accidentally stumbled on a way to use his natural character to make a lot of money"? How about "he worked out how to change the format of a boring TV show so that he could exploit his natural character and talent to transform it into an entertainment show with massive world-wide cross-gender cross-age appeal"?

That's why it's successful. Things don't become that world-wide mega money earning by being crap or by "accidentally stumbling" on something, despite that K&C and a few others think a program featuring William Woolard telling us the internal dimensions of a Vauxhall Viva glove box will take the world of TV mass entertainment by storm. :rolleyes:

Sallyann1234
11th Mar 2015, 20:05
but to put him in the same box as Farage is insulting. Nobody deserves that.

So is Farage owed an apology? :E

angels
11th Mar 2015, 20:06
Shaggy Sheep Driver - Did you read VP's post?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
11th Mar 2015, 20:10
I don't respond to a post unless I've read it. I find things work better that way.

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Mar 2015, 20:15
That liability must run to £Millions.
Well, one imagines that the lawyers are going to have fun with this one for years to come.

But it seems just possible, wouldn't you say, that if someone forced cancellation of a series by committing a criminal assault they would then be found liable?

(Note carefully the "if" above.)

pulse1
11th Mar 2015, 20:29
According to Ch4 news there might actually be some aviation content in the cause of the "fracas" which led to the suspension.

Apparently, a helicopter had been ordered to take the team to York for some filming. JC kept everyone waiting while he was in the pub and it was then too late for filming.

Lonewolf_50
11th Mar 2015, 20:34
I don't respond to a post unless I've read it. I find things work better that way.
Nominated for "PPRuNer of the Month." :ok:

TWT
11th Mar 2015, 20:59
Apparently, a helicopter had been ordered to take the team to York for some filming

So,they were in Newcastle filming then the plan was to fly to York for more filming but because they couldn't get JC out of the pub they missed the helicopter ride ( due to darkness,presumably) ?

More theories about what went on than there are for MH370.

angels
11th Mar 2015, 21:19
SSD - Then you didn't read the whole post.

Your question was answered in paragraphs two and three.

And just because something is money earning doesn't mean it isn't crap. For example Apple is earning mega-money and yet you are dissing it on another thread.

VP959
11th Mar 2015, 21:22
SSD wrote:

Why do you say "he accidentally stumbled on a way to use his natural character to make a lot of money"? How about "he worked out how to change the format of a boring TV show so that he could exploit his natural character and talent to transform it into an entertainment show with massive world-wide cross-gender cross-age appeal"?

That's why it's successful. Things don't become that world-wide mega money earning by being crap or by "accidentally stumbling" on something, despite that K&C and a few others think a program featuring William Woolard telling us the internal dimensions of a Vauxhall Viva glove box will take the world of TV mass entertainment by storm.

I don't believe for one moment that JC made the changes to TG. That was done by a production team who saw an opportunity when he joined the cast.

Look back at the early episodes and it is very, very clear how the production team slowly changed the show to play to what they saw as JC's "Shock Jock" qualities. They then gradually got rid of anyone that didn't gel with JC, and the show evolved into what it is today.

It's not a motoring show, but it is good mass entertainment that makes the BBC a lot of money.

It's probably run it's course now, and a creative production team should be able to evolve the show with a new team or presenters, if they have too.

TURIN
11th Mar 2015, 21:27

You should have seen the Sky News response. Hours of salivating drivel.

Perhaps the beeb should just look the other way, oh hang on they used to do that....

Operation Yewtree anyone?

maliyahsdad2
11th Mar 2015, 21:47
Sorry Vp but you are wrong. The whole production team apart from one member went to channel 5 and fifth gear when Top Gear was cancelled in 2001.
This version of Top Gear started in 2002 and was Andy Wilmans and Jeremy Clarks vision and a completely different format from the old Top Gear.

G-CPTN
11th Mar 2015, 22:44
I believe that the programmes are partially 'live' - for example the final presentation with the audience.

Agreed that most of the 'stunts' will be recorded (along with the 'fastest laps'), but the final production is done 'live' (though maybe not on the Sunday evening).

Anybody been and know for certain?

Flying Lawyer
11th Mar 2015, 23:19
KPBsen The guy's a one-trick dick .....

Perhaps you didn't see (for example):

'PQ17: An Arctic Convoy Disaster' - Clarkson's documentary about the Arctic convoys of the Second World War.

'The Greatest Raid of All' - his documentary about the daring Commando raid on St. Nazaire in 1942.

(Both now on YouTube.)

VP959It's probably run it's course now, and a creative production team should be able to evolve the show with a new team or presenters, if they have too.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_wgVJXWAAAcnEh.jpg

;)

tony draper
11th Mar 2015, 23:19
Another prog that has turned to shite with the loss of a Jeremy, Newsnight,it badly needs Paxo back snarling and snapping at the westminster scum he was obliged to interview.
:)

mixture
11th Mar 2015, 23:27
I believe that the programmes are partially 'live' - for example the final presentation with the audience.
Agreed that most of the 'stunts' will be recorded (along with the 'fastest laps'), but the final production is done 'live' (though maybe not on the Sunday evening).
Anybody been and know for certain?

Doubt its live.

Probably filmed at some-point mid-week, then all the footage will be handed to the guys in post to pull together into the final reel.

'Live' production is a bit of a faff, and involves all sorts of extra expense, so the broadcasters will only do a minimal amount of it.

Definitely none of the non-studio stuff will be live because the beeb will want to do a fair bit of post on it for colour grading, B-roll cutaways, sound mixing etc. Top gear camerawork is of course first-class, but all their magic sauce really comes from the geeks in post.

The location is also a bit of a technical give away that its pre-filmed ... there won't be any chunky fibre links at Dunsfold, so the Beeb would have to splash out on a lot of satellite space to stream it live.

That is why I suspect they were forced to pull this week's episode, and pulled next week for good measure 'just incase'.

crippen
12th Mar 2015, 01:03
A good punch didn't do Prescott and harm!!

:O

Stationair8
12th Mar 2015, 02:09
Now if Clarkson was gay, had a disability and was a greenie, would the BBC ban him?

BOING
12th Mar 2015, 02:11
When is somebody going to tell us what actually happened?

Katamarino
12th Mar 2015, 02:38
Definitely none of the non-studio stuff will be live because the beeb will want to do a fair bit of post on it for colour grading, B-roll cutaways, sound mixing etc.

Biggest giveaway might be that the show tends to air when it's dark, and the non-studio stuff tends to happen outside, in the daytime and often in a different country.

sirwa69
12th Mar 2015, 03:31
Top Gear is recorded in a Hangar at Dunsfold Airdrome on the Wednesday afternoon and evening before the Sunday broadcast. That is why S22 E8 was pulled as the studio segment was due to be recorded yesterday. Also the next two episodes, the films will have been made but as they will not be able to record the studio bits so they have nothing to broadcast.
It will be interesting to see how long the investigation and hearing process takes, if I was mgmt at the Beeb I would have done it already before making an announcement.

I wonder what they will do with the pre-recorded bits and what about the comparison betwen the McLaren P1, Porsche 918 and La Ferrari which they had managed to negotiate? :mad:

Stanwell
12th Mar 2015, 04:41
It doesn't seem to have occurred to many posters that this is mainly to do with,... wait for it.....
....PUBLICITY. :D
(Not to mention the need to deflect attention from a parliamentary committee's recent findings against a certain senior executive.) :hmm:

Krystal n chips
12th Mar 2015, 04:58
Taken verbatim from the Beebs website,,,,

" .Speaking to BBC One's Midlands Today programme, Mr Cameron said: "Because he is such a huge talent and he amuses and entertains so many people, including my children, who'd be heartbroken if Top Gear was taken off air, I hope this can be sorted out, because it's a great programme and he's a great talent.

Oh the angst !....

"Every organ has to be free to manage its talent. I don't want to interfere in the running of the BBC. I hope it can be sorted out.

A rather unfortunate choice of words really.....apt however, for both of them,

"The prime minister has many responsibilities, sadly, securing the future of Top Gear isn't one of them".

Thankfully.

What happens however if he is dismissed?.....a decree from on high for 5 days of national mourning, the BBC to play suitably sombre and funereal music and civic buildings to be draped in black ?

The C4 report last night was interesting. Pitching up 3 hrs late, causing disruption to the schedules isn't the most astute move.....

MG23
12th Mar 2015, 05:25
What happens however if he is dismissed?.....a decree from on high for 5 days of national mourning, the BBC to play suitably sombre and funereal music and civic buildings to be draped in black ?

The BBC loses a lot of money, and another channel makes a lot of money. They must be lining up for a chance to hire him and rake in those hundreds of millions of pounds.

Effluent Man
12th Mar 2015, 06:42
The whole affair is an allegory for the celebrity age. Whereas heroes used to shoot Messerschmitts into the English Channel or hike to the South Pole the 21st century versions lamps a little Paddy because he was offered the Charcuterie Platter rather than a T-Bone.

Flying Lawyer - His programs were ok but IMHO not a patch on the late and very greatly lamented Professor Richard Holmes. I remember him wading into the sea at Dunkirk. A great talent as a historian.

Wokkafans
12th Mar 2015, 08:16
Sunday's TG gets replaced by a programme on The Reds:

Inside The Bubble (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/inside-the-bubble-11032015)

mixture
12th Mar 2015, 08:19
Sunday's TG gets replaced by a programme on The Reds:

A repeat of a programme that only aired a few months ago at Christmas.

Surely they could have found something a bit fresher to show.

ORAC
12th Mar 2015, 08:36
Petition total passed 672,000.....

maliyahsdad2
12th Mar 2015, 09:00
Flying Lawyer, re post #142.
Sadly Compo was ejected from the BBC a few years ago after being caught taking Nora's stockings from the BBC props dept for "personal" use, Cleggy was sacked when he called a fellow in nearby Bradford a "Coloured Person" instead of the correct term "Person of Colour" and Foggy once went for a drink with Cliff Richard so is "Persona non Grata"

ATNotts
12th Mar 2015, 09:17
Petition total passed 672,000.....

Frankly I couldn't care if the petition reached 6 million - the fact are that he has been disciplined previously, and and now, he has allegedly assaulted another member of staff.

How many posters here (who are working) would expect to get away with assaulting, or threatening violence against another employee in the organisations where they work? If they are honest, very few.

He will undoubtedly go through disciplinary hearings and a decision will be arrived at by management, which of course he would be free to appeal. If he ultimately loses he should be sacked - no ifs, no buts.

Just because he's a celeb. he shouldn't get special treatment, otherwise the whole management and employment policies of the BBC fall into total disrepute.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
12th Mar 2015, 09:24
And just because something is money earning doesn't mean it isn't crap. For example Apple is earning mega-money and yet you are dissing it on another thread.

Angels, it seems it's you who isn't reading threads. Point me at where I accuse Apple of producing crap products! Not only do I do no such thing, I say that they are superb products that work very well.

Please pay attention!

tartare
12th Mar 2015, 09:47
Love the cock and balls jokes on Top Gear.
Young Tartare and I watch it religiously and laugh our heads off.
But Clarkson is what we referred to at the BBC politely as a Berkley Hunt.
Sack the fvcker - he's become too big for the show.
When No 10. feels it necessary to opine on the future of some overpaid tosser from Chipping Norton, then it's bleedin' time for him to go.
He's a TV presenter for gawds sake...

VP959
12th Mar 2015, 09:49
Frankly I couldn't care if the petition reached 6 million - the fact are that he has been disciplined previously, and and now, he has allegedly assaulted another member of staff.

How many posters here (who are working) would expect to get away with assaulting, or threatening violence against another employee in the organisations where they work? If they are honest, very few.

He will undoubtedly go through disciplinary hearings and a decision will be arrived at by management, which of course he would be free to appeal. If he ultimately loses he should be sacked - no ifs, no buts.

Just because he's a celeb. he shouldn't get special treatment, otherwise the whole management and employment policies of the BBC fall into total disrepute.

Well said.

The petition is a pointless waste of time by all those involved.

If, and at this moment it is, as far as the public and JC are concerned a big IF, JC did use behaviour to another employee in the workplace that was unacceptable (in any workplace - TV is no different to any other place of work in law, I believe) then it is down to the disciplinary process in the BBC running it's course and reaching a decision.

I know that when I was at work, assault, or threatened assault, on a colleague was a disciplinary offence that would have been handled like this:

1 - The employee accused would be suspended to take them out of the working environment whilst an investigation took place.

2 - The level of the alleged offence would be assessed by an immediate senior line manager and one of three courses of action taken, depending on the assessed severity of the alleged offence:

a) - An internal disciplinary investigation run by a senior manager within the team.

b) - An internal disciplinary investigation taken by an independent investigating officer drawn from another area of the organisation.

c) - The matter would be handed to the police if there was suspicion that a criminal offence had been committed.

In this case it would seem that the BBC are pursuing options a) or b) above, and JC has been suspended whilst the investigation takes its course. Just as in a legal situation, he is innocent until found guilty, so it could well turn out that he didn't commit any disciplinary offence at all, whereupon I should think things would return to normal.

A film set is a workplace just like any other, and any employee should have the same protection under employment law as any other. The bottom line here is that this seems to be a workplace behavioural matter, and the fact that one of the people involved in the alleged incident happens to be a well-known TV personality shouldn't make a jot of difference to the way it is handled and judged.

tartare
12th Mar 2015, 09:54
Precisely.
And a young employee at that.
Having had the experience of producing some of these presenters between 1998 and 2003 (not on Top Gear I might add) they are egotistical monsters.
No-one's above the law.
He whacked a young guy cos he was pissed about not having a steak.
Sack him.

Dr Jekyll
12th Mar 2015, 10:00
If, and at this moment it is, as far as the public and JC are concerned a big IF, JC did use behaviour to another employee in the workplace that was unacceptable (in any workplace - TV is no different to any other place of work in law, I believe)

But the fracas is reported to have taken place at a restaurant or hotel after filming was completed.

maliyahsdad2
12th Mar 2015, 10:03
(reply to tartare) Well we don't actually know that yet.
When they hold the HR meeting with him then they may get the truth (the public might not). If he hit him he WILL be sacked. If his suspension is lifted and he returns to work then we know most of it is bunkum.

Fantome
12th Mar 2015, 10:04
thank you tartare . . . laying it on the line. Sounds like JC will need two tickets next time next time he flies out to OZ . . . one for himself . . the other for his ego.

as a trivial footnote.. . . 'Berkley Hunt' prompted a little head scratch,
then I saw the light . . . . . even though I probably will not be able to say -
see you next tuesday

Curious Pax
12th Mar 2015, 10:06
The bottom line here is that this seems to be a workplace behavioural matter, and the fact that one of the people involved in the alleged incident happens to be a well-known TV personality shouldn't make a jot of difference to the way it is handled and judged.

You should probably add 'well known TV personality with non-PC political views' as many of the posters here seem to forgive an awful lot if the alleged culprit shares their worldview!

VP959
12th Mar 2015, 10:09
But the fracas is reported to have taken place at a restaurant or hotel after filming was completed.

Still "the workplace", I believe, as far as this type of work is concerned. I've done TV work and the production team are still officially "working" in the bar or at meals very often. In fact many of the briefings for the next shoot take place over dinner, lunch or in the bar.

This will be one of the things that the internal investigation has to consider, but until a conclusion has been reached JC, just like any other employee, will remain suspended.

In some ways the situation could be similar to that when employees are away from their normal place of work, such as on detachment. Do the normal rules of workplace behaviour apply whilst employees are on detachment? I know that in my case they did, in fact more onerous rules applied whenever one was in a public place.

panda-k-bear
12th Mar 2015, 10:26

You couldn't care, but then nobody cares whether you could or could not care, really. However, if it reached 6 million, then 6 million could care. It won't. It's at 672,000. I've been trying for 24 hours to get on and have a look; maybe even sign. I haven't been able to. So I suspect it's only that low because a lot of people are having the same problem.

True, I would not. As a.n. other poster pointed out, John Prescott did, though. One rule for Labour MPs, another for the rest of the prols. As usual.

But if he were a Labour politician, it'd be ok, presumably?

He whacked a young guy cos he was pissed about not having a steak.

So tartare was there - fantastic! He appears to know the FACTS and not just the speculation, then. Have BBC HR contacted you tartare?

TURIN
12th Mar 2015, 10:47
He's not exactly doing himself any favours is he. Considering the recent bad press of Chelsea fans.

Guilt by association? Never!

Chesea v PSG (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/jeremy-clarkson-at-chelsea-vs-psg-as-top-gear-host-makes-the-most-of-his-suspension-10101943.html)

True, I would not. As a.n. other poster pointed out, John Prescott did, though. One rule for Labour MPs, another for the rest of the prols. As usual.

Quote:
But if he were a Labour politician, it'd be ok, presumably?

Ridiculous statement.

IF JC had been walking down the street in the course of his normal duties and someone threw an egg (or a small steak:}) at him, I'm sure the vast majority of the population and his employer would have no problem with him decking said assailant.

Duckbutt
12th Mar 2015, 10:57
To VP959, a suggestion for the presenter of your worthy replacement programme featuring proper road tests of Nissan Micra type vehicles:

http://cdn.ocp.org/spiritandsong.com/images/motherteresa.jpg

As she is obviously qualified she can do road tests on the attitudes of bus drivers in different parts of the country to the use of bus passes before 9:30am, something that's been bothering me for years!

It'll be fun (if you like that sort of thing), as someone once said.

No doubt Top Gear will reappear on another channel at some point, if the BBC put your worthy replacement directly up against it you just watch those ratings soar and finally consign TG to the scrap yard where it clearly belongs!

currawong
12th Mar 2015, 11:07
So, has he actually been charged with anything?

If it is what they say, then surely the law will be involved.

So far, it appears not.

Bronx
12th Mar 2015, 11:09
VP959
The petition is a pointless waste of time by all those involved.

So is discussing the alleged incident when we don't know what happened but that doesn't stop us.

To the posters saying he should be fired.

Would it be sensible to wait until more is known about what happened and how serious it was before calling for the guy to be fired?

MagnusP
12th Mar 2015, 11:12
Just for clarification, is Clarkson actually a BBC employee, or do they commission TG from another production company?

Shack37
12th Mar 2015, 11:15
Still "the workplace", I believe, as far as this type of work is concerned. I've done TV work and the production team are still officially "working" in the bar or at meals very often. In fact many of the briefings for the next shoot take place over dinner, lunch or in the bar.

Whether it was still technically the workplace or not, it was also in public. This being the case the pólice should be involved in investigating the alleged events especially if an injury was sustained by one of the participants.

TURIN
12th Mar 2015, 11:22
Whether it was still technically the workplace or not, it was also in public. This being the case the pólice should be involved in investigating the alleged events especially if an injury was sustained by one of the participants.

I think I would rather the police ignore this and crack on with some proper policing like catching villains etc.

mixture
12th Mar 2015, 11:33
Just for clarification, is Clarkson actually a BBC employee, or do they commission TG from another production company?

Clarkson sold the rights to the BBC a few years ago.

I would hazard a guess that he has a contractor/freelancer relationship with the BBC rather than direct employee.

panda-k-bear
12th Mar 2015, 11:39
IF JC had been walking down the street in the course of his normal duties and someone threw an egg (or a small steak) at him, I'm sure the vast majority of the population and his employer would have no problem with him decking said assailant.

Ridiculous statement.

His employer would have a problem with it. As would the vast majority of employers. Assault is still assault even under provocation.

If Clarkson ends up being found not guilty in the BBC tribunal, perhaps a second petition is in order to appeal for the dismissal fo Danny Cohen for having a, not very well hidden, vendetta.

As yet, it's all still 'not proven' anyway, though some here would be judge, jury and executioner.

Ancient Mariner
12th Mar 2015, 11:45
There are times when a punch is well deserved. If ever the punch was delivered by JC, what did the punchee do to deserve it?
Yeah, yeah......I know, under investigation, bla, bla, bla. Just wondering.
Per

TURIN
12th Mar 2015, 12:02
His employer would have a problem with it. As would the vast majority of employers. Assault is still assault even under provocation.

So where are the double standards you eluded to in your post?

Two Jabs and his Assailant (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1554918.stm)

Both Prescott and the Attacker (Evans) were investigated and neither were prosecuted.

From what I can glean from all the media frenzy, neither Clarkson or his (alleged victim) is being investigated by the police.

Double standards? Or just common sense?

This is an internal matter between employer and employee(s).

G-CPTN
12th Mar 2015, 12:11
An interesting possibility is the 'state of mind' of JC at the time of the incident.

Was he sober and not under abnormal stress?

After all, to be offered a cold collation (as reported) instead of a hot meal is hardly a major disaster, especially when in an environment where alternatives could, presumably, be sought.

JP's reaction was understandable (if undesirable), but to 'snap' because of the apparent reason given suggests a deeper problem - either between the two participants or the state of mind of JC.

I realise that some of the stories attributed to 'divas' (of their demands) are unreasonable to 'normal' people - but when you get treated like a god then it is disappointing when you are expected to behave sensibly when the standards of care drop.

Megalomaniac?

VP959
12th Mar 2015, 12:16
Both Prescott and the Attacker (Evans) were investigated and neither were prosecuted.

From what I can glean from all the media frenzy, neither Clarkson or his (alleged victim) is being investigated by the police.

Double standards? Or just common sense?

This is an internal matter between employer and employee(s).

Just as I alluded to here: http://www.pprune.org/8898676-post161.html

My guess is that the initial assessment concluded that no criminal offence had been committed and this was a subject for an internal disciplinary enquiry.

Note that it is, at this stage, an inquiry. JC may be innocent or guilty of all all or any disciplinary breaches that may or may not have been alleged. We have no idea of the outcome at this stage, and have to wait until the process runs its course.

Right now, just as if JC had been charged with a crime, he is innocent. This is why the whole petition thing is a waste of energy. One may as well petition against someone accused of murder for all the difference it will make as to the outcome.

ORAC
12th Mar 2015, 12:18
Top Gear And Jeremy Clarkson: Here's What I Saw When I Worked On The Show (http://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2015/03/12/top-gear-and-jeremy-clarkson-heres-what-i-saw-when-i-worked-on-the-show/)

susier
12th Mar 2015, 12:39
I can't help but find it very odd that so many people have signed a petition to reinstate someone after an incident that remains shrouded in secrecy.

How can you sign it if you don't even know what he's alleged to have done?

Mind you saying that none of us knows the guy personally, he might be great, he might be a complete w*nker...all we know is our own response to his TV personality.

Mr Chips
12th Mar 2015, 13:05
I remain convinced that Prescott should have been prosecuted and only wasn't because of who he is.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
12th Mar 2015, 13:37
I remain convinced that Prescott should have been prosecuted and only wasn't because of who he is.

I agree. However, that fact that he lost control and lashed out demonstrated (if there was ever any doubt) that he was useless for high office. So they made him 'deputy PM' to keep the unions on side, but he was never expected to seriously contribute to government.

G-CPTN
12th Mar 2015, 13:43
Yorkshire Dales hotel named as venue of Top Gear fracas - after 'star offered cold meat platter' (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/11845834.Yorkshire_Dales_hotel_named_as_venue_of_Top_Gear_fr acas___after__star_offered_cold_meat_platter_/?ref=mr)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th Mar 2015, 14:40
Well, I've lived in the Dales, and been in a Yorkshire pub when a BBC production team turned up hours after they said they would.
The chef will have stayed on past his normal clocking off time, then still without any idea when they would arrive, prepared a cold platter and gone home.

There would have been nowhere else open in town at that time of night. The nearest late takeaway to Hawes is, I think, an hour and a half's journey, each way.

Since the epic c#ck-up I witnessed took till 4am to sort out, I had quite a long chat to the actors and the team (bar was open and they were buying!).

The producers, frankly, don't give a flying f#ck that other people have homes to go to. The junior gofers will have informed the senior gofers about the hot meal deadline, and been in polite contact with the hotel staff. The senior gofers may not have 'bothered' the producer with the facts. If they had, they would probably have been ignored or told to Foxtrot Oscar and "sort it". The senior producers generally expect the rest of the World to revolve around them. In BBC-Land, it does.

The actors would, quite rightly, have expected to be fed.

The reasons for the delay in the case I witnessed (I was able to overhear some of the discussion) were all due to the senior producers having no clue what happened outside the environment of a London studio. Or even just 'outside'. Since Top Gear do outside broadcasts a lot, it wouldn't seem likely to be an exact duplicate here.

Lon More
12th Mar 2015, 15:16
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/Badyin/11029493_10153683414647519_2012484135055187710_n_zpsppciqabg .png (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Badyin/media/11029493_10153683414647519_2012484135055187710_n_zpsppciqabg .png.html)

GrumpyOldFart
12th Mar 2015, 16:20
From GC's link:

“The general manager ended up cooking himself for the three presenters.”

Mmmmmmm! Fried general manager!

:E

Stinky McFin
12th Mar 2015, 17:49
I personally think its time the BBC was disbanded.

In excess of £3.7 Billion per year, and rising, and look at the quality of TV we have. Abysmal!

Constant sport on BBC1 and BBC2. Then repeats of the same live sports show just shown, following the news, then after the repeated match/game, highlights of the just shown live show! :ugh:

When sport is not on, its come knit a cake type show or Masterchef in ten different flavours, constant repeats of poor shows like Cash in the Attic, Bargain Hunters, come buy a house at auction, then the satirical chat show, Graham Norton, repeated 4 times a week not including the hard of hearing repeats. Once is more than enough!

If its not him, its the yearly drivel of "I can't sing but please give me a celeb to teach me because I am good looking and will get the votes and bring in revenue" type programmes. The Voice, and Belittle me in front of my family singalong shows. Come prance around the stage with me... the list goes on!

Other than that is the occasional Attenborough style Doc. Eastenders and Top Gear.... And multiple cartoon type adult shows.

Come on, £3.7 Billion should get us better quality TV shows than this!

I am getting a little bored with the style of Top Gears 'shred the tyres, tail out' style driving of all its cars. Its not practical and not safe on the public road; in fact it has no place on the public road. Why do the producers constantly feel the need to show this ridiculous driving style?

What I do object to is the fact that OUR money has been spent on producing the already filmed TG stories/articles and the BBC has stated that the already filmed episodes will not now be shown. Why? Were the episodes responsible for the incident that JC was suspended for?

This is a total waste of OUR money and how arrogant are they to just chop the show because JC allegedly, threw a punch. We don't know if it was meant to connect, whether it did connect, wether it was a serious occurrence or a playacting event that was taken out of all proportion. We don't know.

What I would like to know is why football and such other sports are not taken off the air and chopped, when a footballer, manager or other official decides to throw a punch, normally in anger, and makes contact, and is televised at that? Whats the difference between these two occurrences?

Why is a televised assault and the program it comes from allowed to be shown and not taken off air?

Its getting close to me saying goodbye to TV completely and with that, taking my donation to the BBC elsewhere.

I can watch what I want from the BBC, ITV or other channels by buying on DVD/download when it becomes available. Programs like Judge John Deed, Morse, Top Gear, Downton, and most good TV documentaries and dramas are readily available on DVD/download shortly after they have been broadcast on TV whether it be BBC produced or otherwise...

There is so little worthwhile watching live these days, whats the point in supporting the BBC's draconian and arrogant way of behaving.

Its time to reinstate Clarkson and show the programs that have already been recorded and don't waste license payers money any longer!

Over 750,000 signatures on the petition to reinstate JC must tell you something?

And if you don't like Clarkson for what ever reason and think he is:

enter your text describing your feelings for him here...

You have two buttons you can use. One changes channel, the other switches off the TV.

Don't prevent those of us who enjoy the buffoonery shown by the TG team from being aired.

I don't like football, but I don't object to others watching it, however, I do object to having to use the buttons all too often with the BBC these days.

I wouldn't mind betting Graham Norton has already been lined up to replace JC. He is objectionable, rude, insulting, opinionated, biassed, overbearing much the same as JC can be, but is allowed to get away with it because....

Well, you must be able to work that one out...

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Rant switch to safe!

VP959
12th Mar 2015, 18:19
I've come back from a shoot to the hotel at well gone 23:00 and had the cold buffet offer. TBH, the production team (and those of us who'd been working hard all day) were more grateful that the bar was still open for us. The cold buffet was looked on as a nice extra and I can't recall anyone, even the fairly well-known presenters, being the slightest bit put out by not getting a hot meal.

I'd have thought that any TV presenters who regularly worked in remote locations and late hours would be well used to having to put up with what they got. I know that the BBC have generally better on-site chuck wagons than the private production companies (having worked for both) so it's not as if there wouldn't have been an abundance of food available to them during the day, anyway.

I suspect there's something else behind this, and that we won't ever get to hear all the details, but will have to put up with whatever is released to the media once the disciplinary investigation is complete.

SilsoeSid
12th Mar 2015, 18:21
Basil;

It’s the world’s largest factual TV show
Just one word there with which I'd take issue

Mmm, best you get onto Wikipedia et al to change the description of the show and while you're at it have words elsewhere to get awards re-awarded :rolleyes:

Top Gear is a British television series about motor vehicles, primarily cars, and is the most widely watched factual television programme in the world...

... In 2004 and 2005, Top Gear was also nominated for a National Television Award in the Most Popular Factual Programme category; it won the award in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2011.

VP959
12th Mar 2015, 18:56
It's the playing hard and loose with facts, and the downright misinformation, that caused me to stop watching the programme.

Factual is is not, it is entertainment, with scenarios rigged to provide the greatest entertainment value, irrespective of whether they are representative of the real atttribute being portrayed.

The programme has, more than once. stooped to actually lying about certain aspects of some cars, purely for entertainment purposes.

I don't really have a problem with this, as long as the audience and viewers are aware that this is what is going on, and generally I suspect the vast majority do. In fact I doubt there is anyone who watches the programme that asumes it as being factual in any respect, it's entertainment, pure and simple, and is the TV equivalent of an amusing novel.

Kiltrash
12th Mar 2015, 19:04
Well I think this is a end to Top Gear,

and will mean that JC and Boris will form the next government, probably in cahoots with Nigel

They would all get my vote

TWT
12th Mar 2015, 19:15
I,with others,have returned to a hotel late at night after a long day working and discovered the kitchen was closed ( we knew that would be the case).We just called the local pizza bar and arranged a delivery.Not difficult.But there weren't any massive egos involved :)

con-pilot
12th Mar 2015, 19:16
Well I think this is a end to Top Gear

As from what I understand, that the BBC owns Top Gear, I fear you may be right.

However, it is entirely possible that Clarkson can put together an investment group and buy Top Gear from the BBC, then show it on commercial TV.

From what I've seen, heard and read, BBC just may be dumb enough to sell Top Gear.

Then again, maybe Jay Leno will buy the show. :p

Interested Passenger
12th Mar 2015, 19:27
Or Clarkson could present a new show, called "Overdrive". A short bloke and one with lots of hair could join him. Within weeks it would have millions of viewers.

Hopefully it would be a freeview channel, cos if Sky get it, they wont let Dave show it later on.

Only downside is the adverts:ugh:

SilsoeSid
12th Mar 2015, 19:47
Jeremy Clarkson suspended: Star wanted steak but kicked off after he got cold meat platter

The angry bust-up that left Jeremy Clarkson suspended from Top Gear was triggered when he got revved up about a steak, a witness has claimed.

Presenter Clarkson, 54, is off air as the BBC investigates claims he hit producer Oisin Tymon, 36, when he returned to his hotel after a long day of filming and found there was only soup and a cold meat platter.

Now details of the bust-up, which happened at Simonstone Hall Hotel near Hawes in the Yorkshire Dales, can be fully revealed for the first time.

Apparently the CCTV coverage of the fracas has been 'unofficially' released !

ORAC
12th Mar 2015, 19:59
I think there is a lot of internal politics going on here. Remember that the BBC paid a fortune to buy out His share in TG only 1-2 years ago, and he can walk away in 4 weeks when his contract runs out any way. Who loses, and who wants beaurocratic idiots off his back if he resigns?

Jeremy Clarkson: Could BBC punch inquiry fail because Top Gear producer hasn't complained? (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/jeremy-clarkson-could-bbc-punch-inquiry-fail-because-top-gear-producer-hasnt-complained-10104786.html)

....."It emerged tonight that it was Clarkson himself who first reported the incident to Danny Cohen, the Director of Television, on Monday."...

Dr Jekyll
12th Mar 2015, 20:46
Fascinating phraseology in that report.

The inquiry
could fail to produce sufficient evidence required to demonstrate gross misconduct on Clarkson’s part

The aim of the inquiry should be to find out the facts, not to back up a conclusion already reached.

SilsoeSid
12th Mar 2015, 20:47
It would seem one huge mix up and misunderstanding !

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th Mar 2015, 21:02
The possibility exists that Clarkson is putting Cohen on the spot. Sack him and he takes Top Gear away (under a new name) and the BBC loses its Golden Goose. Don't sack him and he has Carte Blanche to continue thumbing his nose at them.

Sneaky. Hard to believe Clarkson thought of it himself; it has all the hallmarks of a cunning plan. ;)

VP959
12th Mar 2015, 21:19
The possibility exists that Clarkson is putting Cohen on the spot. Sack him and he takes Top Gear away (under a new name) and the BBC loses its Golden Goose. Don't sack him and he has Carte Blanche to continue thumbing his nose at them.

Sneaky. Hard to believe Clarkson thought of it himself; it has all the hallmarks of a cunning plan.

I'm inclined to agree. I suspect such a plan is beyond the intellectual capacity of JC, though, so my guess is that it may well be a cunning plan thought up by the real brains behnd TG, Andy Wilman.

I doubt it was deliberately arranged in this way, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find that Andy Wilman had seen this incident as a way to break TG free from the BBC just at the right time.

The one thing I could never quite get my head around was why they sold the rights to the BBC in the first place, unless there were constraints imposed by the use of the TG name, which had, I suspect, always belonged to the BBC anyway (even if the new version's content and format didn't).

mixture
12th Mar 2015, 22:16
The one thing I could never quite get my head around was why they sold the rights to the BBC in the first place, unless there were constraints imposed by the use of the TG name, which had, I suspect, always belonged to the BBC anyway

No.

Clarkson's company owned the brand and earnt all the money by exploiting it.

I suspect what happened was the BBC realised how important the brand was to their network (especially BBC Worldwide who don't have the same commercial constraints surrounding advertising etc. ).

So the grey suits at the BBC probably huddled together one day and decided they wanted the rights, whatever the cost, and most certainly before a competitive network got their hands on it.

So an offer was probably shoved under Clarkson's nose that was somewhat difficult to refuse....a nice lump sum upfront and further nice chunky sums guaranteed to be paid for the next few years. Meanwhile the BBC take on all of the expenses and risks of production, brand protection and exploitation etc. ... all Clarkson has to do is, well, be Clarkson infront of the BBC cameras.

I suspect Clarkson may well be more clever than many give him credit for, because he's the real winner by far out of all this. Either that or he has a manged to retain a very talented team of professional advisors over the years !

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th Mar 2015, 22:27
It would also explain why the production team, including the alleged punchee, are keeping schtum. They all have a job either way if they do.

TURIN
12th Mar 2015, 23:33
Where should I start?

I personally think its time the BBC was disbanded.

Come on, £3.7 Billion should get us better quality TV shows than this!

It's not just TV. Amongst other things. Radio, iPlayer, internet, news coverage etc.

What I would like to know is why football and such other sports are not taken off the air and chopped, when a footballer, manager or other official decides to throw a punch, normally in anger, and makes contact, and is televised at that? Whats the difference between these two occurrences?

The footballers/managers are not BBC employees. Duh! :ugh:

Why is a televised assault and the program it comes from allowed to be shown and not taken off air?

Its getting close to me saying goodbye to TV completely and with that, taking my donation to the BBC elsewhere.

See ya, mind the door doesn't bang you on the arse on the way out.

I can watch what I want from the BBC, ITV or other channels by buying on DVD/download when it becomes available. Programs like Judge John Deed, Morse, Top Gear, Downton, and most good TV documentaries and dramas are readily available on DVD/download shortly after they have been broadcast on TV whether it be BBC produced or otherwise...

But without the funding and the promise of being broadcast they will never get made in the first place!

Its time to reinstate Clarkson and show the programs that have already been recorded and don't waste license payers money any longer!

Have you seen Dave?

Over 750,000 signatures on the petition to reinstate JC must tell you something?

Yup, the world is full of idiots.

And if you don't like Clarkson for what ever reason and think he is:

enter your text describing your feelings for him here...

You have two buttons you can use. One changes channel, the other switches off the TV.

So do you when the sport's on. :rolleyes:

Don't prevent those of us who enjoy the buffoonery shown by the TG team from being aired.

I don't like football, but I don't object to others watching it, however, I do object to having to use the buttons all too often with the BBC these days.

Yes you do, you just said so above.

I wouldn't mind betting Graham Norton has already been lined up to replace JC. He is objectionable, rude, insulting, opinionated, biassed, overbearing much the same as JC can be,

Put yourself forward, you sound an ideal candidate. :}

Rant switch to safe!

SilsoeSid
12th Mar 2015, 23:36
IDFyINbenOM

Could it simply be that Jeremy Clarkson was acting out his favourite Fawlty Towers sketch with Oisin Tymon, when someone walked in and misinterpreted the event?

MungoP
13th Mar 2015, 00:00
Showing it blocked by the BBC on copyright grounds..
Maybe they're hoping to include it in the next Top Gear after JC has been exonerated ?

Stinky McFin
13th Mar 2015, 04:07
Turin,

I see you have edited my post completely changing the tone of what was written. Why? Couldn't you manage to put together a post of your own?

Well if it makes you happy and feel good then carry on old chap. Others can read the original post for themselves and make their own minds up.

I won't sink to your level of buffoonery, even if I do think that you are the idiot; unless its down to your overindulgence down the local watering house? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Effluent Man
13th Mar 2015, 08:07
From the latest report from a family in the hotel I am guessing that there may have been ale involved.

Arm out the window
13th Mar 2015, 08:17
I'm going to risk being pilloried here and say Jeremy Clarkson has always struck me as an obnoxious knob!

SilsoeSid
13th Mar 2015, 08:21
Showing it blocked by the BBC on copyright grounds..
Maybe they're hoping to include it in the next Top Gear after JC has been exonerated ?

Try here Clarkson Footage? (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27psi9_fawlty-towers-s02e03-waldorf-salad_shortfilms)
Fast forward to 07:15

Takan Inchovit
13th Mar 2015, 08:31
Perhaps someone could ask Hammond what happened, he'll give the low down.

MagnusP
13th Mar 2015, 08:39
Perhaps someone could ask Hammond what happened, he'll give the low down.

This is turning into a hamster wheel.

Stanwell
13th Mar 2015, 09:30
Magnus,
That's because people aren't seeing it for what it is - a stunt.
And so many people have fallen for it. :ugh:

MagnusP
13th Mar 2015, 09:39
Sorry, stanwell, I was just making a stupid pun about Hammond, whose nickname is hamster. Not a serious point at all.

A and C
13th Mar 2015, 10:04
I am of the opinion that the BBC establishment are pushing the Clarckson thing to the fore in an attempt to distract from the events at the Parlimentry public accounts committee last week.

To have the chair of the committee call for the resignation of the chair of the BBC trust is pretty damming but the BBC managment are media wise and have used the Clarckson thing as a smokescreen to hide the shortcomings of one of their own.

Indeed it is a good day to bury bad news !

charliegolf
13th Mar 2015, 10:18
To have the chair of the committee call for the resignation of the chair of the BBC trust is pretty damming

Only if the call comes from someone with any credibility. From Hodge, it's something to ignore for what it is- grandstanding.

CG

crippen
13th Mar 2015, 10:30
Wasn't he born in Doncaster? OOP North in Donny,a fracas would have involved 2000 striking miners,with 5000 Police(South Yorkshire's finest!), some on horseback, charging among them. That was a fracas. :E

A and C
13th Mar 2015, 12:06
I have some sympathy with your point of view, the Honourable member may have over egged the pudding, but the BBC's rush to suspend Clarckson and pull the program was very swift.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the said MP the rush to punish JC and the top gear viewers looks to me like media manipulation.

You will note the BBC backpeddeliling as the Bring back Clarckson petition nears the one million mark !

TURIN
13th Mar 2015, 12:14
I won't sink to your level of buffoonery, even if I do think that you are the idiot; unless its down to your overindulgence down the local watering house?

Too late 'old chap'. You already did with the original post.
I just highlighted the idiocy of it.

You are quite entitled to criticise the BBC as are all licence payers, but the Daily Mail-esque rant of yours needed balance.

Sky customers pay hundreds of pounds a year for the 'privilege' of watching 'mostly' imported American dramas and sport, masses of sport. All with commercial breaks that will test anyone's patience.

For about £150 a year, 40p a day we get TV with no ads, National & local Radio with no ads, A website/news coverage that is no worse than many but better than most.

The iplayer, which, with a fast broadband connection, beats a Skybox anyday of the week.

You say there's nothing on you want to watch. People's tastes differ, but from my point of view there aren't enough hours in the day to watch/listen to everything I like.

There are enough programs for everyone from toddlers, CBBC/CBeebies to pensioners. Antiques Roadshow :O with a mass of stuff in between to suit all tastes.
I don't watch soaps or day time quizzes and there's plenty on the radio that doesn't interest me, but that's the whole point. It caters for all.

For 40p a day? Bargain.

Be well. :ok:

Andy_S
13th Mar 2015, 13:04
For about £150 a year, 40p a day we get TV with no ads,

Apart from their own.......

TURIN
13th Mar 2015, 13:09
....in between programs not interrupting during. :ok:

Lon More
13th Mar 2015, 13:17
Could this have avoided it?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/Badyin/safe_image%2014_zpsk4pupvjf.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Badyin/media/safe_image%2014_zpsk4pupvjf.jpg.html)

BillHicksRules
13th Mar 2015, 14:49
Turin,

"
You are quite entitled to criticise the BBC as are all licence payers, but the Daily Mail-esque rant of yours needed balance.

Sky customers pay hundreds of pounds a year for the 'privilege' of watching 'mostly' imported American dramas and sport, masses of sport. All with commercial breaks that will test anyone's patience.

For about £150 a year, 40p a day we get TV with no ads, National & local Radio with no ads, A website/news coverage that is no worse than many but better than most.

The iplayer, which, with a fast broadband connection, beats a Skybox anyday of the week.

You say there's nothing on you want to watch. People's tastes differ, but from my point of view there aren't enough hours in the day to watch/listen to everything I like.

There are enough programs for everyone from toddlers, CBBC/CBeebies to pensioners. Antiques Roadshow with a mass of stuff in between to suit all tastes.
I don't watch soaps or day time quizzes and there's plenty on the radio that doesn't interest me, but that's the whole point. It caters for all.

For 40p a day? Bargain."

Well said.

The BBC is IMHO the best broadcaster in the world.

It is not perfect but then again no organisation run by people ever is.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
13th Mar 2015, 14:57
I've never been tempted to get pay-for TV through Sky as there's enough drivel on the free channels, but an experience some time ago confirmed it's not for me. We'd hired a farmhouse in Wales for a family holiday and it had Sky; "goody" I thought. "I can watch aviation stuff on Discovery".

I did. After a very few minutes it was cut by an ad break that was as long as the bit of program had been before the ads. There followed another short snatch of aviation, followed by another ad break of equal length to the snatch of program.

The Aviation channel was thus rendered unwatchable. But at least it killed any lingering doubts as to whether I should take up a Sky subscription.

evansb
13th Mar 2015, 15:24
Ads? Pre-record your programmes and zip through the ads.

IBMJunkman
13th Mar 2015, 16:02
Refunds in order?

Jeremy Clarkson's 'Top Gear' Suspension Could Cost BBC Millions (Report) (http://www.thewrap.com/jeremy-clarksons-top-gear-suspension-could-cost-bbc-millions-report/)

Effluent Man
13th Mar 2015, 16:08
I'm not at all sure about left wing bias.The last two months has been wall to wall good news on the economy. It isn't what I am seeing in reality. What I am seeing is lots of Eastern Europeans washing cars for minimum wage and using the NHS and education services if they have families and contributing nothing by way of taxes. That isn't a dig at those people. In many ways they are to be lauded for their aspirations.

According the the BBC though everything is rosy. My own view is that it's not. A large number of people are merely being busy fools,working hard and getting nowhere. To get somewhere you need to persuade someone to pay you more than you are worth. That means a footballer,a banker or a pop star.....or a TV presenter.

MG23
13th Mar 2015, 18:46
For about £150 a year, 40p a day we get TV with no ads, National & local Radio with no ads,

But it only transmits BBC shows. Or those they've co-produced with those awful American companies, which you can probably see on other channels, anyway.

With a few rare exceptions, I find the best part of watching BBC shows these days is laughing at the ludicrous level of political correctness in just about everything other than Top Gear. But that's not worth paying for, when we could watch a good American show instead (or not watch TV at all).

MG23
13th Mar 2015, 18:50
I'm not at all sure about left wing bias.

When I worked on movies in the UK, I knew quite a few people who worked at the BBC. They were all lefties, and some of them ravingly so.

The BBC is pro-government first, because they don't want to lose their funding, and pro-lefty second, because... well, that's what most of them are.

VP959
13th Mar 2015, 19:01
I've worked for both the BBC and a couple of independent TV production companies. TBH, there was no noticeable difference in terms of the sort of people I worked with, the presenters attitudes, or the way shows were produced.

Only three things stand out.

1) The chuck wagons on BBC location shoots were generally a bit better.

2) The BBC crews and producers seemed completely unconcerned about any notional production budget (the commercial production companies were definitely pretty budget focussed a lot of the time).

3) Most of the crew on independent shoots were self-employed, not employees of the production company. In fact it wasn't unusual for only the producer to be an employee of the production company, with everyone else hired in.

I have to say I never, ever, saw a trace of any political views being expressed, and all were pretty non-PC off-camera. The only consistent trait was that producers were always focussed on the arty-farty stuff and were probably the least practical people I've ever worked with. Some of the camera crew were almost as bad - I well recall telling one of them that he should put vaseline around the end of his lens. He asked why, my response was that it'd be less painful when I stuffed it up his arse.

Windy Militant
13th Mar 2015, 19:27
Possibly a thread drift but the most depressing thing that I've seen is that a million people have voted for Clarkson Whilst only 2,522 joined the petition for a knighthood to honour Capt Eric 'Winkle' Brown.
For me this sums up the sad state of the country.:(

om15
13th Mar 2015, 19:34
Although it is an indisputable fact that some programmes have a left wing bias, news programmes, Today programme and so on, the BBC do in fact show some pretty non pc comedy and drama.
Example is the Count Arthur Strong show, couldn't get much more non pc than that.

G-CPTN
13th Mar 2015, 20:57
Clarkson Told Colleague He Will 'Lose His Job' (http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/clarkson-told-colleague-he-will-lose-his-job/ar-AA9HWX8)

ramble on
13th Mar 2015, 21:07
Hey Windy Militant,

thats a great viewpoint on Eric Winkle Brown.....

I would like to hear Mr Clarkson's own response to that!
I loke to think that he would himself support EWB's Knighthood and direct support that way.

Its hard to believe that the man that personally interviewed Goering and many other Nazis at Nuremberg is still alive.

What a man!

Shack37
13th Mar 2015, 23:02
Possibly a thread drift but the most depressing thing that I've seen is that a million people have voted for Clarkson Whilst only 2,522 joined the petition for a knighthood to honour Capt Eric 'Winkle' Brown.
For me this sums up the sad state of the country.:(

Where is the petition? I haven´t seen it promoted on Prune. If it is here, which thread please?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
13th Mar 2015, 23:07
https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson

Windy Militant
14th Mar 2015, 00:26
I Think Shack37 means this one, there was a thread but it seems to have gone now.
https://www.change.org/p/david-cameron-honour-capt-eric-winkle-brown-with-a-knighthood

Wingswinger
14th Mar 2015, 07:32
You can trust a woman to get it right:

I like Jeremy Clarkson. He is a good egg... - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/top-gear/11463785/I-like-Jeremy-Clarkson.-He-is-a-good-egg....html)

sitigeltfel
14th Mar 2015, 07:52
On a slightly different motoring note, Renault have appointed Cherie Blair to their board of directors.

:hmm:

tony draper
14th Mar 2015, 07:58
Oisin Tymon? sounds like a dammed furriner to me,we are still allowed to punch them aren't we?
:rolleyes:

Effluent Man
14th Mar 2015, 08:15
And he looks like a quare. None of the Clarkson shenanigans offended me in the least. People I come in contact with on a regular basis use all the words he has been in trouble for,apart from slope,we still think of that as a gradient.

I have not managed to watch a program of the current series even half way through though.After ten minutes I just think "Same old". A good time for him to go IMO.

ORAC
14th Mar 2015, 08:26
I have not managed to watch a program of the current series even half way through though.After ten minutes I just think "Same old". A good time for him to go IMO. And he would seem to agree, which may explain why he reported himself. Obviously his co-presenters are not happy at seeing a steady earner disappear.....

Clarkson Hints At Possible Top Gear Exit (http://news.sky.com/story/1444763/clarkson-hints-at-possible-top-gear-exit)

The suspended presenter implies he is a "dinosaur" and says "the day must come when you have to wave goodbye to the big monsters".

OFSO
14th Mar 2015, 09:18
Am I the only one who, on reading the article, thought that the "dinosaurs" and "monsters" he refers to are the BBC ?

coldair
14th Mar 2015, 09:55
OFSO, my thoughts exactly.

I think it is time to think seriously what the BBC is and its whole ethos.

We in the UK spend £145 pa. to fund this left wing Political Correct corporation.

Time to re think the whole purpose of the BBC.

coldair

Krystal n chips
14th Mar 2015, 10:00
" Am I the only one who, on reading the article, thought that the "dinosaurs" and "monsters" he refers to are the BBC

Not at all.

There are several on here who share your views when it comes to anti- BBC sentiments.

Hence the terms used above seem fittingly descriptive of such, the first in particular.

However, the event has led to possibly the first, and probably the last, time the Sun has actually printed a factual statement and headline !

603DX
14th Mar 2015, 11:01
Much current speculation in the media over who might take over from Jezza in a modified, but essentially continued format, should things pan out that way.

I haven't seen any reference yet to the very personable Sabine Schmitz, who in her guest appearances in the programme has managed to make the presently suspended presenter look a complete wimp. Beating his best time around the Nurburgring in a hot Jaguar by an astronomical margin, while driving a commercial van, really rubbed his nose in it. And let's face it, she's much easier on the eye than his badly ageing fizzog ...

Go Sabine!!! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine_Schmitz

Shaggy Sheep Driver
14th Mar 2015, 11:17
I love that Clarkson quote in the Telegraph article in the link above:

Top Gear's attitude can be summed up in 4 words "Oh, for god's sake!"

That's why it's brilliant, and that's why the leftie PC BBC need a bomb under it in the form of no more licence fee.

ORAC
14th Mar 2015, 11:32
There are an awful lot of good lines in this rant.... ;);)

Ageing, middle-class, right-wing: Meet our new lords of misrule (http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/ageing-middleclass-rightwing-meet-our-new-lords-of-misrule-10107397.html)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
14th Mar 2015, 11:50
..apart from the fact that Sir Toby Belch was the antithesis of snobbery, and therefore not how the author portrays Farage, Johnson and Clarkson. Nor are they like Falstaff, since they are not cowards.
And the kids are rebelling against adult values, as ever, they just aren't being aggressive about it this time around. They are simply not listening.

It's a rant,and I suppose that mere facts therefore don't matter ("Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" "Germans?" "Forget it, he's rolling..")

Lon More
14th Mar 2015, 12:09
It's from the Mirror, so obviously unacceptable to some here, Jeremy Clarkson called Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon 'a lazy Irish ****,' BBC probe will be told - Mirror Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarkson-called-top-gear-5330155). If the allegations are true then Clarkson should go

Shack37
14th Mar 2015, 12:17
I Think Shack37 means this one, there was a thread but it seems to have gone now.
https://www.change.org/p/david-camer...h-a-knighthood (https://www.change.org/p/david-cameron-honour-capt-eric-winkle-brown-with-a-knighthood)

Thanks, that´s the one. I´d also vote for him to take over Top Gear.

cockney steve
14th Mar 2015, 12:30
If the allegations are true then he should go
You mean if he really is lazy, Irish and a **** ?

VP959
14th Mar 2015, 13:06
IF (and it's a big IF) the allegations in that Mirror article are true, then it would seem that JC assaulted Oisin Tymon occassioning actual bodily harm (as it seems that he required hospital treatment (IF, and again it's a big IF) the Mirror article is correct (easily checked with the hospital records, anyway)).

Now, the BBC is a public body, so I would suspect it is, or should be, subject to the same rules that apply to other public bodies. As I mentioned here: http://www.pprune.org/8898676-post161.html the first thing any disciplinary investigation HAS to do is determine if a criminal offence may have been committed. At that stage the organisation has no choice whatsoever but to hand the matter to the police for investigation. It isn't optional; if they choose to not tell the police they are themselves potentially committing an offence.

So, why isn't JC being subject to at least a cursory investigation by the local police? It's alleged that he assaulted Oisin Tymon occasioning actual bodily harm, yet the BBC seem to think they are above the law and can handle this internally. That in itself highlights the attitude of the BBC and has a certain resonance with other high profile cases where the BBC refused to engage with the police.

It may well be that Oisin Tymon (who has known JC for many years) has asked for the matter to be kept away from the police, but my understanding is that he has to ask the police to not proceed with any assault investigation, not the BBC. There has been no report of police involvement, yet there seem to have been a few eye witnesses to the incident.

It doesn't look as if the BBC are going to come out of this looking good, and I suspect the ones who will really come out of it laughing all the way to the bank will be JC and Andy Wilman, who may well be free to go off and do something outwith the constraints of the BBC and leave the BBC with a dead programme in which they've invested millions.

charliegolf
14th Mar 2015, 13:30
Be interesting to see, if JC goes, whether May and Hammond 'stand by their man'. They are nobodys by comparison. But I bet they's be quick to be lead TG presenter!

Long legs, blonde hair and big tits on a new third hand will go down well too.

CG

Effluent Man
14th Mar 2015, 14:10
I'm not sure if Sabine Schmitz has those attributes. She gets my vote too though. Good call DX!

Duckbutt
14th Mar 2015, 14:15
BBC web sites apparently not working at present. DoS attack by Clarkson supporters?

om15
14th Mar 2015, 14:17
Article in the Telegraph this morning

Another source said that Clarkson called Tymon, 36, a “lazy Irish c***” before splitting his lip with a punch that left him with blood running down his face.
Tymon is understood to have received treatment at the A&E department at Friarage Hospital, in Northallerton, and is said to have also suffered dizziness.
The producer, who has received abuse on social media following Clarkson’s suspension (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11463383/Jeremy-Clarkson-suspended-after-punching-Top-Gear-producer-in-row-over-catering.html), including violent threats, has consulted lawyers over the incident.
Slater and Gordon solicitors said: “We are assisting Oisin Tymon in relation to incidents occurring during his employment at the BBC.”

Looks like Oisin Tymon is going for a few quid, good luck to him, but agree, if this did happen as reportedwhy aren't the police involved? Clarkson arrived late at the hotel because it is reported that he spent a couple of hours in the pub before the incident.