PDA

View Full Version : Maps / charts for navigation

StudentPilotJourney
10th Mar 2015, 12:13
Hi, I'm in Australia and use (as everyone does) a laminated WAC with control areas drawn in with as much accuracy as possible. It's starting to get pretty daggy from constant folding and I really don't want to go through the exercise of creating a new map and drawing in all of the CTAs using longs and lats.

Has anyone come up with a better way? (Other than using an efb)!

Is there anyway to get a 1:250000 scale VTC in a position to be able to trace it onto a 1:100000 scale WAC?

Might sound stupid but just thought I'd ask the question.

:)

whiskey1
10th Mar 2015, 22:53
Visual Navigation Chart VNC
1 to 500 000
https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/store/html.asp?/bookweb/catalog.cgi?stype=c&stext=VN

Tinstaafl
12th Mar 2015, 01:35
Why bother with laminating charts? They're harder to fold, are bulkier, need special markers**, and solvent to erase. Use unlaminated WACs + soft pencil ( I like 2B) + a soft rubber to erase. Bonus point: unlaminated charts are cheaper!

I have charts that are still easily legible & writeable after 30 years.

Use a VTC or VNC when available. If you must transcribe airspace onto a WAC, only do the airspace that isn't covered by a the previous two charts in the altitudes that you will likely use, typically A100.

Why make life harder for yourself?

**except for the seemingly difficult to obtain 'pearled'/ roughened surface lamination.